As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] Another Big Sale to see out this thread!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Prohass wrote: »
    Oh man the mid game installs in mgs4. And constant load screens. Maybe I’m too hard on it in my memory but it’s the only mgs game I’ve absolutely loathed and never finished, and I’m a massive hideo fan

I had to borrow a PS3 to play it, only had 3 days in-between work, and it was a slog. I remember getting to the end and the ending cutscenes going on and on and on. You'd think they were over and nope, false ending, there's more. And again. And again. Even by Kojima standards it was unbelievably bloated. At the end it was late and I just wanted to call it done, but nope, Hideo gonna Hideo.

It's a shame, because there really are some genuinely awesome bits here and there and it looks fantastic. But the level of bloat makes things like MGS2's 45-minute codec conversation seem restrained.

That said, when I finally acquired a PS3 in 2015 or so, it was something I did pick up a copy of. Haven't replayed it, though. Probably my least favourite MGS overall.

Edit: one thing I will give it, though, is that you can pause in cutscenes. A rare and always appreciated feature, doubly so in a Kojima game.

Jazz on
    By comparison, Xbox 360 version of Skyrim. 3.5GB. It installed so fast I thought something was wrong. Nope, Bethesda just nailed the compression.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I think it was just a mix of the setting which felt visually drab and indistinct, the load times, the multiple mid game installs, and just kind of being over kojima at the time. It was rough. I’d probably still give it a go if it was remastered and cleaned up

Also has titanfall 2 always been 60fps?

I thought the boost was taking it up to 120 or 60, but it’s just 120? So does that mean it was always 60? Or uncapped?

Prohass on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I remember it being very well optimized on Xbox One, and... less so on PC at the time, but it was definitely the premier shooter at the time (and it came out in a year absolutely stacked with excellent shooters to choose from)

I ranked DOOM 2016 over Titanfall 2 in my GOTY nominations. I think as time has gone on and I think more on the memory of those games rather than the experience I had playing it, Titanfall 2 might actually rank higher for me now. It might just literally be my favorite first person shooter ever made.

edited April 2021
    Yup, always 60fps from Titanfall 2 even on a base Xbox One. It's mighty impressive.

Jazz on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Yup, always 60fps from Titanfall 2 even on a base Xbox One. It's mighty impressive.

it's also running at a very low resolution

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Dynamic resolution scaling too. To be fair, when I was playing it on a base Xbox One, I only had a 720p TV so it wasn't an issue!

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Dynamic resolution scaling too. To be fair, when I was playing it on a base Xbox One, I only had a 720p TV so it wasn't an issue!

We didn't really see the same resolution jump between Xbox 360 and Xbox One--or for that matter, PS3 to PS4--that was fostered in the previous transition. Part of that was the timing with the introduction of HD television panels as standardized earlier. Part of that was the massive storm of post-processing, volumetric, and new lighting techniques introduced on Xbox 360, etc.. Part of that is disappointment, especially when you consider how many PS3 multiplatform games ran at weirdly low resolutions just because of development problems, even next to the older Xbox 360. And on top of that, the Xbox 360 succeeded....arguably the only commonly high-definition capable console of its generation, the original Xbox (though there might be a very late-generation 1080i PS2 game out there somewhere, the Xbox got them quite early on with games like Enter the Matrix in 2003--not that you'd want to play that way necessarily).

Games certainly looked better, but since you weren't going to exceed...or even necessarily meet...1080p on the new hardware anyway, I don't think people were as surprised to run into Xbox One games at 720p and PS4 games at 900p, especially with DF entering the limelight for the first time and carving themselves out a niche, and not many other people looking, and the widespread use of variable resolution techniques.

my understanding is that even with dynamic resolution scaling to keep it locked at 60 the game was basically running at 864p the whole time, which really on a 1080 set who cares, but I wonder how it looks on a 4k set.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited April 2021

my understanding is that even with dynamic resolution scaling to keep it locked at 60 the game was basically running at 864p the whole time, which really on a 1080 set who cares, but I wonder how it looks on a 4k set.

Not sure, but it goes significantly higher on a One X (once they fixed it, anyway). It resolves around 1440p on there IIRC, and looks pretty spectacular on my 4K TV.

Jazz on
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Microsoft has had Series S in stock for most of the day if anyone is looking for one.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    S in stock for days.
    X in stock for minutes.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I've talked myself out of grabbing one off ebay. Don't want to support those jackals and it would be dumb to pay over msrp

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    I would say at this stage you don’t really need an S, if you have a one x from last gen there’s nothing that really requires an S as of yet. Sucks that X is still so hard to get. I got mine with a preorder before launch, but I managed to get lucky and get a ps5 by following a local Twitter account that notified when various stores got stock. Got lucky and managed to get one like 5 minutes after the announcement went up, which sounds fast but I had missed out on similar events even when I got there on the dot

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The S, being the low cost solution, is meant to appeal to people who can afford $300 but would balk at $500.. The problem is, those kinds of people are having a real bad go of it due to the pandemic. I think the ony reason it sold in spite of that is people with lots of disposable income settling on whatever they can get their hands on, be it an S or an X. The last of upcoming titles has probably made them realize they can just wait for an X at this point.

