As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Any storage type thing is stackable, it's handy! Though honestly until there's a proper overflow thing in the game (The devs have indicated they'll probably implement such) they're kinda iffy to use. In this case, my fuel plant makes a slightly awkard amount of fuel, so it's easier to channel the very small overflow into this massive buffer for now. Ideally i'd have the massive buffer and then any overflow gets pacakged and ground up, or burned for power, but actually making a working overflow is a Pain TM. There's ways to do it just using gravity, which is cool... but it's a massive pain and i've had to troubleshoot fluid systems Way Too Much to be happy relying on Gravity.

Also, have some anti-spaghetti. Arent these just the most gorgeous underfloor busses?
    45A63C534323423BA0E6A7C0E28F14A4AB7CBA17

Conveyor Walls + Foundation frames are a penguin's best friend.

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Careful, Penguin. That battery skyway looks awfully similar to the power pack of a Tesla and we all know what happens when those get poked too vigorously.

I dont!

Therefore it's fine right?

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Totally fine

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I love watching folks like TZP play because it's so different from how I play these games. My factories are like, kind of a mess, and I just flit from goal to goal, sometimes I spend entire evenings just tinkering to make something a bit more efficient or to change aesthetics, but overall nothing I've done is impressive.

Meanwhile TZP's played for a few weeks and is like MY THIRD GEOSTATIONARY ORBITAL PLATFORM IS NOW ONLINE, SOON MY EXTRASOLAR PROBES WILL BEGIN TO HARVEST THE OORT CLOUD

It's very impressive!

edited May 2021
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I love watching folks like TZP play because it's so different from how I play these games. My factories are like, kind of a mess, and I just flit from goal to goal, sometimes I spend entire evenings just tinkering to make something a bit more efficient or to change aesthetics, but overall nothing I've done is impressive.

Meanwhile TZP's played for a few weeks and is like MY THIRD GEOSTATIONARY ORBITAL PLATFORM IS NOW ONLINE, SOON MY EXTRASOLAR PROBES WILL BEGIN TO HARVEST THE OORT CLOUD

It's very impressive!

Now look here, the Oort cloud A: Knows what it did, B: Deserves it, and C: I dont actually own Dysphon Sphere project yet so this is totally inaccurate. How dare you.

No seriously, thanks! I just hope some of my designs and explaining are helpful for people/inspiring. Also the bit you miss is the times i s crap a factory and rebuild from the start.

Like this is the 3rd factory on that spot because i got frustrated with the last two.

This is the original, herefore known as the Squid.
    2AAB445CACD2A90CF8E15D87E8E9A05F4838615E

This is what the second looked like before i wrecked it, better known as Modular.
    1B1BDB7EB4009E4BA1D3821B3BB6524F9AA003FF37F1F3C3EA32C845F379980D521F8B143673EA28

It got all the way to making Heavy Modular frames before i snapped and wrecked it. I have so many steel products, though!

And this is the current factory as it stands, which is currently only making copper and carterium products becuase i have literal boxes full of everything steel/iron related (Concrete is made elsewhere).
    003CDFD6BD90F6C6B7927CE2914169CA79CE3820

Right now it's as far as making Carterium Computers & Silicone Circuit boards and is making a handsome 18.75 computers a minute + some extra from the overflow Manufacturer. Fun fact: this entire factory is running off a single Pure Copper, a single Pure Caterium, a single Pure Iron (Or will), a single Pure Coal, and Two Pure Quartz (...but only because they're right by each other. Honestly i could probably run it off just one too).

...Course all these computers are just going straight to the grinder because the storage crate for them is already full, but that's the entire point of this game right? You make stuff so you can grind it into magical tickets!

Next immediate project is Operation Geothermal, where i go and plug every single non-impure Geothermal node into my power grid, and then get really annoyed that i nolonger have a nice pretty grey line for my power production.

After that: Aluminum!

