As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Books

• L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Animal Farm is an allegory of Stalin's transition to power in russia fuck nosebleed
    no it is totalitarianism (specifically stalinism) is bad

L|ama on
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    Animal Farm is an allegory of Stalin's transition to power in russia fuck nosebleed

Yeah, but I don't expect some random guy at work to get that. I DO expect a reasonable, literate adult to get
    communism=bad
    out of there.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Animal Farm is without a doubt the single most brilliant satire of a political ideology since the works of Jonathon Swift

Charles Kinbote on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Anthony Burgess is probably my favorite author. If you liked A Clockwork Orange, do yourself a favor and pick up The wanting Seed. It is probably better, and it is still hella dystopia if you are digging that.

Straightzi on
  • DakalDakal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thats a pretty straightforward message. I vaguely remember it being about those in power always wanting more/ abusing the power as well. Thus, demeaning the working class and causing problems for all...

humm... sounds a lot like the current Gov't in the US of A.

Dakal on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Goddamn. I suddenly got a craving for an Irish baby.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dakal wrote: »
    Thats a pretty straightforward message. I vaguely remember it being about those in power always wanting more/ abusing the power as well. Thus, demeaning the working class and causing problems for all...

Yes that is Soviet Russia for you when Stalin takes power.

Straightzi on
    edited February 2008
    I will agree with you there, Shank. It's just not all that great if you read it as pure fiction. It pretty much only works as satire.

1984, however, makes a good political read, a good character drama, a good pulp-ish sci-fi, and so on. It covers pretty much any genre I'm likely to be in the mood for at any given moment, and covers them all well.

laughingfuzzball on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like Brave New World as a counterpoint(?) to 1984, and possibly a more realistic one, but the story itself and the writing leave a lot to be desired.

L|ama on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I loved Animal Farm. It's probably one of my favorite books.
    I've almost finished Crooked Little Vein already. Are there any other books like this out there?

Me Too! on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2008
    well I also kinda feel like Gulliver's Travels is not at all an interesting read if one doesn't know about 19th century Britain

I am not disagreeing with you, and I don't want you to quote my post saying "Yeah, but" because I am in complete agreement with you, but I think satires are the only popular form of fiction able to say "if you don't know the context, don't judge the book"

also I think vonnegut is my favorite author. He doesn't really depict dystopian societies much (I mean, Cat's Cradle and your personal opinion about modern-day America aside) but there's still something significantly dystopian about his settings and prose.

Charles Kinbote on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My favorite dystopian novel

0140441654.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited February 2008
    god I am not a fan of that book

I just read paradise lost and jesus christ fuck that book

Charles Kinbote on
    edited February 2008
    well I also kinda feel like Gulliver's Travels is not at all an interesting read if one doesn't know about 19th century Britain

I am not disagreeing with you, and I don't want you to quote my post saying "Yeah, but" because I am in complete agreement with you, but I think satires are the only popular form of fiction able to say "if you don't know the context, don't judge the book"

also I think vonnegut is my favorite author. He doesn't really depict dystopian societies much (I mean, Cat's Cradle and your personal opinion about modern-day America aside) but there's still something significantly dystopian about his settings and prose.

My Junior-year Lit class is a perfect example of that. Most of them didn't get Proposal at all. The handful of us who already knew the background (how bad is it when your a lit geek relative to an honors lit class?) played on their perceptions for a while in the 'open discussion' period. This was during the height of the 'dead baby joke' fad, and we had the 'dead baby joke' king in our class. It was pretty hilarious. Then the teacher explained it, and they probably forgot about it by next week.

laughingfuzzball on
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2008
    that's such a bad book

I mean I understand that it is either brilliant satire or depressingly retarded views on socioeconomic conduct

but that doesn't forgive tiresome prose and and overall bland way of expressing ideas

Charles Kinbote on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    We read Utopia and The Prince in my Senior English Seminar
    I enjoyed comparing the two and explaining why I thought being a succesful tyrant and running "Utopia" were actually the same thing.

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited February 2008
    I've never read Utopia, but I've read summaries and references and the like.

None of them really make me want to slog through 200 pages of high-styled archaic English. It's fun in small doses, but it's got to be really good for me to bother getting into that 'mode', ya know?

laughingfuzzball on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    BusterK wrote: »
    My favorite dystopian novel

0140441654.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    i love you

what the fuck is wrong with you

utopia is one of the worst dystopian novels ever, it is SO BORING

it's like 200 pages of Goldstein's memoirs section in 1984

We by Yvegeny Zamyatin is at least the template for 1984, go read that

also:

i just got the amazing adventures of kavalier and clay, and i read 200 pages in one sitting, then went and wrote until i realized how thin my dog was and how he's probably going to die soon

Orikaeshigitae on
  • AnexionAnexion Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Suppose this as good a first post as any, but good lord how can you not like paradise lost? I thought it was the best representation of Satan Id ever read.

And maybe it was just the atheist in me reading into it but I found it to be somewhat sympathetic to him as well which I enjoyed.

Anexion on
    edited February 2008
    thank you orik

Charles Kinbote on
    edited February 2008
    well I also kinda feel like Gulliver's Travels is not at all an interesting read if one doesn't know about 19th century Britain.

