As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can I get some feedback?

AntonioMabsAntonioMabs Registered User regular
Hello everyone, I would like to improve my skills and would appreciate your feedback on my work.

Here is some concept art I’m working on.
bd6cvnh0swtp.jpeg

• AntonioMabsAntonioMabs Registered User regular
    And one more for now. ffbs5w0m8dpp.jpeg

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I do t know nothing about nothing but I say, keep it up! You’re very imaginative, which is a great start!

I do t know nothing about nothing but I say, keep it up! You’re very imaginative, which is a great start!

Thanks! Having a moodboard before painting helps me lots when it comes down to coming up with ideas.

Working on this one next.
    mnwi14i1kwjg.jpeg

Some figure drawing practice, really rusty this is session 4 of a 30 minute line of action class.
    j9wjkyve4x11.jpeg

Character design work inspired by vejigante masks and rums.
    66qkfowsxhar.jpeg

scv18pw3z0t5.jpeg

Drawing cartoon heads in between work stuff. weozmk7n0uyw.jpeg

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The Artists Corner moves wicked slow these days so don't get discouraged if there's not a ton of feedback on your thread right off the bat.

I am, unfortunately, the absolute worst at painting so I don't have a lot to help out with in that area. It looks like you have a pretty decent grasp of color, specifically with regards to pics 1 and 2 you posted. The pallets are solid. I'd say the biggest area to focus on would be laying out compositional lines (like in #4 there) to get your vanishing points, fore and background objects and sizing down pat. Maybe @Angel_of_Bacon can offer better advice on that front.

As for your figures I'd say it looks like you might be spending too much time noodling on the superfluous details like the clothing or arm and leg shapes without locking down your basic structures. Spend some more time with quick gestural drawing to get the hang of finding the flow and motion of the subject. Keep em quick, 30 seconds to a minute, do a ton of those, then move up to slightly longer studies, 5 to 10 minutes. So on and so on.

You've got a lot of solid stuff going on from what I see here. Just need to hone in on some fundamentals and that's gonna go a long way to helping you improve. Keep it up!

• AimAim Registered User regular
    Hello everyone, I would like to improve my skills and would appreciate your feedback on my work.

bd6cvnh0swtp.jpeg

Definitely not an expert, but two things I noticed: perspective seems to be off - the road doesn't diminishes in size as expected. And a darker than background sun feels off to me as well. Otherwise, interesting stuff.

Juggernut wrote: »
    The Artists Corner moves wicked slow these days so don't get discouraged if there's not a ton of feedback on your thread right off the bat.

Definitely understand, I used to have an account way back in the day and this forum was where it was at. No doubt it’s still filled with amazing artists even if they don’t post as much.

I am, unfortunately, the absolute worst at painting so I don't have a lot to help out with in that area. It looks like you have a pretty decent grasp of color, specifically with regards to pics 1 and 2 you posted. The pallets are solid.

Thank you very much! I’m the first to admit that I still have lots to learn in regards to color but I’m grateful that you enjoy them.

I'd say the biggest area to focus on would be laying out compositional lines (like in #4 there) to get your vanishing points, fore and background objects and sizing down pat. Maybe @Angel_of_Bacon can offer better advice on that front.

Will work on that. Are there any videos or links you recommend on this topic? I’ll do some research of course but would love some guidance if you have any.

As for your figures I'd say it looks like you might be spending too much time noodling on the superfluous details like the clothing or arm and leg shapes without locking down your basic structures. Spend some more time with quick gestural drawing to get the hang of finding the flow and motion of the subject. Keep em quick, 30 seconds to a minute, do a ton of those, then move up to slightly longer studies, 5 to 10 minutes. So on and so on.

You've got a lot of solid stuff going on from what I see here. Just need to hone in on some fundamentals and that's gonna go a long way to helping you improve. Keep it up!

As for the figure drawings, those were actually from a line of action class where we warm up with a couple of 30 secs gestures but I can definitely see what you mean. Figure drawing has been a mystery to me for a while but now I’m actually doing the work and trying to take the virtual class as many times a week as I can. Here are pics of today’s session.

a5zdazw6osl7.jpeg

k87wlcejiidn.jpeg

Gonna post more in a bit from today’s work and answer the other comment. Gotta drive now 🙏✌️

A couple more from figure drawing.
    73hlyl75ujvx.jpeg
    u68htda7r5tt.jpeg

Aim wrote: »

bd6cvnh0swtp.jpeg

Definitely not an expert, but two things I noticed: perspective seems to be off - the road doesn't diminishes in size as expected. And a darker than background sun feels off to me as well. Otherwise, interesting stuff.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I can see what you mean about the sun, probably a lighter color would have been much better, that makes sense.

Definitely need to work on my perspective grid. I usually just paint right in on a black or white canvas, but perhaps setting everything up first with a grid and then painting will be a better move.

