As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Though keep in mind Hollow Knight is fairly hard. (I usually love Metroidvanias, but I bounced hard off Hollow Knight.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Damn, the budget for this Castlevania Season must be off the charts. Fights look fucking awesome now compared to Season 1.

KoopahTroopah on
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Hollow Knight is amazing and should be played by any fan of the genre. Best boss fights in the genre, amazing world to explore, great music, art style, and atmosphere, lots of secrets, good level design, cool story, slick controls, good character progression/equippable skill system. I never thought any Metroidvania game could supplant Super Metroid for me, which is basically a perfect game and has the added benefit of major nostalgia. But Hollow Knight became my new favorite in the genre and one of my favorite games of all time.

I'm super excited about the sequel, but also wary, because I have trouble imagining it equaling the original.

Kaputa on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    The thing to remember about Hollow Knight (that made it a lot better for me anyway) is that every hit counts. There is no running in swinging in Hollow Knight.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I bounced off Hollow Knight hard. Too punishing and an awful map system meant I got lost quite often and if I died, lost lots of progress. It was an exercise in frustration.

Which is weird, because many people loved the the game. It feels like it’s very divisive in its design and really comes down to player expectations.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I enjoy everything about Hollow Knight except how much skill it asks of the player, because I don't have any. :lol:

What's funny is the "Dark Souls" like demand on skill should be a complete nope for my wife, but she's cleared most of the game multiple times and I'm still back in the Royal Waterways. Meanwhile, she isn't the least bit interested in "Souls-like" games and I enjoy them, and I think that's because there's usually some way to cheese the difficulty or alternate ways of playing the game. With Hollow Knight, the only real way to fight is to get real close and hit things, which means I'm going to get hit as well. It's not even a question; any game where I need to get in close and hit things, especially without a stunlock effect, will see me trading hits most of the time.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    edited April 2021
    It is a challenging game, more so than most games in the genre. But if you're experienced in the Castlevania or Mega Man series I don't think it should prove impenetrable in terms of combat. Outside of some of the DLC content which is very hard.

I liked that the map system demanded a bit more of the player, for me it added to the sense of exploration and isolation. I can see how others might not dig it though. You do find an upgrade which gives the map tracking capability fairly early on.

Kaputa on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    The only things I didn't complete are the final Grim fight and the whatever it was called where you have to expert platform for like a half hour straight

edited April 2021
    Xaquin wrote: »
    The only things I didn't complete are the final Grim fight and the whatever it was called where you have to expert platform for like a half hour straight
    Yeah it was an odd choice to suddenly turn the game into Super Meat Boy out of nowhere. I enjoy those types of games, but it did feel a bit out of place in terms of playstyle and the sudden difficulty spike; I remember feeling frustrated and somewhat baffled.

Edit - but since the really brutal area is optional I don't consider it a major issue. I almost feel like it was the developers saying "this is the game we *could* have made."

Kaputa on
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Oh I forgot I also enjoyed a couple of the shantae games, despite being really simple. Haven't played the most recent though

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Seven Sirens was, in my opinion, a real good time.

It was short (I kinda blew through most of it in one looong session one Saturday), and there were some loading time issues between areas, but it was probably my favorite version of the Shantae gameplay that wasn't Pirate's Curse.

Y'see, I was alright with the transformation dances back in Risky's Revenge on the DS, but I really like Pirate's Curse, which (due to story reasons) ditched the magic dances in favor of Shantae getting pirate equipment. Mechanically, this meant that instead of having to stop to dance to change Shantae's moves, she gained new moves she could just do, Metroid-style. Which I thought flowed a lot nicer, and made you feel really strong by the end of the game, when you could speed dash through entire levels and triple jump over obstacles. But it was always gonna be just a one-game departure, since the dances were pretty much Shantae's signature power. Which I knew was gonna be the way of it, but it was annoying that my new favorite way to play the series couldn't last. Granted, Half-Genie Hero was better about the dance power, and included ways to speed up the process, and made the longer dances only required for very specific and rarely-used powers. It wasn't exactly what I wanted (though, I hear that the Risky Boots DLC uses all the Pirate's Curse skills), but it was better.

