As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

President Biden's Cabinet

1505152535456»

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean the white house hold a press conference everyday, and they have officials out, cabinet members touring talking to the press (I mean fuck sake Pete Buttigieg was even on fox for god sake). But because they got so used to palace intrigue bullshit they are unhappy.

Yeah, but what does the official line really mean? Because it can't be the case where they all came to an agreement on policy in a meeting and then say what that agreement entails.

spool32Ardol
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    It's not a real administration until Major Biden gets a cabinet post.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    @AngelHedgie this is not a random link dump thread about all things Biden. Stay on-topic.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Katherine Tai confirmed as top U.S. trade negotiator
    Katherine Tai, a longtime congressional staff lawyer, won Senate confirmation on Wednesday as the first woman of color to serve as the top U.S. trade negotiator.

The Senate approved her nomination 98-0, marking a rare bipartisan agreement in a deeply-divided Washington.

Among her first tasks will be advising the president on what to do about existing tariffs on most imported Chinese products, presiding over enforcement of a new trade deal with Mexico and Canada, and seeking a negotiated end to a long-running commercial dispute with the European Union.

"Katherine Tai, a longtime congressional staff lawyer, won Senate confirmation on Wednesday as the first woman of color to serve as the top U.S. trade negotiator.

Whenever I see this, while it's great this is the case finally, it's also an indictment on the system, that it's taken this long.

Though, to be honest, I was legit surprised when I looked it up, and saw it was a 98-0 confirmation. Honestly thought confirmations would cap out at ~80 votes.

Katherine Tai made her career at the Office of the Trade Representative by going against Beijing on the WTO:
    Katherine is the lead advisor to the Chairman and Democratic Members of the Committee on Ways and Means on matters of international trade. She was named to this position in 2017 after serving three years on the Committee as Trade Counsel.

Katherine came to the Committee in 2014 from USTR’s Office of the General Counsel, first as Associate General Counsel from 2007 to 2011 and then as Chief Counsel for China Trade Enforcement with responsibility for the development and litigation of U.S. disputes against China at the World Trade Organization (WTO). Before joining USTR, Katherine worked in the international trade departments in several Washington, DC law firms. From 1996 to 1998, she lived and worked in Guangzhou, China teaching English at Zhongshan University as a Yale-China Fellow.

Oh, and she is from Taiwanese descent. It shouldn't matter, but it will. So, given that the US is not negotiating any trade deals at the moment thanks to COVID except taking the UK to the cleaners post-Brexit, and given that the national mood is "fuck Xi", that vote doesn't surprise me at all.

man, it's really nice to have a little more subtlety coming out of the white house. Not that this is especially subtle but coming off the last admin you just love to see it.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Biden to nominate official from gun-control group to head ATF
    President Biden will announce a top official from a leading gun-control group as his nominee to head the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives — a key agency in combating gun violence that has gone without a permanent director for years.

Two people familiar with the matter said Biden plans to nominate David Chipman, a veteran ATF special agent who currently serves as senior policy adviser at Giffords, as his ATF director nominee. The people spoke on the condition of anonymity to disclose a personnel decision before it is made public.

Before his current role at Giffords, the advocacy group led by former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), Chipman was a special agent at ATF for more than two decades with a focus on firearms programs, according to the biography on his website.

A good pick.

u7stthr17eud.png
    monikerMarathonkimejmcdonaldNetscapeshrykelonelyahavaN1tSt4lkerGiantGeek2020Stabbity Styleoverride367Kayne Red RobeLord_AsmodeusShadowfireMillGennenalyse RuebenMan in the MistsElvenshaeRMS Oceanic38thDoeEinzelsarukunNo-QuarterSleepApogeeJaysonFour
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Wow so someone concerned about guns falling into the wrong hands in charge of an agency who's task that is, and he literally worked there previously? I dunno might be too competent.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    MorganVCommander ZoomN1tSt4lkerTofystedethFencingsaxStarZapperLord_AsmodeusShadowfireGennenalyse RuebenMan in the MistsElvenshaeToxNobeardsarukunKanaRhesus PositiveNo-QuarterAridholJaysonFour
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited April 7
    Wow so someone concerned about guns falling into the wrong hands in charge of an agency who's task that is, and he literally worked there previously? I dunno might be too competent.

