As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Did scenario 108 last night. What a marathon! Fortunately, we knew that going in, and chose it accordingly. I think it might be one of the better scenario designs in FC, because it does something very different from the base game, but it doesn't have any hidden bullshit that will fuck you.

Also, during setup, you're asked to make a choice that will affect how difficult the scenario will be, but between the narrative text and looking at the board, it's pretty clear what the result of each option is. As opposed to several other scenarios, where choices will be presented mid scenario, with little to no information about which one is "right", oh and by the way sometimes even the right answer is wrong if you brought the wrong cards.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    The writing quality in Jaws seemed way higher than the base game, even for small details like that. Hope it carries over to Frost.

Jaws is great, and apart from Demolitionist being a little off-kilter (but not prohibitively) the classes are all great.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Isaac had a really good post on improving inclusivity in fantasy settings, and how they're living it in Frosthaven.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frosthaven/frosthaven/posts/3185807

What is this I don't even.
  • DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    So, my wife bought me Gloomhaven for my birthday a few years ago and we've been playing just the two of us off and on since 2019. It's a great game and we love it to bits, but holy smokes the setup, tear-down, and general bookkeeping is a bummer for just the two of us, even with the Broken Token organizer and with us splitting the jobs up.

I bought the Digital version on Steam and we gave it a shot there...187 hours later and I have to say it works excellently. We still love the tabletop version and I picked up both Forgotten Circles and Jaws a while ago on sale, but we're going to wait on those until after we move and I can buy a board game table with one of those drop down center bits so we can leave things out without the cats destroying everything. If anyone is interested, the digital version is getting very close to full release - there's only one more mercenary that needs to be added (Saw) and that should be finished and the story mode should be released by the end of summer. Multiplayer works very well with two people sitting in front of the same computer, which is how my wife and I play, and it works online quite well though there are still some network bugs and you get an occasional crash and folks have to rejoin.

Honestly I really really love this game, and I'm very glad that it's doing well enough to get an expansion, an 'intro' game, and now a full-fledged sequel. I'm hoping the digital version does well enough that they'll consider adding in Jaws, Forgotten Circles, and maybe even making Frosthaven at some point, though I know that's quite a bit down the road. I know that I'm going to end up buying the physical Frosthaven when it comes out though; I was looking at some of the character previews a few weeks ago and holy crap they look so freaking cool and I want to play that game like, now. Please? Pretty please?

Edit: Also a question - my current favorite character is Notes, and we're working on unlocking Cthulhu. Ive seen some folks online saying they compete with one another a bit too much. Should I avoid playing them together in a party, or can they work well with one another?

Decatus on
    PSN: decatus90
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Isaac had a really good post on improving inclusivity in fantasy settings, and how they're living it in Frosthaven.

I made the mistake of reading the comments. It is a cesspool.

Whelk wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I made the mistake of reading the comments. It is a cesspool.

You know the rule.

edited May 2021
    Decatus wrote: »
    Edit: Also a question - my current favorite character is Notes, and we're working on unlocking Cthulhu. Ive seen some folks online saying they compete with one another a bit too much. Should I avoid playing them together in a party, or can they work well with one another?

My take is, if you're careless about how you build Notes and Tentacle Face, and/or you're careless about how you play together, you could end up feeling like one of you is the "bad" version of the other, or that you're ruining each other's turns. On the other hand, they could be built to complement each other very well, and/or built to do different, non-overlapping things.

I'd say, when you unlock Tentacle Face, look over their cards (if you haven't spoiled yourself on them already), then decide for yourself whether you think they'll work well with your existing Notes.

Fry on
    Fry wrote: »
    Decatus wrote: »

My take is, if you're careless about how you build Notes and Tentacle Face, and/or you're careless about how you play together, you could end up feeling like one of you is the "bad" version of the other, or that you're ruining each other's turns. On the other hand, they could be built to complement each other very well, and/or built to do different, non-overlapping things.

I'd say, when you unlock Tentacle Face, look over their cards (if you haven't spoiled yourself on them already), then decide for yourself whether you think they'll work well with your existing Notes.

I think this is sort of true for all parties to some degree, right? You wouldn't want a party of full melee glass cannons. You wouldn't want a party of ranged, jank users who hope someone else does the damage. And you wouldn't want a party of tanky support folks. It's hugely dependent on the rest of the party whether something can be balanced out.

