As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Game Thread] Street Fighter 6 demo out now on playstation.

Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his kneesand say the 'our father'Registered User regular
edited May 2023 in Social Entropy++

Games where you punch, kick and Heavenly! Potemkin! Buster! folks for fun and prizes.

XSlL7Mr.png

Introducing The Fighting Game Glossary. Over 650 terms carefully explained with 200+ video examples and Japanese translations. Easily search by term or game, share links to terms with your friends, and explore related concepts without losing your place.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bEsCnkKHjDY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qJeSwc3Kamw

Heaven Or Hell, LET'S ROCK

acpRlGW.jpg
Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
A duck! on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    THAT IS BULLSHIT

BLAZING

YL9WnCY.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i miss month one of salty bet

liEt3nH.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So it looks like they'll finally start letting a small group of outsiders get their hands on the new League fighter soon.

I know little about League of Legends outside of knowing it has like 200 characters and half of them seem to be waifus but Rising Thunder was fun for the short time it lasted so I'll be paying attention.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i'm very much looking forward to learning more about that one provided netcode good

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I hadn't seen that SamSho Hibiki trailer and now I'm even more disappointed that bad online just ruined that game for me. She looks great.

I'm very happy that SNK seems to be taking online for King of Fighters XV more seriously.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    i'm very much looking forward to learning more about that one provided netcode good

The fact that it's being headed by the guys who literally made rollback netcode and Riot who takes that stuff seriously makes me think we won't have to worry about that.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

The fact that it's being headed by the guys who literally made rollback netcode and Riot who takes that stuff seriously makes me think we won't have to worry about that.

Does Riot take that stuff seriously? I figured with their genre they could poop out a network library and be fine

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular

Well unless things change, looks like no strive for me.

Bring on Melty Blood! I need something crazy and anime to play.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    that looks so janky if you told me it was bugged i would believe you

liEt3nH.png
    edited April 2021
    I really don't know enough about Leo to know if that is a big deal or not.

It doesn't help that folks either love or hate the character so opinions on the change are pretty biased.

Dragkonias on
    It's not so much that I'm mad that's it's gone because it was good, I'm mad because it was probably the most fun thing the character had and now it's gone.

Same with how Sol got a ground bounce off CH bandit bringer in the first beta and it just knocked down in the second.

They seem to be just removing shit in an effort to obtain balance and fuck that man, that is the opposite of fun.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited April 2021

I’ve already seen a few comments about the Leo nerf saying, “See, #GGST is taking away even more things from XRD!”

Leo has never been able to combo off of raw run-through in any version of XRD.

So wait he wasn't even able to do this until Strive?

I'm not trying to argue "fun" cause that's pretty subjective but developers iterating on things isn't anything new. Why they have these loketests in the first place.

Dragkonias on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    So is Dragonball FighterZ done or are they still going to add Raditz or whoever?

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    there's gotta be at least three or four more gokus they could fit in there

Lars wrote: »
    So is Dragonball FighterZ done or are they still going to add Raditz or whoever?

They haven't really said anything and the Blazblue Team is currently working on Dungeon Fighter Fighter and Granblue *cries in Blazblue fan*

So that might be it until the inevitable DBFZ2.

As long as the rights holders were happy with DBFZ's performance, I could see arcsys getting to work on a sequel that will debut on new hardware. Maybe pull a Smash Bros Ultimate and use the current game as a foundation to build new systems and characters on.

DeMoN wrote: »

Do you think that move should be 1. cross up as part of a 4 way mixup, 2. plus on block, and 3. combo with no resources? That seems like an awful lot!

Balance is interesting because while yes it isn't "fun" in itself what is fun for you might be frustrating for someone else.

And at the end of the day that thin line between fun and frustrating is something all competitive games have to contend with.

nagoriyuki bite damage up and faster blood gauge reduction

7yh4xczljsym.png
    That's a good change. It felt like they wanted his command grab to be a high risk/high reward utility move but the damage was so low and the drain so slow it wasn't worth it half the time.

templewulf wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »

Do you think that move should be 1. cross up as part of a 4 way mixup, 2. plus on block, and 3. combo with no resources? That seems like an awful lot!

I would like anything in the game to combo at all. Run-through being able to combo was the only thing in the game that kind of felt like gatlings to me. Now there's no gatlings, Leo has no rekkas, and Leo's lost one of the things from the beta that actually made him feel fun to me. They could have made it super unsafe on block and I wouldn't say a word.

Honestly I probably wasn't going to get the game anyway, at least at launch. Second beta really unsold on the game when I realized, after the beta ended, that I didn't really miss it or want to play it any more. I also tried watching some of Max and Sajam's beta videos and they couldn't keep my attention at all.

I've realized I tend to lean more towards crazy games with longer combos and more, I don't know, freedom? The sfvs and mk11s can't keep my interest and strive is really starting to look like one of those.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

dont know if anything official has come out...

dbfz is a curious case in fighting game support because the graphics are pretty timeless and so it would be hard to justify a sequel...

the community wants a rollback patch after getting a taste of Strive, and there's still a few low-hanging-fruit characters that could be added... such as Bulma in a mech suit throwing out capsules like Faust...

i personally would love to see them backport whatever Strive ends up getting for an online feature set to dbfz.... but we can't have anything nice so I'm not counting on it

i want strive to be good but I would be just as pleased having the Riot game be even remotely decent

Sequels are usually better for big system changes cause you can redo the engine from the ground up.

Also I'm sure rollback is gonna be saved for it because it's easier to generate buzz around a new game than it is one that's 3+ years old.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So after ten thousand years I finally stopped playing single player and stepped into the world of online multiplayer fighting. I'm having success dicking around with Laura and randomly getting blown up by some passing veteran practicing their secondary. What tips and dos and don'ts do you guys have for a Laura player against a competent Ryu?