I can't see any Republican voting for him, and unless there's already a deal made, there's likely several Democrats that will have objection there.

Especially Manchin. Sure, this is ten years old, but still...

Heck, this one is from three years ago.

I'll be shocked if he gets confirmed.

MorganV on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    We'll see, does Manchin really want to be seen as pro no gun enforcement with the recent mass shootings?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 7
    We'll see, does Manchin really want to be seen as pro no gun enforcement with the recent mass shootings?

Oh, I'm not saying he's full raving gun nut. After all, he does have the failed Manchin-Toomey bill on his resume.

But I can absolutely see him saying "This guy is too extreme (cause of who he works for), give me someone a little less so, and I'll vote for them.".

Just like he did on the minimum wage, and he's looking to do on the corporate tax rate.

Attempting to be "reasonable" by rejecting initial offers.

Going out of the gate with someone from a gun control advocacy group? I don't like the odds.

MorganV on
    CelestialBadgerNetscape

Oh, I'm not saying he's full raving gun nut. After all, he does have the failed Manchin-Toomey bill on his resume.

But I can absolutely see him saying "This guy is too extreme (cause of who he works for), give me someone a little less so, and I'll vote for them.".

Just like he did on the minimum wage, and he's looking to do on the corporate tax rate.

Going out of the gate with someone from a gun control advocacy group? I don't like the odds.

That gun control advocacy group being the one run by a former Congresswoman who was shot in the head, and who is now currently a Senate spouse and likely knows Manchin personally.

jmcdonaldPreacherFencingsaxMan in the MistsElvenshaeToxButtersN1tSt4lkerJaysonFour
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

That gun control advocacy group being the one run by a former Congresswoman who was shot in the head, and who is now currently a Senate spouse and likely knows Manchin personally.

Which feels entirely intentional on Biden's part to me.

jmcdonaldPreacherFencingsaxmonikerLord_AsmodeusMillGennenalyse RuebenGiantGeek2020ElvenshaeButtersDoodmanniTunesIsEvilEinzelN1tSt4lkerRhesus PositiveJaysonFour
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    It may be a novel approach but we could at least theoretically wait to see if Manchin is going to be a shit before we complain about him being a shit :P

monikerKayne Red RobecrzyangoPreacherGiantGeek2020MillMan in the MistsEinzelN1tSt4lkerKanaJaysonFour
  • GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    It may be a novel approach but we could at least theoretically wait to see if Manchin is going to be a shit before we complain about him being a shit :P

Though the odds of him being a shit remain disturbingly high.

3. A surprisingly small number of adults have attempted the largely successful, “Punch the small children to escape” tactic.
    Kayne Red RobeMan in the MistsHappylilElfElvenshaeMorganVNobeardJaysonFour
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 22
    So I dunno if we have anyone from Tuscon who can comment, but Biden's planning on nominating their chief of police to head CBP. The good news is the CBP union (fascists) haaaaaaaaate him. Did things like refused to allow Tuscon police to help them with their bullshit.

enlightenedbum on
    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    GiantGeek2020MorganVPreachermonikerTicaldfjamToxMan in the MistsiTunesIsEvilButtersNo-QuartersarukunJaysonFour
    So I dunno if we have anyone from Tuscon who can comment, but Biden's planning on nominating their chief of police to head CBP. The good news is the CBP union (fascists) haaaaaaaaate him. Did things like refused to allow Tuscon police to help them with their bullshit.

That's the kind of endorsement I like to hear.

DoodmannmonikerCommander ZoomTicaldfjamGiantGeek2020ToxElvenshaeMan in the MistsNetscapeMvrckLord_AsmodeusBullheadDoctorArchKayne Red RobezagdrobRhesus PositiveKamarNo-QuarterNobeardlonelyahavasarukunJaysonFour
    edited April 23

Can't ask for a better character reference than that.

