As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Beyond Light: Out Now!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The whole reason I even wanted this was so I could rock my Y1 flawless set on my titan, but lmao they couldn't even do that right so idk, color me completely unimpressed and nonplussed.

They are at least working on that. I suspect it's some stupid quirk of how Y1 armour ornaments were programmed because under the hood this game is made of sillyputty and the slow death of hope.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I remember looking at my FWC set ornaments right after transmog was announced and getting excited, before immediately thinking that somehow the fact that they were ornaments was going to fuck something up.

august on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I sometimes wonder if Bungie is trying to parody themselves with stuff like this.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The way I read the TWAB is that the vanilla Trials armor should work, but not the ornaments that were added in Curse of Osiris. Same with Prestige Leviathan armor and Prestige raid lair armor. Hopefully that's the case, because I want to rock my warlock's glowing Trials of the Nine armor. I never got any of the ornaments.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    They've noted that the first set of Armor Glows on Solstice Armor won't work, but the new set will. At a certain point, it doesn't matter how bad the engine code is, they are just outright stealing from people. Selling paid cosmetics and then making them not work later on through stupidity or refusing to put in the necessary work to make it functional once again.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah, it just seems like they aren't investing the time to make it 100%. I understand destiny is held together by sticks and gum but at a certain point I can't make any more excuses for them. Transmog would have been an easy win for bungie but they did what everyone expected and made it another treadmill, while also not landing the execution enough to encompass all the armor in the game. So on top of seemingly doing it somewhat half assed, they're using it to make money off whales who just want everything day one. It's a bummer :(

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    They put a hard cap of two armor set appearance unlocks per season (per class). How many new armor sets are there per season? I bet it's more than two!

Oh, but don't worry, they are magnanimously letting us get four unlocks per class in the debut season! Because that puts a dent in the giant pile of Y1 armor sitting in my vault.

Come on, Bungie.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Datto talks about transmog today and he just gave up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv6OMW-4Iqk

He says he's not going to argue against it because it's a money thing and that's why they're doing it, which is the most ass-backwards logic ever.
    Hey here's something fun: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/the-division/the-division-2/news-updates/457wEeFBWn5tPKbqZpPhPm/gear-transmogrification-breakdown
    The Division 2 has the exact transmog system everyone wants. You can make any non-unique armor piece look like any other piece you've ever collected from that same slot, even making them look like set items. No costs, no limited unlocks.

• Options
    taco543taco543 Loser CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

He says he's not going to argue against it because it's a money thing and that's why they're doing it, which is the most ass-backwards logic ever.

and this is why I hate datto. "This move is anti consumer and player, I get it, moving along...."

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The transmog thing is too many fuckups on top of each other. I think enough people are excited about transmog that one of those things individually would’ve produced some grumbles as people moved on to collect their new ornaments, but they managed to deliver the worst possible solution for almost every piece of the system.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    taco543 wrote: »

and this is why I hate datto. "This move is anti consumer and player, I get it, moving along...."

I'm not sure what the issue there is. Like, that's the industry. Gotta get that microtransaction money. Being like "Yup, that's the way it is" doesn't mean you like it.

Right from the first announcement it was obvious this was mostly gonna be a way to soak the whales for some more cash. The only question was what the rest of us could get for free out of the deal.

shryke on
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I knew this was gunna be a monkey paw, but there's only two sets I'm interested in as a Titan main:
    EDZ
    Escalation Protocol

It's unclear if those will work because they're year 1? Idk.

I mean I knew it was gunna be grind, but the fact there's so many useless transitional items is just hilarious. The Rick and Morty quote as the top comment in the reddit post is hilariously apt.

• Options
    I knew this was gunna be a monkey paw, but there's only two sets I'm interested in as a Titan main:
    EDZ
    Escalation Protocol

It's unclear if those will work because they're year 1? Idk.

I mean I knew it was gunna be grind, but the fact there's so many useless transitional items is just hilarious. The Rick and Morty quote as the top comment in the reddit post is hilariously apt.

It sounds like only Y1 ornaments aren't going to be allowed. So the sets themselves will be fine. It's the ornaments they gave out in CoO and Warmind that are a technical hurdle.