Eh, full party of glass cannons, melee or no, is probably the best party. Sure, I agree that a party of no damage dealers is likely a problem, but that's not the issue I foresee with a theoretical Notes/Tentacle Face 2p party, and without knowing how much spoilers Decatus is interested in, I didn't feel like putting in the effort to make spoiler tags while phone posting, so I tried to be vague about it.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I was in a party that was nearly all glass cannons; Notes, Squid Face, Triforce, Angryface.

Angryface has now been replaced by Spears, but prior to that, we just wouldn't get hit all that often.

Sidenote; there are some real horrible side missions, that I really don't know how we'd have done without the ability to constantly remove poisons and wounds. Scenario 72 felt particularly rough (in fact, I've not enjoyed many missions designed by the person who did this one).

PSN Fleety2009
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I was in a party that was nearly all glass cannons; Notes, Squid Face, Triforce, Angryface.

Angryface has now been replaced by Spears, but prior to that, we just wouldn't get hit all that often.

Sidenote; there are some real horrible side missions, that I really don't know how we'd have done without the ability to constantly remove poisons and wounds. Scenario 72 felt particularly rough (in fact, I've not enjoyed many missions designed by the person who did this one).

I'd argue - from a lot of experience - that the "glass" part doesn't apply to Angry Face, but I get where you're coming from.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    I'm fine with spoilers, personally, as long as its mechanics. Story spoilers are always butts, but finding out how a character or class plays just tells me if they're worth my time. Though its moot at this point; my video card seems to have finally given up the ghost after about 7 years and the new PC i ordered to replace it had to be RMA'd the day I got it because it wouldn't boot.

Hopefully we'll have time to play again soon but we're also suddenly moving to Portland, OR, so that and everything involved is kinda priority #1, hah.

PSN: decatus90
    Played the first two scenarios of Jaws of the Lion with my roommate, who hadn't played any Gloomhaven before. Wow, this is like 100 times better for onboarding people than base Gloomhaven. Do recommend.

Preliminary reviews:

Hatchet: super amazing, A+ character. Does tons of damage, at range, and is also very good at both moving and looting. The one drawback is that you absolutely want to spend an early top action on The Favorite, but Isaac scenarios usually make that uncomfortable.

Demolitionist: sort of a rework of Cragheart. Has non-awful initiative, thankfully. No Backup Ammunition and no obstacle creation though. Windup is cute (particularly the bottom) but can be tough to use. Mostly melee character with poor movement, low HP, and nothing to help absorb damage. Feelsbad. (I see the level 5 card helps a bit with the last complaint, but I am skeptical whether that will actually feel good in practice. We'll see when I get there)

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Our Demo seemed to use Windup a lot, for what it's worth; both halves. And they seemed to be always exploding everything for mad damage.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Can someone give me a gentle nudge toward unlocking solo scenarios?

Also there is apparently a puzzle in this game? I have seen that pop up here and there. Is that something that will be obvious when it opens up?

captaink wrote: »
    Can someone give me a gentle nudge toward unlocking solo scenarios?

Also there is apparently a puzzle in this game? I have seen that pop up here and there. Is that something that will be obvious when it opens up?

There's a separate book/PDF with solo scenarios, it's a free download. Per the first page of that book, solo scenarios are locked until Prosperity 3 and at least two characters have retired. Once those conditions are met, any character who is level 5 or above may attempt their solo scenario.

Exception to the above is the Diviner, from Forgotten Circles. Her solo scenario is unlocked during the course of the FC campaign (unless you miss it, ha ha).

There's an ARG type meta puzzle in the core Gloomhaven game. It'll be reasonably obvious the first few times you find pieces of it. Then there are a few pieces you will look at a billion times and never realize they mean anything, and several additional pieces you will probably never find. It is/was meant to be more of a community effort kind of thing, I think. I recommend just reading about the whole thing once you've found a few pieces, unless that sort of puzzle is extremely your jam, in which case, have fun!

Preliminary reviews:

Hatchet: super amazing, A+ character. Does tons of damage, at range, and is also very good at both moving and looting. The one drawback is that you absolutely want to spend an early top action on The Favorite, but Isaac scenarios usually make that uncomfortable.

Demolitionist: sort of a rework of Cragheart. Has non-awful initiative, thankfully. No Backup Ammunition and no obstacle creation though. Windup is cute (particularly the bottom) but can be tough to use. Mostly melee character with poor movement, low HP, and nothing to help absorb damage. Feelsbad. (I see the level 5 card helps a bit with the last complaint, but I am skeptical whether that will actually feel good in practice. We'll see when I get there)

My brother in law and I beat Jaws of the Lion with this combo.

He played hatchet so I can't speak too much to his experience. Getting the favorite out early can be awkward, but he could do good single target and decent multitarget damage.

