As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    How does one turn on performance/network/etc tracking in MWO? I turned Steam overlay off after opening it up by accident got me killed for the 100th time, so I lost my framerate display, but I've seen this on multiple streamers' vids now.
    qsgwn609gzyi.png

f9
    Tox wrote: »
    So what's the Thunderbolt's top speed with MASC on?

Will test at lunch, but it’s not going to be super high with that engine cap

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I didn't pay attention to its speed but I did notice via spectating that the new Thunderbolt does indeed have MASC. It's not a super speedy thing but damn.

Also I finally played with the new patch.

I saw a LOT of variation in PPC weapons through the morning, and that was refreshing as hell. People aren't just using ER PPC and calling it a day. I saw plenty of Light use and some Snub Nose use as well.

The mechs I own that I took a look at have REALLY NOTICEABLE better heat management. My Rifleman practically builds none, even with the heat sinks I took out in exchange for more ammo. My Stormcrow is heat neutral on its weapon sets, and way less heat intense when firing both weapon groups. It can brawl now, essentially. It doesn't punch as hard, but it sustains way better in those situations. I haven't tested it in a match yet but I ripped out a heat sink to place a LAMS because why wouldn't you with this patch?

I like my Jaegermech again (I've been up and down with this stupid thing). I'm abandoning the need to make use of the UAC jam chance bonus it had. I'm sick of UACs fucking jamming, it pisses me off, especially in mechs where you have a jam chance reduction and they still fuck you over on the first shot. So I replaced them with RAC2s, and backing those up with four HMGs, holy shit I had the Ballistic Damage event requirement done in no time. It's also effective as shit and scares people in brawling situations. I just need to keep my head (and... body) down at range because the Jaegermech is like a really good goal keeper when it comes to PPC and Gauss fire.

I unlocked the Mad Cat II, and while I didn't play with it, I changed its outfit. ER LLs are gone despite the -5% cooldown bonus (pfft whatever), in exchange for LPLs. They're better on the heat. Keeping the AC20s for sure but I quadrupled the ammo count, mostly by scrapping the token missile slot and its ammo. Plus, nearly maxed out the armor since it came stock with a lot taken off. I practiced a bit in testing grounds to get a fire rhythm going since AC20 HSL is wild as fuck, but it's really good at sustaining. The LPLs aren't heat neutral but they're close enough to it.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    How does one turn on performance/network/etc tracking in MWO? I turned Steam overlay off after opening it up by accident got me killed for the 100th time, so I lost my framerate display, but I've seen this on multiple streamers' vids now.
    qsgwn609gzyi.png

I think it is F9 (not sure since I looked it up and it was enabled, then disabled, then enabled again).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Holy shit this patch has wreaked havoc on the meta. It's like there isn't a meta anymore, because everyone is running around testing new weapons and builds. Ok, sure the PPCs are a bit more common than anything else but I've seen pretty much every weapon in the catalog. Except Streaks. Because streaks still suck.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

Using largest possible engine:

Without Speed Tweak: 98.9 kph

With Speed Tweak: 106.3 kph

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Holy shit this patch has wreaked havoc on the meta. It's like there isn't a meta anymore, because everyone is running around testing new weapons and builds. Ok, sure the PPCs are a bit more common than anything else but I've seen pretty much every weapon in the catalog. Except Streaks. Because streaks still suck.
    I'm planning to spend the next couple days playing at different time slots to see how much this is going on. But I absolutely agree. It's refreshing to see varied weapons profiles.

I love that even a velocity change for a weapon will make people either pick it up or abandon it, which otherwise shuffles all their other weapons around.

This is a good period in MWO and it has me looking forward to the upcoming changes further down the road from now.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular

It feels like PPCs are still the most popular thing, but at least with the tuning people are not obliterating teams from 1200m any more.

• Options
    I can't wait to get in the game and try out all the new changes. Plus pick up a Corsair to equip with 4LAMS for ultimate awesomeness.

Has anybody tried out the ATMs yet? I'm curious to see if they are still strong.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    monkeykins wrote: »

It feels like PPCs are still the most popular thing, but at least with the tuning people are not obliterating teams from 1200m any more.
    It's because they're more distinct from each other now as weapons, while also still being distinct from other weapon choices. It used to be that PPC choices were based on "how much weight or slots are left," with regular PPCs never getting any love because you may as well ER.

