As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Painting exhibition a thread

BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにありますRegistered User regular
edited October 2023 in Critical Failures
ir6pswysd3va.jpg

Yes we all the pull to paint minis and models at times but such is the age we live with when you can look up and see how others painted the same item or how they give you hints
nr0y7tg6uwur.png

You can paint minis for games you don't even play as you might like the look of them
TBD

The Horror of youtube helping you with how to paint things or to get certain looks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB2d5oRcbR0
Sometimes it's not even in a language you speak!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw0awKEyJzg

So once again don't be afraid to ask what people think everyone learns differently and sometimes they need help to

Echo on

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Anyone know much about the archvillain games minis? Their patreon says I can previous months sets but when I click on the store link it takes me to a blank page.

The steel rubber sheets from green stuff world work so much better than magnetic rubber sheets. I got the bottom of the six containers covered. On fit all the minis from cursed city. Filling another with necron warriors, fits 60 in it and I have 140 and 60 immortals. I also have a fuck ton of space wolves so I'm gonna need a lot of this stuff.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Started painting some Drukhari and have inevitably run into my typical problem of finding a paint scheme that I like and can easily duplicate.

Started with just the box art, got half way through and was immediately tired of edge highlighting.

I'm think I'm pretty good at the whole grimdark, muted paint scheme thing, so maybe try and step outside my comfort zone and go for something super colorful.

Halfway done and I hate it....

twvtewumeid2.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I've had a lot of success painting from art and not other peoples minis or schemes.

There is NOT a lot of good drukhari art out there.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    While I argue with myself over buying an airbrush (they expensive yo), I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for the best metallic paints, I have a couple GS metallic pots but I am curious.

Bucketman wrote: »
    While I argue with myself over buying an airbrush (they expensive yo), I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for the best metallic paints, I have a couple GS metallic pots but I am curious.

I will ALWAYS highly recommend Vallejo model color metallics. They look so damn good.

I also really like the scale 75 metal paints.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    I've had a lot of success painting from art and not other peoples minis or schemes.

There is NOT a lot of good drukhari art out there.

I know, I have the Raiders of Commorragh painting guide and where it does fill in a lot of the gaps in painting guides I have found [or people fawning over doing their own trueborn in said guides}
    But on the flip side you can find really neat kitbashes or custom figures like the ever so often Archon
    g7uskymv9e9o.jpg
    Or a beastmaster
    qmatjza9q58f.jpg

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Working on Beast
    bptmwZk.jpg

@Khraul, I actually really like that pink/purple raider

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    Went to buy more rubber steel sheets from green stuff world and apparently they are going to be out of stock until October.

So cool.

I'm gonna try to do some marathon painting tomorrow and finish up more cursed city. I'm feeling a little hesitant with the humanoid models. Not really confident are where to start on the minis.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Went to buy more rubber steel sheets from green stuff world and apparently they are going to be out of stock until October.

So cool.

I'm gonna try to do some marathon painting tomorrow and finish up more cursed city. I'm feeling a little hesitant with the humanoid models. Not really confident are where to start on the minis.

For me, I'm going to set their skin tones first and go from there. I'm intending to make the heroes a brighter color pallet than the undead and other models.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Has someone a good recipe for rich red cloth with a good bit of contrast in the shadows and highlights?

When I try I always and up with something that might look okay for red leather, way too muted/desaturated/whatever.

Blegh, one of those days. Ruined a perfectly fine lineelf with some I'll thought out detailing.

honovere on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Has someone a good recipe for rich red cloth with a good bit of contrast in the shadows and highlights?

When I try I always and up with something that might look okay for red leather, way too muted/desaturated/whatever.

Blegh, one of those days. Ruined a perfectly fine lineelf with some I'll thought out detailing.

Glazes. Always glazes.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Glazes. Always glazes.

When you say that, my eyes always start to glaze over.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    What kind of red?

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    Working on Beast
    bptmwZk.jpg

@Khraul, I actually really like that pink/purple raider

Does beast come with that head and arm or are they sculpted on?

• DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Had big plans to run two Warlord Titans when I started Titanicus and never got the drive to paint the second one. Told myself I couldn't get a Warmaster until I finished that one up so...now it's done with the big sibling waiting in the wings.

DaUItyO.jpg

Also finished up a warband.

D27E7Aa.jpg

Glazes. Always glazes.

I try. Maybe my reds are shit and I need a more saturated one.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Working on Beast
    bptmwZk.jpg

Khraul, I actually really like that pink/purple raider

Beast comes with a few options, including those.

The pink and purple looks good, but I just... don't like it.... I can't put my finger on why. It just doesn't click in my brain.

I set the raider aside and started fresh on something else last night. Might still touch it up a bit but it feels like a better start.

The art
    naav0vnweluh.jpg

The mini

crvqpda5nhl6.jpg
    ascj98iyox7j.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Glazes. Always glazes.

Do you have a photo? It's hard to determine how to fix a problem you can't see.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Ah I took a more full bodied picture from the front.

bZoDq46h.jpg

I am genuinely proud of this particular model and its paint job, but like the Daemon Prince of Slaanesh earlier, this isn't actually a model I own. In many ways, I am disappointed I didn't buy and paint one of Katrakros for myself. It was incredibly fun to assemble and paint, especially the challenge of getting the little bird in the cage painted.

u8hg8j78sarh.jpg

kn4k0ze11qab.jpg

zpn735bjadyg.jpg

qqwioyx2sxf0.jpg

Loved painting this model. It should be noted it's largely contrast as well, with drybrushing and highlighting work. The metallic blue for the armour was accomplished by basing those parts with leadbelcher and then applying leviadon blue on top. It naturally ends up looking metallic, which is a really easy way of painting metals a non-grey color.