Demolitionist was great fun. It's rock-em sock-em robots. So many cards with Push, which obviously gets used to push onto traps. Blowing up obstacles to do damage or Strengthen/Bless. Bouncing enemies off the walls for extra damage. I was the de-facto tank, and the demolitionist is ok at that, though healing was super tight. Really makes good use of JOTL's small maps and plenty of obstacles & objectives. Not sure how it'd play in vanilla.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2021
    I finally pulled the game back down off the shelf and gave scenario 18 one more try and got through it. Huzzah. I also unlocked a new scenario because the town prosperity went up! Man I hate oozes and surely this new scenario will offer an exciting change.
    It’s called Oozing Grove ffs.

Bogart on
    I haven't tested it out or anything, but I think a house rule that the component limit for Oozes is 5 for two players and 8 for three might be reasonable. My group, which has played almost exclusively with four players, never had as much trouble with Oozes as folks typically make them out to be. With four players, you usually have one or more options, including "alpha strike a few of them so they don't get out of control" and "AOE all of them so they don't get out of control and/or you can kill them if they were already out of control".

With two players, you don't necessarily have a lot of options, and if they bloat out to a full set of ten, it can be really hard to clean them up.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2021
    I got a bit lucky this time by never picking the 'heal 2' combat card for them.

Oh hey I also unlocked some new items to buy. Major stamina potion looks tasty.

Bogart on
    My group gave up on scenario 72, also heavily ooze focused. I'm a level 7 Spellweaver, my thought is to just come back after I hit level 9.
    And use Inferno. Major Power Potion, Eagle-Eye Goggles, Piercing Bow Hit everything for Attack 5 with advantage. Stamina potion to pick Inferno back up and do it again. Win?

Yeah, that's (obviously) a very good scenario for Inferno. I think I was probably on my Angry Face for that, who has a variety of good options (though not quite so ridiculous as Inferno). Or maybe I was still on my Scoundrel at that point, who would have been great due to my build (all ranged AOE instead of single target melee burst)

Our team's strategy for Oozing Grove/scenario 72, as best as I can recall:
    Melee folks rushed the center tree, so they could hit that AND enemies with their multi target stuff, while the ranged characters cleared space. Then everyone went to one side and cleared it; this allowed Oozes to pile up on the other side, but they're mostly not a threat when they're far away, so we were able to cautiously approach and clear them with multiple AOEs.

I'm gonna type up some AARs in here for my own amusement. We're a midgame(?) party.

Scenario 26-Ancient Cistern [Spellweaver, Circles, Two Minis, Cthulhu]
    Lately the story missions have been more straightforward, the side quests have been more unusual. This one changed the trend a little.
    To win this, we had to deactivate all 4 corrupted pumps. Enemies were living corpses, oozes, black imps, and night demons. Living corpses are normally not a problem with their crappy movement, but we're heavy on summons, who are stupid. We almost lost the bear in the first round to a heavy corpse attack and an ooze barrage. After weathering that, we were able to cruise pretty easily for the rest of that room and the middle one. The last room was a clusterfuck. Running low on time, the Plagueherald and I (Spellweaver) jumped back and turned off two pumps, to stem the tide of imps. We got those two, but the room was now full of imps. We drew their 2 target attack with 10 imps and all in range. If we hadn't loaded the enemy deck fully with curses that would have been it for both of us. The plagueherald got the third one on their last turn, Spellweaver was one card short of enough. That left the Summoner to do some summon shenanigans and crazy jumping to get to the back of the room without getting annihilated by an imp barrage. The Summoner's Walking Bomb got another MVP performance by hugging an imp before exploding to hit 5 or 6 of them, killing a few.

When we unlocked the Summoner, we looked at some guides. Most of them were lukewarm on the class at best. But I gotta say it's 2 for 2 so far. The Beast Tyrant synergy has only been a minor part of that, really. Our player really stepped up his game and learned the ins and outs and how to get the most out of your idiot summons.

The beast tyrant has been real good, and at this point their bear is our only real melee/tank character.

Spellweaver hit level 8. Picked up the mega-jump card. It's going to be a sideboard card, but what a sideboard card. Would have been good on this scenario, if I knew how it was going to go at the end there. I am completely out of exciting perks to take, took both rolling element creators just for the fun of it, really. Also got enough cards to enhance Cold Fire with an extra hex, that will be handy. I have 3 side scenarios until I retire and I really want to stick it out and come back to Oozing grove and blow it up with Inferno.

