As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

1868788899092»

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Coupon code is out! Fire up your game, open the LOTRO Store, and enter LOTROFREEQUESTS from now until August 31st to claim:

Quest Pack: Central Gondor
    Quest Pack: East Gondor
    Quest Pack: West Gondor
    Quest Pack: Wildermore
    Quest Pack: Angmar
    Quest Pack: Enedwaith
    Quest Pack: Eregion
    Quest Pack: Evendim
    Quest Pack: Forochel
    Quest Pack: Eriador Bundle
    Quest Pack: Misty Mountains
    Quest Pack: North Downs
    Quest Pack: Trollshaws
    Quest Pack: Lothlorien
    Quest Pack: Great River
    Quest Pack: Old Anórien
    Region Pack: Far Anórien
    Quest Pack: March of the King
    Quest Pack: Battle of the Black Gate
    Quest Pack: Legacy of the Necromancer
    Quest Pack: Where Dragons Dwell
    Quest Pack: The Vales of Anduin
    Quest Pack: Mists of Wilderland

for nothing but a few seconds of typing. Also, the following expansion quest packs:

Expansion Quests: Mines of Moria
    Expansion Quests: Siege of Mirkwood
    Expansion Quests: Rise of Isengard
    Expansion Quests: Riders of Rohan
    Expansion Quests: Helm's Deep
    Instance Cluster: Rise of Isengard
    Instance Cluster: Riders of Rohan

are available for 99 LOTRO points each. These are the quests and the instances from these expansions only; you won't get any of the extras that come in the pack normally unless you buy them.

That's just a tad over $7 in points for all that, and there's a lot of stuff in all those. You can even link your Steam account and pay for points with Steam credit, or you could always grind for them, I think. But still, $7's what, usually lunch? Maybe a good-size burger, fries and a drink? Half a pizza, at best? It's a really, really good deal!

Note this still means the expansions of Mordor and Minas Morgul are still full-price, though.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Damn, I'm mad that I missed this. I just started so I guess there's plenty for a new free player, but that seemed like a good deal. Anything else like that going on or do they ever do something similar?

Steam: offday
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I became super nostalgic and installed this again. I doubt I'll play much at all, and all I've done is look at my character list. But man, just seeing my old characters again. The feels...

Also, it is hilarious that my lifer membership has continued to collect coins. I doubt there is enough stuff in the store to spend them all, haha.

I imagine it'll be like STO where I log on for a week and retire again.

Cobell on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Cobell wrote: »
    I became super nostalgic and installed this again. I doubt I'll play much at all, and all I've done is look at my character list. But man, just seeing my old characters again. The feels...

Also, it is hilarious that my lifer membership has continued to collect coins. I doubt there is enough stuff in the store to spend them all, haha.

I imagine it'll be like STO where I log on for a week and retire again.

I'm in the same boat, I have had a lifetime sub since it launched, and I have dutifully bought every expansion with my free coin allotment when it transitions from cash only to coin-accessible.

Which means I have logged in once every 1-2 years, looked at my halfling burglar Bandaband, fucked about in the Shire, then logged out.

I loved the hell out of this game and wish I could have that feeling again.

And this was nowhere near my first MMO (Neverwinter Nights on AOL takes that crown, followed by Twinion, Quest and Ultima Online)... it just felt the most alive to me, and it was the first one to have such a strong narrative with mainline story quests.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I also had a burglar as my main :)

The feels man, the feels. I did hear that there is another LoTR mmo in the works somewhere.

Edit: And now that I googled it, I read that LOTRO will be getting a visual update and some new content to capitalize on Amazon having a LoTR tv series coming out.

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    A LOTRO engine update would be really cool but I can't imagine it actually makes financial sense.

What is this I don't even.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Oh the days of yelling at everything.

I loved playing my captain so damn much and do get nostalgic for the game.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Captain + Minstrel = Constant shout off.

What is this I don't even.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Captain + Minstrel = Constant shout off.