MorganV on
    DevoutlyApatheticShadowfiremonikerStabbity StyleN1tSt4lkerCommander ZoomLabelTicaldfjamGiantGeek2020AistanToxElvenshaeMan in the MistsNetscapeMvrckLord_AsmodeusBullheadiTunesIsEvilButtersMillKayne Red RobeMazzyxbowenzagdrobKamarNo-QuarterNobeardGennenalyse RuebenDark Raven XlonelyahavasarukunJaysonFour
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    White House compiles report that says of Biden's 1,500 admin appointees
    —58% are women
    —18% Black
    —15% Hispanic
    —15% Asian American or Pacific Islander
    —3% Middle Eastern or North African
    —2% American Indian or Alaska Native
    —14% LGBTQ+
    —4% are veterans
    —3% have a disability.
    Bloomberg reporter

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/20693376-100-day-fact-sheet-final

Away from the relative spotlight of Cabinet confirmation positions, there's still lots of diversity from the Biden admin.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    MorganVKayne Red RobeGiantGeek2020MarathonShadowfiremonikerNo-QuarterTicaldfjamMazzyxNobeardIncenjucariTunesIsEvilStarZapperCaptain InertiaFencingsaxElvenshaeMunkus BeaverJragghenArdolN1tSt4lkerForarStabbity StyleAtomikaMillToxGennenalyse RuebenLabelLord_AsmodeusNetscapesarukunJaysonFour
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I would be very curious to see a comparison of where Trump was at appointment-wise at the 100 day mark. Because this seems like a particularly impressive feat by the Biden admin to get this many people in place.

oldmanken wrote: »
    I would be very curious to see a comparison of where Trump was at appointment-wise at the 100 day mark. Because this seems like a particularly impressive feat by the Biden admin to get this many people in place.

I'm pretty sure a not insignificant part of it is that those posts were either empty now, or filled with incompetents, when they typically would have a holdover from the previous Administration who is qualified and doesn't have much discretion to impact policy and so there is less of a need to fill them quickly.

And, perennial complaint: the Plum Book needs to be cut in half at least. Because a lot of those postings should probably be career civil service.

jmcdonaldshrykeMorganVDoodmannCaptain InertiaFencingsaxElvenshaeArdolGiantGeek2020MvrckHedgethornMillLord_AsmodeusBigJoeMNetscapesarukun
    moniker wrote: »

I'm pretty sure a not insignificant part of it is that those posts were either empty now, or filled with incompetents, when they typically would have a holdover from the previous Administration who is qualified and doesn't have much discretion to impact policy and so there is less of a need to fill them quickly.

And, perennial complaint: the Plum Book needs to be cut in half at least. Because a lot of those postings should probably be career civil service.

The amount of positions in the US government that are politically appointed is insane.

XaquinTicaldfjamMorganVCelestialBadgerjmcdonaldCaptain InertiaFencingsaxmonikerElvenshaeRedTideShadowfireArdolBullheadGiantGeek2020N1tSt4lkerKayne Red RobeMillGennenalyse RuebenLabelRhesus PositiveLord_AsmodeusStabbity StyleDavid WalgasBigJoeMNetscapeSpoitButters
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    —58% are women
    —18% Black
    —15% Hispanic
    —14% LGBTQ+
    —4% are veterans
    —3% have a disability.
    Bloomberg reporter

Away from the relative spotlight of Cabinet confirmation positions, there's still lots of diversity from the Biden admin.

That’s fantastic diversity and also holy shit that’s a lot of appointments but also holy shot that was a lot of vacancies from the previous shitshow

ElvenshaeMorganVTofystedethGiantGeek2020N1tSt4lkerAtomikaTicaldfjamCentipede DamascusGennenalyse RuebenRhesus PositiveLord_AsmodeusJaysonFour
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Trump was probably on his second person in some positions.

oldmankenElvenshaeFencingsaxTicaldfjamNetscape
    PantsB wrote: »
    —58% are women
    —18% Black
    —15% Hispanic
    —14% LGBTQ+
    —4% are veterans
    —3% have a disability.
    Bloomberg reporter

That’s fantastic diversity and also holy shit that’s a lot of appointments but also holy shot that was a lot of vacancies from the previous shitshow

It's why, as much as he wasn't my first (or fourth) preference for the job of President in a vacuum, I do think he was probably the best choice to be THIS President.

Beyond his electoral appeal to people who might not have given others a look, he and the people he surrounded himself with, knew what was needed to have a functioning government, and just how much in the shit the previous guy had left things, and how to accomplish that correction.

