As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying retro console hardware/software

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Fingers crossed then. I just ordered an av cable for my Genesis because my original rf connection doesn't seem to be working right, so I can't test it just yet.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I.E. it needs a new battery?

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I'm not a retro expert. Can you replace genesis game batteries? It has two circle shaped screws in the back.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Yes but they are often glued or soldered to the contacts, meaning it will be a delicate job separating the old battery from the contacts. Razor blade/x-acto knife is helpful to get that done.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Oh yeah. The Vita memory cards are absurdly high. Might have to use the SD2Vita adaptor.

I booted my PSTV for the first time in a while yesterday and the memory card appears to have been corrupted. Is it safe to reformat and download everything again, or does one corruption mean that it's probably untrustworthy now? Eying SD2Vita pretty hard.

It's pretty lame that the internal storage on the PSTV is so small that it can't hold a single PSP game I own.

Frem on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Buying an SD2Vita adapter is the single best upgrade you will ever do for a Vita or a PSTV. It's five bucks plus the cost of a MicroSD card and the time it takes you to hack your system. Even if you never want to get into homebrew or emulators or straight up piracy, just having the ability to throw a 256GB (or larger) MicroSD card in your system for less than the cost of an official 16GB card is worth it.

• dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I managed to get in on the recent Analogue Super Nt orders. Mine has shipped and should arrive next week!

Next month I'll probably look into ordering an FXPak Pro Flash Cart. There's been some Satelaview games i've always wanted to check out.

I also managed to get an 8bitdo Pro 2 controller. So far it seems pretty cool. Things are a bit stiff at the moment, but i'm hoping using it will break that "newness" in a bit. Just need some adapters for various consoles now.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    ... do you really need to buy a flash cart for the Super Nt?

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    mostly no, but there are a few expansion chips that can’t be run on superNT alone — SA-1 for example. It’ll run cartridges of anything just fine of course, this is specifically if you are talking about jailbreaking the firmware and running ROMs directly on the console.

• dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    ... do you really need to buy a flash cart for the Super Nt?

there are certainly ways to "jailbreak" it, but the way I view the console is more of an as-is device, and it's not something I'm planning on doing. At some point, probably once CPS2 is a bit more matured, i'll be looking to getting a MiSTer setup going. Also a flash cart can be taken and used on other official SNES hardware, so by separating them, it makes for a bit more flexible setup IMHO.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
    edited April 2021
    Great news for the legion of Nokia N-Gage fans out there:

https://youtu.be/6XN9-EavOPE

august on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Is the TurboGrafx worth getting?

Vintage one, or Mini?

Yes to both...

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I started getting into restoring and customizing gameboys, working on cleaning a clear GB Pocket. This is my first complete custom. It came with alt cables to get a SP screen into it, and while i had the parts this was more a test run so i saved the parts. Glad i did, definitely stripped one or two screws (use the ones in the kit, not the originals like I did lol).

wr8i13h5je03.jpg
    h9z7xuaqlcyf.jpg

And the wip pocket, need better tools to get this board off

j7hl0vhxq0wd.jpg

edited April 2021
    Update: got my fancy toolset with magnetic tip, like night and day from using the cheap tools that came with the kits.

1owmz0bzlqtk.jpg

Giving the shell a UV and Hydrogen peroxide bath to restore the luster

4qvr4snf73wx.jpg
    bwgrb9xgf94v.jpg

Also, have the box for the pocket still (and this pokemon red near complete in box... Deciding whether to keep this or sell)

8pngq1y8ejha.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Ya boy is now the brand new owner of a Super Nt.