Scenario 26 is one of the few that took my group two tries to complete.
    I think we hadn't figured out by that point how good it is to have movement boots and at least one jump in your deck, which made the last room nearly impossible. People complain about Oozes, but I find Imps much more obnoxious. Both have very swingy action decks. Double attack at range is always brutal, but at least when Oozes aren't attacking, you can still hurt them. The "go super early and put up huge shields" of the imps is awful, especially when they're body blocking the objective as in this scenario.

edited August 2021
    Scenario 83-Looming Shadows [Spellweaver, Circles, Two Minis, Cthulhu]
    This one went pretty smoothly, despite the Cultists summoning so much. The Plagueherald and I coordinated our big stuns very well to neutralize some otherwise nasty turns. I had just enhanced Cold Fire with another hex, and it paid off nearly every time I played it. The Beast Tyrant's bear once again took a volley of attacks early on that left them in permanent need of healing, and I was actually in a spot to heal it more than once, which was nice. Our Summoner's summons somehow made it for a very long time, due to good amounts of Curse in the enemy deck. The Walking Bomb finally had a whiff, where it had been huge in the previous 2 scenarios.

I saved my Piercing Bow/Major Power Potion/Eagle-Eye goggles wombo combo for the final room and I'm glad I did. Took out the two Flame Demons in one shot. Piercing bow is the shit.

captaink on
    Scenario 72-Oozing Grove [Spellweaver, Circles, Two Minis, Cthulu]
    As was foreseen, we came back when my Spellweaver hit level 9 and used Inferno.

LOL

To make it even more stupid, it was Inferno+Two Minis popping a Mana Potion to give me Fire, + Major Power Potion + Eagle-Eye Goggles + Piercing Bow. So Attack 6 with advantage, ignore shields, hitting everything in the scenario. Then I took a minor stamina potion and did it again with just Strengthen and a Minor Power Potion and active Fire.

Won in 6 turns. All the forest imps died the first turn, and pretty much everything else died on the next one.

I unlocked Moon and I'm going to start at level 6 and I'm not quite sure what to do with my money and card picks.

edited September 2021
    Jump boots are good for Eclipse, especially since most of your moves don't have pips for you to enhance a jump on them. Though you may not need them, and may be able to do as well or better with +move boots, same as everyone else

The card that is your signature is IMO your level 6 card; I'd recommend items that support what that card is doing.

Fry on
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

LOL

To make it even more stupid, it was Inferno+Two Minis popping a Mana Potion to give me Fire, + Major Power Potion + Eagle-Eye Goggles + Piercing Bow. So Attack 6 with advantage, ignore shields, hitting everything in the scenario. Then I took a minor stamina potion and did it again with just Strengthen and a Minor Power Potion and active Fire.

Won in 6 turns. All the forest imps died the first turn, and pretty much everything else died on the next one.

When you absolutely, positively have to kill every last motherfucker in the room. Simultaneously.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

LOL

Technically, it isn't a ranged spell though so rules-as-written I think you can't use the bow on it. On the other hand, you can then do some broken melee weapon combos instead

Flavorwise, I think houseruling it to just be a weird ranged spell is very reasonable, and I don't actually think its strange status was intended

jakobagger on
    jakobagger wrote: »

LOL

Technically, it isn't a ranged spell though so rules-as-written I think you can't use the bow on it. On the other hand, you can then do some broken melee weapon combos instead

Flavorwise, I think houseruling it to just be a weird ranged spell is very reasonable, and I don't actually think its strange status was intended

Yeah looking back I shouldn't have. But I didn't do my other stupid plan of using the Warhammer on it and adding stun, so I think it evens out.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    A really cool fan project is almost done and is available for pre-order (at cost, no profit to the creators.) A TTS version is also going to be available shortly.

https://www.thecrimsonscales.com/

The quality is as high or higher than the base game in many ways and I'm really looking forward to it.

The deal with the pre-orders is while the paper components are going to be available from online print shops, the initial round of orders via one online print shop has the opportunity for a bulk discount if enough people order it. No money is going to the creator in order to stay within the bounds of non-commercial use for all of the various elements and assets.

Scenario 73-Rockslide Ridge (Moon, Three Spears, Circles, Cragheart)
    I don't think I did an update for my first play as a Nightshroud. I cannot keep the name in my head, first of all.