(I'm just at Bronze, doing Thunder claps/throw/c.MK x L.Elbow loops to those who can't get out of it.)

Wearingglasses on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    is it even still going on?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    is it even still going on?

Yep. Just checked and currently at 625 viewers. Which is normal nowadays.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited April 2021
    So after ten thousand years I finally stopped playing single player and stepped into the world of online multiplayer fighting. I'm having success dicking around with Laura and randomly getting blown up by some passing veteran practicing their secondary. What tips and dos and don'ts do you guys have for a Laura player against a competent Ryu?

(I'm just at Bronze, doing Thunder claps/throw/c.MK x L.Elbow loops to those who can't get out of it.)

My knowledge of Laura is only basic but a few things to remember.

- Ex elbow has armor so you can blow through fireballs with it. So if you have meter you can sit in a range that threatens it and the Ryu player is either forced to play your game or back off for fear of getting hit out of fireballs.

- If the Ryu player backed off Laura's fully charged fb has multiple hits. So get back just far enough that you can't be punished and slowly walk behind the charged fb to gain space and push them towards the corner.

- I think ex command grab also goes through fbs but I forgot.

Basically you want to play slow until you have meter then try and bully your way in.

Dragkonias on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Thanks man, that EX Elbow tip actually got me past a couple Guiles!

I realize I suck at escaping tick throw loops. Is countering this strategy opponent-dependent?

edited April 2021

I realize I suck at escaping tick throw loops. Is countering this strategy opponent-dependent?

TBH it's just a 50/50.

That said very few throws actually give you real pressure these days as most are negative if you dash in afterwards.

So if your opponent is thoughtlessly doing throw -> dash -> throw you can just mash crouch jab and beat them out.

Dragkonias on
    edited April 2021

Way to go, that's a great start! I'll break down the standard throw setup into 3 layers of mindgames.
    • Layer #1: None of the throw loops in SFV are real. When you use Quick Recovery(down or PP when you hit the ground ), Capcom timed wakeups after throw so that people can't just dash up on you and get another one. So your first step is to consistently use Quick Recovery when you get knocked down. Then you can start seeing if you can react to their dash, and you can challenge by mashing out your fastest normal (st.LP according to https://fullmeter.com/fatonline/#/framedata/SFV/Laura).
    • Layer #2: The next level of mix-up is that they notice you're mashing on wake-up so they'll stop dashing and start throwing long range Crush Counter normals after throw, like Sakura st.HK or Dan st.HP. So you can train yourself to react to their dash and only mash st.LP when you confirm it. The other option is "delayed tech". You block on wake-up for just a few frames, then hit throw tech. If they do a meaty attack, you'll block it and your tech will get ignored while you're in block stun. If they throw, the tech will come out just in time to beat throw. Do not do this until they prove #1 won't work on them; most players aren't actually going to push you this far.
    • Layer #3: Once the opponent sees your delayed tech, they might try to go to Layer 3 with delayed button. Instead of doing a meaty grab or attack, they'll threaten a grab, wait for you to whiff your delayed throw tech, then punish you for trying. You really, really don't need to worry about this layer for a long time. Nobody in bronze league will do this.

Additionally, command grabs have different timings. If Zangief hits you with EX SPD or H SPD, he *can* dash up on you on your wake-up. L and M SPD leave him too far away. So grapplers have a whole other range of considerations, but that's more character specific.

templewulf on
    edited April 2021

The #GuiltyGearStrive Open Beta Test #2 details have been announced and will be available on PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 from 8:00pm PST on May 13th to 7:59am PST on May 16th.

Full details here: https://t.co/aEO2Y2f4Fd https://t.co/0irV3UNCDT

Dragkonias on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    I'm excited to frustrate a whole new generation of players with basic bitch I-No stuff.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/mortal-kombat-11-injustice-3-marvel-game/

There is a rumor/leak that NRS has attained the license to Marvel and may be making a Marvel fighting game.

The source of the information appears to be a CNBC affiliated reporter/analyst that deals with nerd shit, so take that for what its worth

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    And everyone thought there was no way anything could look worse than Infinite.

uyvfOQy.png
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/mortal-kombat-11-injustice-3-marvel-game/

There is a rumor/leak that NRS has attained the license to Marvel and may be making a Marvel fighting game.

The source of the information appears to be a CNBC affiliated reporter/analyst that deals with nerd shit, so take that for what its worth

Wait, we could get a Marvel vs DC fighting game. With fatalities.

(nerding intensifies)

edited April 2021
    I forgot if CBN is the place that has posted bs rumors in the past.

That said for the sake of conversation I will say I doubt NR will ever make anything as crazy as MvC which is sad.

That said I really don't think Disney Marvel will ever give Capcom the creative freedom they need so MvC is probably dead anyway.

Dragkonias on
    I would be very surprised if a deal was made for a game studio owned by Warner Bros to make a game for Marvel studios

liEt3nH.png
    more strive on my birthday yay

now THAT'S bullshit blazing

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I would be very surprised if a deal was made for a game studio owned by Warner Bros to make a game for Marvel studios
    Eh, WB owns Telltale and they’ve been making Lego Marvel and Lego Star Wars games for a while now.

I loved MvC3 but I could be into a Marvel flavored Injustice. The Injustice style would also match the look of the MCU pretty well and you know that’s what Marvel would prefer. Plus there is a tiny chance Ed Boon actually talked them into letting him do DC vs Marvel.

This discussion has been closed.