The craftsmanship alone is *chef's kiss*. I didn't even want to turn it on at first I just wanted to sit there and stare at its untarnished majesty. Eventually though I did and, holy crap this thing is amazing. The image is so crisp at times it feels like I'm playing a pseudo-retro game on the Switch. The myriad of different video settings are a godsend to picky OCD gamers such as myself. I also love how you can set the LED to display the color of whatever the pixel in the center of the screen is at any given time, so when you are moving fast through a platforming level you can see the light following along with you, what a genius idea for LED use. This entire system is filled with genius ideas. I've never been more satisfied with a console purchase in my life, and if the Pocket is even half as well made as this thing is then we are in for a real treat.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    edited April 2021
    Ok final day for the Clear Pocket restoration and it looks pretty good! And it turns on so I didn't fuck it up!! All around good times. I may eventually part with these but for now, they look good on display
    jauxqt6rw6la.jpg
    ie3m3pvkdtaj.jpg
    l8ll6mwu24i2.jpg
    u3di1mxf0qxc.jpg
    4wubpicicjdc.jpg

Still have some replacement stickers coming but I'm proud of this! Next attempt... Getting a SP screen into a regular GBA

Local H Jay on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I will say that the original GameBoy (and the Pocket) were the best handhelds ever made. Built like a tank and played some games that really shouldn't have been able to be played on it (ok, so Mortal Kombat was terrible, but MK II was decent).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited April 2021
    Yeah they're tough little machines. I think I prefer the SP overall as the way to play GB games but I spent hours with my parents GB original and my first ever portable was a blue Pocket. I've been having a good time replaying Pokemon Red for the like, the 55th time. I'm interested in getting some backlight mods for the pocket but anything that requires soldering may be out of my depth for a while

That's why putting a backlit SP screen into older GBA works so well, just a simple ribbon replacement

Local H Jay on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Great news for the legion of Nokia N-Gage fans out there:

https://youtu.be/6XN9-EavOPE

hey the ngage had the only Rifts rpg videogame i know of

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Yeah they're tough little machines. I think I prefer the SP overall as the way to play GB games but I spent hours with my parents GB original and my first ever portable was a blue Pocket. I've been having a good time replaying Pokemon Red for the like, the 55th time. I'm interested in getting some backlight mods for the pocket but anything that requires soldering may be out of my depth for a while

That's why putting a backlit SP screen into older GBA works so well, just a simple ribbon replacement

I just looked up the SP screen into a GBA and man that is way too cool! The one I saw you had to do some minor adjustment to the plastic case and solder a power wire. Guessing they made it even easier now?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »

I just looked up the SP screen into a GBA and man that is way too cool! The one I saw you had to do some minor adjustment to the plastic case and solder a power wire. Guessing they made it even easier now?

The kit I got comes with two ribbons, and depending on the type of GBA I don't think you have to solder... But tbh I only took a cursory glance so I could be wrong and in for a rude awakening lol

There's actually a no-solder/no-cut IPS replacement screen released for AGB recently that retro tubers are having a good time with. Although you can optionally increase the brightness by soldering power or something. Its 2X the resolution of the original so can be a good choice over AGS-101 screen if you want a less obvious screen-door/grid effect.

https://youtu.be/WTkWXb52JJg?t=212

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Probably not retro, and even though it isn't happening after all (for now) the PS3 store shutting down announcement got me to hook it back up again and I started playing games on it and now the 360 as well. Honestly I forgot some of the games I had on these systems and one of the small joys of gaming, at least for me, is rediscovering games you forgot you had. Also, not a bad time to grab cheap 360 and PS3 titles you may have missed. We always have that small window as gamers/collectors to get games cheap that the majority aren't interested in and now is that time for these games.

If you can't find a PS5 or a Series X, hook up one of your old systems again and try not to have fun with them. You might be surprised and find yourself having enough fun to at least tide you over until the new systems are actually available in stores.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday

This is literally my only interest in an N-Gage emulator.

It's the only Rifts® video game, because Kevin Siembieda is a savvy businessman that makes good decisions.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

This is literally my only interest in an N-Gage emulator.

It's the only Rifts® video game, because Kevin Siembieda is a savvy businessman that makes good decisions.

There was another RPG (strategy?) that came out right at the end of the console's life that was supposed to be pretty good too.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Didn't N-Gage have an elder scrolls game too? Or was that canceled or am I crazy?

anoffday wrote: »
    Didn't N-Gage have an elder scrolls game too? Or was that canceled or am I crazy?

