As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    advantages of trucks/tractors over belts:

1) less clutter on the landscape

2) lower upfront costs

3) one truck and two stations can move many types of items, provided you've unlocked smart splitters. if you don't have smart splitters, you have to have two stations for each type of item, which sucks, and I don't recommend it.

4) they're cool

disadvantages of trucks/tractors, generally:

1) the long-term costs are infinite since you have to sacrifice a bit of coal/min (or whatever, but probably coal) to run them

2) they use more system resources than belts. this should only matter if your rig is below spec or if you're building at extremely large scale, but it's worth keeping in mind.

3) outclassed pretty much entirely by trains

4) setting up truck routes is usually more annoying than either long belts or train tracks

basically, trucks are pretty good in the early to mid game, more or less around the time you unlock them, for moving things medium-to-long distance as long as one point of the journey is near some kind of fuel, and drop off in utility a lot once you get trains and start building at scale.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Sounds like they're really not worth it then for the use case I've got.

Which is fine!

Right now one got multiple bases forming, with resulting train stations to move resources around. The old factory I posted here has been mostly shredded.

I just was not happy with it in the least, it was a mess and wasn't easy to scale. Currently I'm building train stations bring in various resources (raw ores, coal etc) and then going to build out the factory from there. Thinking this time I'll go very modular, so I have sections where I feed in raw or partly processed materials (ingots, plastic, rubber) and get back the final product I want.

That way it's easier to manage stuff for my personal bank, and easier to control with power switches too

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    One trick I learned with my Update 3 factory was to convert ore to ingots on-site, before transporting it to my main factory. This saved on transport space/conveyor throughput as well as floorspace in my factory.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, I always convert ore to ingots before moving them more than a dozen meters or so.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah I think the only ore I don't smelt on-site is aluminum, since bauxite is always far away from the other stuff you need to make aluminum

there's also a case to be made for transporting caterium ore and raw quartz since they're rare, later in the game you'll want to use the refinery recipe with them and it can be easier to bring the ore to water than vice versa

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    See, that doesnt make sense to me.

Copper and Iron convert to Ingots at a 1:1 ratio. Carterium is worth it, that's 3:1 compression or 2:1 if using the Pure. Limestone and Quartz you want to bring in raw because you're feeding them into Concrete, Crystals AND Cheap Silica, so compressing it dosent really help you.

Then when you break out the Pure Recipes, things get messy, because you end up loosing storage space compared to the raw ore - 6:15 for Copper - So you can basically carry triple the raw ore than you can ingots there, 7:13 for Iron and basically double the raw than ingots here.. Bauxite it's whole own thing, and even then looking at the recipes, it makes more sense to move the raw bauxite around.

So i just dont see the point to smelting stuff off site.

(Also, in my case, i'm literally built over/by a waterfall, so i've got plenty of reason to bring in raw ore when i want to break out the pure recipes)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Ok, update 4 progress:

Got some very minimal aluminum stuff set up right on top of a bauxite node, and I've just tapped my first nitrogen node.

Now I have built my longest train yet at 7 or 8 cars. It will pick up the nitrogen, then aluminum products, including batteries, and take it all to my central factory (such as it is).

Now I just have to lay all the track and build all the other stations...should be easy. :P

Glad I'm doing this after the introduction of hoverpacks and zipwires otherwise it would be a massive pain in the ass.

Snutt posted a video talking about Update 4 bugs and teasing Update 5. The full extent of the comments on Update 5 is that they’re not yet saying specifics on what features they’re targeting for that update, nor are they giving a timeline yet. Too early in the cycle for hard info, just that they are starting to work on the next update and that they are still in the project phase of figuring out what features to work on.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Did they change it so now Hard Drive recipes do not require specific technologies to access? I just decoded my first Hard Drive after restarting in Update 4 and two of the recipe unlocks required a Refinery. I'm in Tier 3/4; I'm not going to have a Refinery for a while.

I hope that was just a one-off bug because it's super lame to unlock alternate recipes that you can't even use. I was really hoping to pick up Solid Steel Ingots before I built out my Steel factory, but my odds of finding any particular recipe are going to be super low now. What a Reinforced Iron Plate!

