As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Do you have to trade through Let's Go? How does that even work. We have the game and I could probably help if you just needed someone to trade back and forth. My son may have a couple to trade back and forth too though I haven't been paying as much attention to what he has right now.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Has anyone else preordered Snap through Amazon? I'm a bit baffled by what they're telling me.

Game releases tomorrow on April 30. But my game is not expected to ship/arrive until sometime in the (massive) window of May 13 to May 25th. Like... wtf...???

ra6g12mi7d0p.png

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I saw something very similar. Granting that I don't do much shopping from Amazon, but I have learned that among the other various way's they're crap, their delivery time estimates are also usually massively inflated and the free shipping tends to get it to me several days in advance of their estimate. So I just keep an eye on the order tracking page and my stuff gets here when it gets here.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Has anyone else preordered Snap through Amazon? I'm a bit baffled by what they're telling me.

Game releases tomorrow on April 30. But my game is not expected to ship/arrive until sometime in the (massive) window of May 13 to May 25th. Like... wtf...???

ra6g12mi7d0p.png

If it's like Returnal then they have sold through their first shipment already so you would be getting the next go around.

Despite what some people say pre-ordering early can actually still matter as things do sell out.

I had to cancel my Returnal order and gonna have go digital. Normally I have stuff in sooner and many times it doesn't matter.. but it looks like they are selling more than expected.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Best Buy does curbside pickup btw.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Yeah, Amazon is absolute garbage for pre-ordering anything. I stopped trusting them long ago with my pre-orders. I've seen this same kind of thing way too many times.

As Kupi said, the dates they're giving are probably massively inflated - Amazon LOVES to overestimate to a ridiculous degree - but you might not get on launch. Personal guess, you'll get it over the weekend or early next week.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Yeah, Amazon is absolute garbage for pre-ordering anything. I stopped trusting them long ago with my pre-orders. I've seen this same kind of thing way too many times.

As Kupi said, the dates they're giving are probably massively inflated - Amazon LOVES to overestimate to a ridiculous degree - but you might not get on launch. Personal guess, you'll get it over the weekend or early next week.

Yes, this. They estimated that my Series X might show up 2 weeks or more after launch, it was actually sent like... 3 days later? Not bad at all for the horror show the Post Office was at the time.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Amazon operates under the idea of "let's give them a massively unrealistic date just in case something crazy happens and we can't ship out soon, then they can't yell at us that we blew the date twice, and they shouldn't be mad that it's *early* either." It's extremely frustrating because you basically can never trust the dates they give when they have to delay something.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Someone should ready a new thread since this will easily hit 100 at some point tomorrow

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    Do you have to trade through Let's Go? How does that even work. We have the game and I could probably help if you just needed someone to trade back and forth. My son may have a couple to trade back and forth too though I haven't been paying as much attention to what he has right now.

Let Go can trade with other Lets go games and pokemon go. Anything transferred to bank is locked from going back.

This is incredibly dumb and yet another baffling design choice for those games

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I don't know what kind of game Pokemon: Let Go would be and I don't particularly want to find out.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I don't know what kind of game Pokemon: Let Go would be and I don't particularly want to find out.

Pokemon: let go, the story of how lorelei left the elite 4 and brought an endless winter to kanto.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

Pokemon: let go, the story of how lorelei left the elite 4 and brought an endless winter to kanto.

Ah, a Hades crossover.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I finally caught a card restock at Walmart.

Managed to snag a Battle Styles Elite Trainer box, 4 packs of darkness ablaze, and 3 shining fates boxes (pikachu, boltund, and eldegoss)

I probably spent too much, but was just stunned I found that much (and there was a scalper there buying a ton too)

They also had a ton of tins, packs, and starters

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Pokemon Snap seems good so far but I've only done like four runs.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I've only done the park level a few times and it's great so far. There always seems to be something to take a picture of.

I REALLY like this new one-star, two-star, pose system that they've added. It makes it worth your while to take new pictures of Pokemon even if you've already seen it before. Sometimes you don't realize you have a four-star pose until the evaluation.

• Options
    It's so chill. I love it.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Some of these requests seem a tad picky.

Like yawning Torterra. I swear I’ve photoed it yawning several times, getting 4 stars for the pics implies I hit the rare pose, but the request never completes.

Part of the issue seems to be having to blind submit one picture before you know if it qualifies or not.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I'm not entirely sure I get what the stars mean. My pictures sometimes get classified as various stars and I don't know why.

Also, I wish I could move the camera in one go instead of moving the center point and sort of drag the camera behind.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    The stars are independent of the final score and mean the rarity of a pose itself. A Pokémon standing there or walking normally will likely be one-star. If a Pokémon is doing something amazing it could be three or four stars.

