As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    All we've been able to accomplish with our kids is getting them to not yell "help help" when they're playing outside and to curtail the really bloodcurdling shrieks, really just anything that could legitimately alarm a neighbor into calling someone. I have had to tone down my own "dude be quiet out there" tendencies because, as my wife has rightly pointed out, they are children and they should be loud when they're playing if they want because they're playing for heaven's sake and that's what playing is sometimes.

Uh polite disagree: we live in an apartment and my partner has been very sick. No screaming and banging toys on the floor in our house.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    :so_raven:
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Aldo wrote: »
    All we've been able to accomplish with our kids is getting them to not yell "help help" when they're playing outside and to curtail the really bloodcurdling shrieks, really just anything that could legitimately alarm a neighbor into calling someone. I have had to tone down my own "dude be quiet out there" tendencies because, as my wife has rightly pointed out, they are children and they should be loud when they're playing if they want because they're playing for heaven's sake and that's what playing is sometimes.

Uh polite disagree: we live in an apartment and my partner has been very sick. No screaming and banging toys on the floor in our house.

We worry about our lad being noisy in the apartment and disturbing the neighbours. If he wants to ytell his head off in the park though? Fair.

ETA: TBF at 6 months old he is going to yell whenever he wants, not much we can do, so maybe I am more laissez-fairs than those with older kids.

CroakerBC on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

I don't know if that's real or fake but after having kids I one hundred percent believe it.

Ripley got a GI bug that's been around daycare and spent all day at home vomiting and diarrhea yesterday. Today she looks pretty good. Then around 0900 I start feeling a little nauseated and BOOM now I'm puking my brains out.

Posting to these fine forums tucked into bed with my little plastic bucket nearby in a cold sweat.

Pray for my wife.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular

Sorry I missed the key work "outside," being noisy AF when they're playing outside happens sometimes. There's completely different rules inside, always have been.

Sorry I missed the key work "outside," being noisy AF when they're playing outside happens sometimes. There's completely different rules inside, always have been.

All right yeah. He can be a loud little guy in the playgrounds and if he just wants to yell we'll get down to the beach and he can screech at waves till he's had his fill.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    So I'm looking to buy a back carrier similar to this:

2j240dus5tdu.jpeg

I want it so we can go hiking with my son where a pram wouldn't be suitable. We're off to the Welsh coast this summer and I want to walk along the cliffs there.

Anyone else got one? Any recommendations?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    We don't have one but I always her good things about Deuter.

Kids can be so bad at remembering things, man. He remembers all the ways to operate the pc or tablet, but everything else I can repeat daily and he still acts like it is the first time anyone told him.

honovere wrote: »
    We don't have one but I always her good things about Deuter.

Deuter seems to be the king of these. We had a Phil and Ted's brand one that was ok, but didn't support the kid's head as much as I'd have liked

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    We have a secondhand Deuter I bought last year and it works great

The boy is currently 2.5 years old and roughly 35lbs and it's still comfortable (I just used it last week)

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It's worth borrowing a backpack to see how you go with it. I foolishly bought one and found I can't wear it for more than a few minutes without incredible backpain. I've tried a few other brands since and they're no better

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    I just looked and they don't even sell the model we used to have anymore (Kiddy Adventure Pack) so excuse me as I complete my transformation into dust and blow away...

edited April 2021
    A friend of a friend's five year old was given a writing task by school to write an alternate ending for the Thee Little Pigs.

In his version the Avengers turned up and killed everyone.

Can't really see it being part of the MCU....

SharpyVII on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Lol did I tell you all about the bedtime story of The Three Little Pigs and Their House Insurance?

Because that's a thing that happened here a few months back.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Oof. My son's school is suggesting we get his tested for ADHD, which in theory is a very great idea. He has a lot of symptoms! If he does have ADHD, a diagnosis could help us help him better. And my daughter also seems to be having issues, but may be masking them better, so it would be nice to get her tested at some point, too.
    However, everything is shut down for the pandemic, and nobody is taking any new patients. I asked the person at the school for help and information and the responses was basically "lol, I have all my notes in my office. which I don't go to anymore. I've heard from other parents it's hard finding anybody though roflmao" (She may not have lol'd or rofl'd)
    Any place I've emailed for help gives me "we aren't accepting new patients" "We have a very long wait-list, don't take you insurance and are $$" "we shut down for the pandemic and have a long wait-list" "We're not doing that but (person I've already emailed and not heard back from) might".
    And now tomorrow I get to ... oof. Call people. Apparently, my insurance is terrible for mental health, and nobody takes it. So I'm trying to figure out what I can do out-of-pocket.
    Apparently, if I disagreed with my son's IEP, I could get the school to pay for something. But his actual IEP services would not change, and this would just "help him", which I guess isn't good enough.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Does your employer have an EAP type program? A lot of times they'll do the legwork to find a doctor that will take you.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Has anyone experienced their 3yo suddenly developing a Southern accent?

Suddenly There is Theyurr and Snack is Snayuck

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• amethystoakamethystoak Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

My 3 year old hasn't developed a southern accent, but she'll sometimes purposefully pronounce things as if she can't pronounce the letter "r." And she'll do it in a silly voice.

amethystoak on
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    My 3yo has been having fun adding extra syllables to words. E.g. “I wa-ant to fl-lush the pa-aw-tee”

DaMoonRulz wrote: »

My younger daughter went through a pretty serious Southern Belle phase, we have no idea where it came from but it was pretty hilarious. I figure it must have something to do with the way speech develops?