EDIT: Just checked the Wiki and it looks like it's documented there too that there's a bunch of Refinery alternate recipes that can be decoded in Tier 3, mostly the ones that use water for higher yields. Still, it stinks and I don't like it.

Terrendos on
    So I started a new save in Update 4 and then didn't play it much for a few weeks, but I found myself craving more efficiency a few days ago and I got back into it. I've just unlocked tiers 5 & 6, so I'm working a bit slowly with a small trickle of a rudimentary base while I run around making the bones of a megastructure. I'm in the northern forest start, building inside the northern canyon near where it empties into the rocky desert. For this base I'm using lessons learned in my last save and I'm giving each floor a full five foundations of headroom. Right now it's at six floors. The lowest floor is a half-height floor near water level, which will serve as a fluids routing sublayer. The lowest full floor is for refineries and smelters/foundries, the floor above it for constructors, the floor above that for assemblers, and the floor above that for manufacturers, and the roof above that will have train stations. I'll build eastwards into the canyon as needed for expansion.

Right now it's all empty because I've just been running around with concrete, iron rods, and iron sheets laying down its foundations and walkways, but I'm just starting to populate the lower levels with foundries and then I'll lift my way up the supply chain from there.

(not pictured: my shitty cramped starter base just behind the camera, with conveyor spaghetti everywhere)

eaxmln73jw3t.jpg

I've been in the process of doing a massive teardown of my old factory and a rebuild, and i'm sloooowly getting close to done.

I've got everything sorted on the Steel side, making everything form Heavy Modular frames to all the predcessors for that, all for my personal useage. There's a fuel factory up and running (and finally debugged after some werid issues popped up) that's producing Turbo fuel to run everything. it's not the most efficent setup since i'm just refining Oil into HOR and that straight into Turbofuel, but i also dont care - It's producing over 3 times my average need, and a good 3k above my theortical maximum draw (Which... i never hit anyway). The byproducts of this are being turned into Packaged Fuel (the excess HOR - easy fuel for my Jetpacks, and i guess my explorer) + Plastic and Rubber.

Train stations are up all over the place brining in resources - i'm just about to setup one to bring in Silica and Crystals for the base. The entire fuel setup is being done with trains - One train brinign Compacted Coal and Blackpowder (Fine version) to the Refinery, where the Fine blackpowder, Fuel, Plastic, and Rubber is then taken home.

...that Train is named Ser Booms, for obvious reasons. Pray it never derails.

Next stage is to finally finish up the copper/carterium side of things so i've got Motors, Computers, High-Speed connectors being made.

Then i'll build the actual "Making shit for the space elevator" stage by itself, on it's own feed of resoruces - everything else is being made and sent to storage so i always have a huge supply of useful thins to fuel wahtever building projects i need. And the space elevator side needs to be extendable for later tiers + send it's excess to the good ol' grinder for delicious tickets.

Thoguh it really makes me wish for like, a storage container that only holds say, 12 items. I dont actually *need* 2.4k nobelisks, but by jove i've got them now.

I'll post pictures where the copper side of things is done.

edited April 2021
    Constructor rows. Input materials are routed along the ceiling using frame foundations with a conveyor wall to anchor the conveyor belts. Constructors are placed three ticks away from the input conveyor center (a conveyor lift dropped from the splittler should be red-obstructed until you get down to the input port on the constructor, then it'll turn blue and work), and the output is routed back overhead the constructors (four stackable poles high) so that it can be lifted to the next level.

vg983zob2z9c.jpg

9py9gj5sezp9.jpg

Tynnan on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Whatcha makin;?

edited April 2021
    Oh, y'know

a little bit of everything wot constructors make. Right this second I'm setting up to automate a few of the tier 5 and 6 unlocks and then swap things over to unlock tiers 7 and 8. I am trying to avoid the temptation to go too detailed on this factory before I unlock aluminum conveyors, since those are so important for good throughput.

I mostly just wanted to share the ceiling routing and the conveyor lift arrangement that I found while setting this up.

Tynnan on
    Next time i build a fluid factory, i'm making sure the fucking thing is built with a progressive set of steps so the fluid is always going down hill, rather than flat.