Sometimes though you’ll technically capture a rare pose but the Pokémon will be far away or it’s the very beginning or end of the animation so it might not look much different than a one-star.

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Also, I wish I could move the camera in one go instead of moving the center point and sort of drag the camera behind.

Use the right analogue stick. Moves the frame and is such a better way to play.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Look at the frame of the picture right after you take it. Usually it'll glow green for a bit if you nailed something good.

Like yawning Torterra. I swear I’ve photoed it yawning several times, getting 4 stars for the pics implies I hit the rare pose, but the request never completes.

I got this one- method is under the spoiler if you want some help.

I actually nailed this one- it triggered for me off one of the final Torterras in the flower meadow, the one with the Scorbunny and Pichu(?) sleeping next to it. I hit it with a berry and snapped the picture.

One of the absolute hardest I've been trying to get is Bunnelby's four-star- not because it's hard to find Bunnelby, but because it's so goddamned hard to smack it with an Illumina Orb and then quickly follow it up with a Fluffruit because of how fast the thing moves from spot to spot. Honestly, you almost have to use the zoom function just to get more than three or four shots (you slow down when you're zoomed in), and it's like the tips of its ears you have to hit. Not such a problem with orbs because they're splash, but fruit has to be right dead on.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm hesitant on getting the new Pokemon Snap blind, largely because my last impression of the series was when it was a Nintendo 64 game and everyone had much lower standards. How well does it stack up to modern games?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I'm hesitant on getting the new Pokemon Snap blind, largely because my last impression of the series was when it was a Nintendo 64 game and everyone had much lower standards. How well does it stack up to modern games?

To modern photo taking games? That's not really a thing so... pretty good if that's the kind of game you want to play? Certainly better than that Ps4 Safari game, most likely better than Bugsnax.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

The core gameplay loop is basically exactly like the first one - you go to an area, move through a set path, and eventually you get items and stuff that let you prompt different poses and activities. There are way more areas than the original, way more pokemon, more of a story progression, etc. It also has all the charm and visual appeal of other Pokemon games, and is overall just a very chill, relaxing game. The previously mentioned star system for photos and requests give a good excuse to revisit areas, and you'll also upgrade each area and unlock new pokemon/events as you go.

Basically, it feels like what you probably remember the first Snap feeling like. It's hard to say if it's worth the money since it's a full-price release, but I'm very much enjoying it for what it is.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    New Pokemon Snap is so dang good. Also I am constantly amazed at the amount of content in this. At one point I counted up the stages, EXCLUDING night and boss stages, and it still came out way over the original game. And then I unlocked a couple more stages after this even... ATM I feel there's one biome that's really missing (
    a power plant/electric pokemon biome
    ) but it still might show up considering two others I felt were missing got unlocked for me recently (
    snow and cave :3
    ).

FWIW, my current tally is at:
    -11 "day" (or no time period) stages
    -6 night stages (I think, I haven't unlocked one but there is a "(day)" in front of the day one, so there must be a night version)
    -5 boss stages

And that's just how far I've gotten...

That said, current minor gripes:
    • You should be able to submit one picture per star, not per pokemon. It's annoying to get like some amazing 1* photos but because you got a rarer one at 3* or 4*, you just have to throw them away. It made sense when you were literally only saving one photo per pokemon in the original, but now you're saving four...
    • Requests that come after I just took the photo that the request is for, so the request is not completed even though I HAVE THE PHOTO RIGHT HERE LET ME SHOW IT TO YOU! Also some requests I'm finding are really misleading. Good example in the desert stage:
      The request wants Torchic burning an apple. Seems simple enough. But the normal animation for this does NOT complete the quest. You have to get Torchic to jump up and do like a fancy burning of the apple for 4* to complete the request. The fact that there are two different animations for this same act just makes it super confusing because you think "Hey I totally took that picture!"
    • I miss pester balls T_T

Also I swear to god if Oak does not show up after all this "a certain Pokemon professor" teasing bullcrap I will riot. He also needs to say "Wonderful!" at least once...

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    New Pokemon Snap is so dang good. Also I am constantly amazed at the amount of content in this. At one point I counted up the stages, EXCLUDING night and boss stages, and it still came out way over the original game. And then I unlocked a couple more stages after this even... ATM I feel there's one biome that's really missing (
    ) but it still might show up considering two others I felt were missing got unlocked for me recently (
    ).
    Does seem like an odd omission that sadly isn't in the game. Most likely a power plant wouldn't make much sense storywise since every area is generally linked to a ruins/illumina Pokemon, though they could just say that the plant was built on old ruins. Here's hoping for some DLC.