After that: I need more copper sheets, so it's a good thing i'm not even using the entire level of copper i can use yet, innit? The bad news is that this means more refinieries. Verticality, my foe. I thought i was done with you.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Did they increase the power cost of oil processing? I just built my basic processing facility for making plastic/rubber/packaged fuel converting most of the Heavy Oil Residue into Petroleum Coke for power. The one I built in Update 3 was pretty power positive, as I recall, but this one is just barely keeping up. I had to put in a battery to keep the occasional power spikes from bringing the whole system down (it's isolated from the rest of my power because the oil is pretty distant). Apparently 9 Coal Generators is just on the cusp of the amount of power to process 300 Crude now.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    no, oil has always been power-intensive. refineries use a lot of power.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    No, they actually made Fuel generators more efficient, but all power generators run at 100% capacity all the time now so your load balancing may be wonky.

3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    No, they actually made Fuel generators more efficient, but all power generators run at 100% capacity all the time now so your load balancing may be wonky.

One very nice upshot of this is that if you're doing fuel power, you can actually rely on the Polymer Resin output you're getting. Which is super useful!

Also turns out when you've plugged in all the Geothermal generators you get a nice sine wave to your power, not the jagged up down i was expecting.

How do you guys handle the increased complexity of Manufacturer recipes in Tiers 5 and 6? Right now I've automated all the Iron, Copper, Steel, and Caterium basic parts in two adjacent buildings. In theory, I could just pull items from the on-site storage into a new adjacent third building and start making HM Frames, but none of the ratios I optimized for in Tiers 3/4 were designed with HM Frames in mind, so I'd be badly throttled. Last save I solved this issue by building an entirely new base, completely separate from the ones I already had, with end products of Computers and HM Frames (and eventually adding Rifle Cartridges, Nobelisk, and a few other things). I feel like there's got to be a better way, though. I guess I could just bring in new lines of raw materials and expand the old lines until I had the proper amounts, but those buildings are cramped and trying to wrangle all those parts back into the proper storage after creating them in separate places seems like kind of a nightmare.

Do you dedicate buildings to, say, production of a singular specific resource or group of resources? I could see combining Mod Frames and RIPs in one building, and have Rotors/Stators/Motors in another, for example. But then how would I ramp up production of those as my needs increase? Or do you go even simpler than that and dedicate an entire building to Rotors?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I didn't really put any planning into my bases (aside from the massive coal power generation) until I had access to the full tech tree and was able to build maximized sub-factories with anything extra going straight into the awesome sink

So like I would have a factory producing 600 iron ingots, spit between rods and plates, and then another factory on a different iron node producing scads of screws,a nd then another facility producing modular frames and reinforced iron plates.

edited May 2021
    @Terrendos One soloution is just to worry less about being throttled. Like it's annoying and sucks when it happens, but if it's happening... it's happening. Plus you can usually solve it with some clever math.

My personal approach for my current factory i've been posting in sharing is i set some pretty solid limits on myself - One pure node of each kind for resources. From there, i've been using that to determine my production capability, and building off that for each successive stage. The second goal is that each resource i need for building fills a container at each site and only goes further down the track once that container's filled.

For example - Let's work through copper useage in my factory. Right now i'm not even close to using up all my Copper Ore - I'm making 600 ingots a minute (Pure Copper Ingot), which is taking me 240 of my 600/minute Copper Ore.

From there, that's split in half - 300 is going into wire production and then into cable production, the rest is going into steamed copper sheets. Wire production feeds a container till it's full, then goes on to feed cable production. Cable production feeds a container, and then is currently being ground because i havent setup my High speed connector build (The only thing that's going to be using Cable/Wire in this plant currently).

The other 300 is sent to make Copper Sheets. Using the steamed Copper Sheet recipe, i'm getting 300 copper sheets a minute. Of that, 275 is being used up to make the Silicione Circuit board recipe. The rest is/was reserved for AI limiter production, but i've realized i need to improve/expand some things there. Anyway. 275 copper sheets = 125 Circuit Boards once i've added some Silica into the mix.

Bringing that over to computer production and i could be making some amount of computers. In the process of writing this up i've discovered i have a math error SOMEWHERE, because i've got significantly more computer production than the math tells me i should be able to make. Anyway, my current computer production is 18.75 computers.