Seven Sirens, however, managed to thread the needle pretty much perfectly. It introduces a new kind of transformation, in the form of coins that give Shantae animal forms she's never seen before. These basically function as power-ups that don't require you to stop and dance, and feel a lot more like the Pirate's Curse style of play, while still keeping Shantae's whole magic transformation flavor. And it still does have dance-specific transformations, but they stick to super-powerful special skills that don't need to flow into normal platforming gameplay. It's a slick system that improves on the first two games with what the third game added to the series, and I really appreciate that they went there.

As for the progression. It's short, like I said (honestly, all the Shantae games can be finished in a day if you know what you're doing), but I very well enjoyed the game during that time. There's a lot of places to explore for secrets, and it has that oh-so-important thing where you keep getting teased with stuff just out of your reach, so that there's always new stuff to get when you find a new ability. And it's still a pretty funny game.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I would have cheerfully kept going in Hollow Knight if it didn't have the corpse retrieval system that makes it easy to lose ALL your money, actually put save areas next to tough boss fights, and skipped the map bullshit. It would still be challenging, but dear lord am I over artificial difficulty.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    It does ease off as you go through the game. There's an NPC you can unlock in the main town who'll teleport your corpse to you for a price (an item that's otherwise used by nobody else in the game), you get the ability to set a teleporter later on, and the number of things you actually want to spend money on is sharply finite, so losing money is a problem until it very suddenly is not.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    They should call them metrollowknivanias from now on.

If anyone hasn't tried it yet, Blasphemous is a very good example of the genre. Navigating spike pits can be frustrating, but it's got deceptively fast-paced combat with a lot of depth to the combo system, looks great, fun collectibles and awesome bosses. Also free DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr7CSYJQ76g

Also looking forwards to following the development of Crowsworn, which is Hollow Knight as balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmBIDcNzNwg

H9f4bVe.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Seriously, just look up a map when you play Hollow Knight and save the headache. It should have just done what every other Metroidvania game does, and let you self fill the map in while also having the map stations that will fill the entire thing in. There's little excuse for not having a record where you've been at least. You add a sprawling map, and then top it off with a Dark Souls corpse/currency thing, and it's just a chore trying to navigate around until you find the needle in a haystack that is the cartographer.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Hollow Knight is really just asking you to learn patterns for the most part. Almost all of the bosses* have pretty clear patterns and while you can expect a few deaths if you are learning the pattern you feel awesome when you beat them without much trouble. There is a real sense of accomplishment. The Mantis Lords in particular are such a joy to fight. (And that song. Great music in this game too.) Of course you always have the option of exploring more and coming back more powerful. In most cases this will let you skip learning the pattern and just brute force the boss to death.

You do have to get near things to kill them, but the spells make things a lot easier. Even the first spell, the fireball is absurdly powerful. On my first play-through I used all my soul to heal and its not the smartest choice. In green path for example there are some piles of leaves that get up and harass you with sword and shield. I lost many lives to these things. They still give me trouble in a fair fight. You can actually kill them without taking a hit if you hit them as they are standing up and then fireball them three times. The other spells are equally helpful, the down spell gives much needed invincibility and the up spell does more damage than anything in the game.

The game is amazingly well done. I really recommend playing it through. The story and characters are wonderful and the game is a joy to play. I actually played through it 4 times I think in spite of my steam backlog. My wife actually completed it too and the last platformer she played is probably Symphony of the night in the early 2000s. She even stuck it out and got the good ending.

*Moths suck.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

As an old ass parent (45) with two young kids (3 and 5.5), my game time is super limited these days. I prefer games to be more accessible and shorter in length to finish. A 4-8 hour game is perfect. I just don't have the time to deal with anything that's "souls" hard these days. I'm sure a 16-25 year old version of myself would love Hollow Knight/Souls types of games.

