As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Shit, I forgot the RAC5 Bushwacker requires going to an XL engine. Which is the base engine the model starts with but still. It's either punch REALLY HARD but also be super vulnerable in a sense, or you stay at a Light engine and go with RAC2s. The benefit of the RAC2s is way more sustainable fire in matches by way of ammo count.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    My Javelin hit some lul territory.

So prior to the patch, it was equipped with two ERMLs and six LMGs with four tons of ammo. Beagle Active Probe, couple of heat sinks (to meet the 10 minimum needed thing). It was just a scout. That ammo count was 10k rounds which could actually run out in long enough matches without being drastically long.

Post patch, those four tons of ammo turned it into almost 15k rounds. Uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh.

So! I stripped out 1.5 tons of ammo, which leaves it hanging at 9000 rounds now. In exchange I'm able to fit a LAMS in the thing.

Is it still fun? Oh yes.

Edit - Scratch that, I was able to change it to Light Ferro-Fibrous and with a couple of armor points removed this thing gained back a half ton of ammo. <_< SUSTAINED FIRE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Henroid on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Thanks @Nobody for making my King Crab fun again. The "Oh crap!" look of people's faces when they try to face tank me is just too hilarious.

Especially the Shadow Hawk in this match. He walked down a ramp right into me. Turned and hid behind a wall, and stood there while I turned the corner and it tickled me with their RAC2s.
    King_Crab_000B_01.jpg

Edit: Got impatient in this match and decided to push into their remaining 5 mechs on the other side of the saddle. I love the Rifleman IIc's head when they peek over. Just kept on shooting him till he died.
    King_Crab_000B_02.jpg

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Is anyone else thinking about the Awesome 8Q now that PPCs&Snubbies have been buffed? Because you can have 4 of them without heat penalty on an 8Q.

You could also have a Warhammer 6R with 3 snubnosed PPCs, LE280 and a MRM30. Decent speed and heatmanagement too.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    It's only slightly buffed but the kaiju with 60mrms and a UAC20 feels pretty badass. Absolutely spits damage, and you have enough cooldown to twist a bit and get cored out a bit slower lol. Played 2 games with it so far and it felt like I dropped fast... but I also did 600 damage both games.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I forgot how much fun a King Crab was. This patch made them awesome all over again. Annihilator face tanked me after a Black Widow (UAC5/10 build). Both went down and I overheated and self-destructed. =(

Thanks @Nobody for your build. It works so well it isn't even funny. My last match of the day ended with this.
    Flanked the enemy team. Took out their entire back heavies trying to keep us at bay. My team pushed and held the line on the back of the center area. By the time our team was calling for a push I was there to help.

King_Crab_000B_03.jpg

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Nice 5 kills 5 assists 555 damage lol.

Update on the kaiju. I swapped to a MRM40+an MRM20, put in a light engine and added 6SPL for ... brawling .. I guess. That's a 124 damage double tap alpha.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Is anyone else thinking about the Awesome 8Q now that PPCs&Snubbies have been buffed? Because you can have 4 of them without heat penalty on an 8Q.

You could also have a Warhammer 6R with 3 snubnosed PPCs, LE280 and a MRM30. Decent speed and heatmanagement too.

The hotness right now is the 6R with 2xLGR, 2xERPPC

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »

The idea of using LGRs and an XL engine on a 6R does not appeal to me. Not one bit.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options

The idea of using LGRs and an XL engine on a 6R does not appeal to me. Not one bit.

Understandable, I’m mostly seeing them in faction where peek and poke is more common and they do well enough there.

QP mostly only seeing in groups where they take positions to shut down NASCARs.

• Options
    RawrBear wrote: »
    Nice 5 kills 5 assists 555 damage lol.

Update on the kaiju. I swapped to a MRM40+an MRM20, put in a light engine and added 6SPL for ... brawling .. I guess. That's a 124 damage double tap alpha.

Ha! I didn't even notice that when I finished the match.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Did a 3 hour session today and decided that I was going to make some progress with the Clan trialmech mission.