Yes, but it looks pretty tough to play.

https://youtu.be/_CgxklAcWNg

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Probably not retro, and even though it isn't happening after all (for now) the PS3 store shutting down announcement got me to hook it back up again and I started playing games on it and now the 360 as well. Honestly I forgot some of the games I had on these systems and one of the small joys of gaming, at least for me, is rediscovering games you forgot you had. Also, not a bad time to grab cheap 360 and PS3 titles you may have missed. We always have that small window as gamers/collectors to get games cheap that the majority aren't interested in and now is that time for these games.

If you can't find a PS5 or a Series X, hook up one of your old systems again and try not to have fun with them. You might be surprised and find yourself having enough fun to at least tide you over until the new systems are actually available in stores.

When the Playstation 3 was released in 2006, I'd say the Super Nintendo from 1990 looked pretty retro at 16 years old. Anyways, 2006 was 15 years ago~

Oh man you're right. The PS3 is retro. I'm so old.

On the upside, any games you have from back then may have become valuable relics! *Side eyes my 3 copies of Glover I have for no reason*

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Oh man you're right. The PS3 is retro. I'm so old.

Mods!!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

Then when you finally find a Series, you flip it to dev mode and fill with emulators, so you can pass the time till Analogue gets stock of anything ever again.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

Yes, but it looks pretty tough to play.

https://youtu.be/_CgxklAcWNg

MAN they are channeling Arena and Daggerfall hard in that one. The compass, the map...

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Of all the N-Gage's weirdnesses, that portrait screen was near the top of the list.

Check it out, my first custom GBA SP
    fwsjeloefwz2.jpg
    lyb6uc53d9wk.jpg
    yw54to6eli58.jpg

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Ok final day for the Clear Pocket restoration and it looks pretty good! And it turns on so I didn't fuck it up!! All around good times. I may eventually part with these but for now, they look good on display
    jauxqt6rw6la.jpg
    ie3m3pvkdtaj.jpg
    l8ll6mwu24i2.jpg
    u3di1mxf0qxc.jpg
    4wubpicicjdc.jpg

Still have some replacement stickers coming but I'm proud of this! Next attempt... Getting a SP screen into a regular GBA

I know it wasn't the point of your post, but I couldn't help noticing those import JSR games. I got the Japan import of the first game, but never got around to doing the same for JSRF, despite the cool box art.

Dirty wrote: »
    jauxqt6rw6la.jpg
    ie3m3pvkdtaj.jpg
    l8ll6mwu24i2.jpg
    u3di1mxf0qxc.jpg
    4wubpicicjdc.jpg

I know it wasn't the point of your post, but I couldn't help noticing those import JSR games. I got the Japan import of the first game, but never got around to doing the same for JSRF, despite the cool box art.

Yeah, I actually picked those up in person my last trip to Japan. Got them in Denden Town in osaka, the games there are cheaper than tokyo by a long shot. Really good memory the moment I found them.

I also have several boxed pokemon games, they go for shockingly little compared to american boxed prices. I assume because japanese hate any wear and tear on used items so any small imperfections mean it's super cheap.

... is there any point to the Guardian Games Strikes playlist other than feeling good hanging out with your class?

The cool thing is if they went all the way and had class vs class teams in Crucible and Gambit, but...

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, I actually picked those up in person my last trip to Japan. Got them in Denden Town in osaka, the games there are cheaper than tokyo by a long shot. Really good memory the moment I found them.

I also have several boxed pokemon games, they go for shockingly little compared to american boxed prices. I assume because japanese hate any wear and tear on used items so any small imperfections mean it's super cheap.

Yeah, I'm not as big into collecting for collecting's sake anymore, so it would definitely have to be pretty cheap for me to get that Japanese JSRF. The main reason I imported the first game was to experience the game without the (IMO) lackluster additions of the US release. I really wish there was an option to play that version in the HD release.