As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ahsoka Tano thread [Star Wars]

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Clone Rambo gets on my nerves. He kills droids with a knife. I mean, c'mon that's dumb even for a show with laser sling shots, laser bows, and light saber helicopters. His super special mutation is tracking or something and knife-killing droids isn't even helped by that. Why can't he just be the Bad Batch's version of Rex? Special tracking powers, really good leader and strategist, shoots a blaster! :|

Did you catch the knife gun in the trailer?

I did not. Is it a gun that shoots knives? Because that would be a little bit better.

It is, in fact, a gun that shoots knives.
    Space knives.
    xavt2fumm1iz.jpg
    r4qnyb8ylz9e.jpg
    bdeoft1giojf.jpg

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Is the laser bow better or worse than Ezra's laser Slingshot that he started the show with? :P
    I'm going to say it's better than the slingshot.
    But, Ezra ditched the slingshot pretty quickly in favor of his blaster-saber and then the classic light saber.

Ditching the stun-saber was dumb, that thing was awesome. And the fact that it was a lightsaber with a non-lethal feature made it the most Jedi lightsaber ever built.

• HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Clone Rambo gets on my nerves. He kills droids with a knife. I mean, c'mon that's dumb even for a show with laser sling shots, laser bows, and light saber helicopters. His super special mutation is tracking or something and knife-killing droids isn't even helped by that. Why can't he just be the Bad Batch's version of Rex? Special tracking powers, really good leader and strategist, shoots a blaster! :|

I did not. Is it a gun that shoots knives? Because that would be a little bit better.

Space knives.

*snip*

To rain on this parade a bit, I'm pretty sure that's sniper-guy shooting Rambo-guy's knife to redirect it.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Is the laser bow better or worse than Ezra's laser Slingshot that he started the show with? :P
    But, Ezra ditched the slingshot pretty quickly in favor of his blaster-saber and then the classic light saber.

Ditching the stun-saber was dumb, that thing was awesome. And the fact that it was a lightsaber with a non-lethal feature made it the most Jedi lightsaber ever built.

Rebels Spoilers:
    It was less ditching and more Vadering, to be fair. And Ezra going full traditional lightsaber also coincided with his darker turn.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    so did i see that right (character spoiler maybe)
    Fennec Shand is the same character that is in Mando? So somehow a bridge between bad batch and the mandalorian?

Hellbore wrote: »

Space knives.

*snip*

To rain on this parade a bit, I'm pretty sure that's sniper-guy shooting Rambo-guy's knife to redirect it.

So, he's using his gun to shoot a knife?
    I think it still counts.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Rebels Spoilers:
    It was less ditching and more Vadering, to be fair. And Ezra going full traditional lightsaber also coincided with his darker turn.

Then you rebuild that thing
    and pray for the epic, epic day where you get to shoot Vader in the ass with your stun-saber.

I mean, you've already beaten the odds by just not dying when he shows up, may as well try to achieve demigod status in Valhalla to boot.

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Watching robots/droids get taken down in sci fi makes me think that a real combat robot should definitely have a superfluous head on top on a gimbal made of solid metal of some kind, and contain absolutely nothing critical in it. Just good ol' orca eye spots.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Watching robots/droids get taken down in sci fi makes me think that a real combat robot should definitely have a superfluous head on top on a gimbal made of solid metal of some kind, and contain absolutely nothing critical in it. Just good ol' orca eye spots.

I cannot recommend reading the Murderbot Chronicles series enough. Combat robots in that series definitely don't have their important functions in their heads.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »

Destiny actually does this with the Vex. Shooting off their heads make them more annoyed. Their real weakpoint is in their sternum.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Speculation for Bad Batch
    We’ll get some backstory on Grogu, like how he got out of the temple.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Well, they finally did it. In the latest Darth Vader comic they:
    Showed Palps and Vader on Exegol building the fleet, getting the Kyber Crystals, and working on cloning. So no more complaining about this magic fleet right? Right?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    So the Emperor was working on plans to
    burn down the Empire, or at least select planets, if he died; while also working on a fleet to reconquer the galaxy if he died.

I'm just going to hold out for the Robot Chicken ST episode.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    daveNYC wrote: »
    So the Emperor was working on plans to
    burn down the Empire, or at least select planets, if he died; while also working on a fleet to reconquer the galaxy if he died.

I'm just going to hold out for the Robot Chicken ST episode.
    It's much easier to reconquer the galaxy if there's less galaxy to conquer

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Showed Palps and Vader on Exegol building the fleet, getting the Kyber Crystals, and working on cloning. So no more complaining about this magic fleet right? Right?

ThatJustRaisesFurtherQuestions.gif
    DID VADER THINK THAT HE HAD SOMEHOW KILLED PALPATINE PERMANENTLY?

edited April 2021
    Shadowen wrote: »

ThatJustRaisesFurtherQuestions.gif
    DID VADER THINK THAT HE HAD SOMEHOW KILLED PALPATINE PERMANENTLY?

And why the fuck wouldn't he
    tell Luke about the HUGELY FUCKING IMPORTANT secret planet base building a huge war fleet and also holding clone Palpatines?