edited May 2021
    I think once games start becoming next gen only, or significantly better on next gen, the S will be appealing for people with 1080 res screens. Until then I’m guessing there’s just not a good enough reason for budget conscious people to not just keep playing their current consoles

Having said that we’re still talking about a console you can’t really buy in stores, and that dissapears in a day months after coming out. So it’s only not as insanely popular via comparison with the x and ps5

Prohass on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Raytracing on a 300 dollar machine isn't something to sneeze at, even if it's only 30fps at best

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    The S, being the low cost solution, is meant to appeal to people who can afford $300 but would balk at $500.. The problem is, those kinds of people are having a real bad go of it due to the pandemic. I think the ony reason it sold in spite of that is people with lots of disposable income settling on whatever they can get their hands on, be it an S or an X. The last of upcoming titles has probably made them realize they can just wait for an X at this point.

Eh. It's tiny, it's inexpensive, and if I didn't Need the Biggest Shiny, I'd have gone with it, since my tv was still 1080, no HDR, etc etc. (Until the magic smoke came out, that is, and I upgraded.)

It's definitely got a market segment beyond "can't afford/get the big one". Like, if you're buying a console for your dorm room, your RV, your guest room, your bedroom, whatever, and you don't need/have a giant TV or a lot of space? Why not S? I got a coworker who's got an Xbox, and games on it, but his screen is literally 4' from his face, and not some 65" wall mounted behemoth fancy thing. Dude's a well-paid developer, that's just how his setup is. I could see him going Series S, easy.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

I bought an S cuz it really just was all I needed. Then my 360 died, so I bought an X to have a disc drive again, and I'm going sell my S for cost on the secondary market.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    We tried Second Extinction tonight, and everyone got into it. It’s a completely derivative game (L4D + dinosaurs), but it’s a good time.

It’s in game preview so I don’t know how much of the campaign is done, but I expect we’ll play all there is to play.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    The S, being the low cost solution, is meant to appeal to people who can afford $300 but would balk at $500.. The problem is, those kinds of people are having a real bad go of it due to the pandemic.

I doubt it. People in that situation aren't buying a new console, especially when the games are coming to Xbox One, and increasingly, Playstation 4 despite Sony's claims to the contrary. I think it's intended to put a console into impulse buy territory, on top of being extremely portable and convenient, the opposite of the PS5.

It succeeded in the later regard, though that probably doesn't matter much (Apple's TV peripherals aren't changing the world either). Not sure if it succeeded in the earlier.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So the community as a whole decided to play titanfall today so the population is sky high . 20k on pc 14 k on Xbox so if you wanted to play it’s a great time . Respawn saw all the posts to play today and gave the game a free weekend on steam .

Damn, guess I'll have to install

So the community as a whole decided to play titanfall today so the population is sky high . 20k on pc 14 k on Xbox so if you wanted to play it’s a great time . Respawn saw all the posts to play today and gave the game a free weekend on steam .

wait really? I randomly reinstalled it a few days ago and played a couple hours of multi 3ish nights ago. no wonder i had no issues getting into matches

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Here's a weird thing: The Epic vs. Apple lawsuit is going on right now, and it revealed some Xbox exclusives(?)
    For some reason, Epic is showing internal Microsoft documents about exclusive games, I guess in order to show something about exclusives hurting stuff or something? Anyway, among the documents they showed was an internal investor presentation, which included the following slide:
    sDuynNX.png

STALKER 2 is going to be a 3-month Xbox console exclusive, and The Gunk coming later this year is a permanent exclusive. Weird.
    An even weirder thing was an internal glowing game review of The Last Of Us 2, by "Mike and Jon," made for this investor presentation to show what the competition is up to. It's fascinating, they loved the game except for the gunplay, with the brutal quote
    That said, Naughty Dog can't seem to make decent gun combat in a͟n͟y͟ of their games, and this is no exception.

If you want to see this for yourself, you can find it here. It's neat seeing all this internal stuff.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Also, apparently MS is bringing the 12/88% cut to their console store as well, according to a leaked document. They're currently stating there's "No revenue change at this time" which is the most open statement they could have made. I'm guessing they were planning on saving that for an E3 announcement.

EDIT: Looks like they denied it in a more forceful way.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/5/2/22415712/microsoft-xbox-store-cut-epic-games-court-documents
    A Microsoft spokesperson initially said “we have no plans to change the revenue share for console games at this time,” in a statement to The Verge on Saturday, before issuing a clearer statement on Sunday.