Two matches with the dire whale and I'm both thrilled by the firepower (average damage 500+) and disgusted by the bulk and ponderousness. The warhawk though is just hate. It's almost as much of a target box as the direwolf, the firepower is terrible and all the guns are low-slung.
    All the clan heavy trialmechs are magnificent though (especially the HBR), as is the stormcrow (those LRMs+the defensive laserfist is a great combo).
    While I keep dealing decent damage with the two 2xERPPC mechs (Shadowcat and Adder) for this quest I'm not really thrilled. It's hard to get kills with damage output that low.

• Options
    Me: "I hate this trial shadowcat!"
    Also me (1 hours later): "Hmm. I need a break from these trial mechs. Lets see what I have in my mechbay... ...I have a shadowcat prime (C) in my mechbay from a previous free mech handout. FFS"

One game in my 2xSRM6(A), 3xERML Shadowcat and I have 2 kills and 2 more KMDDs.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    The twin ERPPC ECM Shadowcat is a bit of a beast if you can pilot sneaky.

You too can be the Last Mech Standing on your team consistently, by hiding on walls and taking potshots at max range, never contributing ECM cover to the team, never running interference, and being THAT PERSON for the entire match.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Also me (1 hours later): "Hmm. I need a break from these trial mechs. Lets see what I have in my mechbay... ...I have a shadowcat prime (C) in my mechbay from a previous free mech handout. FFS"

Wait, did that count for the event? I didn't think it would... I so have my own C as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Wait, did that count for the event? I didn't think it would... I so have my own C as well.

It totally counts. All of those Champion models count.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So uh, 16 micropulse Gargoyle is hilarious, first and foremost.
    Kay wrote: »
    The twin ERPPC ECM Shadowcat is a bit of a beast if you can pilot sneaky.

You too can be the Last Mech Standing on your team consistently, by hiding on walls and taking potshots at max range, never contributing ECM cover to the team, never running interference, and being THAT PERSON for the entire match.

I have a similar 2HPPC Griffin that I tend to play as a midrange skirmisher. Admittedly, being able to shred just under a ton of armor off a single segment each time I fire somewhat changes the timbre of my sniping compared to the more distributed damage twin C-ERPPCs gets you.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

It totally counts. All of those Champion models count.

Crap... Oh well.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I went out in my quad LB10X Cyclops last night and forced myself to play nothing but that assault.

Did okay actually, hit my Ballistic damage no problem. Then I realised that I already had a MadCat-B. :star:

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    No reason not have more than one. I have 3:

2xUAC/5, 2xUAC/10
    4xCAC/2. 2xERPPC
    4xCAC/5, 2xERPPC

Nobody on
  • Options
    I noticed that the new meta is generally not nice to RACs. 90% of the time it's either peeking or "that's their entire team coming". So I decided to use my new millions of credits to purchase a VGL-1 and equip it UAC20, 4xHMLs and 4xJJs.

If they will not come to my ballistic damage, I shall take my ballistic damage to them. The HMLs are good too, and although you need to be careful to not overheat your mech (4xHML is hot hot hot) it's really good to have them for peeking and burninating unclean mechs like pirahnas while the UAC20 provides the sustained damage.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Shit, UAC20 on a VGL? That sounds scary.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »

It's pretty good. Especially since the UAC is mounted so high and near the cockpit. The one compromise you have to make is UAC ammo storage (well, if you're OCDing about JJs being symmetrical like I am). If that ammo detonates I lose almost all of my HMLs, but I'm greedy enough to not want to store it in my arms either.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular

I was actually just thinking about getting the 8Q. I kind of want another Assault, despite hating playing with them, and that one looks kind of goofy. I have enough cbills to get it, not enough to make it playable.

• Options
    Remember that WHM-6R build I had brought up with LGR and ERPPC?

You can one-up it on the NSR-9J without XL.

I...may have to get one.

• Options
    Remember that WHM-6R build I had brought up with LGR and ERPPC?

You can one-up it on the NSR-9J without XL.

I...may have to get one.