• Options
    Datto's supposed to have his finger on the pulse of the community, and I get some people may share his overall... Jaded outlook, I don't think "yeah so what" speaks to what the average player feels about it. Remember when bungie made it easier to throw away shaders? It was a solution to a problem, they didn't come up with some crazy currency you needed to use to dismantle shaders, it was a flat quality of life change. Bungie is absolutely capable of doing things without turning it into another avenue to scrape some money off people. I could maybe stomach a one time charge, like 20 bucks to open up the entire collections as ornaments right away. That isn't what we got, and they should get called out for turning this easy win into pocket money. Considering they already charge us for some of the best armor in the game, they're essentially double dipping with some of the pieces.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Datto's supposed to have his finger on the pulse of the community, and I get some people may share his overall... Jaded outlook, I don't think "yeah so what" speaks to what the average player feels about it. Remember when bungie made it easier to throw away shaders? It was a solution to a problem, they didn't come up with some crazy currency you needed to use to dismantle shaders, it was a flat quality of life change. Bungie is absolutely capable of doing things without turning it into another avenue to scrape some money off people. I could maybe stomach a one time charge, like 20 bucks to open up the entire collections as ornaments right away. That isn't what we got, and they should get called out for turning this easy win into pocket money. Considering they already charge us for some of the best armor in the game, they're essentially double dipping with some of the pieces.

He is?

When I started watching his videos with D2 I mostly got the impression he had a reputation of some sort with the community for being a lot more "Yeah, whatever, that's the way it is" about all the monetization things. Like the way he'd talk it sounds like this has been a divergence in opinion between him and the community since Eververse dropped or something. That he's famously never agreed with the community at large on this issue.

My impression of his opinion on these things, at least from previous times he's talked about it, is that he thinks no amount of complaining is ever going to fundamentally change the business model here because the need to monetize the game via eververse purchases is non-negotiable.

shryke on
  • Options
    He's the creator they invited on to interview Luke Smith, in which he literally played the part of the community asking atleast somewhat tough questions. I give datto credit for usually being the most reasonable voice in the room but I think in general the community feels like we're not getting much content already, so for them to further saturate the game with pointless loops and less meaningful content feels like a waste of development time. Transmog is one the few things you can directly hold and compare to how other games handled it, so it's even more in your face apparent.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    as someone who has watched wayyyyyy too many datto videos

datto's whole schtick since forsaken/riven broke his spirit is to try and get away from the whole 'imagining the beautiful game that destiny could be with stars in our eyes' thing that tends to be a big part of the community. Basically everyone who gets too into Destiny spends a lot of time imagining how good it could be if Bungie could just do X or Y or Z. I guess for him that was too much of an emotional rollercoaster so he's instead deciding to accept the sort of game destiny is and stop hoping that the next expansion will be the promised land. Part of that is not getting upset when bungie does something obviously stupid like *checks notes* creates a whole new grind ecosystem because just letting people transmog would be too easy for some reason

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    shryke wrote: »

He is?

When I started watching his videos with D2 I mostly got the impression he had a reputation of some sort with the community for being a lot more "Yeah, whatever, that's the way it is" about all the monetization things. Like the way he'd talk it sounds like this has been a divergence in opinion between him and the community since Eververse dropped or something. That he's famously never agreed with the community at large on this issue.

My impression of his opinion on these things, at least from previous times he's talked about it, is that he thinks no amount of complaining is ever going to fundamentally change the business model here because the need to monetize the game via eververse purchases is non-negotiable.

he used to be a lot less jaded but i guess having destiny as a job for 7 years does that to a man

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Having watched the Datto transmog video now, yeah, it's basically what I was expecting. He thinks it's bad but he thinks there's no way some basic things about it are gonna change because the entire point is to soak whales for cash.

Which, I mean, yeah. I think that's entirely accurate. I can't find myself upset that he thinks it's not gonna fundamentally change.

shryke on
  • Options
    My general impression of Datto is that he's a guy who cares about gameplay, and that's it.

He clearly doesn't care very much about possibly exploitive cosmetic microtransactions and I don't think that's going to change.

I don't think it's his job to represent the community wrt things he doesn't care about, and making Destiny content doesn't seem to be his full-time job anyway.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    potential next season leak btw, the name was found on bungie.net
    Using Chrome's dev tools you can see various referral strings, like for example referral links to the site from emails and what have you. There are strings in there for the various seasons, and now there's
    Season of the Splicer

Also, at the start of the season, people datamined various text strings from the update, and found
    "Splicers working with Guardians, Eliksni in the City… Things really are changing."
    and
    "Count of Splicer Captain killed."

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I mean. It’s a laughably predictably bungie move here. Like it’s the most cynical way they could’ve gone

But

The reality is... it’s transmog in destiny. It’ll allow me to actually care about how I look and grind towards cool styles. Overall it’s a big plus compared to it not being there

So... hurray? I guess? But holy crap is it... just laughable of a blowing of good will right out the gate

616610-1.png
  • Options
    This might be dumb but I wonder if it would have set expectations more appropriately if, instead ADA-1 handling transmog in-universe, Tess Everis handled the whole thing

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Using Chrome's dev tools you can see various referral strings, like for example referral links to the site from emails and what have you. There are strings in there for the various seasons, and now there's
    Season of the Splicer

Also, at the start of the season, people datamined various text strings from the update, and found
    "Splicers working with Guardians, Eliksni in the City… Things really are changing."
    and

Sounds a little like this fan-made season idea that's been floating around recently...
    ...called Season Of The Plague, based around the return of SIVA.