That's the one that I think might still not get any attention from players; the base PPC.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I can't wait to get in the game and try out all the new changes. Plus pick up a Corsair to equip with 4LAMS for ultimate awesomeness.

Has anybody tried out the ATMs yet? I'm curious to see if they are still strong.

I've tested them! They're a bit more "missiles for every range" rather than the "Clan super-MRMs" they used to be since they're weaker short range but stronger long range than they used to be.

P.S: Still stronger short/mid-range than LRM, but about on par at long range. So it's more of a "Will they use AMS or not?". Because ATMs are terrible against AMS. Overall my Mad Dog H (although I still think of it as the Vulture) is still hilariously powerful with a pair of ATM9s and 4 heavy medium lasers. That might be because of the buffs to HMLs though.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

It's because they're more distinct from each other now as weapons, while also still being distinct from other weapon choices. It used to be that PPC choices were based on "how much weight or slots are left," with regular PPCs never getting any love because you may as well ER.

That's the one that I think might still not get any attention from players; the base PPC.

Triple PPCs can be a thing now, which feels pretty good, but it's got stiff competition from double HPPC, where the twin HPPCs are slightly cooler per shot, slightly less weight, obviously less hardpoints, only downside is a slight cooldown increase vs 3xPPC. I was running 6xppcs on my kaiju and it feels pretty good, and is very cool... but 4xHPPCs is actually cooler and less weight so I'm not sure it's worth it.

The K2 is pretty fun with triple PPC alpha + an HPPC chaser.

In other news I went back to my raven for a bit, it hasn't seen much change but MRM40s getting a 5% cooldown reduction and more HP to punch through AMS is kind of nice.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

So like, I know it's not worth it because the amount of weight you have to dedicate to the max engine and also MASC means you either just don't have enough weight to do anything, or super vulnerable via XL, but that sounds fun. Big ass HPPC and an MRM 30.

This and the Shadowcat -B are the only two mechs in the game with ECM, MASC, and JJets.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

I used to run a triple standard PPC Awesome.

Now I run a triple HPPC Awesome. It's like an instagib rifle on lights.

• Options

So like, I know it's not worth it because the amount of weight you have to dedicate to the max engine and also MASC means you either just don't have enough weight to do anything, or super vulnerable via XL, but that sounds fun. Big ass HPPC and an MRM 30.

This and the Shadowcat -B are the only two mechs in the game with ECM, MASC, and JJets.

May be worthwhile running triple snubs and a couple of medium lasers with that engine, etc. You'll have the ability to close fast, and Snubs are really good right now.

• Options
    The UAC boost to Clans is making me rethink my hate of those weapons. On top of that I changed my weapon firing config on my Direwolf in an attempt to make it handle better; left mouse for left arm, right mouse for right arm, mouse 3 for just the two UAC10s (each arm sports a UAC10 and 4 MPLs). The burst is easier to control this way and it's also easier to aim and really fuck people up. The problem is, I'm still a huge "hit me" sign on the battlefield and will be lucky to hit over 250 damage.

• Options
    If you're not normally hitting 400+ damage on an Assault mech it's a sign that this particular assaultmech is probably not your thing.

• Options
    What I can't get a handle on is coordinating movement with my team.

In higher speed mechs, I can lead a charge or flank on my own and course correct as needed. If I misread my team's movement, I can correct that easily too.

But in 48kph mechs goddamn it, if I don't go at the exact right time either I am fucked or my team is fucked.

• Options
    The DWF is really hard to use right now because you have to find the right position with it and then own that position until they die or you die.

One of the reasons that the 8xAC/2 variant was so successful was due to the range and DPS.

There is another variant I’ve seen at higher tiers which was something like 1xUAC/20, 2xUAC/10, 2xUAC/5 that just says “nice CT, it’s mine now”

• Options
    edited April 2021
    There is also the Dual Gauss/Dual PPC "I can delete any body part I want to from a kilometer away" build.

P.S: Although the Mad Cat II can do the same thing, but trading toughness and a bit of firepower (less cooling, slower cycling Gauss rifles) for more speed and a less blocky torso. And I guess not having both ER PPCs on a very mobile arm-mount.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    I haven't tested it in a live environment yet but I retooled my Warhammer IIC, seeing as Heavy Lasers of all sorts got some love and this thing has a cooldown benefit on them.

