As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

xbox live and router problems

synesthesiasynesthesia Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok heres the deal. My girlfriend is housesitting for two weeks and they have hi-speed internet, and we dont have it at our house. So naturally I want to take advantage of it for CoD 4. So they have wireless here and the modem is plugged into a lynksys router.

I tried plugging directly into the wireless router and the xbox test connection fails at the MTU usually, sometimes at the "Xbox Live" portion of the test. I have read about changing the settings of the router but it's password protected. I have tried the usual usernames/pass.

I also tried connecting directly into the modem but then the test fails at IP address. So does anyone know how to get around this stuff? Or should I just cut my losses and leave their internet alone?

synesthesia on

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    First off, you can't just plug in to the modem and go, any time you switch around cables you need to reset the modem, router, and xbox. (in general, there are some modems and routers that can avoid this, but the xbox can't)

This is the way to do it.

1) Go from xbox to modem
    2) Reset the modem
    3) When the modem is on and active, turn on the xbox

With a router: (a little OCD)

1) Modem to router, in the internet port
    2) Xbox to router, in an available port
    3) Unplug modem and router
    4) Plug in modem, wait for solid connection
    5) Plug in router
    6) Turn on xbox

If you still fail at mtu, bummer, but high speed is like $40 a month now.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    First off i wanted to say that i think its a very very bad idea that your even trying to change settings on someone elses router. Not to mention the part that your girlfriend is the one house sitting, not you. Second, do you even have xbox live? You said you don't have high speed internet at home and i don't think live works on dial up. Its probably just a blocked ports on the router so without access to the router, i think your out of luck.

Grimm on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Grimm wrote: »
    First off i wanted to say that i think its a very very bad idea that your even trying to change settings on someone elses router. Not to mention the part that your girlfriend is the one house sitting, not you. Second, do you even have xbox live? You said you don't have high speed internet at home and i don't think live works on dial up. Its probably just a blocked ports on the router so without access to the router, i think your out of luck.

Changing the settings on the router is bad, yes. Bringing your xbox to plug into it though is no different than bringing a laptop to get on the wifi. As long as they are cool with someone using the internet while they're gone, then who cares?

I forgot to mention earlier that if you're failing xbox live it probably means you don't have an xbox live account, and you need one. They're $8 a month, since you're only going to have the internet for two weeks.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Grimm wrote: »

Changing the settings on the router is bad, yes. Bringing your xbox to plug into it though is no different than bringing a laptop to get on the wifi. As long as they are cool with someone using the internet while they're gone, then who cares?

Actually i was gonna say something along those lines in my last post but i guess i forgot.
    Its one thing if your able to just plug in and have it work. Although for all you know, they could have left bit torrent or something running while they are gone and your sucking up all their bandwidth. Either way, if you have to get around passwords and mess with settings, then you have no business doing it. Personally, i wouldn't even touch anything since the girlfriend is the one watching the house and not the OP. This of course is under the assumption that the girlfriend is the person that knows the home owners and the OP really has nothing to do with them.

Grimm on
  • Options
    synesthesiasynesthesia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok well thanks for the help guys. I got it working without having to mess with any settings because you're right, I shouldn't be messing with their stuff. I've signed up for the free month of gold and am all set.

synesthesia on