As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »
    Wait, your stoves use natural gas? I've never even heard of that before, out here everything is LP. It makes sense now that I think of it, but natural gas isn't really a thing in New England.

Yes it is. Most cities have gas lines. LP is common in rural (I'm on LP as well). MOST (though not all) gas ranges convert to LP, you just need to adjust the regulator and change out all the burner nozzles with the included LP kit. It's a pain in the ass, but only took an hour or so on the range we got recently.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Anything gas or propane can easily be switched back and forth with regulator. Mount up.

But really just assume anything gas or propane is interchangeable. Propane is easier if you are mobile or dealing with tanks. If you have a gas line, natural gas is the easiest option. Just make sure the line is sufficient for the BTU you need.

But any grill that does one does the other. Gas is great when your grill just always works.

Now fix the igniter in my grill so that I don't have to use a hand lighter to light it

Replace the terrible battery that came with the grill

If that doesn't work buy a better grill :P

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, who wants to put the adage about living in a glass house to the test:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    So. That house is stunning. But I was definitely wondering why there were no drapes at all anywhere. After all, in the winter you’d want to be able to pull the drapes to help with heating, right? But then I saw the white carpet in the nursery/playroom and I understood: these people have fuck-you money and so they just don’t care at all about that winter heating bill in Maryland!

• Options
    edited April 2021
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    So. That house is stunning. But I was definitely wondering why there were no drapes at all anywhere. After all, in the winter you’d want to be able to pull the drapes to help with heating, right? But then I saw the white carpet in the nursery/playroom and I understood: these people have fuck-you money and so they just don’t care at all about that winter heating bill in Maryland!

It's a "smart house" that has hidden shades. Plus, it has geothermal heating, which while expensive to install is cheap to run.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Ah the hidden shades make sense. I’m still a drapes person, though, so I can still look askance! I’m not convinced shades are going to be sufficient in that winter, but I’m meh on all forms of shades in general, so I’m certainly out of date on materials and capabilities and such.

The white carpet everywhere is still an affront. :-D

• Options
    Ah the hidden shades make sense. I’m still a drapes person, though, so I can still look askance! I’m not convinced shades are going to be sufficient in that winter, but I’m meh on all forms of shades in general, so I’m certainly out of date on materials and capabilities and such.

The white carpet everywhere is still an affront. :-D

White carpet everywhere is telling karma to fuck herself.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I really like the blue cabinets though. That color with the gold handles is just really beautiful.

The rest of the house can fuck off though.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    From a facilities standpoint I hate those hidden shades.

Govt buildings often install them, and when they break (when not if). They are almost impossible to repair. So you end up pulling the window to replace it, or leave it half open.

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Anything gas or propane can easily be switched back and forth with regulator. Mount up.

But really just assume anything gas or propane is interchangeable. Propane is easier if you are mobile or dealing with tanks. If you have a gas line, natural gas is the easiest option. Just make sure the line is sufficient for the BTU you need.

But any grill that does one does the other. Gas is great when your grill just always works.

Now fix the igniter in my grill so that I don't have to use a hand lighter to light it

I probably used the wrong name for it. The igniter works fine on the initial burner. The issue is lighting the other burners. From what I can see the line that’s perpendicular to the main burners is not lighting so it’s not able to light the ones not connected to the igniter

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Who's got two thumbs and just fell through his ceiling.

iPssvsT.jpg?1

How could this happen you might be asking. Don't you know to only step on the joists? Well, yes. That only works when the joists are actually attached to something though.

https://youtu.be/_eq242-3Iuw

Thankfully the only damage is a good scrape and a wicked bruise on my right wrist and some sore heels.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Well I'm sure that was exciting... no injury or damage to your possessions in the room below I hope?

• Options
    edited April 2021

Stunning is a good word.