Except right now this is throttled, because i dont have real rubber production - My rubber and plastic is run off the byproduct from my power grid, and i've not yet built a real rubber and plastic plant.

But that's where that chain ends currently. I still need to setup High Speed Connectors, Super Computers and Radio Control Units, but that's all waiting until i can introduce Aluminium into the mix. Which is my current project!

Hopefully that helps show how i keep things under control. Building in steps, with discreet goals along the way, and building those discreet goals out to end products.

The Zombie Penguin on
    @Terrendos One soloution is just to worry less about being throttled. Like it's annoying and sucks when it happens, but if it's happening... it's happening. Plus you can usually solve it with some clever math.

My personal approach for my current factory i've been posting in sharing is i set some pretty solid limits on myself - One pure node of each kind for resources. From there, i've been using that to determine my production capability, and building off that for each successive stage. The second goal is that each resource i need for building fills a container at each site and only goes further down the track once that container's filled.

For example - Let's work through copper useage in my factory. Right now i'm not even close to using up all my Copper Ore - I'm making 600 ingots a minute (Pure Copper Ingot), which is taking me 240 of my 600/minute Copper Ore.

From there, that's split in half - 300 is going into wire production and then into cable production, the rest is going into steamed copper sheets. Wire production feeds a container till it's full, then goes on to feed cable production. Cable production feeds a container, and then is currently being ground because i havent setup my High speed connector build (The only thing that's going to be using Cable/Wire in this plant currently).

The other 300 is sent to make Copper Sheets. Using the steamed Copper Sheet recipe, i'm getting 300 copper sheets a minute. Of that, 275 is being used up to make the Silicione Circuit board recipe. The rest is/was reserved for AI limiter production, but i've realized i need to improve/expand some things there. Anyway. 275 copper sheets = 125 Circuit Boards once i've added some Silica into the mix.

Bringing that over to computer production and i could be making some amount of computers. In the process of writing this up i've discovered i have a math error SOMEWHERE, because i've got significantly more computer production than the math tells me i should be able to make. Anyway, my current computer production is 18.75 computers.

Except right now this is throttled, because i dont have real rubber production - My rubber and plastic is run off the byproduct from my power grid, and i've not yet built a real rubber and plastic plant.

But that's where that chain ends currently. I still need to setup High Speed Connectors, Super Computers and Radio Control Units, but that's all waiting until i can introduce Aluminium into the mix. Which is my current project!

Hopefully that helps show how i keep things under control. Building in steps, with discreet goals along the way, and building those discreet goals out to end products.

It kinda sounds like you work the opposite direction from me. I start with a final desired output (say, 4 HM Frames per minute) and then back-calculate how much of everything I need in order to make that. Consequently I seldom have "leftover" raw materials because I bring in what I need to the nearest full node's amount of production, and just make whatever else seems prudent with the leftovers so that I'm exactly maxing out the node's production. I always felt like if I made, say, a whole bunch of Copper Sheets without knowing precisely what I'm doing with them, that I'd end up with massively skewed production and find myself needing a bunch more Wire than anticipated but there's no easy way to reroute the Copper, so I guess I'd better just find some new nodes.

edited May 2021
    @Terrendos Well the thing is for this factory, i am working in the opposite direction. It's got a strict set of rules for it (One pure node of everything), and so what i'm building is working off that set of rules. Any exceptions are happening because i cannot avoid said exceptions - e.g my power setup is run off an entierly seprate setup, but i still need to account for byproduct from that, so byproduct is (or will be) integrated into the plastic/rubber chain.

Therefore, i am limited by my raw inputs (In theory, 780 of any ore, and 600 of Oil), and in practice i'm building around a limit of 600 of Ore because T3 miners are a very long time away and expensive as fuck (...and will only increase my ore potential up to 780, which is not a super huge gain.

The end goal of this factory is to build everything i need to build everything. Which is to say, if there's anything i want to build with the build gun, this factory will allow me to make it, and any excess will be ground up. For the T7/T8 Space Elevator parts, i'll build dedicated factories to make each of those, and scale production according to my end goals.