At least it was possible to recondition the PT to not be a totally wasted chunk of time for this series. Everything even touching the ST seems to have a need to be a big turd of awful.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    also, if you have a fleet of Death Star Destroyers, why bother with a second Death Star?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's foolish to try an salvage Rise of Skywalker. They fucked that chicken so thoroughly it's been reduced to feather dust. There is nothing to save.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Unfortunately, some of the people currently working on the IP have apparently been handed a roll of duct tape (and another roll of condoms) and pointed at the coop, so...

(I imagine some poor fan thinking, "I always wanted to be part of Star Wars, but not like this... not like this.")

Commander Zoom on
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

No, this is still stupid

uH3IcEi.png
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    also, if you have a fleet of Death Star Destroyers, why bother with a second Death Star?

The Emperor having a fleet of droid ships in his back pocket for contingencies would have been an easier sell to audiences than the even secreter Final Order.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

No, this is still stupid

Explaining how the dumb things came to happen doesn't change that they were dumb. Rise of Skywalker isn't a problem that can be fixed with in-universe storytelling.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I just find it surreal that there apparently was a "story group" but that none of these giant red flags were ever raised. It sounds like they were used more as a way to post hoc rationalize any writing decisions rather than point out major flaws in the writing when placed in the context of the pre-existing universe.

Like, most reasonable people agree that you can't make everything perfectly fit canonically. But holy fuck just randomly building a giant fleet out of nowhere raises so many giant red flags it reminds me of my ex.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    The main crop on Exogol appeared to be lightning bolts. I was more concerned with the millions of mouths buried under the planet's surface with nothing to eat but raging storms. Nobody is so loyal that they will sit under a pile of rocks for 30 years without a paycheck.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The main crop on Exogol appeared to be lightning bolts. I was more concerned with the millions of mouths buried under the planet's surface with nothing to eat but raging storms. Nobody is so loyal that they will sit under a pile of rocks for 30 years without a paycheck.

Sitting under a pile of rocks for 30 years to own the libs Republic? Sadly, I can believe it.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I think the Story Group just didn't have the pull they needed to reign in the movies. Which, makes some sense - they have pull / influence over the "lesser" licenses but movies drive everything else. But if you are going to set up a group of super knowledgeable people about Star Wars and claim they will keep things in check / maintain canon / etc (basically, not let things end up like the old EU) and then not give them any influence over the movies you are kind of repeating the same mistakes.

Also, everything about Exogol can be explained by clones. Where did the crew come from? Clones. What did the crew eat? Cloned food. Where did they get the energy to make clones? Lightning. Raw supplies? Hey, I'm going to need you to get way off my back about Palpatine's plan....

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Sitting under a pile of rocks for 30 years to own the libs Republic? Sadly, I can believe it.

That's funny, but the people you are referencing think they've done their duty by coming out to vote every 4 years on 1 day. You can't get them to wear a mask to buy milk at a Walmart. They won't give up their comfort and freedom, not for 30 minutes, let alone 30 years.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    You know, while TRoS was burning poop garbage from a butt dumpster, I think it's unfair to give credit to Filoni for "fixing" the prequels with TV stuff when, if you actually watch those movies, they're most charitably burning garbage from a dumpster, and all the TV shows do is provide an alternate universe where Anakin is a charismatic leader instead of a whiny dipshit creeper and Darth Maul is a fully realized character instead of a one-and-done murderspasm.

Like, we all love the finale of Clone Wars, but, like, Revenge of the Sith is pretty explicitly Anakin and Dooku's second meeting, instead of the cat-and-mouse stuff they did for years in the cartoon, so those events probably did not happen the same way in the Clone Wars cartoon (offscreen) as they did in the live-action drivel.

So I say, shit, I trust Dave. He can't make TRoS any better, but he can maybe allow me to enjoy the overall framework of the story better.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Wait so in trying to explain a huge glaring plot hole they instead just undermined Vader’s redemption arc.

I just find it surreal that there apparently was a "story group" but that none of these giant red flags were ever raised. It sounds like they were used more as a way to post hoc rationalize any writing decisions rather than point out major flaws in the writing when placed in the context of the pre-existing universe.

Like, most reasonable people agree that you can't make everything perfectly fit canonically. But holy fuck just randomly building a giant fleet out of nowhere raises so many giant red flags it reminds me of my ex.

It seems like the story group can say whatever it wants but the people making the movies and even more so the execs controlling the property don't have to listen to them at all.

You know, while TRoS was burning poop garbage from a butt dumpster, I think it's unfair to give credit to Filoni for "fixing" the prequels with TV stuff when, if you actually watch those movies, they're most charitably burning garbage from a dumpster, and all the TV shows do is provide an alternate universe where Anakin is a charismatic leader instead of a whiny dipshit creeper and Darth Maul is a fully realized character instead of a one-and-done murderspasm.

Like, we all love the finale of Clone Wars, but, like, Revenge of the Sith is pretty explicitly Anakin and Dooku's second meeting, instead of the cat-and-mouse stuff they did for years in the cartoon, so those events probably did not happen the same way in the Clone Wars cartoon (offscreen) as they did in the live-action drivel.