Once again as I came home it was prefect to prime but sadly as I thought I will to it tomorrow the wind kicked up

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Working on Beast
    bptmwZk.jpg

Khraul, I actually really like that pink/purple raider

Beast comes with a few options, including those.

Yeah he has 2 head options, one with glasses and one with out and 2 hand options, one waving a fist, the other holding a book.

Glazes. Always glazes.

Yeah reds can be tricky, pic would help us diagnose. I've basically been using a trio of paints that Giraldez used for his Blood Angels tutorial as my go to Red Recipe these days. Vallejo Game Colour Scarlet Red -> Vallejo Pure Red Surface Primer -> Vallejo Model Colour Dark Vermillion (Yes I know it sounds dumb), then mix Ice Yellow into the vermillion for highlights and a dark purple into the scarlet red for extreme shading. Usually have to go over and glaze it a bit more to make it really red.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Glazes. Always glazes.

Doughnut make any more glaze puns in this thread, please.

Brainleech wrote: »
    Once again as I came home it was prefect to prime but sadly as I thought I will to it tomorrow the wind kicked up

Australia in a tropical region where I was before was terrible for this. If it wasn't wind it was an even worse killer: Humidity.

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

Australia in a tropical region where I was before was terrible for this. If it wasn't wind it was an even worse killer: Humidity.

This is why I got an airbrush, because I kept missing the 3 days a year when the temp and humidity aligned to allow me to prime using rattle cans in Queensland.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609

Glazes. Always glazes.

Doughnut make any more glaze puns in this thread, please.

On the other hand I'm fine if you continue to sprinkle a few in.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Should see if you can get some sort of large appliance box to do rattlecan priming in outside but nestled up between the house and fence or something.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski

Should see if you can get some sort of large appliance box to do rattlecan priming in outside but nestled up between the house and fence or something.

I was doing it along the house but how my neighbor put up his fence 2 years ago it's starting to fall in and the fence in my yard that seperated the back yard from the front fell over in the wind and I cannot replace it because of what is happening to his fence
    I am going to go prime some stuff now it was a lot better earlier but sadly my other problem work is what prevents me

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Finished my entry for a local shop painting competition. No contest winner but not bad by my usual standards. Looking forward to getting beck to slap dash rush jobs though! I'm just not that focussed.

DX2MfBx.jpg?1

MhCw7nZ.gif
    The good bad and ugly of priming when a storm is on the horizon
    After I made the above post I thought F it I am priming. I had two sticks or whatever set up to prime so grabbed them and I wanted to try a trick to prime jetbikes and such
    I had been wracking my brain how to prime/paint a jetbike without using the plastic stand [when I did my eldar jetbikes long ago I messed up and snapped a few stands}
    So I noticed by accident when I did my razorwing in the fall that a stick that blew in the yard fit in the engine. So I thought this would work for jetbikes and noticed most of the openings were the same size [7mm}
    A lollipop stick or coffee straw works!
    nu0udg7wf7pq.png
    I am going to cut the stick down and build something when I do my gargoyles
    The ugly part was Lelith when I put the priming stick down a breeze tore her off the tape onto the ground snapping her hair off so in the morning I have to scour the 1M square of the yard looking for a tiny piece :bigfrown:

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I wanted to prime some Titanicus weapons (I have finally gotten off of my ass about painting my Titans) but I didn't have any gloves to stop me from getting good old Leadbelcher spray all over my hands, so I took a plastic grocery bag and put my hand in it, rolled up the excess, and tied it off.
    dvod315mab6y.jpg

Anyway, this would have been a lot easier if I had built them but left the armor panels off and painted them immediately instead of gluing on the armor panels and not painting them for like a year like a complete doofus. If any of you guys are planning on painting AT models in the future, don't make the same mistake I did.

Blegh, one of those days. Ruined a perfectly fine lineelf with some I'll thought out
    detailing.0

Glazes. Always glazes.

ui2jpeta9v25.jpg
    Hmmmm, hard to photograph. The orange looks a bit more yellow in reality. It's mostly the red on the tabbard.

Nothing about that photo doesn't look fantastic.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Fall colored sylvaneth are the superior kind

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    ulmQh26l.jpg

First of my Deathwatch Bladeguard. Since this one is from the Indomitus box it doesn't have special shoulders. I do have 3 from the bladeguard box as well that do have proper shoulders.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2021
    0p6c5c1c74v4.jpeg

Finished the last half of my terminators this morning

Group shot of all of them

ywwk5yyjzkxf.jpeg

Particularly happy with the fire on my 2nd flail

pxe765x3357s.jpeg

That puts me at 71/123 models painted since Feb. next up is 20 more poxwalkers, which I’m hoping to knock out in a week.

Vanguard on
    Nothing about that photo doesn't look fantastic.

Thanks. Then I'll blame my colour deficiency. Might have been not the best idea to go for a orange-red colourscheme...

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Blegh, one of those days. Ruined a perfectly fine lineelf with some I'll thought out
    detailing.0

Glazes. Always glazes.

ui2jpeta9v25.jpg
    Hmmmm, hard to photograph. The orange looks a bit more yellow in reality. It's mostly the red on the tabbard.

It’s possible the slight gloss is making you see leather instead of fabric.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
This discussion has been closed.