Basically, it's 100% a me thing and not any fault of the games themselves.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I tried playing through Hollow Knight and I really don't see what everyone loves about it. I'm sure I just didn't get to the part everyone loves. Nothing about it really clicked for me... Yes it was hard but I ended up making my way through several bosses until I just decided it wasn't for me.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Seriously, just look up a map when you play Hollow Knight and save the headache. It should have just done what every other Metroidvania game does, and let you self fill the map in while also having the map stations that will fill the entire thing in. There's little excuse for not having a record where you've been at least. You add a sprawling map, and then top it off with a Dark Souls corpse/currency thing, and it's just a chore trying to navigate around until you find the needle in a haystack that is the cartographer.

I loved Hollow Knight, but I enjoyed it significantly more once I was explicitly told to pay attention to the visual and audio clues the game gives but doesn't explain. The mapmaker can always be found because he leaves behind a trail of pages that gets more frequent the closer you get to him, and once you're within a screen or so you actively hear him humming to himself. There's almost always a set of signposts pointing you to the nearest save bench, and where there aren't there are ruins and remnants of where the signposts used to be, but the player needs to be sufficiently aware to recognize them as ruined signposts and puzzle out which direction it likely would've been pointing.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    urahonky wrote: »
    I tried playing through Hollow Knight and I really don't see what everyone loves about it. I'm sure I just didn't get to the part everyone loves. Nothing about it really clicked for me... Yes it was hard but I ended up making my way through several bosses until I just decided it wasn't for me.

Honestly there was no "part" for myself and those i've gotten to try it. It was everything from the beginning onwards so if you gave it a go and didn't like it, there's likely nothing that would've changed it. Which, of course, is totally fine.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Hollow Knight is for explorers. I feel like if you like Metroidvanias, that's at least part of your gameplay drivers. Hollow Knight is just heavier than ticking off map %.

I would have loved an option in Hollow Knight for an easy mode that just gave more save points, cranked down the difficulty, and a fully unlocked map ala standard metroidvania titles. From everything I've read, people enjoy the game and I would like to experience it myself. As it stands now, that would really only happen by watching some youtube videos.

I remember a similar argument happening for the Souls game (or something like that) and people getting offended by an easy mode option in a game. There was a lot of "get gud" comments in response. I've never understood why making something accessible as an option would ever be a bad thing.

Celeste was the perfect example of how to make a game hard, yet approachable by anyone. More designers should learn from Celeste.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I would have loved an option in Hollow Knight for an easy mode that just gave more save points, cranked down the difficulty, and a fully unlocked map ala standard metroidvania titles. From everything I've read, people enjoy the game and I would like to experience it myself. As it stands now, that would really only happen by watching some youtube videos.

I remember a similar argument happening for the Souls game (or something like that) and people getting offended by an easy mode option in a game. There was a lot of "get gud" comments in response. I've never understood why making something accessible as an option would ever be a bad thing.

Celeste was the perfect example of how to make a game hard, yet approachable by anyone. More designers should learn from Celeste.

I think I remember that specific thing. It was about Sekiro, and an article where someone used a cheat device to make the game easier and defended his choice. People got livid about that.

I side with the cheater on that debate. If you want to experience the story and aren’t up for the game’s difficulty, then it harms nobody to cheat in a single-player game. I wouldn’t do it myself, but I’ve avsolutely nothing against someone doing that.

Kaputa wrote: »
    It is a challenging game, more so than most games in the genre. But if you're experienced in the Castlevania or Mega Man series I don't think it should prove impenetrable in terms of combat. Outside of some of the DLC content which is very hard.

I liked that the map system demanded a bit more of the player, for me it added to the sense of exploration and isolation. I can see how others might not dig it though. You do find an upgrade which gives the map tracking capability fairly early on.

I mean, for those games I usually use distance attacks or long weapons that let me stand back a bit and still hit my target. The issue is I always seem to misjudge when it comes to getting close to an enemy, and it doesn't seem like I can mitigate the damage, it's always at least one mask of damage and if I have only 5 masks that's only 5 hits. I'm going to get hit more than that, always. Hell, I'm getting hit semi-constantly in my first Bloodstained playthrough but I can mitigate the damage through better gear and grinding. For Hollow Knight there's no way to grind past the skill level if every place is above it.