If someone took me there my first thought would be to wonder why they stole all the buildings from a petting zoo and the second would be that they totally have a murder room in the basement.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

I probably used the wrong name for it. The igniter works fine on the initial burner. The issue is lighting the other burners. From what I can see the line that’s perpendicular to the main burners is not lighting so it’s not able to light the ones not connected to the igniter

I don't think I've ever seen a grill that uses the igniter to light all the burners. Mine have been designed where the igniter lights one burner and then the burners light each other.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

I don't think I've ever seen a grill that uses the igniter to light all the burners. Mine have been designed where the igniter lights one burner and then the burners light each other.

My current grill has an igniter for each burner but yeah my old one you lit the burner next to the ignition switch and then turned the other burners you wanted on and they lit off of that first burner.

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

My grill has an igniter that lights one burner, but also lights a flame that goes along the back perpendicular to the burners. This perpendicular piece will light the other burners when their knobs are turned on. For whatever reason, that back flame rarely lights anymore. So I have to light the other burners with a wand lighter.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    We just have a little camping BBQ that uses portable propane cans because honestly that's the only size we need. Still, the damn igniter has never friggin' worked. It works, I can see the little arc of electricity, but fuck if it ever lights the gas. Yeah, a simple dollar store BBQ lighter works every time over that stupid button.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Frankly this Weber is the only one where I've had the igniter button be reliable. On my old Day-Glo it was a crapshoot and my parent's have an Aussie where the igniter died completely in a few months.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice on the ice maker, I’ll thaw it tomorrow and see the damage.

As an FYI, what an old riding mower saves in money it will cost you blood. Drive pulley fell off the engine and shredded the lower drive belt. Multiple fingers were stubbed and an appropriate amount of blood was drawn as sacrifice. Replaced the upper drive belt for good measure as well. But it works again for about $60 in belts, so no complaints from me.

And the damage appears to be a broken feed tube. Unfortunately it requires replacement of the entire feed tube assembly to repair it. Got a new one on the way and the ice maker turned off right now. As long it doesn’t run, it shouldn’t leak now. I’m guessing it developed a small leak inside the freezer and freezing water provided the final kick to failure.

Thanks again for the advice.

Another update: woke up this morning to a puddle of water in the floor. I'm pretty sure the real culprit is actually that the feed valve for the freezer is leaking even when the ice maker is off, which slowly fills the feed tube which leaks into the freezer and freezes. Still busted the feed tube, but now I had to order another $70 of parts.

When will my misery end?

The saga of the broken ice maker has ended. It was definitely a leaking solenoid valve. I replaced it with an OEM part and no more leaks plus I’m actually making ice again! The feed tube is maybe broken? But only a small part of it inside the freezer itself, so I didn’t replace since I haven’t gotten the part yet and operation didn’t seem affected any meaningful way.

I’m very excited to have ice again!

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

iPssvsT.jpg?1

How could this happen you might be asking. Don't you know to only step on the joists? Well, yes. That only works when the joists are actually attached to something though.

Thankfully the only damage is a good scrape and a wicked bruise on my right wrist and some sore heels.

I can't find a picture of our farm porch ceiling but I went knee deep on it when I slipped doing the roof.

And it was 70+ year old wainscoting so like half inch lumber. They build that shit solid.

It happens important thing is you are safe. Get some joist hangers because they retrofit easily. One day and five pounds of screws and your shit is tied down and probably tornado resistant.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular

It's a "smart house" that has hidden shades. Plus, it has geothermal heating, which while expensive to install is cheap to run.

Plus, shades on the interior of a house are for stopping glare or privacy, they do relatively very little to lower the cooling load. Once warm air (sunlight radiation) is on the inside of the building envelope, the warm air is there, it just might not be on a surface that radiates directly at you.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

iPssvsT.jpg?1

I can't find a picture of our farm porch ceiling but I went knee deep on it when I slipped doing the roof.

And it was 70+ year old wainscoting so like half inch lumber. They build that shit solid.