Yeah we had a lot of fun running around screaming shit to death.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    In a move aimed at increasing efficiency, Amazon is cancelling their LOTR MMO, so this game may yet live

YL9WnCY.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    In a move aimed at increasing efficiency, Amazon is cancelling their LOTR MMO, so this game may yet live

Huh.

I also just recently reinstalled it and did my ritual of buying all the things with my lifetime sub points that have accrued since the last time. It is still fairly pretty, even after all this time, and it is the most complete visual recreation of middle earth out there, well surpassing what the movies ever did in terms of breadth of locations and characters.

I think, instead of making a new one, they could look to do a visual overhaul of the current one instead? Bring the engine up to DX12, get some ray tracing options in there - them just improving the lighting and shadows would do wonders to bring this game up to a more modern look, and it is packed with over a decade of good content. Amazon could buy SSG with their couch change and do something with it if they wanted to.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Huh.

I also just recently reinstalled it and did my ritual of buying all the things with my lifetime sub points that have accrued since the last time. It is still fairly pretty, even after all this time, and it is the most complete visual recreation of middle earth out there, well surpassing what the movies ever did in terms of breadth of locations and characters.

I think, instead of making a new one, they could look to do a visual overhaul of the current one instead? Bring the engine up to DX12, get some ray tracing options in there - them just improving the lighting and shadows would do wonders to bring this game up to a more modern look, and it is packed with over a decade of good content. Amazon could buy SSG with their couch change and do something with it if they wanted to.

Upgrade the character models and rigging for one. D: I think a lot of the older content could do with another overhaul as well. There's some relics wedged in there from aeons ago and it'd turn away new/returning players. I'm also not sure how well the story holds up after seeing what games like FFXIV, TESO and SWTOR have done with the medium. I stopped playing in 2013 after RoR for other games, and haven't been back online since.

It also didn't help that my raid group had pretty much fallen apart.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Huh.

I think this is already happening actually?

https://www.pcgamer.com/lord-of-the-rings-online-will-get-a-visual-overhaul-to-capitalise-on-amazons-upcoming-tv-series/

And now with amazon's MMO no longer happening, hopefully they'll give the old game even more love.

Steam: offday
  • KassKass Registered User regular
    I will say I miss this game and TBS sometimes. There's just something special about running around the shire delivering pies to fat hobbits. T'would be groovy to see this game get a graphical update/overhaul.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Ah man, the shire is just about my favorite zone in any MMO. If this were on a console I'd resub in an instant, I just don't do PC gaming anymore.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I don't think I ever posted about this in here, but I had my lifetime account - which I've had since day 1 of release - stolen in Feb.
    I tried to login as soon as I got the "your account info has been updated as requested" email, but they had already changed my email and passwords at that point.
    I put in a ticket the same day, heard back after a week asking for confirmation info, and then I did not hear back again (despite MANY follow-up emails) until last week. Nearly FIVE months. All to say "the info you provided is not the info on the account." Yea, noooo crap...they changed that info.
    So I emailed them all the order confirmations, registration keys, contact info, char names and server transfer confirmations, etc that I have EVER had. I fully expect, when I hear back in 5 more months, for them to again say my info is incorrect.

Their customer service has ruined any desire I have to ever play again, but at this point it's the principle of the matter.

Moral of my post is: don't let your account get stolen! =p

Remember last year when Standing Stone came out and said "hey, this year sucks, here's a crapload of content for free and then a lot of really cheap expansion stuff?"

This year may not suck as much, but that's apparently not stopping them from doing it again!