Like, at least with Souls games I can grind for souls if I'm stuck and level up, but there's not really any way to level up in Hollow Knight.
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Hollow Knight is really just asking you to learn patterns for the most part. Almost all of the bosses* have pretty clear patterns and while you can expect a few deaths if you are learning the pattern you feel awesome when you beat them without much trouble. There is a real sense of accomplishment. The Mantis Lords in particular are such a joy to fight. (And that song. Great music in this game too.) Of course you always have the option of exploring more and coming back more powerful. In most cases this will let you skip learning the pattern and just brute force the boss to death..

I've seen people say this but it's honestly rare for me to feel awesome after killing a souls boss; usually I feel relief and a sense of "fuck you" to the boss instead of accomplishment and pride. Different reactions, I guess, but a feeling of awesome bosses for me is also rare.

"All games should be accessible and if that means an easy mode then so be it" is the side I come down on. I don't remember harder games in earlier times with nostalgic goggles, and I'm not sure why. I also don't care to "test my might" or prove anything, I'm playing for the story and the gameplay mechanics to be fun, but not challenging.

I'm mainly just surprised that while I like games that technically are considered "challenging", my wife's favorite game is the one I enjoy but am going to take forever to beat because I have to be in the right mood to fail endlessly, and that's what seems to happen in Hollow Knight the further I get in. The more the game goes on, the more I die. I feel like it should be the reverse, but that's the way this one works, I guess.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Hmm I never played the Souls games, but you can definitely make yourself stronger by getting charms, masks, soul vessel segments and upgrading your nail and spells. I know what you mean about getting too close, there are two charms that extend the length of your nail and they are really really good. Not that there is an order but hitting some bosses early will put you in a world of pain. I went to a couple of bosses way too early and it was horrible.

If you give me specifics of where you are in the game I could probably offer more specific advice.

All this Hollow Knight talk is making me think I want to go after the forbidden achievement again.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I bounced off Hollow Knight hard. Too punishing and an awful map system meant I got lost quite often and if I died, lost lots of progress. It was an exercise in frustration.

Which is weird, because many people loved the the game. It feels like it’s very divisive in its design and really comes down to player expectations.

For me the issue with Hollow Knight is that the combat never felt right to me. And that's apparently fairly common: No matter what someone's experience with challenging games is, there's a large part of the playerbase that the combat just never clicked with.

That said, I'm looking forward to Silksong. I think Hollow Knight would have resonated better with me with just a few mechanical tweaks.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I feel like for a lot of players Hollow Knight was just a little too slow. You have complete control over your movement, but you don't have the speed to take advantage of it during the early game.

Honestly, after getting 75% of the way through La-Mulana like a decade ago, my pain tolerance for this sort of thing shot way up. Dark Souls still bugs me, but I've always preferred 2D games.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

For me the issue with Hollow Knight is that the combat never felt right to me. And that's apparently fairly common: No matter what someone's experience with challenging games is, there's a large part of the playerbase that the combat just never clicked with.

That said, I'm looking forward to Silksong. I think Hollow Knight would have resonated better with me with just a few mechanical tweaks.

The lack of a dodge roll always stuck out to me. It's a very bullet-hell sort of approach to combat where it's purely positioning based (at least, that's my memory of it, it's been a while). Also occasionally it switches from overall really good combat to P L A T F O R M I NG... which is not it's strength. I cheesed the fuck out of that late game area (You know the one), and would have enjoyed it so much more if it'd been more fight and a whole lot less platforming.

I never finished the true final boss and I've got basically zero desire to do so, even though it leaves the game unfinished for me - it just had stopped being fun by that point. There's a lot you can brute force in the game, but i'd hit my limit at that point.

Still, the suicide-screaming build i used to kill one boss was really funny. (There's a boss who goes into an ernage mode if you interupt his being polite at the start of a fight... and i turned that against him to just stand under him and cast the scream until he died)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891

The lack of a dodge roll always stuck out to me. It's a very bullet-hell sort of approach to combat where it's purely positioning based (at least, that's my memory of it, it's been a while). Also occasionally it switches from overall really good combat to P L A T F O R M I NG... which is not it's strength. I cheesed the fuck out of that late game area (You know the one), and would have enjoyed it so much more if it'd been more fight and a whole lot less platforming.