It's got 4 HLLs across the torso and arms, one each, with 3 HSLs as backup (torsos and head mounted on those). It has a 375 XL engine, the biggest it can carry, so it moves at a comfy 75.9 kph. The rest of the tonnage is thrown toward heat sinks. The small lasers are heat neutral, the large not so much. Hypothetically this thing hits like a truck and can do it in a hurry with pretty good consistency because the heat burns off pretty fast despite the max capacity not being something to shout about. With a weapon linkup of 2 HLLs twice over and the HSLs on their own, that's 38 + 38 + 19.5 damage each, totaling 91.5 damage.

An alternate config in case this ends up being too hot in live matches is 2 HLLs and 4 HSLs, with a couple / four more tons of heat sinks allowed. That's what I had it at prior to the patch.

• Options
    Personally I’d recommend against HSL and putting in some ERML instead, they’ll sync better with the range of the HLL

• Options
    Personally I’d recommend against HSL and putting in some ERML instead, they’ll sync better with the range of the HLL
    Not concerned with the range linking in my weapon profiles, usually. The purpose of the HSLs here is backup, typically if something is stupid to engage me in close range if I duck behind cover.

• Options
    Switched my KGC-000B to 2xSnPPC (and 2xAC/20) using the space gained from the third SnPPC to upgrade the engine and more heat sinks

It’s now much cooler allowing for more shooting in a brawl, and faster to get there.

• Options
    I had a weird thing happen just now. A match queued, I voted, and when the load screen was supposed to start I got kicked back to the main screen. Couldn't queue into other matches, even on mech change.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    I had a weird thing happen just now. A match queued, I voted, and when the load screen was supposed to start I got kicked back to the main screen. Couldn't queue into other matches, even on mech change.

I actually got DC'd from my first match ever today, then ended up getting a "leaver" penalty for 10 seconds.

• Options
    Think I figured out the trick to the 2xAC/20+3xSnPPC KGC

M1: Left AC/20
    M2: Right AC/20, 3xSnPPC

Additional mouse buttons for chain fire AC/20 and SnPPC by themselves

Allows me to fire slightly cooler, and utilize the AC/20+3 SnPPC combo by itself with the second AC/20 as punctuation.

• Options
    Also, I’ve seen maybe four variations of the DWF using Gauss vomit to get a 100+ alpha.

• Options
    Also, I’ve seen maybe four variations of the DWF using Gauss vomit to get a 100+ alpha.

Whoa, 100+ alpha??? I need to figure this out so I can bring back my original DW.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Whoa, 100+ alpha??? I need to figure this out so I can bring back my original DW.

I believe it’s done using almost entirely the full DWF-Prime and replacing the head with the W or S head that gives you an energy hardpoint.

You’ll need the Prime side torsos for the -heat quirks.

• Options

I believe it’s done using almost entirely the full DWF-Prime and replacing the head with the W or S head that gives you an energy hardpoint.

You’ll need the Prime side torsos for the -heat quirks.

Hmm, darn. I think I have the S for the Jump Jet.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the main thing with slower mechs like that is just don't stop moving; teammates will tend to gravitate toward you and support whatever direction you're pushing... unless you just park yourself somewhere. They'll move on and you won't be able to catch up (especially true if you're longer ranged than they are.)

You should usually have the throttle maxed for like the first three minutes of the match, stopping only if you're literally around the corner from the enemy at fairly short range. The biggest error I see assault pilots make is taking too long to engage.

also I still don't really see the point of heavy lasers; they just waste so much heat against anything that isn't literally standing still

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    the main thing with slower mechs like that is just don't stop moving; teammates will tend to gravitate toward you and support whatever direction you're pushing... unless you just park yourself somewhere. They'll move on and you won't be able to catch up (especially true if you're longer ranged than they are.)

You should usually have the throttle maxed for like the first three minutes of the match, stopping only if you're literally around the corner from the enemy at fairly short range. The biggest error I see assault pilots make is taking too long to engage.

also I still don't really see the point of heavy lasers; they just waste so much heat against anything that isn't literally standing still

Maximum first-strike potential is the point of heavy lasers. Ton for Ton heavy lasers just deliver an insane amount of frontloaded damage. Mechs like a Hunchie II can deliver 76 points of alphastrike damage. "But it can do that with 2xUAC20s. And those deliver more pinpoint damage" you say. Sure, but a heavy laser hunchie can do it and pack a max sized engine (hopping around the battlefield at 90kph) and maximum armor and lots of heatsinks. And jumpjets too I guess. So you burn someones face off and then go skibbidyhop out of there.
    Hellfires can pack the same punch but then either have additional weaponsystems on top of that (a nice ATM6 maybe?) or go even faster and with a MASC on top of that.

• Options
    Hey you know what's fucking good?

That Mad Cat II they're giving away for free.

UAC20s are probably the one kind of UAC I love as weapon right now. My first match ever in that thing, even losing, I got over 700 damage. And in the few matches I played, Jesus this thing is a terror on the battlefield. It can show up relatively 'out of nowhere' for its firepower because of the 64kph move speed. I only had one match I can remember (I'm side-effecting from my COVID vaccine 1 right now so I'm bleh'ing) where I did really poorly in the mech. But damn. DAMN.

Mine is loaded out with the two UAC20s and two LPLs. It works... very well. It heats up like a motherfucker, but shit is usually dead or dying by the time that becomes a problem. It's only a true disadvantage if I'm facing more than one enemy. The LPLs let me do some, not a lot, range damage, with their main purpose being filling the time between jams.

• Options
    Hey you know what's fucking good?

That Mad Cat II they're giving away for free.
    Earn 7 Savior Kills
    Accumulate 5150 Damage with Ballistic Weapons
    Accumulate 1251 Damage with Missile Weapons
    Accumulate 1253 Damage with Energy Weapons
    Accumulate 7654 Damage done
    Earn 9 Victories
    Earn 250 Match Score Once
    Accumulate 6543 Match
    REWARD: Mechbay/Mech - MAD CAT MK II MCII-B

Seems doable. 9d22h time left at the time I'm writing this.

• Options
    The difficult thing in those objectives is the ballistic damage.

More than any other mech they've given away for free, THIS is the one people are gonna want to try hard for. I mean holy shit. If I like an assault mech and actually do okay in it, then everyone should be going for it.

• Options
    The difficult thing in those objectives is the ballistic damage.

More than any other mech they've given away for free, THIS is the one people are gonna want to try hard for. I mean holy shit. If I like an assault mech and actually do okay in it, then everyone should be going for it.

5150 ballistic damage isn't that hard. With more than a weeks worth of games and all you need is a decent ballistic setup. I haven't played much for the last year or so. But my RAC-marauder should be able to dakka dakka for the necessary points.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, my 2xUAC10 Bushy regularly did ~500 damage per match when I was maining it, I find ballistics by far the easiest damage to accumulate. Missiles are a complete gamble of how much ECM and AMS the enemy team has and whether or not your teammates actually push the R button. Laser is so so, you kind of need a longer match for the damage to rack up with most of them (and pulse laser brawlers require matches where brawls actually happen).

[edit] MRMs are probably your best bet for missile damage, thinking about it. Long range enough to where you don't need a brawl phase to do work, unlike SRMs.

Glal on
  • Options
    Yeah, my 2xUAC10 Bushy regularly did ~500 damage per match when I was maining it, I find ballistics by far the easiest damage to accumulate. Missiles are a complete gamble of how much ECM and AMS the enemy team has and whether or not your teammates actually push the R button. Laser is so so, you kind of need a longer match for the damage to rack up with most of them (and pulse laser brawlers require matches where brawls actually happen).

[edit] MRMs are probably your best bet for missile damage, thinking about it. Long range enough to where you don't need a brawl phase to do work, unlike SRMs.

MRMs is probably your best bet IS side. Clan side you have so many alternatives. The Arctic cheetah can easily do SRMs without having to wait for any brawls (with ECM and that kind of speed it's insane). There are so many boats with viable ATM builds. Clan assaults like the supernova can pack in ridiculous numbers of LRMs.

• Options
    Speaking of Bushwackers I think I'm gonna revert mine back to the dual RAC5 build. RAC5s are one of the few weapons this patch that got a buff in nearly every data point. But also, my Bushwacker doesn't feel satisfying to play anymore. Four MPLs, two MGs, and two SRM6s (which I think is near stock loadout?). It's not a threat on the battlefield like it used to be.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Ahhh, my 6SPL Arctic Cheetah feels good again. So does my 7 SPL Firestarter.

Edit: Also the Krophujun (Crowphujun?) feels great again. 4SSRM6s and 7microlasers actually is quite good with the patch.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png