As to rerouting the copper: This is where having a clean design for your resource busses helps a ton, and why my factory is floating, and has a factory floor as it's base.

If you look UNDER the factory, it looks like this:
    946847FBA081A1F3AFC6DCF2457F183D0E9E8BF2BAF30522A305027BEF71CA6E614ACD95863C2D20

Each bus takes up the internals of a Frame Foundation, and can carry 2.34k items a minute, split across three conveyor belts. To handle routing/switching, Conveyor Lifts are use to drop a stream down and send it elsewhere, or lift a stream up to join it to another one. You can see an interchange in the above pictures where Silica is split off to go to a different area of the factory, while Quickwire is added to take over what used to be the Silica stream.

So for instance, when i upgrade my Copper Ingot production, i know right now that each side of it makes 300 ingots, and those streams are going to Wire and Copper sheets respectively. So i'll be able to add another stack to the copper sheet side and scale that into 600 without needing to lift a finger to alter the bus. and if i need to add even more to that side, the layouts are already there thanks to the walls to let me quickly and efficiently connect the bus up

The Zombie Penguin on
  • RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok. Thinking of having a building devoted to iron, one for copper, and so on. Then having those ingot go to larger refining plants that have multiple levels; one for rod, then screws, wire and such. Basically a constructor building devoted to the resource (iron, copper, etc). Then having those plants feed into multi level assembler plants. I think I like this approach. Now to try to figure out a layout that would/could allow for expansion when it becomes necessary.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Ok. Thinking of having a building devoted to iron, one for copper, and so on. Then having those ingot go to larger refining plants that have multiple levels; one for rod, then screws, wire and such. Basically a constructor building devoted to the resource (iron, copper, etc). Then having those plants feed into multi level assembler plants. I think I like this approach. Now to try to figure out a layout that would/could allow for expansion when it becomes necessary.

This mostly what I do essentially.

Except there is no rhyme or reason to it. I build multi-story towers for specific things, but then sometimes I build more floors or an entirely separate building on top, sometimes making completely different things.

Like, I just yesterday built a small building for heat sinks right on top of my old building for screws from like...150 hours ago. Depends on belt flow and stuff. Path of least resistance. I usually paint or decorate them differently too, to keep it all straight.

I'll have to post some new screenshots when I get home, it's pretty wild looking.

I call it The Clown Factory.

edited May 2021
    Grr. Trying to understand fluid dynamics in this game is an exercise in massive frustration at points.
    D746F840282863DCC27222D01BE32D0477DD436F

I've finally got my Aluminum production up and running, but werid issues are cropping up: Namely there should be enough room in pipes so that the 420m3 Water can be drained from the Scrap refineries and recycled into the Sloppy Alumina production. Like this should be a system where I need to add 180 Water a minute to it. The problem is at least one of the scrap refineires is just... refusing to drain it's water into the 420 system. Even though the 420 system is all running 600 pipes and valves to stop backflow.

Grrgh.

Oh well! Proper Aluminum production is up and running, and that's a big deal. It's just not running perfectly (I should in theory, be getting 600 Aluminum ingots a minute out of this)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I had an issue with my water pressure manifold because one pressure pipe was a tick higher than the other, it can be finicky sometimes

ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited May 2021
    E8BE0FA50F53FE1457942CF781E168E308E5881B

Close to done on rebuilding my power plant. In total it'll have 65.38 Fuel Generators (All overclocked to the max, except possibly for the .38 one if i can figure out the math on the last one).

Annnnnnyway. You can see everything that's making the turbofuel here - Oil into HOR -> Fuel and Petrloeum Coke, and Oil into HOR... Which is all fed into blenders, plus sulfur from that train station (Which is also collecting Nitrogen for me). Which make Turbofuel.

Which is then taken to the Fuel Generators! Yay!

I've learned that actually providing pumps, even if it does add to the power bill of this, REALLY FUCKING HELPS. Like valves are one thing, But Pumps super help for manifold structures, even when stuff's entirely flat.