“We will not be updating the revenue split for console publishers,” says a Microsoft spokesperson. Microsoft still refuses to answer whether the document is inaccurate, or simply that plans changed.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited May 2021
    Trying to get into second extinction, unfortunately the first objective markers appear to be in an area with like a random event high threat level in it and I die heaps fast so I’m not really sure what to do

It’s like it’s not great when my first impressions of the game is I can barely see at night, the gun takes up half my screen, and the first objective I go to in a game puts me up against instant death

They also need to ease up on the fog and weather effects, I can’t see shit in this game

While it’s a fun silly concept, I also think unfortunately that turning dinosaurs into a kind of insect swarm sucks much of the coolness out of the dinosaur concept for me. Like I think it highlights that part of why we love dinosaurs isn’t just their visual look, it’s the behaviours, and that gets lost when they behave more like an insect swarm than actual dinosaurs

Prohass on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I don’t know how many hours of road to the show I played today, but it was enough to start a career and make it to the big leagues.

I started as a two-way player that sucked at everything and quickly switched to just starting pitching. I'm basically Jamie Moyer, throwing slow junk and painting corners and pitching like Maddux most of the time but when things go off the rails, they can be bad.

It's fun.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
    edited May 2021
    Having played all the missions in second extinction ive discovered that the first mission on the list is like 50 times harder than all the rest. Which is, a choice I guess

Good things about the game are awesome explosions and decent shooting, also big dinos bodies stay and actually physically can’t be clipped through, so feel weighted.

Bad things are so much stun locking, interupt of your very slow healing, etc, dull and unvaried environment

Oh and also having to look directly at ammo or health packs and select them while you’re being pummeled by 50 dinosaurs

Edit do yourself a favour and choose rosy or a character with self heals abilities if you’re playing solo

Prohass on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    That said, Naughty Dog can't seem to make decent gun combat in a͟n͟y͟ of their games, and this is no exception.

lmao kind of a wanky thing to say tbh but I suppose internally Xbox studios are probably pretty proud of their handle on shooting mechanics lol
    Still. Holy shit lol

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I've played all of Naughty Dog's PS3 games and that statement is 100% correct.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Yeah that comment is pretty much spot on. Same experience as Arteen, the PSFaithful always talk up naughty dog, but I bounced off all their PS3 titles. Drake was just a shittier, more generic Tomb Raider. There was a weird spot in the first Drake I guess, where holy shit - I killed so many people. It's a hell of a thing to be playing a game and stop and say, "How many fucking people do I have to kill?" They seem to do alright without my sales though!

Nosf on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I enjoy the Uncharted games as a slice of pulp fiction writ large and I've enjoyed the VA in all of them. That said. The shooting does indeed suck and my favorite Uncharted anything is the original piece of framed storyboard art I won at PAX 2007.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Uncharted was one of the few games that might have enticed me to buy a PS3.

I did not end up buying a PS3. But, to be fair, the Uncharted series did not play into that decision.

edited May 2021
    I bought a PS3 when a local grocery store had them on for... 169 or something one christmas. We used it for blu ray, netflix and I forget what else. It was basically a media box. I bought...Demons' Souls of course, and uh White Knight Chronicles and the remote. I borrowed the others from friends. I guess I had the free games from their colossal hacking fuckup too. Got to play some Wipeout, Super Stardust and some zombie game that was alright.

We only ever bought a few Blu-rays before streaming basically nixxed that.

Nosf on
    edited May 2021
    Nosf wrote: »
    I bought a PS3 when a local grocery store had them on for... 169 or something one christmas. We used it for blu ray, netflix and I forget what else. It was basically a media box. I bought...Demons' Souls of course, and uh White Knight Chronicles and the remote. I borrowed the others from friends. I guess I had the free games from their colossal hacking fuckup too. Got to play some Wipeout, Super Stardust and some zombie game that was alright.

We only ever bought a few Blu-rays before streaming basically nixxed that.

The early model PS3 consoles...are not very good bluray players. They're like Xbox One consoles as UHD players--they work, but the picture quality wasn't the best even when they were new, and they have stutter issues on top of that--except they're also extremely slow to load. Not sure how later models fared.

But they were cheaper than actual good bluray players, on top of being game consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCuu-TMquhk

Interesting stuff about Xbox 360 PC-side emulation via Xenia, the unofficial emulation option. Being able to play DOA4 with an Xbox One controller would be pretty excellent, unlocking everything again perhaps less so.

Synthesis on

lmao kind of a wanky thing to say tbh but I suppose internally Xbox studios are probably pretty proud of their handle on shooting mechanics lol
    Still. Holy shit lol

I don't get why people are all HOLY SHIT CAN YOU BELEIVE THEY SAID THAT

like.. it's true dawg, you guys ever played an uncharted? I love them but the gunplay is ass.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png

Still. Holy shit lol

like.. it's true dawg, you guys ever played an uncharted? I love them but the gunplay is ass.

I played all of TLoU2 and found the shooting fine, but yeah I don't think anyone plays Naughty Dog games for the shooting

edited May 2021

Still. Holy shit lol

I played all of TLoU2 and found the shooting fine, but yeah I don't think anyone plays Naughty Dog games for the shooting

It's the unresolved sexual tension between Drake and that old guy, isn't it.

edit: just got the streaming invite thing, if you were waiting for that, check your mail. Says it's because I'm subbed to gamepass ultimate.

Nosf on