It happens important thing is you are safe. Get some joist hangers because they retrofit easily. One day and five pounds of screws and your shit is tied down and probably tornado resistant.

Matt's ongoing saga with this house is my Homeowner guilty pleasure.

Blows Tarek and Christina out of the water

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    City left me a 'mow your lawns' notice so guess we're finally starting to return to tedious normalcy.

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »
    City left me a 'mow your lawns' notice so guess we're finally starting to return to tedious normalcy.

Usually that sort of evil is left to HOAs. Gross.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Shadowfire wrote: »

my experience is most cities have some sort of charter that says things like you can't leave cars on your lawn and such, they just don't usually get enforced unless someone calls and complains.

Pailryder on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I got a nasty-gram from the city once saying I had x days to mow my lawn or face $1000 fine and/or jail time. Seemed a bit excessive. My grass was only like 4 inches long, too. Still don't know what asswipe complained but I suspect it was the city councilman across the street. You better believe I did not vote for his ass after that. Fucking chode.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I got a nasty-gram from the city once saying I had x days to mow my lawn or face $1000 fine and/or jail time. Seemed a bit excessive. My grass was only like 4 inches long, too. Still don't know what asswipe complained but I suspect it was the city councilman across the street. You better believe I did not vote for his ass after that. Fucking chode.

Seems like a good reason to start a local anti-lawn movement on environmental grounds.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Seems like a good reason to start a local anti-lawn movement on environmental grounds.

A real grassroots movement.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    there's a line somewhere and it's big and gray and fuzzy but on the one hand it IS a safety hazard to have chemicals and oil bins and who knows what else sitting in someones lawn, on the other hand, if its their lawn, it's their lawn and long grass isn't a danger...so yeah.
    the real issue is that many times a simple conversation could solve the problem, or maybe someone trying to help out. like if a lawn isn't mowed, maybe the person has a bad back and needs to pay a kid to do it, maybe one of the neighbors could help out while they are mowing their own lawn. but people would rather be passive aggressive (that's me, i'm usually super passive aggressive).

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Pailryder wrote: »
    there's a line somewhere and it's big and gray and fuzzy but on the one hand it IS a safety hazard to have chemicals and oil bins and who knows what else sitting in someones lawn, on the other hand, if its their lawn, it's their lawn and long grass isn't a danger...so yeah.
    the real issue is that many times a simple conversation could solve the problem, or maybe someone trying to help out. like if a lawn isn't mowed, maybe the person has a bad back and needs to pay a kid to do it, maybe one of the neighbors could help out while they are mowing their own lawn. but people would rather be passive aggressive (that's me, i'm usually super passive aggressive).

Depending on your area it is. It's a big fire danger around here during the later parts of the summer. Long dry grass lets fire spread AMAZINGLY fast. The big issue is on our love of lawns though. Let people put in whatever they want. If they want gravel, or planters or nature scape it. Go for it.

We had a thing around here that if you could show need, financially or physically, the city would come around and mow your lawn for you. It was far cheaper to preemptively mow someone's lawn than deal with a fire later on.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Our grass is getting long, but there's a ton of dandelions there right now and I don't want to mow until the bees really get at them. I'll mow in a few days probably, but right now? Nah.

And hopefully no one complains!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

With how thin the window panes seem to be and all the thermal bridges because the panes are so small I bt it still isn't comfortable in there in winter even if you blast the heat inside because of the heat radiance difference.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    The HOA owns all of the grass in the subdivision as “common areas.” So I don’t mow shit. I just need to hit the weeds in the flower beds with so much roundup.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Our grass is getting long, but there's a ton of dandelions there right now and I don't want to mow until the bees really get at them. I'll mow in a few days probably, but right now? Nah.

And hopefully no one complains!

yeah, my backyard is a ton of dandelions and I have bumblebees (along with a pair of cardinals and blue jays, the regular squirrels) all up in there. I have until next week so I'll give the pollinators a little longer.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    So, our landlord has informed us that he is selling our house either to us or otherwise.

