As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice on the ice maker, I’ll thaw it tomorrow and see the damage.

As an FYI, what an old riding mower saves in money it will cost you blood. Drive pulley fell off the engine and shredded the lower drive belt. Multiple fingers were stubbed and an appropriate amount of blood was drawn as sacrifice. Replaced the upper drive belt for good measure as well. But it works again for about $60 in belts, so no complaints from me.

And the damage appears to be a broken feed tube. Unfortunately it requires replacement of the entire feed tube assembly to repair it. Got a new one on the way and the ice maker turned off right now. As long it doesn’t run, it shouldn’t leak now. I’m guessing it developed a small leak inside the freezer and freezing water provided the final kick to failure.

Thanks again for the advice.

Another update: woke up this morning to a puddle of water in the floor. I'm pretty sure the real culprit is actually that the feed valve for the freezer is leaking even when the ice maker is off, which slowly fills the feed tube which leaks into the freezer and freezes. Still busted the feed tube, but now I had to order another $70 of parts.

When will my misery end?

when you get to replace the fridge! (is fridge correct when its refrigerator, the added 'd' makes me nervous)

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice on the ice maker, I’ll thaw it tomorrow and see the damage.

As an FYI, what an old riding mower saves in money it will cost you blood. Drive pulley fell off the engine and shredded the lower drive belt. Multiple fingers were stubbed and an appropriate amount of blood was drawn as sacrifice. Replaced the upper drive belt for good measure as well. But it works again for about $60 in belts, so no complaints from me.

And the damage appears to be a broken feed tube. Unfortunately it requires replacement of the entire feed tube assembly to repair it. Got a new one on the way and the ice maker turned off right now. As long it doesn’t run, it shouldn’t leak now. I’m guessing it developed a small leak inside the freezer and freezing water provided the final kick to failure.

Another update: woke up this morning to a puddle of water in the floor. I'm pretty sure the real culprit is actually that the feed valve for the freezer is leaking even when the ice maker is off, which slowly fills the feed tube which leaks into the freezer and freezes. Still busted the feed tube, but now I had to order another $70 of parts.

When will my misery end?

when you get to replace the fridge! (is fridge correct when its refrigerator, the added 'd' makes me nervous)

Then the new fridge does the same thing! But it's a new misery.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Gonna get fridge'd, man!

Built-in ice makers are so convenient, but when they fail it can be such a disaster I'm not sure it's worth it, even given how generally rare such catastrophe's are.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Mine shit the bed but it was just the bin cracking apart so it'd freeze solid all the time. Replaced the assembly and it was fine.

I've been eyeballing an under-the-counter built-in ice maker to replace the non-functional trash compactor in my soon-to-be-god-willing-new house. Do they tend to suffer the same litany of problems? It still makes ice but the ice just sits in the tub instead of having an agitator rumbling it around.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »

When will my misery end?

The misery ends when you sell the house.

My understanding is that icemakers/water dispensers in fridges are the component most likely to fail, for exactly the reasons you might think. So the actual solution is to get a fridge that doesn't have that feature.

Or just get a fridge that has the feature, and if its too expensive to replace, pretend you bought one without it.
    Ice maker and water dispenser are a great feature.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mine shit the bed but it was just the bin cracking apart so it'd freeze solid all the time. Replaced the assembly and it was fine.

I've been eyeballing an under-the-counter built-in ice maker to replace the non-functional trash compactor in my soon-to-be-god-willing-new house. Do they tend to suffer the same litany of problems? It still makes ice but the ice just sits in the tub instead of having an agitator rumbling it around.

You can get models that will produce "pebbled" ice (the little cylinder style bits you get at some places) that would be easier to use.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

You can get models that will produce "pebbled" ice (the little cylinder style bits you get at some places) that would be easier to use.

Yeah, that seems to be how the majority of the dedicated ice makers work. I guess it's faster/less faulty?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Yeah, that seems to be how the majority of the dedicated ice makers work. I guess it's faster/less faulty?

They chill the drink faster, are nicer to chew, and for a bar/restaurant, the smaller nuggets pack tighter in the glass so they make more money giving the customer less actual drink.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular

My father installed one of these at his house a few months back as part of a larger kitchen reno and loves it so far, and the ice is really great for mixed drinks. Had the unexpected bonus of being able to route the drip line through the wall to a dog dish outside, so now the dogs have another constant source of fresh water.