Also also, just to be a show off: Here's the underside of the fuel plant. Or at least some of it. Look at how clean it is! Preserved natural beauty, there's even sunlight down here!
    45BE9A26F398CC2652653AA20C55E959A3FC8507

The Zombie Penguin on
    edited May 2021
    Lessons learned from my power generator build:

I still suck at math.

Also, attempting to split a pipe's flow to go down two seprate tracks is a fool's effort. Just use a manifold design even if you have use some real Hinky piping where no one can see. Also dont bother trying to get perfectly balanced ratios. If your system says it'll power 64.something according to your math... Build 64. Because liquids are so goddamn fussy that adding a .something underclocked one can cause other ones earlier in the track to fail due to fluid imbalances.

(I think. I have actually got a splitter that works, but i built a fluid balancer for that, and i'm not sure the space that requires is worth it? Liquids are hard)

Also i need to submit some feedback and try and convince the devs to split the efficiency number in two - One to show Input efficiency (i.e how efficient is the building being at using it's incoming resources?) and one for Output efficiency. Because this would make it way easier to diagnose problems in complicated production chains.

Anyway.
    E70A0239C030D83134D98D9C599C127A9243E4117C89CA4285F1D54C5D6E1A2A7D032CDD07AABF9B38486556289CC526824E04D2BB2EF0934F44E34C

Tis done.

15 refineries making HOR out of crude oil, supplying 2 blenders and 2 refineries with the HOR necessary to create the Fuel and Petrloeum Coke needed, plus the HOR the blenders need. 14 blenders (12 at 100%, two underclocked to 50%) supplying two sets of 32 generators, all overclocked to 250%.

Which sez the target should be 375MW, but is acutally making 303.5 because there's a bug or something? i unno. Whatever! It's 19,424 MW of power ontop of the average 4.5k i get from all the geothermal. Current factory running full tilt only eats 4.3-4.6k, and hafl that is the power required to run this setup anyway, so... yaknow. I'm good for quite a bit of expansion before i need to do nuclear.

I really like the design of some of these modules, especially the blender module - not only does it look cool as fuck, it was very easy to plug everything in and adjust as needed.

(I'm totally doing nuclear, for the record)

Next project: Fix my aluminum's water recycling which i'm pretty sure is the fucking culprit behind all it's issues, then build a real plastic and rubber factory. That's gonna be fun - i have all this excess polymer resin just from the power and aluminum factory. I should probably figure out recycling that and build out from there. (I'm going to be doing the very silly Resin -> Recycled X -> Recycled Y -> Recycled X chain that lets you in effect turn 1 oil into 3 Rubber or Plastic. Gonna need so many refineiries and blenders...). If nothing else, i may just cap my production at 780 of each. Anything more than that and i'd have to either add an entire nother station on, or expand Big Lad into Biggest Lad.

Current Train names for anyone curious: Tiny Al, Old Ironsides, Lil' Dusty, Big Lad, The Suni and The Silk Crystal. You win an internet cookie if you can tell me exactly what each train transports (For a clue: Tiny Al and The Suni move things between mining outposts and my Power/Petrochemical/Al factory. Big Lad, Old Ironsides, Lil' Dusty and The Silk Crystal move things from the PPA factory and elsewhere to my main factory and home base)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I just unlocked aluminum production. Oh no. OH NO!

I am not prepared for the spaghetti that is going to flow.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    So how viable/possible is it to funnel several iron nodes into several smelter banks to then take those separate lines and feed them into a different building? This building has banks of constructors to make plates, rods, and screws from rods (not all just some). Then have those output lines feed out and into a separate building that has a beginnings of assembler banks set to make things such as rotors, Rip, and such. I'm trying to use a manifold layout for in/out for smelters/constructors/assemblers. Still early into my replay, only have mark 1 stuff, but I can make mark 2, just don't have the Rip production to make it viable.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    The limiting factor on a manifold setup is going to be belt speed.

E.g., with Mk1 belts, you can only have 60 units / minute of any one item, including ore->ingots, and so you'll need to set up multiple banks of smelters, etc. But, once you've done that, it's totally doable to have one smelter bank feeding an iron rod assembly, another feeding a plate assembly, etc.

