As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

196979899100102»

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    My favorite Civ is one of the few that didn't get buffed or nerfed, aside from having its unique unit brought up to the new standard for its type and straightening out it's upgrade path. :?

That's good! It means there won't be a lot changing for you, other than being able to pre-build your UU and having it last longer through upgrades.

I'm actually kind of curious what people think is a good "first civ" for this game. I'm new to Civ 6 and haven't really done much with it yet, so I've been looking for a good starter Civ. Still learning how adjacencies and such work.

I'm thinking Persia atm. I like their UU getting range, and the unique improvement seems good (though I feel like I enjoy unique Districts more), plus it's got mods for a leader I like better (Persia's war buff seems like something I won't use, but who knows?).

But speaking of mods there's a neat Egypt mod that seems good? And I mostly like them, and there's a mod that gives them another unique district which also seems cool.

So I dunno!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I probably wouldn’t play with leader or district mods or anyhing chancing core gameplay when you start out. A lot of mods aren’t really particularly balanced and are meant as a change of pace rather than core to the game.

I think a lot of people like Rome as a new player civ, I have always been partial to Sumeria. Persia would be fine. Egypt can be a little fiddly as they are very river dependent and cramming everything you want in to your floodplains can be a bit challenging.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    That Berserker / Samurai upgrade streamlining sounds like a vast improvement.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    France served me well as a starter civ. I did the espionage one (as it was the only one back then), but the all-culture one seems like it has a pretty straightforward gameplan too

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Auralynx wrote: »
    That Berserker / Samurai upgrade streamlining sounds like a vast improvement.

Berzerkers were massively buffed. Being able to upgrade into them is huge because you’ll probably have plenty of gold as Norway, and also being stronger against archers is a massive buff as well.

Norway is one of those civilizations like Georgia that I never thought was that weak per se, just specialized, but that should give them a nice step up as a dom civ.

I have been playing some with Khmer, I like the new set up better, it has a lot more synergy. They are very river dependent though, so I think like Egypt they will be somewhat map dependent. If you get a nice river to start on your holy sites can be huge though, like having 8 or 10 faith, food, and hammers with work ethic from adjacency isn’t that that far out of reach, and its not impossible to add science to that if you are willing to run a medeival dark age. Add the culture from grand barays and you have a civ like mali that can really dominate if it gets a good start.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Samurai got buffed in particular because it's easier to get culture with the cheaper theater districts that Hojo gets combined with Feudalism being easier to reach (and something a lot of people want anyways) than military tactics. You can then also upgrade your potentially promoted warriors into Samurai to get them online faster.

The payoff is a sliiiiightly better man at arms. I love Japan because their district planning game is a fun minigame in itself but Samurai just aren't very good as far as unique units go.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Khmer tend to have a bit of that planning element (which honestly is present in a bunch of civs). You have to really be looking at your city sites and thinking “How am I going to get a really good holy site and at the same time guarantee that I can place an aqueduct and get as many farms around it as possible”.

Sometimes the game just wants to be annoying and plants you somewhere without many rivers or mountains though.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I just did Khmer, so I'm curious as to how different they are.

Worth another go?

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I'm actually kind of curious what people think is a good "first civ" for this game. I'm new to Civ 6 and haven't really done much with it yet, so I've been looking for a good starter Civ. Still learning how adjacencies and such work.

Honestly, I think it'd be shorter to just list the civs you should avoid playing as until you've got a good grasp of the game's basic mechanics.
    • Babylon — Handles scientific research in an entirely different way.
    • Canada — Has unusual restrictions on when they can go to war.
    • Gaul — Has completely different rules for district adjacency.
    • Germany — Their unique Industrial Zone replacement has different adjacency requirements.
    • Kongo — Can't build a district that's available to everyone else.
    • Korea — Their unique Campus replacement has different adjacency requirements.
    • Mali — Penalizes constructing buildings and units with production.
    • Maori — They start in the middle of the ocean.
    • Maya — Penalizes expanding too far away from your capital.
    • Portugal — Can only send trade routes over water.
    • Sweden — Adds unique world congress competitions to the game that may help their opponents more than themselves.
    • Vietnam — Their specialty districts can only be built on features.
    You really can't go wrong with anyone else. You may not play them optimally on your first try, but they all provide, at minimum, a standard Civ 6 experience.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I just did Khmer, so I'm curious as to how different they are.