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Does your employer have an EAP type program? A lot of times they'll do the legwork to find a doctor that will take you.

Every eap program I've ever seen is just links to outdated resources. I just checked my work's, and it's not even that. It's just links to random videos. I could try digging a little deeper into their website, but I'm not optimistic.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Toby was trying to put on a second pair of pants over his current pair of pants and I came over and asked him "how are you going to put on another pair of pants over the first pair of pants?"

Now, he's been talking a bit more than usual but not by much, so when he deadpan responded "Truu Dah Holes" as he was concentrating on putting said second pair of pants on, I lost it. :lol:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    How is it that I can be simultaneously annoyed that my niece is being all hyperactive and silly in interrupting my weekly chat with my beau, and then pleased and boosted by his reactions to her. Dude is good with kids.

(I wasn't mad at her, she craves connection, and her dad just left the country for several months, but it's also: trying to have a conversation about dumb shit, kid, I don't need your wild energy making it loud. But my formless anxiety was eased by seeing them interact, so.)

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    How is it that I can be simultaneously annoyed that my niece is being all hyperactive and silly in interrupting my weekly chat with my beau, and then pleased and boosted by his reactions to her. Dude is good with kids.

(I wasn't mad at her, she craves connection, and her dad just left the country for several months, but it's also: trying to have a conversation about dumb shit, kid, I don't need your wild energy making it loud. But my formless anxiety was eased by seeing them interact, so.)

Simultaneously annoyed and pleased has pretty much been my whole aesthetic since becoming a parent, tbh.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    Ran in to this silly poem in Ni No Kuni II yesterday, written by a weapon smith. I think it shouldn't be gendered, but the main message rings true to me.
    "To those who seek a mother's strength,
    know this: There is no force more powerful
    there is no love more supreme...and there is
    no frustration more profound than that of a
    mother. One will, at times, feel overwhelmed.
    It is at such times that a spear is required.
    Take it, and throw it as hard as you can.
    Your frustration will dissipate, and only
    your motherly love will remain."

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's basically my experiences as well.

I'm so very proud of you but just.... Please, stop.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    nlg1ublga3xz.jpg

I tried to get Abigail into some Princess Leia hair buns. Not bad considering I was rushed and had no idea what I was doing. She loved them at least. I’ll look to improve for next Star Wars day.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    We live near a fire station, so we often hear the sirens as the engines drive out, and the 3yo loves to run to the window to see if they drive past us. On one such occasion:

*he hears a siren, he jumps up from the story we’re reading and looks out the window*
    Me: “What are you looking at?”

What he wanted to say: I’m looking to see if there’s an emergency!
    What he spoke: I’m wookin to see if there’s a-merdin-see!
    What my brain processes that I heard: I’m looking to see if there’s a murder scene!

When your kid starts talking semi-regularly and you find out how sassy they are:

*kid sees me folding clothes, says "OH!" and starts taking off his shirt*
    Wife: He wants that shirt, dad.
    Me: Okay, gimme a moment
    *shirt put on kid*
    Didn't we just put a new shirt on last night?
    *short pause from me, then me answering myself*
    Well, dad, you wear a new shirt every day.
    Kid, not missing a beat: Yeh dad.
    :lol:

I mean, he's got my number, apparently.

Made some changes to my son's bedtime routine. Nothing major, it's all stuff he was starting to do by himself but we've just helped him along a little.

He's just slept for 6 hours uninterrupted.

Think that's the most sleep I've had without him waking for about two years....

Only problem is that he wakes at like 6am, I think the clocks changing is still throwing him out of whack.

Still much better than it previously had been!

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ripley, the three year old, has just started calling me by my first name and it's fuuuuuuuckinggggg weeeeeeeeird

I asked her to call me Dad or Daddy and which of course only reinforces her to call me anything other than that

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    The kid has a super mild case of hand foot and mouth.

I on the other hand do not.

She is lucky she is an only child otherwise she would no longer be my favourite child right now.

Blake T on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Ripley, the three year old, has just started calling me by my first name and it's fuuuuuuuckinggggg weeeeeeeeird

I asked her to call me Dad or Daddy and which of course only reinforces her to call me anything other than that

My six year old is doing this now, but I think she started as a joke after we got mad and called her by her full name. Now it's Daddy Shadow Fire and Mommy Shadow Fire all day long.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Toby is a fan of Super Nintendo games, specifically watching them, and I recently beat Super Metroid so it's still in his head apparently because he was watching some videos of it today. As he's watching the end credits play, and the final tally for the person playing the game shows, he popped off with, "Oh-kee, Buh-bye, Nuh-nigh, So lon."
    Then he sat back on his heels for a few seconds for a think, then leaned forward again.

*click*

Computer: "The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace."
    *giant grin from Toby*

Me: Starting it over?
    Him: *vigorous head shake yes*

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    The kid has a super mild case of hand foot and mouth.

I on the other hand do not.

She is lucky she is an only child otherwise she would no longer be my favourite child right now.

Ugh, that sounds hellish. I used to get aphtae from reactions to certain foods and toothpaste. A mouthful of them plus the other stuff... :bro:

Well, the baby is seven months old and close to 20 lbs and when he’s asleep on me now it’s more like having a drunk hobbit passed out on top of you than a small snugly creature.

Also, my big guy turned five. Holy shit that went fast. fingers crossed for more of a resolution to the pandemic before he starts school in the fall..