On another note, we just got our tax return this year and it is nice, especially after getting hit with an unexpected 5-figure tax bill 2 years ago. And now I am tempted...
    k0jpisaoj6km.png

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Obligatory, "buying electric appliances is the single largest impact you can have on your carbon footprint" post.

Damn that's a good looking stove though.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Obligatory, "buying electric appliances is the single largest impact you can have on your carbon footprint" post.

Damn that's a good looking stove though.

Dual fuel, so gas stove top with electric oven. Still a marked improvement on our current all-gas setup, especially with how much baking my other half does.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    All gas, all the time. Just like me (my kids would say)

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think I could ever get rid of my gas cooktop. Coils are horrible and I don't like glass cooktops.

• Options
    Gas oven baking is black magic, I says.

That's a sexy stove. What brand is that?

Though I can only imagine the volume of cat toys (and probably cats) under that thing with that much floor clearance.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I can't convince my wife to give up the electric range for a gas range.

We've reached the point, however, where cooking indoors makes the indoors feel like the outdoors so hey it's pellet grill time all day erreday.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Artereis wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think I could ever get rid of my gas cooktop. Coils are horrible and I don't like glass cooktops.

I promise you coils work just fine. If you want open flame you can still bbq stuff.

Here's some stuff I've seen lately:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/10/gas-stoves-are-bad-you-and-environment/616700/
    https://www.rewiringamerica.org/handbook

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Electric ranges suck ass. Also, considering I'd need all new pans for induction and probably 2 grand in panel replacement+new wiring - hard pass.
    Most new ranges in new builds are electric anyhow.

• Options
    Gas oven baking is black magic, I says.

That's a sexy stove. What brand is that?

Though I can only imagine the volume of cat toys (and probably cats) under that thing with that much floor clearance.

It's a Hallman, which I've never heard of before to be honest. There is an optional kick panel that would solve the clearance issue. And apparently there is a bit of a lead time... buy today and get it in September!

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    In theory you could make electric ranges that set their elements to a constant temperature instead of cycling them on and off... it would be a much more complicated device though.

Also gas stoves are a pretty minimal source of CO2 emissions--if we're talking carbon footprints... and ofc electric is only helping if your electricity is green, if it's coming from a natural gas power plant then shipping the gas to you and turning it to heat on-site is more efficient.

The indoor air pollution issue is more real but even then... seems overblown. Maybe if you still have one with a pilot light so it's always burning but otherwise I can't be arsed to care.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    How about them induction cook-tops? Anyone interested in jumping in the magnetic game?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    How about them induction cook-tops? Anyone interested in jumping in the magnetic game?

I'm already 100% Induction ready stainless and cast iron. When our current glasstop dies We'll probably switch to induction.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    It wouldn't be so bad if induction ranges weren't 2-3x more expensive than the comparable gas ranges.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    In theory you could make electric ranges that set their elements to a constant temperature instead of cycling them on and off... it would be a much more complicated device though.

Also gas stoves are a pretty minimal source of CO2 emissions--if we're talking carbon footprints... and ofc electric is only helping if your electricity is green, if it's coming from a natural gas power plant then shipping the gas to you and turning it to heat on-site is more efficient.

The indoor air pollution issue is more real but even then... seems overblown. Maybe if you still have one with a pilot light so it's always burning but otherwise I can't be added to care.

Indoor air pollution is more of an issue if you don't have proper ventilation; gas appliances require venting to the outdoors, and they usually have that, but not always. In any case, the personal "carbon footprint" of a person is going to come from heating/cooling and transportation. A gas furnace (heating an entire house) or water heater (heating 50 gallons of water) is of more importance than a stovetop (heating a saucepan's worth of food).

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    I used to miss a gas stovetop, but honestly electric has done just fine for me.

• Options
    I've never used an induction range. How long does it take for a pot/pan to heat up? I guess it doesn't come up super often but switching pans on a "burner" and starting from cold seems like it'd be annoying?

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I've never used an induction range. How long does it take for a pot/pan to heat up? I guess it doesn't come up super often but switching pans on a "burner" and starting from cold seems like it'd be annoying?