Yeah I am rereading this now after reading it in high school, and I was not so good at picking up on this back then apparently

Anexion on
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2008
    penguin classics has sweet covers, i have to say

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited February 2008
    Anexion wrote: »
    Suppose this as good a first post as any, but good lord how can you not like paradise lost? I thought it was the best representation of Satan Id ever read.

And maybe it was just the atheist in me reading into it but I found it to be somewhat sympathetic to him as well which I enjoyed.

maybe it was the shitty prose, the godawful development, the terrible, caricatures the author tries to pass off as "characters" and the fucking moronic hypocrisy in the actions of the aforementioned caricatures

maybe it is the fact that it is the douchey epic for the person who does not know what they are talking about or how an epic should legitimately be written because never have I seen a book by which I am so convinced that an author is writing with the sole purpose of parodying an entire language

Charles Kinbote on
    edited February 2008
    I admit there were parts where it just dragged on, but I think there were well written sections too. Satans speach to the fallen angels for the classic example.

The god character in that book pissed me off so much though.

Also I took one of the suggestions from this thread and started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susannah Clarke

I am enjoying it very much so far, so thanks for that!

Anexion on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So after I finish the short stories in I Am Legend, should I read Blood Meridian or The Road next?

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited February 2008
    the road fits pretty well with i am legend, read that

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    copy that, goin' on a beer run.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited February 2008
    Anexion wrote: »

maybe it was the shitty prose, the godawful development, the terrible, caricatures the author tries to pass off as "characters" and the fucking moronic hypocrisy in the actions of the aforementioned caricatures

maybe it is the fact that it is the douchey epic for the person who does not know what they are talking about or how an epic should legitimately be written because never have I seen a book by which I am so convinced that an author is writing with the sole purpose of parodying an entire language

There was this guy in my High School. He was the only Muslim in the whole class, this being the Midwest and all. He put up with years of people pointing out that his last name was "Hussein" and trying to get him to eat lunch during Ramadan without batting an eye. He was pretty pissed when he got to the bit about Muhammad being in the whatever circle of hell.

The teacher pretty much said that he had every right to be pissed and let him take over the class for a discussion on it, at his request.

He was a pretty cool guy. I haven't seen him for a couple years, though.

laughingfuzzball on
    edited February 2008
    What is a good site that I can upload a story onto?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    I like Brave New World as a counterpoint(?) to 1984, and possibly a more realistic one, but the story itself and the writing leave a lot to be desired.

I actually feel the opposite. I preferred the writing style of Brave New World over 1984.

Ranx on
  • RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Also, I'm reading "The Day of the Triffids" right now.

Ranx on
    edited February 2008
    I aught to read more classic sci-fi stories. Lately I've been trying to read more "legitimate" novels, which basically leads to me reading a crappy book, getting pissed and then reading some Cormac McCarthy.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    aaaah, blood meridian is so good guys

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    aaaah, blood meridian is so good guys
    Yeah.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited February 2008
    I aught to read more classic sci-fi stories. Lately I've been trying to read more "legitimate" novels, which basically leads to me reading a crappy book, getting pissed and then reading some Cormac McCarthy.

Like, how classic?

The Time Machine and Journey to the Center of the Earth are good. You should already have a rough idea whether they're your bag or not.

CS Lewis' Space Trilogy is a little more modern. That Hideous Strength (ancient beings and techno-cults) and Out of the Silent Planet (pulpy space travel) each read well on their own, though you'll get more out of That Hideous Strength if you've read the other two. Some people think Perelandra (pulpy space travel) is too allegorical (he later used basically the same premise for The Magician's Nephew if that helps), and you can't really read it without reading Out of the silent Planet first.

Dune is very modern, but still a 'classic' in the sci-fi time scale. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who enjoys science fiction in any form, but skip the sequels unless you're a Herbert fanboy.

Wells and Lewis have the benefit of also being seen as 'legitimate' novels, mostly because they're old. I'd argue that Dune is at least as 'legitimate', what with the political and philosophical themes, complex plots, and believable, interesting characters and whatnot, but I think the literazi might disagree with me.

laughingfuzzball on
    edited February 2008
    I was thinking more 1950's onward type of sci-fi. I've never read any Clarke. I've never read any Asimov. I read Starship Troopers over ten years ago. I still haven't read The Man in the High Castle. Maybe I should check out that CS Lewis stuff.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited February 2008
    The Chronicles of Amber falls in that weird grey zone between sci-fi and fantasy. The first series is really good, the second has more science fiction elements, but parts don't make much sense, likely because Zelazny was heavily medicated when he wrote parts of it. It was started in 1970, and while it wasn't finished until the nineties, it kept a seventies feel.

Lewis might be a little earlier than you're looking for. It's very pulpy and I think it might pre-date the universal acceptance of the term "science fiction", because in his notes Lewis talks about the "scientifictionists" a lot. It could just be a 'unique' term, though.

Seriously, though Dune. Written in the sixties, but ahead of the standards of the genre in some ways, so it might read as a little more modern than you're looking for. It's still an awesome book.

laughingfuzzball on