This one started rough and felt like it was going to be a squeaker then we just rolled the last room. I started Nightshroud at level 6, so I have the spend dark+other element to execute an elite card right off the bat. That card is just amazing. An absolute MVP through 2/2 scenarios so far and I'm sure in the future. That and a stamina potion to pick it back up and do it again? Bonkers. I ended up leading the way, calling an audible to sprint ahead and use it on the first cannon instead of the elite Hound I had planned on. Then I potioned and executed the second cannon. By that point my team had cleared up the enemies from the first room and we shakily made our way past the boulders. I got squished twice because we were just constantly in a bad spot. Cragheart did the move that takes out traps/obstacles to give us some breathing room in the middle of the room, and we finished off the cannons and did some long rests.

That second room has a LOT of dudes on 4 player. Lucky I had my execute combo ready to go again, used it on both the elite Inox guards, who helpfully just did their shield/retaliate card for most of the rounds until they were dead. The rest of the group took down the shamans and archers in short order and we won.

I got hit hard first round and took some boulders to the face. I spent the rest of the scenario invisible, almost 100%. My teammates did not love that at times. But being able to approach those cannons in stealth was super helpful.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    And done; completed the whole shebang. Base game, then Jaws, then Circles. Jaws was definitely the best, but Circles wasn't as bad as I thought, once we got out of Bad Puzzle Hell. Our first game was Jan 31 2018, so even with pandemic-induced breaks, I'd say we definitely got our money's worth. Looking forward to Frost.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    Scenario 30: Shrine of the Depths (Moon, Three Spears, Circles, Cragheart)
    Nightshroud saves(cheeses) the day again. We cleared most of the first room of oozes. Then asked someone to make dark strong, opened the door, and teleported to the back of the room on top of the treasure we needed to loot. Next turn I executed the elite (why not?) and did a nice loot 1 for the win and some coin. Took...4 turns?

Yeah, IIRC my group had it easy with Scenario 30 as well. Do you have someone with a massive jump move, especially if they have invisibility? Ez pz

If your party hasn't learned the value of big jumps by then, I can imagine that one being a bit more of a slog.

Yeah, IIRC my group had it easy with Scenario 30 as well. Do you have someone with a massive jump move, especially if they have invisibility? Ez pz

If your party hasn't learned the value of big jumps by then, I can imagine that one being a bit more of a slog.

Yeah we had just retired Two Minis, which could have done the same thing. Those moves are cool and make you feel smart, but this was...wow.

That scenario is also interesting because it has an edge case with the line-of-sight rules as presented in the base game. If you were to think of the huge room as being rooms 2 and 3, you have to actually step into room 3 to shoot the enemies in the corners near room 2, because you can't draw line of sight through the one-hex-wide gaps at the sides of the room (likewise, those enemies can't shoot back at you). I would bet that only a small portion of players would notice that without being told. Probably doesn't hurt the scenario balance, though.

I think Forgotten Circles updates the line-of-sight rules so that that scenario would work how people imagine. Because there's at least one scenario that would be extremely miserable without that update.

Oh man I haven't done a session report in a bit.

Last week: We were on track for a quadruple retirement:
    -I (Eclipse) had 14/15 Battle Goals completed
    -Three Spears needed one scenario in the Lingering Swamp
    -Circles had exhausted 8/10 times
    -Angry Face had witnessed 0/2 retirements.

We weren't in the Lingering swamp. Circles had to exhaust, and I had to NOT do my battle goal, and we'd be set. What do I (Eclipse) draw for battle goals? Kill 1 elite enemy and kill 5 normal enemies. I lol'd, and I had to just show my group. I picked 5 normal enemies (I have my good level 6 card and I'll be dammed if I'm not going to use it) and hoped for the best.

Fortunately/Unfortunately we were doing Scenario 95. I guess I'll spoil this for scenario details
    The goal is to loot 4 out of 6 tokens. The tokens are facedown so you don't know which are the 4 real ones and the 2 decoys. Three Spears jumped into the exact middle of the deep water room and did a Loot 2, snagging 3 real tokens, no decoys. I just hit level 9 and finally had a decent Jump move, so I jumped into the other room and dodged tentacles. I killed one Deep Terror and hopped on the first token. Also a real one, don't have to go any further in this room! This was turn 3 I think, so very little had spawned from the locked door and our other 2 handled them easily. I'm so far into the other room that I spend the rest of the scenario getting back out, the rest of the group goes into the last room and demolishes the named enemy easily, Circles exhausts. I'm not sure there were 5 normal enemies total.

So we manage to be perfectly set up for this week's session.

This week was a breeze. We went to the lingering swamp, I had an easy battle goal (short rests), Circles exhausts 1 turn before the end, we're good. We had to stop for the night because the admin work of retiring 4 characters, unlocking 3 new characters, and raising our prosperity is going to take a while