Worth another go?

They get stronger bonuses to Barays and holy sites at the cost of their focus on martyr and relics.

If you just finished them they are probably pretty similar just stronger and less of a worry on weird missionary usage to get going. With your faith and culture bonuses and holy site focus you can still get reliquaries going and probably get the wonders if you still want to do the martyr thing though, it just isn’t as much of a focus. They are still a tall religious civ that can go tourism victory.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    With your faith and culture bonuses and holy site focus you can still get reliquaries going and probably get the wonders if you still want to do the martyr thing though, it just isn’t as much of a focus.

If anyone does want to do the martyr thing, Poland does it better than the reworked Khmer.

Kongo too, but only if Secret Societies Mode is turned on.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    My absolute favorite way to play this game now is work ethic Australia. Easy +6-8 production in every coastal city, even on small islands, and even better w/ a mod wonder (Itsukushima Shrine) that gives holy sites a major adjacency to coasts.

Plus unlike Japan every Aussie start I do is awesome. I rolled Japan a dozen times today and every single start was crap.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    My absolute favorite way to play this game now is work ethic Australia. Easy +6-8 production in every coastal city, even on small islands, and even better w/ a mod wonder (Itsukushima Shrine) that gives holy sites a major adjacency to coasts.

Plus unlike Japan every Aussie start I do is awesome. I rolled Japan a dozen times today and every single start was crap.

This is pretty much khmer now but with rivers instead of coasts.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    The new military changes really, really smooth out that bullshit midgame surprise wars on Deity.

Having access to melee units that don't instantly melt to crossbowmen is huge.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Khmer is duuuuuuuuumb now. At least with Secret Societies on. I jumped like 45 science/culture/gold the second I turned on chorus and obviously it only snowballed form there. And so led everything on Immortal from like turn 60 on. Won on 189 via culture. I could have done better with planning, I couldn't make an aqueduct in my third city but I'm really sure why. Had an empty river tile but it wouldn't let me do it. Grrrr.

Also it helped that my first two cities had +6 adjacency holy sites on rivers. So that was 24 food/hammers/faith when I got Theology.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Khmer is duuuuuuuuumb now. At least with Secret Societies on. I jumped like 45 science/culture/gold the second I turned on chorus and obviously it only snowballed form there. And so led everything on Immortal from like turn 60 on. Won on 189 via culture. I could have done better with planning, I couldn't make an aqueduct in my third city but I'm really sure why. Had an empty river tile but it wouldn't let me do it. Grrrr.

Also it helped that my first two cities had +6 adjacency holy sites on rivers. So that was 24 food/hammers/faith when I got Theology.

Now do Eleanor/Voidsingers and win by domination.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Now do Eleanor/Voidsingers and win by domination.

I did that when she launched.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I think I'm gonna give Rome a shot. Seems like an all around balanced civ, the free monuments and roads is great and works well toward any victory. Like, the perks are just all around nice no matter what you're going for, it feels like. The Bath as a unique district makes me automatically more interested in that district, and if I do decide to start messing with mods, there's some pretty good/neat Rome mods.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I could have done better with planning, I couldn't make an aqueduct in my third city but I'm really sure why. Had an empty river tile but it wouldn't let me do it. Grrrr.

Was the city on a river, and if so did it share a single river border with the tile you were trying to place the aqueduct on? For aqueducts, it basically draws a line from capital to the edge of the tile that borders the river. So you can cross a river to make an aqueduct if the tile has two edges that have a river on it, but you can't "double back" as it were.
    yq1lRaq.jpg
    So the two green aqueducts are valid, but the red one is invalid because it would be drawing from the same river border that it crosses.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    The Voidsingers feel really badly designed compared to the other societies. Chorus is just absurd on the civs that facilitate mass faith generation (khmer, ethopia, etc), and cultists do two different things that just shouldn't exist. Loyalty bombing with six of them is the lamest way to take a city; making relics available in mass bc they never thought through the relic economy is lazy.

Relatedly, very glad they took away the Khmer's relic subtheme. Recognized it was a failed mechanic and just pulled away from it entirely.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    What I really hate about voidsingers is having two deity level allies parking 20 of their cultists on my cities, preventing me from moving workers and great people around.

7244qyoka3pp.gif