On the other hand, a single pure iron node can feed nicely into a dedicated RIP facility with mk2 belts, especially if you have the cast screws alternate recipe (which simplifies things by eliminating the iron rods part of screw manufacturing).

Default recipes:
    jq8p5fm4y39k.png

With Cast Screws:
    oi47u9xmbnzq.png

Elvenshae on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    you generally want to avoid building at scale until you have an alternate recipe for screws

later on there are enough alternates that you can quit making them entirely

Elvenshae wrote: »
    The limiting factor on a manifold setup is going to be belt speed.

E.g., with Mk1 belts, you can only have 60 units / minute of any one item, including ore->ingots, and so you'll need to set up multiple banks of smelters, etc. But, once you've done that, it's totally doable to have one smelter bank feeding an iron rod assembly, another feeding a plate assembly, etc.

On the other hand, a single pure iron node can feed nicely into a dedicated RIP facility with mk2 belts, especially if you have the cast screws alternate recipe (which simplifies things by eliminating the iron rods part of screw manufacturing).

Default recipes:
    jq8p5fm4y39k.png

With Cast Screws:
    oi47u9xmbnzq.png

Well sadly, no alts yet. Need to get looking for the hard drives. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for the screw alt to show up. My first play through I didn't get it I til 20+ hard drives in.

Ya, I know about the RIP facility with a single Pure Iron. I did that my last time through. Idk, it SEEMS like having dedicated production for base item (plates/screws/etc) and just moving them where needed would be a good idea. Then again having dedicated facilities for RIP/rotors/etc also seems good. Hmm. Not sure, and kind of still too early.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Alts tend to be within your current tech level, so the sooner after unlocking screws you start popping harddrives, the more likely you are to get the one you want.

you generally want to avoid building at scale until you have an alternate recipe for screws

later on there are enough alternates that you can quit making them entirely

Worth noting that at least for a couple of recipes Screws are still the most efficent method, and they're often the fastest method.

Which is when you deploy the Steel Screws recipe and laugh like a madman, because it's cost is tiny and it's production is insane.

Amelieofthesea has a great resource she's been working on here. Covers basically everything in the game, and is orientated around perfect efficeny (taking into mind everything in the map). Very useful resource! (Though dont follow it blindly!)

You might know her from the insane 2k+ hours world she's got that has some of the most beautiful and frame-eating builds ever.
    2C6690B59EACA4F7B92C520B90F73280196EBBAA

Current work in progress build. You win a cookie if you can figure out what it's for.

edited May 2021
    Penumbra wrote: »
    I just unlocked aluminum production. Oh no. OH NO!

I am not prepared for the spaghetti that is going to flow.

Aluminum production looks worse than it is.

The biggest issue is figuring out how to recycle the water.
    476CA04EBB951DC1228AB24EC02AC5C2E953E7ED

This is my factory i built for it - converting 600 bauxite into 600 aluminum ingots every minute. I used the sloppy alumina recipe, Electrode Scrap and the Solid Aluminum Ingot alts to build it, so no silica is made or used it (It's more efficient to use the silica recipes, but that requires brining in extra silicia... and i didnt want to do that for this, so fuck dat).

Water Recycling was solved by using a 1:3:4 setup with my refinieries. 1 Refinery gets water pumped in and produces Sloppy Alumina, and is underclocked to 90%. Input: 180 Bauxite, 180 water. Outputs 216 Sloppy Alumina.

The Next 3 refineries all make Sloppy Alumina as well, and are underclocked to 70%... but they only get the water they need from the 4 Electrode Refineries. Input: 140 Bauxite, 140 water. Outputs: 168 Sloppy Alumina (each)

Electrode Refineries take in 180 Alumina Solution and 60 petroleum coke, and output 300 Electrode scrap + 105 water. Water goes back into the 3 Refineries. Whole system runs perfectly!

All that gets sent to smelters and comes out the other end as 600 ingots, ready for me to ship off and make into Casings or sheets.