It has taken way too long to debug this damn'd power station once i set it up to run 100%

Various issues that have cropped up include flow rate issues (Solved via copius valve abuse), The loading/unloading of trains creating a subtle resource jam that took literal real life *hours* to manifest and other fun. Thank fuck for being able to flush an entire pipe network, it really helps

12 hours into my Update 4 world in the northern forest, I've got most of Tiers 3 and 4 complete and I'm working on my consolidated Steel fabrication facility. This time, instead of having distant bases for particular materials, I've been bringing everything to a centralized location. I have my Iron stuff in one building, and now Steel in a building next door. The plan is to fit in some basic Limestone, Copper, and possibly Caterium stuff in the same area, so I can be producing everything up to oil processing in that location. I'll have to decide whether to bring Quartz and Sulfur there, or if I'll want to start a distant building in a different location for Manufacturing / Tiers 5 and 6. At least everything has been going much faster now that I'm not having to drive/hypertube halfway across the map to pick up building materials.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I got my big train from my previous post all set up last week and it immediately killed my power grid, destroying all my will to bother fixing it for a few days.

But after that I did fix it, and now everything is running smooth. Had to head north into the barely-explored desert to find another geyser to use to bump me back up to where I needed to be.

Ironically I need more fuel generators or something if I'm gonna attempt to go nuclear. Whatever cluster of machines I build to start that process will certainly push me over the limit again.

I am absurdly inefficient in games like this. I might (and thats a big might) do some basic math, but mostly I just fuxkin wing it.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    It's not me that's inefficient, it's this planet.

Hover Pack get. Hover Pack good.

Tynnan wrote: »

Man, you've shot ahead of me. I need to actually just build shit so i can get to T7 already, i really got lost in the weeds with this factory rebuild. Ah well

Man, you've shot ahead of me. I need to actually just build shit so i can get to T7 already, i really got lost in the weeds with this factory rebuild. Ah well

Prioritize Aluminum and mk5 conveyors over everything else. They're a game changer.

Prioritize Aluminum and mk5 conveyors over everything else. They're a game changer.

Screw priorities, getting lost in the weeds is more fun.

Plus i've learned a lot doing this, and at least some of the ground work i've done is going to be Vherrry Useful come T7.

Northern forest start, and I've finally gotten a really long conveyor up-and-running to bring coal over to my Sulphur pits.

Let the arms manufacturing begin!

FF4B3655BA1C0DE86301108292AAD676BB320C56

Preview of my new factory design.

Super-open, wide style, but keeping a modular theme to it. I'm floating over the Iron smelter stack, you can see the steel forges, Caterium smelters and Copper smelters, and the stat to actual production chains.

All the power wires are hidden underneath everything, as are the conveyor belts, mainly to make it that much easier to keep everything organized and not a visual nightmare.

Also the hoverpack is so fricking good.

• RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok. Thinking of diving back in now that Update 4 is good to go. I am in search of preferred start/build spots.

I am thinking of going a route with a large constructor facility that feeds into an assembler with first stage, second stage, etc separated by vertical levels/floors. Thoughts?

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
    @RightfulSin

Northern Forest
    There's a cliffside overlooking the pinkish desertish area that has 4x Pure Iron, 2x Pure Copper, and is real close to coal and water. Has some easy crash sites nearby, too.

I just started there for this run and it's pretty aces.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    got a question about water towers, if any of yall are using them. since the pressure pipe is pushing excess of what the system is using, I should be able to split it up indefinitely so long as it's feeding perfectly balanced systems, yeah?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @RightfulSin

Northern Forest
    There's a cliffside overlooking the pinkish desertish area that has 4x Pure Iron, 2x Pure Copper, and is real close to coal and water. Has some easy crash sites nearby, too.

this is a really good spot, highly recommend

@RightfulSin

Northern Forest

Would it not get cramped on the spot though?

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
    RightfulSin

Northern Forest

There is a limestone node in this same area so you'll have plenty of concrete for building out a platform and making a multistory structure.

RightfulSin

Northern Forest

There is a limestone node in this same area so you'll have plenty of concrete for building out a platform and making a multistory structure.

Building out, ya mean out over past the ledge above the valley?