I never finished the true final boss and I've got basically zero desire to do so, even though it leaves the game unfinished for me - it just had stopped being fun by that point. There's a lot you can brute force in the game, but i'd hit my limit at that point.

Still, the suicide-screaming build i used to kill one boss was really funny. (There's a boss who goes into an ernage mode if you interupt his being polite at the start of a fight... and i turned that against him to just stand under him and cast the scream until he died)

That's honestly probably my problem. While pattern recognition isn't super bad for me, bullet hell is always a matter of me working my way into a corner where I get blasted into oblivion. I just cannot get down the trick of bullet hell-like avoiding of enemy bullets, unless I can get out of there entirely (i.e. in 3D games where one can potentially just completely move out of the path of all incoming projectiles, or block them with a shield.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I would have cheerfully kept going in Hollow Knight if it didn't have the corpse retrieval system that makes it easy to lose ALL your money, actually put save areas next to tough boss fights, and skipped the map bullshit. It would still be challenging, but dear lord am I over artificial difficulty.

This is what made me bounce off the game as well. I desperately wanted to like Hollow Knight coming off the back of Ori and the Will of the Wisps, which had a lot of discussion about the ways it cribbed elements from Hollow Knight, so I really wanted to see what the fuss was about. And there's still a lot to love, but the first 5 hours made such a poor impression on me that by the seventh my interest had dwindled. I really liked the dripfeed of visual worldbuilding and the overall tone and aesthetic, and what miniboss/boss fights i had come across were incredibly fun, but so much else about the game is so actively hostile to the player. Having to partake in a charm tax to even have a usable map kinda sucks. It would be less of a problem if the palette wasn't so monotonous, but I absolutely found myself flipped turned upside down and having a "what do I do? where the hell do I go" moment, multiple times.
    I absolutely hate having to spend anywhere between 5 to 10 minutes travelling from these super sparse checkpoints just to pick up all the currency I lost. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I died trying to retrieve my corpse in the Fungal Wastes (screaming in rage at the shitty bounce pads) and lost several thousand bugbucks and then finally reached the weapon smith in the City of Tears an hour later unable to actually purchase the weapon upgrade. I went back to it a few weeks later with some distance hoping to rekindle my interest in the game, but by then I was just going through the motions.

11 days to go until Castlevania on Netflix. The hype train has left the station!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The animation in the trailer, vs watching the past season of Invincible. Ay Carumba!

Nosf wrote: »
    The animation in the trailer, vs watching the past season of Invincible. Ay Carumba!

I’ve heard the animation complaint about Invincible but I don’t see the problem. Sure, Castlevania looks great but I don’t think Invincible looks awful or anything. Maybe it’s just me.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I think Invincible budgets its time and money extremely well but I think it's a noticeable level below the Big Netflix Money they seem to be shelling out for Castlevania. There are definitely scenes of equally impressive caliber but they're just further apart than Castlevania's, I think. There's probably also a difference in context where the studios that have been working on Castlevania have done this for 4 seasons so they're probably a lot more comfortable than they are with a show that has just wrapped its first.
    Personally for me it's also an artstyle difference. Castlevania evokes the seinen artstyle of classic anime (A key artist I see on my social media feed sometimes is a huge fan of Vampire Hunter D) where Invincible is gunning for the subversion of the classic American superhero cartoon, both do those things extremely well. It's a combination of different strokes and also different budgets.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Blew all their dough on the voice cast and settled for Saturday morning animation was my thought.

I saw this over the weekend even though its 3 years old and I don't think I saw it in the thread.
    It gets very technical but if you can make it through its has some interesting comparisons and explanations about castlevania's wonderful music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3T0q0gXapQ

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yes, this is the type of YouTube content I want. Thanks @38thDoe .

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm not quite done with season 4 of the show but,
    I'm extremely disappointed they went back to the season 1 level of gore.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page