Faster than gas since they are more efficient at turning power into heat. There's no lag time on heating a coil like traditional electric, and it's just as responsive as gas with instant on-off. The only downsides really are the glass top (I move pots and pans a lot, so I feel like I'd scratch it rather quickly), and lack of visual representation of the power. Over the years I've just gotten used to looking at the flame rather than going off of any dial setting (since they vary greatly from stove to stove). Oh and you can't use aluminum pans. Induction only works with ferromagnetic metals like your cast iron, carbon steel, and stainless steel, or more expensive aluminum pans with steel heating cores. Oh, and as I mentioned they are expensive.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular

I've never used them either but they say they're incredibly fast to heat, and the communities I design for (their kitchen consultants (I'm an architect)) love the inductions. I'm seriously considering them for my next stovetop once my current electric stovetop gives out.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    The best part of those induction stoves (for me) is that they're so flat and smooth that they're suuuuper easy to clean. Just wipe it down when you're done. Unlike with a gas or coil stove which has all these pieces you need to take apart.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    The best part of those induction stoves (for me) is that they're so flat and smooth that they're suuuuper easy to clean. Just wipe it down when you're done. Unlike with a gas or coil stove which has all these pieces you need to take apart.

But then you can't play everyone's favorite game , Can I Pickup That Greenbean That's Next to The Burner? Its like Operation but with fire instead of electricity.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    They're way way better than coils but at least for our glass top it isn't as simple as wiping it down afterwards. Maybe other people are tidier cooks but my wife is like the swedish chef in there. It can be a pain to remove all the cooked on stuff, though it is doable. Thankfully although she may use the kitchen like a tasmanian devil, her food is worth it.

• Options
    I've had a glass-top, non-induction range for the last....13 years. Glass cooktop cleaning goop does a good job and a razor gets what that doesn't. I certainly like it a lot better than a coil range. I've only ever used a gas range once. It was nice. Was hoping to have one in whatever new house I bought but new place has another glass-top, non-induction built into the counter. Also on LP instead of city gas so not sure a gas range is even an option?

Assuming I even get to buy it. The amount of bullshit with this lender is...large. We were supposed to close on Wednesday, this week. Maybe we get to close on the 30th. Pretty sure we've gotten two people fired so far.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I've had a glass-top, non-induction range for the last....13 years. Glass cooktop cleaning goop does a good job and a razor gets what that doesn't. I certainly like it a lot better than a coil range. I've only ever used a gas range once. It was nice. Was hoping to have one in whatever new house I bought but new place has another glass-top, non-induction built into the counter. Also on LP instead of city gas so not sure a gas range is even an option?

Assuming I even get to buy it. The amount of bullshit with this lender is...large. We were supposed to close on Wednesday, this week. Maybe we get to close on the 30th. Pretty sure we've gotten two people fired so far.

You can absolutely buy an LP stove, This Old House even had part of one their episodes dedicated to installing one. They might not have as many models available as a gas stove would. Some older gas stoves could be switched to LP by changing a couple of parts out, but I don’t know if this is common on modern stoves.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Wait, your stoves use natural gas? I've never even heard of that before, out here everything is LP. It makes sense now that I think of it, but natural gas isn't really a thing in New England.

• Options
    Wait, your stoves use natural gas? I've never even heard of that before, out here everything is LP. It makes sense now that I think of it, but natural gas isn't really a thing in New England.

I guess gas is gas. I grew up in NJ but we had electric and oil for heat. In SC and NC, where I've been an adult, natural gas is the norm for ranges and heat. You're only on LP if you're outside the range of city gas.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Anything gas or propane can easily be switched back and forth with regulator. Mount up.

But really just assume anything gas or propane is interchangeable. Propane is easier if you are mobile or dealing with tanks. If you have a gas line, natural gas is the easiest option. Just make sure the line is sufficient for the BTU you need.

But any grill that does one does the other. Gas is great when your grill just always works.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Jfc.

I just earnest)y posted about propane and propane accessories. God help me. I'm not 40 but I guess this is my life.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Based on a quick look and reading maps. It looks like there isn’t a lot of Natural gas run north of Pennsylvania. It looks like New York doesn’t allow new natural gas pipelines run through it. I know my house in Md has natural gas fireplaces.

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Anything gas or propane can easily be switched back and forth with regulator. Mount up.

But really just assume anything gas or propane is interchangeable. Propane is easier if you are mobile or dealing with tanks. If you have a gas line, natural gas is the easiest option. Just make sure the line is sufficient for the BTU you need.

But any grill that does one does the other. Gas is great when your grill just always works.

Now fix the igniter in my grill so that I don't have to use a hand lighter to light it

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

Yeah my parents used a natural gas line for their grill for years and it was awesome never fucking with tanks. They bought a house that had a gas lamp in the backyard and were able to tap into it.

Twitch: Thawmus83
This discussion has been closed.