Wherever you want! But yeah, bridging the canyon is the closest spot to make space from that cluster of nodes

edited April 2021
    One piece of advice is that until you're in T7/T8 and building the REALLY big projects... you honestly do not need more than one pure node of each thing, except Coal. And you only need an extra thing of coal because you'll use one for power, and one for... everything else.

A T2 miner overclocked to max will spit out 600 ore a minute, which is more than your conveyor belts can handle until you can unlock T7/T8 stuff. Even capped at 480 you can do a lot.

Just as an example - you can take 480 Iron Ore, make 480 Iron Ingots. Then you can convert those iron ingots and 480 coal into Steel via the Solid Steel recipe... And get 720 steel out. Per minute. Which you can then spend on making a metric ton of Steel Beams and Steel Tubes.

Heck - One pure oil node + one normal sulfur and coal can make you 9.4k MW a minute, and that's using the laziest approach to making turbo fuel (Converting Oil into HOR directly, then converting that straight into Turbofuel. You can go even further by doing the HOR -> Packaged Diluted Fuel -> Fuel -> Turbofuel, but that massively increases the logistics chain and i dont think it's worth it until you can get blenders and just make Diluted Fuel without having to package and unpackage it).

Which is just an immense amount of power you'll have trouble using until you're doing the REALLY crazy projects.

Bonus is that spits out a bunch of polymer resin as a byproduct that you can convert into essentially free Plastic and Rubber.

Hells, wanna go a bit crazier? Say you need Iron Plates. (You always need iron plates). Just put in 7.5 of of those steel ingots you're getting, and 5 plastic plastic per minute... and you'll get 45 iron plates per minute out. So, make that 75 steel and 50 plastic a minute and you're getting 450 iron plates a minute, basically saturating the damn T4 conveyors. All this for slightly over a tenth of the steel you're producing per minute

For contrast - by default you're spending 3 iron ingots to make 2 iron plates. That recipe converts 2 iron, 2 coal and a small bit of oil (as low as .5 Oil if you're using the 1 oil to 3 plastic trick) into 18 iron plates. One assembler is doing the job of 9 constructors!

And that's all before you get t5 conveyors and t3 miners and go entirely insane.

The Zombie Penguin on
    One piece of advice is that until you're in T7/T8 and building the REALLY big projects... you honestly do not need more than one pure node of each thing, except Coal. And you only need an extra thing of coal because you'll use one for power, and one for... everything else.

A T2 miner overclocked to max will spit out 600 ore a minute, which is more than your conveyor belts can handle until you can unlock T7/T8 stuff. Even capped at 480 you can do a lot.

Just as an example - you can take 480 Iron Ore, make 480 Iron Ingots. Then you can convert those iron ingots and 480 coal into Steel via the Solid Steel recipe... And get 720 steel out. Per minute. Which you can then spend on making a metric ton of Steel Beams and Steel Tubes.

Heck - One pure oil node + one normal sulfur and coal can make you 9.4k MW a minute, and that's using the laziest approach to making turbo fuel (Converting Oil into HOR directly, then converting that straight into Turbofuel. You can go even further by doing the HOR -> Packaged Diluted Fuel -> Fuel -> Turbofuel, but that massively increases the logistics chain and i dont think it's worth it until you can get blenders and just make Diluted Fuel without having to package and unpackage it).

Which is just an immense amount of power you'll have trouble using until you're doing the REALLY crazy projects.

Bonus is that spits out a bunch of polymer resin as a byproduct that you can convert into essentially free Plastic and Rubber.

Hells, wanna go a bit crazier? Say you need Iron Plates. (You always need iron plates). Just put in 7.5 of of those steel ingots you're getting, and 5 plastic plastic per minute... and you'll get 45 iron plates per minute out. So, make that 75 steel and 50 plastic a minute and you're getting 450 iron plates a minute, basically saturating the damn T4 conveyors. All this for slightly over a tenth of the steel you're producing per minute

For contrast - by default you're spending 3 iron ingots to make 2 iron plates. That recipe converts 2 iron, 2 coal and a small bit of oil (as low as .5 Oil if you're using the 1 oil to 3 plastic trick) into 18 iron plates. One assembler is doing the job of 9 constructors!

And that's all before you get t5 conveyors and t3 miners and go entirely insane.