• Options
    august wrote: »
    This might be dumb but I wonder if it would have set expectations more appropriately if, instead ADA-1 handling transmog in-universe, Tess Everis handled the whole thing
    They probably did that on purpose because the Eververse name is so ingrained as "bad thing" to destiny players

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Season of the Splicer

and

Sounds a little like this fan-made season idea that's been floating around recently...
    ...called Season Of The Plague, based around the return of SIVA.

Definitely, although
    Splicer is apparently a generic Fallen term for Ripper-Doc, basically, so SIVA doesn't necessarily have to be involved. I wonder if Praksis managed to survive somehow? It would also be nice if Mithrax was our new quest giver.

• Options
    n14bikci5482.jpg
    It's gween

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The transmog system definitely sounds sub-ideal. I’ve also never used a transmog system in any game I’ve ever played, as I am a weirdo who fundamentally dislikes his gear not looking like what it actually is.

But hooboy what a bunch of hoops for folks that just want their space immortal to have a certain hat.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    The year 1 ornament news is still bumming me out a little because that's the armor that has really been inaccessible and there's not a ton of pieces that I want from it but there are a few, including this cloak which I didn't appreciate appropriately in the moment but goddamn dude just look at that thing it's siiiiiiick

Peen on
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I'm just psyched that the Prodigal Set is within the range of stuff that can be synthesized, that warlock set was my jam for the goddamn near the entirety of D1 and now it shall be forever more.

And the Bloodmane shader looks AWESOME on it.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    The year 1 ornament news is still bumming me out a little because that's the armor that has really been inaccessible and there's not a ton of pieces that I want from it but there are a few, including this cloak which I didn't appreciate appropriately in the moment but goddamn dude just look at that thing it's siiiiiiick

Faction Rally cloaks are non-sunset because they came back a season or two ago. So you can rock that clock right now if it's dropped for you.

I say that as someone who is rocking some of those Y1 Faction ornaments, including that cloak, right now.

• Options
    Trials is Jav4 because damn right it is

Messenger at 3 and arms at 5

• Options
    edited April 2021

The dead orbit motif of a snake and the traveler impaled on a sword was so cool edgy goth teen I loved it

It's a shame that it was only around for that one really bad event

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Faction Rally cloaks are non-sunset because they came back a season or two ago. So you can rock that clock right now if it's dropped for you.

I say that as someone who is rocking some of those Y1 Faction ornaments, including that cloak, right now.

dang I'd totally forgotten about this, thanks for the reminder that I should keep an eye on my world drops instead of just reflexively deleting everything.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Insight Terminus was the first GM, and I remember it was a pretty hard adjustment. So I was worried LFG would be tough to get into for it.

Turns out we stomped it first try with no mics - 2 Ursa and a medic-Nightstalker and we only had a bit of trouble on the boss when people kept getting murdered by his voop.

Clearly GMs are a skillset that we've been developing.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    It’s kinda dookie how they’re doing transmog, but I’m looking and I’m not sure there’s enough pieces that I want to even use up the limited amount

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    ...yeah, I got echo chambered out when I was saying transmog was starting to look like iffy implementation a week or two ago.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-23-destiny-2s-new-transmog-system-sounds-like-a-parody

So not only armor only, but also awful to boot? I'm not sure who can read that and think "Man, sounds good!"

• Options
    Raynaga wrote: »
    ...yeah, I got echo chambered out when I was saying transmog was starting to look like iffy implementation a week or two ago.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-23-destiny-2s-new-transmog-system-sounds-like-a-parody

So not only armor only, but also awful to boot? I'm not sure who can read that and think "Man, sounds good!"

You got what now?

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Raynaga wrote: »

3 people disagreeing with you with one post each that weapons transmog would be a good and/or balanced idea that you didn’t respond to over 2 weeks hardly counts as “getting echo chambered out”, but that’s just my read of the situation.

You said something, people gave reasons why they didn’t think it was a good idea, and the thread moved on.

ronzo on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    That's not really accurate. You didn't say "transmog was starting to look iffy"

You were disappointed transmog didn't include weapons, and most of the people responding didn't agree with your view on that

That really has nothing to do with the steps and limitations they've placed on the armor transmog

edit - hopefully our two responses aren't another echo chamber

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL