As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Gundam Plastic Model

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Gundam Plastic Model

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    PALaxxPALaxx Registered User regular
    >they're cheaper than Lego!

As I look around my living room with my assortment of large Star Wars Lego "decorative" builds, I find myself being attacked.

• Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    >they're cheaper than Lego!
    And booze is cheaper than a college degree.

• Options
    MultimeltaMultimelta Registered User new member
    Fuck yeah! Finally some Gunpla representation! Ironically, without a display case I have all my little mobile suits in each of their own little coffins waiting for the day I have a space to display them.

• Options
    KrisfallionKrisfallion Registered User new member
    For those who might be interested in the TV show itself, I recommend starting with the first: "Mobile Suit Gundam" which is available on streaming services. It was one of the first animated shows of its kind where the giant robot was portrayed as just a machine of war and not a super hero. An excellent way to complement watching it is to listen to "The Great Gundam Project" podcast put out by Abnormal Mapping, two fine individuals who have committed themselves to watching two episodes a week, in chronological order, of ALL of Gundam. Needless to say, they have their work cut out for them for the next decade.

• Options
    terrantterrant Registered User new member
    Right with Gabe on this one. I decided to build models as a COVID hobby. I wanted to build fictional spaceships, until I saw the only Rocinante model kit I could find cost like 300 bucks.

So I turned to Gunpla to get experience building something before I spent a fortune on bigger kits, and now I'm contemplating how many Master Grades I can afford in a given time period. I may have an addiction,

• Options
    Radiated RoninRadiated Ronin Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    And now all I want is a Gundam coffin.

Radiated Ronin on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I like that Gabe's tombstone has a Pacman symbol on it, which I was initially expecting to be on the coffin

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    terrant wrote: »
    Right with Gabe on this one. I decided to build models as a COVID hobby. I wanted to build fictional spaceships, until I saw the only Rocinante model kit I could find cost like 300 bucks.

So I turned to Gunpla to get experience building something before I spent a fortune on bigger kits, and now I'm contemplating how many Master Grades I can afford in a given time period. I may have an addiction,

"May?"

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Even in death I still serve...

• Options
    KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    Cominng from someone who spent hundreds of dollars on these in the 90's - 00's I don't have a problem with this. :)

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    My problem with gunpla is that I don't really like the standard white gundam. I like a slightly more varied kit, like the Aldnoah zero mech or the one from Xenoblade X. Otherwise I'd buy way more of them. My most recent dive has been into the hexa gear kits, which are fun and really unusual.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    And now all I want is a Gundam coffin.

Yeah a Gundam coffin would be...pretty fucking rad actually

• Options
    DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Gunpla became my COVID hobby. Started up early 2020 and have quite the healthy collection going. Here's a couple of my faves:

fdcrfugcsy7b.jpg
    uv6avk3id97w.jpg

And I can confirm, cheaper than LEGO. And delightfully posable, too.

Edit: initial image uploads were enormous, whoops

Divebommah on
  • Options
    ArtisticLicenseArtisticLicense Registered User new member
    This is brilliant. I too have found Gundam during Covid.

• Options
    AsheramAsheram Registered User regular
    As someone who paints warhammer, I get you. 100%

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Can't help myself, just one more:

8lpfjpwr6aae.jpg

Cat tax is paid. And, uh, pardon the dust. We're getting ready to move and everything is disturbed.

Divebommah on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Still a fan of (Universal Century) Gundam, which has always been better than Star Wars. But I was starting to move on as the whole Gunpla thing was surging in worldwide popularity. I barely even bought anything at the Gundam Base. Though in my defense, I was packing ultra-light. And that Sazabi that caught my eye was so huge, I'd probably have to pay for a second seat to bring it back.

That said, I'm happy for y'all.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Still a fan of (Universal Century) Gundam, which has always been better than Star Wars. But I was starting to move on as the whole Gunpla thing was surging in worldwide popularity. I barely even bought anything at the Gundam Base. Though in my defense, I was packing ultra-light. And that Sazabi that caught my eye was so huge, I'd probably have to pay for a second seat to bring it back.

That said, I'm happy for y'all.

I have a RG Sazabi and it is truly a masterpiece. And a beast. I'm eyeballing the MG version but I'm not sure my desk would support the weight...

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    That coffin better be 1:1, otherwise I don't see why anyone would even bother.
    Divebommah wrote: »
    Can't help myself, just one more:

Man, I need to get myself a Barbatos. Iron-Blooded Oprhans was the first Gundam I watched and it got me hooked.

• Options
    SonicAutumn SonicAutumn Registered User new member
    But why, when you could build robotech instead, and have it transform into a fighter

• Options
    But why, when you could build robotech instead, and have it transform into a fighter

Robotech's figures are also supremely cool! They can be quite pricey though. Some Gundam kits do have transformations as well (The Rezel's and Deltas and double zeta come to mind) though they aren't anywhere as graceful.

• Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Okay, I know they don't check the forums, but someone needs to tell Gabe to fix this subtle mindf*ck level blurriness that's been on the past few comics. This is the third time I've loaded the page, squinted, and then realized it wasn't me. Is he double-layering everything at super high resolution and then tapping one of the layers over 1 pixel just to screw with us?

I don't know if I can continue reading if this keeps up, because it's not blurry ENOUGH to let me just realize it's the image and not my eyes. My brain keeps trying to correct and focus on the image, and it causes me literal pain. >_o

Zomagic on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Are you sure that's not just you or your device? I don't see anything different.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    It's such a mindfuck that I can't even see it.

Feel free to drop by the next drawing stream and tell him all your requests. In fact, here's the video of him drawing this one, so you can give him timestamps on exactly where he went wrong.