So I say, shit, I trust Dave. He can't make TRoS any better, but he can maybe allow me to enjoy the overall framework of the story better.

Having almost finished watching The Clone Wars cartoon, Filoni isn't fixing the prequels at all and I don't see how anyone could think that. In fact, I'd say the series itself is continually hampered by the existence of the prequels since they prevent the series from having almost any real meaningful development. It's like 6 seasons of blue balls because the trigger was already pulled in another medium and in a stupid way to boot.

All TCW really does is demonstrate that with roughly the same setting as episodes 2 and 3 you could tell more interesting stories and write the characters better. Which Lucas didn't do.

shryke wrote: »
    Having almost finished watching The Clone Wars cartoon, Filoni isn't fixing the prequels at all and I don't see how anyone could think that. In fact, I'd say the series itself is continually hampered by the existence of the prequels since they prevent the series from having almost any real meaningful development. It's like 6 seasons of blue balls because the trigger was already pulled in another medium and in a stupid way to boot.

All TCW really does is demonstrate that with roughly the same setting as episodes 2 and 3 you could tell more interesting stories and write the characters better. Which Lucas didn't do.

It was a popular sentiment for awhile (I myself espoused it) that TCW retroactively made the prequel trilogy better because everyone was better written and the stories mostly made sense.

But, like, nobody is putting Attack of the Clones Anakin in charge of the training of a padawan, and the fact that Ahsoka exists completely fucks Revenge of the Sith's narrative. Clone Wars Anakin would never murder a temple full of children even with all of his earned Dark Side points. He'd see Ahsoka's face in every one of them.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I don't think the movies are better per se, I think the setting is actually fair game for good ideas. The underlying ideas behind the prequels are good, the prequels themselves are poorly executed. Whereas the sequel trilogy has the opposite problem, and so they end up seeming worse in the long term.

Fencingsax on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular

It was a popular sentiment for awhile (I myself espoused it) that TCW retroactively made the prequel trilogy better because everyone was better written and the stories mostly made sense.

But, like, nobody is putting Attack of the Clones Anakin in charge of the training of a padawan, and the fact that Ahsoka exists completely fucks Revenge of the Sith's narrative. Clone Wars Anakin would never murder a temple full of children even with all of his earned Dark Side points. He'd see Ahsoka's face in every one of them.

That scene is fully nonsensical even without him having a padawan, so him having one is like tossing a pebble into a river of bullshit when it comes to making it "more" unbelievable.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    It's foolish to try an salvage Rise of Skywalker. They fucked that chicken so thoroughly it's been reduced to feather dust. There is nothing to save.

It's a mystery why Lucas Arts never made a third film after The Last Jedi.

Opty wrote: »

That scene is fully nonsensical even without him having a padawan, so him having one is like tossing a pebble into a river of bullshit when it comes to making it "more" unbelievable.

Movies Anakin was an entitled prick. While it was unbelievable, I never got the impression that he wasn't capable of it; he already slaughtered a Tuskan village entirely. Clone Wars really developed his hatred of slavers, making that action more believable but the temple massacre less likely.

It's April 30th (here), which means Star Wars day is just a few days away.
    Lot's of good sales on classic Star Wars stuff.

Here's GOG to bloat your backlog with cheap Star Wars games.
    https://www.gog.com/partner/star_wars?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=20210430_nl_Weekend_Sale_EN&utm_term=EN&track_click=1&link_id=header_image

edited May 2021
    Opty wrote: »

Movies Anakin was an entitled prick. While it was unbelievable, I never got the impression that he wasn't capable of it; he already slaughtered a Tuskan village entirely. Clone Wars really developed his hatred of slavers, making that action more believable but the temple massacre less likely.

Yeah, it will never be convincing that Anakin, hoping to get power to save an innocent, would walk into a room full of totally innocent kids, and we're talking something like 7-year-olds, and go "yeah, they all need to die, totally justified". There was a direct personal connection to the Sand People, both in living on Tatooine and knowing about their brutality and them kidnapping his mother. The worst the kids would do to him is remind him of how the Jedi took him from his mother and left her to die on Tatooine, he would view them as much victims of the Jedi as himself.

The clones definitely should've been the ones to kill the kids after Anakin makes it extremely clear to Palpatine that the kids are to be freed. Palpatine obviously agrees, then turns around to order the clones to kill the kids. Anakin arrives to witness the aftermath and lashes out, wiping out the clones that do the killing. Then he blames some unknown Jedi for doing it, both showing the thread of decency he never totally loses and his ongoing fall to the Dark Side by killing the clones out of rage. It would even show the start of the decades-long situation of Anakin and Palpatine constantly lying to one another to push the line and see what they can pull over on the other guy without revealing their hand outright.

A vastly better situation than "yeah, Anakin just suddenly murders kids now because of... reasons?"

Ninja Snarl P on
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Yeah the Younglings getting rounded up and killed in some sort of false flag would work as well since you can use it to solidify palapatines manipulation bonafides or show that Anakin's willfully blind due to committing himself to his cause

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
This discussion has been closed.