Ehh... so while technically you might be able to get away with using a single node, often you're better off using multiples, for the reasons you yourself mention: with Pure Nodes, you're basically always going to be restricted by the speed of your belts. I'm using a pair of Pure Iron Nodes at the start of Tier 5/6 (just wrapped up the 3/4 Project Assembly package and sent it off) to make my Iron and Steel goods, and even then I'm a bit throttled on a few parts. Iron Rods, for example, were the last thing I considered in my ironworks, so I'm only getting 3/min of them. And Steel Beams I'm getting 12/min, which sounds pretty good but Tier 3 Conveyors are so prevalent that it's barely keeping up with my building. Honestly I could really use another Pure Iron Node and some more Coal with a few of those alternate recipes using Steel for Iron stuff in order to get enough of everything to feel comfortable, and that's with doing the bare minimum of sinking for Awesome Tickets.

IMO Multiple nodes become an absolute necessity in Tiers 5 and 6 because you're scaling up so much and your belts are still stuck at 480/min. I think my first Tier 6 base had 4 or 5 total iron nodes coming in to support it, and honestly I wasn't even doing anything especially crazy. That said, you have the benefit by that point of using Trains so you can move those resources around much more easily.

You can plan around that throttling though, and in a lot of cases you just don't need that much production. Like you mention iron rods, but once you dig into alt recipes you only need iron rods for building stuff yourself. One constructor using the steel rod recipe makes you 48 rods a minute... Connect that up to a storage crate, and you're golden. The chances you're actually using more than 48 rods a minute is miniscule.

Hell I actually want a smaller storage crate that I can plug in conveyor belts to, because I just don't need 24x500 of an item most of the time. By the time I've chewed up even a fraction of that it'll be replaced!

edited May 2021
    One other tip that's relevant when you hit T5/T6:

Trains!

Trains are really great in general. However traisn are... for lack of a better word, lossy.

What i mean by this is that there's a pause when a train picks up it's cargo where items cannot be loaded, and a pause when a train is depositing it's cargo when the same applies. Now if you're moving small quaitinies of things around , this is not a huge issue. but if you're moving ore or ingots or anything in bulk around, issues can pop up.

See, the net effect of those pauses is that a train does not move items at the same rate as conveyor belts. A train can take in up to 1.56k items a minute and unload the same per freight platform. (Two T5 conveyors feeding into a single freight platform). So if you're trying to balance around that... yer gonna hit issues because of the Unload and Load pauses. (I'm also honestly unsure on the math of how fast trains can move items, it gets complicated fast).

So keep that in mind if you're trying to keep stuff moving with trains. This where things like Pure Iron and Pure Copper really start coming into their own - Mine em at the spot, run a train to the water source and refineires, and build your factory using up the intial ingots there, because you can convert that Ore into a crazy amount of Ingots, and the huge excess of production means you can more easily build around a target number

(Also this obviously doesn't apply for any compressible resource - Carterium Ore, Raw Quartz, Limestone are all better processed on-site. If you're using Pure recipes for them, just ship the water in with trains if there's none near by, and use a fluid tank to act as a buffer. just remember you'll need to make more water than you think to make up for the delay trains impose)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    RightfulSin

Northern Forest

Building out, ya mean out over past the ledge above the valley?

My base is in that spot and I've just built over the canyon. Gives me lots of room for subfloor/lower floors, easy to expand further along the canyon if I need more room.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited May 2021
    None of you can prove that i'm planning to do improve my power system with a Blender setup and i dont want my power grid to fail and explode while i'm doing that.
    F56CE88BB9A7AC10E591FA1D7807A9981A214669DE65DDD6ED940BD11EA77E666144CE32B6D8C26F

None. Of. You.

...also i kinda wish it could go all dorf fortress and model the explosion of throwing a nobelisk into that much fuel and detonating it. It'd be interesting! I dunno how much map would be left afterwards!

For anyone curious: 100MWh stored in those Batteries, and that's 40 (Yes, 40) Industrial fuel tanks. Most of them are still empty, but they'll fill up given time.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I didn't realize fluid buffers are stackable. I don't use them much and never tried it.

Careful, Penguin. That battery skyway looks awfully similar to the power pack of a Tesla and we all know what happens when those get poked too vigorously.