There really is a lot of content though, especially compared to the original. Probably took at least 20 - 25 hours to get to the credits and I still have a lot left to do.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Apropos of our previous conversation, Amazon says that my copy of New Pokemon Snap was shipped today and should arrive by tomorrow, being previously anticipated by 5/20 at the earliest. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You might want to check for a similar notification if you preordered it.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    It absolutely kills me that Pokemon Snap doesn't have Surround Sound. Only stereo. Every other game on the Switch works and my PS5 works.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    skeldare wrote: »
    ).
    Does seem like an odd omission that sadly isn't in the game. Most likely a power plant wouldn't make much sense storywise since every area is generally linked to a ruins/illumina Pokemon, though they could just say that the plant was built on old ruins. Here's hoping for some DLC.

There really is a lot of content though, especially compared to the original. Probably took at least 20 - 25 hours to get to the credits and I still have a lot left to do.
    Haven’t got the game, but would an old wrecked cruise ship work? Electric/Steel/Ghost/Fairy location to be sure.

* Primarina on the upper deck.
    * Chandelure lighting a ballroom. Clefairy and Gengar dance beneath it.
    * Startle a Elekid to have it briefly turn on the lights in a hallway.
    * Mr. Mime on stage for an audience of Dedenne.
    * Doublade on the wall of the captain’s cabin.
    * Klinklang and Magneton nesting in the engine room.
    * Barbaracle bursts out of a bedroom door like Mr. X from Resident Evil, followed by a wave from a hole it’s made in the hull. Cloyster washes in, but gets stuck, filling the hole and saving what’s left of the ship.
    * Finally, when you reach the wheel, a Chatot is balancing on it, making pirate noises. Throw an apple at the wheel to send it spinning.
    * Maybe Skarmory with an old scarf on its neck up the main mast, with the assumption it was once a trainer’s ace.
    * Oh, and a bunch of Pincurchin at some point.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Honestly, one of the things I don't care for with the game is the RNG that comes into play with some of the routes.

The first beach route has three different branching paths it can take- it just depends on what direction the Wailord in the area decide to jump in. I don't know if each route has unique Pokemon on it, though.

Finally got Bunnelby for a four-star, though. I wish there was a selection method to allow you to choose where to start in the lab's yard instead of just hoping you get the alternate start path.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    November 19th for Pokémon Diamond and Pearl remakes

January 28th for Pokémon Legends Arceus

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Arceus is very interesting to me. I hope it ends up being fun.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Damn. So one amazing year of games and already looking to start the next one off strong too.

• Options
    I still need to see more of Arceus. I'm interested in the idea of it, but what they've shown so far was ROUGH looking to say the least. I know it's still early but I mean, it's also Pokemon Company so.... (I still remember how the wild area ran at about 10 fps half the time :P)

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Wild Area runs so much better in offline mode, but even then it chugs when it absolutely shouldn't. I hope they have more people working on optimization on Arceus, but I won't believe it until I see it.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I have both my fingers and my toes crossed that Arceus is a good game.

It's such a cool concept and i would be absolutely upset if its half-assed.

• Options
    It's one of those games where if I just get to run around with my buddy cyndaquil(the greatest starter ever that I never got use) with some amount of sense of adventure I'll be happy.

Anything else is a nice bonus.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I'll actually be curious how Pokemon Company handles showing this one off, since they usually like to do their own presentation before e3 BUT they have shown stuff at e3 before too. I assume we will be getting something before e3 just because they have a lot of random stuff to show that really isn't big enough to put in Nintendo's e3 presentation (like, ahem, maybe finally showing the god damn Switch Detective Pikachu?????? I swear I get my hopes up every Pokemon presentation or Nintendo Direct and I'm always let down T_T I still don't even know if that includes a port of the 3DS game or not!).

I could see Arceus being a big enough game to save for the big show, but then they're also putting it in a weird January release which is odd for a big game like that. Either way, I wanna see some stuff soon so they better show it :P

Edit: Random side note/tangent that has always bothered me (because I am weird). So in Red & Blue (Green), Oak invents the Pokedex to document all "150" Pokemon species in the world. Then the games sort of half retcon themselves and start saying, well there weren't just 150 (151) in the whole world but each region has its own unique pokemon. That's all fine, but then they do weird things like this game where you've got a pokedex before Oak and you have new pokemon like Rowlet suddenly having existed in Sinnoh way in the past but not in the future? I dunno, the whole thing just bothers me :P I know the actual answer is "it's just a game" but I can't help but be annoyed by the inconsistencies :P But then I guess Ash has been 10 years old for the last 25 years so maybe nothing will ever make sense :P

(note, I would actually be happy if the game acknowledged this stuff somehow, like the pokedex isn't really a pokedex and someone smuggled Rowlet in from Hawaii :P)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i just used a DNS server thing to get all the event itens on my legit Platinum cart and then caught Arceus.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png