Log into your account and enter the code LOTROQUESTS2021 in the store to access the following Quest Packs for free:
    • Quest Pack: Central Gondor
    • Quest Pack: East Gondor
    • Quest Pack: West Gondor
    • Quest Pack: Wildermore
    • Quest Pack: Angmar
    • Quest Pack: Enedwaith
    • Quest Pack: Eregion
    • Quest Pack: Evendim
    • Quest Pack: Forochel
    • Quest Pack: Eriador Bundle
    • Quest Pack: Misty Mountains
    • Quest Pack: North Downs
    • Quest Pack: Trollshaws
    • Quest Pack: Lothlorien
    • Quest Pack: Great River
    • Quest Pack: Old Anórien
    • Region Pack: Far Anórien
    • Quest Pack: March of the King
    • Quest Pack: Battle of the Black Gate
    • Quest Pack: Legacy of the Necromancer
    • Quest Pack: Where Dragons Dwell
    • Quest Pack: The Vales of Anduin
    • Quest Pack: Mists of Wilderland
    • Quest Pack: The Wildwood
    • The Further Adventures of Bilbo Baggins
    • Quest Pack: The Blood of Azog

That includes everything in the previous code, and also gives you the three packs released since the last one!

Also, the following expansions are on sale for 99 LOTRO points each:
    • Expansion Quests: Mines of Moria
    • Expansion Quests: Siege of Mirkwood
    • Expansion Quests: Rise of Isengard
    • Expansion Quests: Riders of Rohan
    • Expansion Quests: Helm's Deep
    • Instance Cluster: Rise of Isengard
    • Instance Cluster: Riders of Rohan
    • Expansion Quests: Mordor

That comes out to 792 LOTRO points- still pretty damned cheap! (Granted, though, this is just access to the quests- you still have to buy things like new races, new classes, etc. seperately.) But if you're looking for a reason to give this game a try, this is a damned good time!

The code is good until November 30th, 2021, so grab it even if you don't have time now!

steam_sig.png
    To clarify:

That's every quest pack and expansion they've put out except for War of the Three Peaks (the most-recent one for about another six weeks until Fate of Gundabad drops on Nov. 10th).

steam_sig.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Thanks Jayson. That's a lot of content. I've forwarded it to my partner who recently tried to play LOTRO. I thought it was funny that the game still starts with the original SoA opening cinematic in all it's cheap 00s glory.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I downloaded and redeemed the code as well as Mirkwood and Isenguard.

Not sure if I'll get around to playing all that... but I could now.

Feldorn wrote: »
    I downloaded and redeemed the code as well as Mirkwood and Isenguard.

Not sure if I'll get around to playing all that... but I could now.

At this point, even if you don’t get to playing it for a while, you may as well grab enough in points to cover all the offers. It beats having to pay some $20 - $30 for each of the ones you don’t have after the end of November!

steam_sig.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I hit the nostalgia bug. Logged into treebeard for the og leveling experience. Im having a ball. And the game still looks really good on modern systems at max.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Decided to spin this up since the 15th anniversary celebration is going on. Had to make a new character since mine was on an old server that closed and they don't do character transfers from closed to open servers for some reason.

I forgot how much I really, really like this game. The art, the music, the small details, I'm just a huge fan.

JtgVX0H.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So I know not many people post in here anymore so I figure not many people play but just in case I'm crossposting from the SE++ videogame thread:

Anyone playing LOTRO on the Arkenstone server:

Depressperado spooled up a kinship last night if y'all are interested in joining! It's brand new so right now it mostly just offers kin chat, but later we'll be able to send each other mail at a discount and eventually get a kinship home (if we want).

Just message me (Adelobad) or Depressperado (Bodungo) if y'all want an invite!

JtgVX0H.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Oh hey, I can buy the new(?) expansion with points, alongside the brawler class. Nice. Has anyone tried Brawler out?

I've never gotten very far in this game, but I always come back to try every few years. Warden, Beorning, Lore-Master, Rune-Keeper... I love the class fantasy of each of them. The legendary system always sounded neat, too, but, I hear they redid it? And might have messed it up?

Two new races... More different Elves and More different Dwarves? Guessing they're just slightly different passives?

Anyone still playing? Arkenstone, eh, @Darmak? Checking that server out, it's where my highest level character (a 37 Dwarf Champion, apparently) was created, heh. Don't think I'd ever touch him tho, since he was created on retail day and I haven't touched him since, haha. Back then I was antisocial as heck, so, well, yeah, that never worked out for me in MMOs, heh.

KiTA on