Do note: This system relies on being on all the time to run perfectly, so i've got two Grinders going - one mulches the Polymer from the HOR production, the other mulches excess Ingots. There's also a bunch of pumps around to help with pushing fluid to where it needs to go, when it needs to go. Pumps are a godsend, even for perfectly flat stuff.

The Zombie Penguin on
    Starting to get nuclear set up. Its pretty complicated so I'm going very slowly. The nice added bonus is that it's gotten me out into the wilds exploring new areas.

I started building my concrete and sulfuric acid train before I scoped out the uranium deposit and my train ended up on top of a waterfall with no uranium in sight...turns out it was below me in a cave behind the waterfall.

So I guess I'm building blenders in a cave now. That probably won't be a huge pain in the ass at all!

Also I have to take three trains to get there from my main factory, so I'm feeling like a real commuter. (Should probably look into these hypertube cannons I've heard so much about)

hypertube air travel can take a lot of the headache out of big projects, yeah

right now you have to set them up like a coilgun, which sucks; there used to be a mod that just gave you a set of tube entrances that imparted you with a fuckload of velocity when you entered the tube but update 4 broke it and it hasn't been updated yet

Shit I just realized its the plutonium fuel cells or whatever that are sinkable. I thought it was an earlier stage in the process. This will require more thought and resources than I realized.

Thought I might get away with building entirely in the cave, but I just checked and realized i can fill four reactors with my two manufacturers, so I'm gonna have to build outside a bit after all.

I am terrified to get this all set up and turn it on. I'm for sure gonna need more filters.

Also probably whole new dedicated factories for encased beams and steel. Blargh.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I must have been in the middle of a tear down when I last played cause I loaded up my game and nothing is how I remember it and it feels like I'm missing a ton of manufacturing

In my despair I almost decided to start a new game but I actually really like where this factory is so I think I'll just finish tearing it down to the studs and then rebuilding it since my old factory layout was a little annoying anyways

Plus then I don't have to suffer through all the early tiers again

2x39jD4.jpg
    edited May 2021
    Ok. I have begun tear down on my starter/unlocking factory. I am now at the point where I am going to have facilities a bit more spread out and have them connected. I am unsure of how I want it to be. I am unsure if how far down I want them to focus. I mean, would having a RIP facility be good, or not, and just have the RIP made on site where needed in each facility? I'm trying to have a facility in the Northern Forrest cliff area, near the area in rock desert with the 4-5 P Iron and 4-5 P limestone, maybe an area in sand desert. Still kicking the planning around.

EDIT: Ok I think I got an idea. Maybe make one facility dedicated to HMF. Like, what goes in are the raw needs (Iron, etc) and the only thing that comes out is HMF, and figure out a way to have it be able to be scaled up if/when needed.

RightfulSin on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Used to play Satisfactory with a friend a lot, where we developed a dynamic where I would explore and find new stuff while they built and organized the factory. Worked out well since I liked finding new stuff but my organizational skills are... lacking (my own factory in my own file is a sprawling spaghetti mass across two valleys with jump pads to launch myself to and fro). Eventually in the last patch the game started to get very laggy if I was away from the host however, so that kind of killed things since most exploration became me getting torn apart by invisible teleporting enemies.

My friend continued to play on their own, especially since they work the overnight shift as phone-based tech support from home. I mention this because I recently hopped back in to try the most recent patch and see how the lag was. Much improved, it turns out, but they have made a staggering amount of progress just playing every night for several months.

“Oh yeah, so that hyper tube will take you to the tower.”

And I hop into an absurdly long hypertube that transports me from the jungle to the desert where they have a titanic factory set up. I decide to test things out by searching out some geysers for supplemental power since they’ve been brushing up against power issues. I find two and start to set them up, but run low on materials. So I ask where I can find some cable.

“Try train station 3.”

So I check the map, and see an absurd number of train stations at that massive factory and find one listed 3A and head there. Turns out I’m looking for just 3 and not 3A or 3B. Check the map, and see there’s like 32 different series of stations split into three different sub-stations each. Eventually they start giving me specific directions through this fucking labyrinth to Station 1 which is where they’re pretty sure they have some cable. I did get the geothermal power running eventually! But man, trying to navigate their new set up is difficult. It’s so damn big!