Other candidates might have been better at getting the things Democratic voters wanted doing, but noone on the debate stages was a suited to fixing the mistakes of the former guy, and getting the country back on the right footing, while not getting bogged down by the conservative shitfling machine.

jmcdonaldDoodmannStarZapperzagdrobCommander ZoomCelestialBadgerTynnanschussXaquinFencingsaxBullheadGiantGeek2020N1tSt4lkerautono-wally, erotibot300ForarKanaGennenalyse RuebenlonelyahavaLord_AsmodeusStabbity StyleJaysonFour
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    We're getting lefty policies with moderate street cred. It's kind of ideal.

Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    MarathonXaquinmonikerGiantGeek2020shrykeNo-Quarter38thDoeKanaZibblsnrtMillTicaldfjamragnarok7331Gennenalyse RuebenlonelyahavaLord_AsmodeusStabbity StyleNetscapeJaysonFour
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

I seem to recall his leaving a huge number of positions vacant for several months out of a combination of "civil service bad" and just not bothering with putting in the basic work. The diplomatic corps was nonexistent for ages, for instance.

monikerFencingsaxKayne Red RobeshrykeMan in the MistsElvenshaeLord_AsmodeuszagdrobNetscape
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

I seem to recall his leaving a huge number of positions vacant for several months out of a combination of "civil service bad" and just not bothering with putting in the basic work. The diplomatic corps was nonexistent for ages, for instance.

There was also the alphabetization of the picks he did make.

I remember it being reported that when given a list, he'd just pick the first name so often, which were in alphabetic order, that they had to start randomizing the list so that it wasn't so damn obvious what he was doing.

Everyone focused on his corruption, and incompetence, but the laziness was right up there as one of his core "values".

Commander ZoomFencingsaxMan in the MistsMvrckautono-wally, erotibot300Lord_AsmodeuszagdrobmonikerGiantGeek2020BullheadSleepTofystedethLord PalingtonshrykeVeagleForarwebguy20N1tSt4lkerNetscapeShadowfiresarukun
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    It's amazing how bad Trump was at everything. He couldn't even manage to dole out patronage jobs properly.

I'd be perfectly happy with changing a lot of the appointed positions to regular civil service jobs, with all the protections that entails... once they've been filled with Biden nominees.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Xaquin
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    daveNYC wrote: »
    It's amazing how bad Trump was at everything. He couldn't even manage to dole out patronage jobs properly.

I'd be perfectly happy with changing a lot of the appointed positions to regular civil service jobs, with all the protections that entails... once they've been filled with Biden nominees.

Looking back I think the fact that while Trump is a scam artist he's fundamentally a lazy scam artist saved us from things becoming so much worse. I can only imagine the bullshit that people wanted him to do that he couldn't be bothered with.

HappylilElf on
    FencingsaxHarry DresdenzagdrobmonikerKayne Red RobeGiantGeek2020jmcdonaldEmperorSethBullheadSleepDoodmannshrykeVeagleTicaldfjamXaquinCommander ZoomLabelN1tSt4lkerMorganVShadowfiresarukunButtersLord_Asmodeus
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Richard Cordray, the ex-consumer protection chief who is a close ally of Senator Elizabeth Warren, will head the federal student aid office, a key post in the swirling debate over student debt.

NYTimes is occasionally a news organization.

Cordray is a good sign being put in that position.

u7stthr17eud.png
    DoodmannshrykeTofystedethGiantGeek2020RMS OceanicFencingsaxNo-QuarterFuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudCelestialBadgermonikerNetscapelonelyahavaLabelCommander ZoomMan in the MistsStabbity StyleElJeffeN1tSt4lkerShadowfireElvenshaeMechMantisTicaldfjamMillButtersJaysonFourLord_Asmodeus
    The implied Warren endorsement is always good to see.

TofystedethFencingsax38thDoeFuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudmonikerNetscapelonelyahavaIncenjucarMvrckLabelCommander ZoomMan in the MistsStabbity StyleN1tSt4lkerShadowfireGnizmoEmperorSethElvenshaeTicaldfjamMillBullheadButtersJaysonFourEinzelLord_Asmodeus