Problem is, valuation in our area (semi-detached townhouse in a condo community in the east end of Ottawa, Ontario) is going crazy right now! We recently spoke to a mortgage broker, who did a credit check on us, and is pretty confident she can get us approved for a mortgage of up to 302 grand, which would have been more than enough to buy our current place out once upon a time, but now is less likely.

So now, we're at a crossroads. Landlord has given us until September to either make him an offer or prepare to move out. Good news is that, in his words, he doesn't want to "give the house away", but he is sympathetic to our plight and is willing to consider a reasonable offer below market value if it means a straight-up property transfer from him to us. (i.e, he doesn't need to worry about renovations or putting it up on the market or anything like that. Basically, if we can make him a fair price, he can just hand us whatever the house equivalent of ownership papers are and we part ways).

Problem is, we have no experience in homeownership. Napkin math tells us that we can probably afford payments on a $300k mortgage based on my salary and what we have on hand for a downpayment, and, assuming our landlord accepts our offer, not having to move is a very attractive prospect, but I fear that there are a bazillion things we aren't considering. Not to mention, of course, that we would now be responsible for condo fees, which are a HUGE bummer (to the tune of approx. $440 a month), meaning that, realistically, we would have to bring the mortgage down closer to $250k if we want to be able to reasonably maintain our current month to month lifestyle.

Anyways, don't want to go on much longer, just stressing out a bit and would appreciate any advice out there.

Just thought I would provide an update to my situation.

Landlord called us over the weekend to inform us that he won't be able to sell the house to us after all, because his accountant just reminded him that if he sells the house to us outright, that would count as capital gains for him, which will be taxed, losing him thousands of dollars. In order for him to prevent that from happening, he has to take possession himself for at least a year.

So, at least we know where we stand. We're hoping to hear back from the mortgage broker this week to see if our application is accepted and then it's off to house-hunt!

As it stands it seems unlikely that we'll be able to secure anything within our budget in Ottawa proper. Plenty of listings within our price range in the outlying areas, however. Now all that matters is finding out how far above asking price are we going to have to go to secure a new home.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    Wait so the dude you are currently renting from hasn't even owned the place for a year?

Sounds like there is a good chance you were going to get screwed on the price anyway, Man, fuck flippers.

I like to ART
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Wait so the dude you are currently renting from hasn't even owned the place for a year?

Sounds like there is a good chance you were going to get screwed on the price anyway, Man, fuck flippers.

no, you're exempt from capital gains of it's your primary residence, so he has to live there for a year for it to count as his residence

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Oh I miss-read that. Uh, that's even uglier?

I like to ART
  • Options

my experience is most cities have some sort of charter that says things like you can't leave cars on your lawn and such, they just don't usually get enforced unless someone calls and complains.

Around here they do it for mosquito control but you have to let your grass get pretty damn long (generally over 10-12") before the city will send anything. Even then they just send a notice saying it needs to be mowed or they'll do it and charge a fee (something like $40 iirc which is frankly pretty reasonable).

In the city's defense they're also really good about making sure all of the public grass stays short.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

Around here they do it for mosquito control but you have to let your grass get pretty damn long (generally over 10-12") before the city will send anything. Even then they just send a notice saying it needs to be mowed or they'll do it and charge a fee (something like $40 iirc which is frankly pretty reasonable).

In the city's defense they're also really good about making sure all of the public grass stays short.

Longer grass is also an excellent place for ticks to reside as well. My old neighbor mowed his property about twice a year and we always had multiple ticks hitching a ride on our dogs or cats or even us about this time of year. The guy that owns it now is same neighbor we had on our other property line and he mows it every couple of weeks. So far, I haven't found a single tick this year on any of my animals. Major improvement from before.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
This discussion has been closed.