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    Used to play Satisfactory with a friend a lot, where we developed a dynamic where I would explore and find new stuff while they built and organized the factory. Worked out well since I liked finding new stuff but my organizational skills are... lacking (my own factory in my own file is a sprawling spaghetti mass across two valleys with jump pads to launch myself to and fro). Eventually in the last patch the game started to get very laggy if I was away from the host however, so that kind of killed things since most exploration became me getting torn apart by invisible teleporting enemies.

My friend continued to play on their own, especially since they work the overnight shift as phone-based tech support from home. I mention this because I recently hopped back in to try the most recent patch and see how the lag was. Much improved, it turns out, but they have made a staggering amount of progress just playing every night for several months.

“Oh yeah, so that hyper tube will take you to the tower.”

And I hop into an absurdly long hypertube that transports me from the jungle to the desert where they have a titanic factory set up. I decide to test things out by searching out some geysers for supplemental power since they’ve been brushing up against power issues. I find two and start to set them up, but run low on materials. So I ask where I can find some cable.

“Try train station 3.”

So I check the map, and see an absurd number of train stations at that massive factory and find one listed 3A and head there. Turns out I’m looking for just 3 and not 3A or 3B. Check the map, and see there’s like 32 different series of stations split into three different sub-stations each. Eventually they start giving me specific directions through this fucking labyrinth to Station 1 which is where they’re pretty sure they have some cable. I did get the geothermal power running eventually! But man, trying to navigate their new set up is difficult. It’s so damn big!

They need to make a warehouse area, where basic building mats are shunted to keep a small supply ready for players.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    nothing will improve your experience with this game more than making the effort to build an automatically refilling supply room

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I'll have to make that suggestion, yeah. Because trying to decipher the absurd number of train stations to find the items I needed took... far longer than one would hope.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    Shorty wrote: »
    nothing will improve your experience with this game more than making the effort to build an automatically refilling supply room

The one problem i've found with that is that routing everything for the delivery room is a pile of ARSE.

Probably pretty containble with trains and things, but oof. My lazy soloution is that everything's built in one or two places, and each mini-factory has a storage box that routes items into it as a priority before sending them downstream.

On that note, finally finished my Oil factory. One pure oil node into oil tripling, giving me 780 rubber and plastic a minute.

Need to play more, but the fact i'd be building Yet More Refineries is killing my interest. Not quite sure what the devs can do there - Maybe make refineries a bit smaller vertically? You have to build so many of the things, especially late game when you're using the Pure X recipes, and it's just... boring + frustrating in a way that mass building smelters/constructors etc isnt. Probably because you're having to combine and deal with both piping and conveyors.

I dunno what the soloution is. Make Overclocking better/more sustianble so you can build less refineries in general? (I actually want this as a whole, it'd be good for the game's perfomacne too i think?). Rebalance refinery recipes so you just dont need quite so many of the fuckers? Move recipes around so the most efficent raw material recipes arent cocnetrated solely in Refineries?

I dont find blenders to be such a hassle - probably because they're not as vertically huge, and also because you just dont need that many of them - plus the 4 inputs means a more interesting set of design approaches than refineries, which you solve pretty quickly.

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    Eventually in the last patch the game started to get very laggy if I was away from the host however, so that kind of killed things since most exploration became me getting torn apart by invisible teleporting enemies.

I downloaded the pacifist mod partly because the enemy pop-in was so bad, and partly because arachnophobia mode is so damn creepy.

Then, I used the map editor to give myself all the alternate recipes because I wanted to focus on building. Downloaded a better blade runner mod so I could run around faster. And lastly had to get a no fall damage mod because I would go to fast and my computer would hitch, causing me to fall off everything.

Number One Tricky
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    zb1d8hrxa3v1.png

Nuclear power set up. Thought I'd be smart and set up the reactors right on the water. But the geometry/visuals of that bay next to the swamp are wonky. Areas with water visually don't actually have water (and thus can't set up extractors), and areas with a hole to the void actually do have water. Fell through the world so many times.

Number One Tricky