The NSR-9J also doesn't run the gauss in the torso. So you don't have the problem that an exploding gauss would blow up your entire mech and you don't have to strip down armor to run the setup (plus, the armorbonuses on LT/RT are bigger). So XL is probably preferably if you want to run a 2xLGR/3xERPPC setup (and given the heat an XL is probably the only way to do it since it would allow you to drop endosteel in favor of Light ferro).
    Still very hot, but probably a bit more managable given that the ERPPCs are auxiliary weapons.

In fact tripple PPC is probably still too hot in any IS mech without any relevant heatbonuses (that and the ECM is probably why I strongly prefer the 10P version. ECM+4xAC5s is respectable firepower, with a lot more sustain).

• Options
    Yeah after more thought I’m not entirely sold on it (or any of the NSR variants to be honest).

Gonna wait to see how everything shakes out for the June patch.

• Options
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Currently my Awesome moves at a speedy clip of 60KPH, and despite that I have been left to die by NASCAR in so many matches already.
    I think the lowly 2HPPC 2LPPC I have in it gives me tunnel vision and I fail to properly follow my team. It also keeps putting me in very light teams as the only/one of very few assaults, instead of one of the drops I usually face against in my lights were we have no assaults and the enemy has 5+.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I've been playing my 48kph King Crab tonight, getting either flavour of Canyon is holding forward for 1 minute, then getting left behind by the NASCAR and dying as your team competes at who can not form a firing line the fastest.

• Options
    I've been playing my 48kph King Crab tonight, getting either flavour of Canyon is holding forward for 1 minute, then getting left behind by the NASCAR and dying as your team competes at who can not form a firing line the fastest.

You should paint it bright red like I did. That way it is fitting when you get boiled alive by your salt and the enemy team. Seriously, I painted all of my King Crabs and Crab bright red like a baked crab. Although the freebie Loyalty King Crab is still in stock colors.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

On the VGL-3, you can run an cLBX/20 and 4xcSRM6.

• Options
    Surprised the site doesn't say "Heat Efficiency: Non-existent."

Still I wonder. Is it possible to actually fire the four HPPCs in a single cooldown cycle for them all? I mean, not as an alpha strike, even in sequence I mean.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Henroid wrote: »
    Surprised the site doesn't say "Heat Efficiency: Non-existent."

Still I wonder. Is it possible to actually fire the four HPPCs in a single cooldown cycle for them all? I mean, not as an alpha strike, even in sequence I mean.

Fire them in sequence (or left/right double punch) and it will go from 0-80% heat with zero heat management skills. Because ANH-1E has -15% heat with PPCs and the latest patch reduced HPPCs from 14.5 to 13 heat. So basically post patch firing a heavy PPC on the ANH-1E is not that different from the heat generated by a normal pre-patch PPC.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    Although if you want more sustain (although you have to give up range) this 6xSnubbie build can actually fire 5 fists worth of damage before it has to retreat (or a total of 150 pinpoint damage over 8 seconds).

• Options
    yeah the kaiju has similar querks and can fire 2 HPPCs with skills at like 33%, and it dissipates enough to be back at 0 before they cool down. So 2 sets (on the kaiju anyway) is like, 33% net heat per cycle which is pretty workable. Granted I wasn't also running 6 medium lasers on the thing.

• Options
    So thing I saw today. A Blackjack that had four light PPCs. I dunno if that's a new build because of the patch or not but it... made sense to me.

• Options
    Managed to nail both the B33f’s alt and TTB for 200 GSP.

B33f was playing a HUD-off Warhammer that was easy enough to solo in my Piranha (14 micro pulse is just dirty right now), and TTB was the last one living in his Fafnir that my Dragon CT’d in a surprise salvo.

• Options
    The Cauldron's proposed agility changes for May

Take a look at what they did with the Timber Wolf and Kodiak.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    The Cauldron's proposed agility changes for May

Take a look at what they did with the Timber Wolf and Kodiak.

I don't know jack, but those look like buuuuuuuffs. Is the thinking just to bring them back into line with everything else (because they were nerf-batted previously), or....something else?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no