Did these backgrounds today for an animation I’m working on. Quick paintings mostly 10-15 mins.

p6rb10jxi0tm.jpeg
    sv0o4nnb67dd.jpeg
    b26y1lj9ikho.jpeg
    knrxj4mqalsh.jpeg
    5ww31h8hfnj6.jpeg

And worked another 30min session on this concept art piece for one of the levels in the PixelPeeps game. This is the Museum entrance by the way. The character is the front desk secretary. Miss Lupita.
    62tr7kpmmzga.jpeg

I’m trying to get this one to as best as I can before moving on to the next piece of concept art. The paintings are inspired in some fellow artists paintings here in the island and it means a lot to me to make it as best as I can before posting it and moving on. Usually I spend about an hour on most concept art for personal projects since I just need to get the general idea down, but this one means a lot to me and I figured if I spent more time on it I would perhaps learn much more than by cranking them out as fast as I can.

edited April 2021
    Good stuff, making full background for your work can only be a good thing.

I guess if I wanted to critic I’d just say try to create a palette for your pieces if you want them to really pop.

Picking some random corners of art from pinterest as examples:
    z0wa5zps4cnz.jpeg
    yy0j0yj5mbfo.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I actually don't have a ton of figure resources I can give you unfortunately. For me, personally I've never felt like a lot of the accepted wisdom on figure drawing was all that useful or intuitive. The whole "8 heads high" or whatever for example.

That said, Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis is about the Bible re: figure drawing I think. Lots of solid, classic knowledge in there.

I also posted this video by David Finch in the chat recently, the caveat being he's a comic artist so his style is going to be geared more towards that.

https://youtu.be/t-crXRMju-Y

Swapping how I build figures (with boxes, now instead of ovals and circles) helped me a ton though, so it's still worth a watch even if its not your style.

Otherwise, the best way to understand anatomy is to practice practice practice. The more you draw the human form the more you'll intuit how it works. I would caution against getting super invested in musculature and ligaments and learning every single tendon and bone, though. At least when you're just starting out. I think it can be overwhelming and also not all that helpful until your particularly advanced.

• Bubster WolfBubster Wolf Registered User regular
    If you're looking for figure references, you can't go wrong with Proko. He's got most of his lessons on Youtube and they are entertaining, easy to follow, and well-organized. (unfortunately I just joined up and can't post a link)

Keep at it! I can see already that your figures are improving over the course of this thread. I particularly like the fluidity of the gesture on the woman sitting down in the 1 min sketch, and the 5 min of the woman holding her head in her hands.
    If I were to give a critique, I would say that you might want to be a bit looser with your 1 min. gestures. You really don't need to put in too much detail at that stage, just get the basic action lines of the poses with only the tiniest bit of structure on top.

Sounds like you're taking classes, that's great! Get the most out of that stuff while you have the structure to do so.

edited April 2021
    Good stuff, making full background for your work can only be a good thing.

I guess if I wanted to critic I’d just say try to create a palette for your pieces if you want them to really pop.

Picking some random corners of art from pinterest as examples:
    z0wa5zps4cnz.jpeg
    yy0j0yj5mbfo.jpeg

Thank you very much! I’m gonna watch a couple of color theory videos as well to see how I can better improve my colors. I’m still trying to get the hang of what to pair with what and definitely need to better learn to shade with it, I personally like to do greyscale painting first and the color on top of that but been trying to go full color on a couple of these.

6e8im3lbf4lm.jpeg

Here’s a new one I worked on today for Zomboss lvl 2. Tried to limit my colors to 2 palettes, and an extra highly and shadow color.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I am very grateful for it. I will research more into what you all suggest and hopefully I can post examples of new art to go along with whatever I’m studying.

Does anyone use one of those color palette apps where you pick a color and you can save your palettes for later painting? I remember a really good one I experimented with but I can’t remember the name, it was on mobile.

AntonioMabs on
    edited April 2021
    I don't know any color pallet apps unfortunately, but James Gurney has a great technique called "Gamut mapping" where you take the color wheel and create a mask over it to purposefully limit your color pallet so that it's harmonious.
    For color study in general, I greatly recommend finding a copy of Gurney's Color and Light if you can afford it. It's the bible of color theory as far as I'm concerned and it's amazing for self-study.

Update: Yay I can post links now!

James Gurney Gamut Mapping:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EejGPq4GyeA

Color and Light:
    https://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Realist-Painter-Gurney/dp/0740797719

Bubster Wolf on
    edited April 2021
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I actually don't have a ton of figure resources I can give you unfortunately. For me, personally I've never felt like a lot of the accepted wisdom on figure drawing was all that useful or intuitive. The whole "8 heads high" or whatever for example.

That said, Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis is about the Bible re: figure drawing I think. Lots of solid, classic knowledge in there.

I also posted this video by David Finch in the chat recently, the caveat being he's a comic artist so his style is going to be geared more towards that.

https://youtu.be/t-crXRMju-Y

Swapping how I build figures (with boxes, now instead of ovals and circles) helped me a ton though, so it's still worth a watch even if its not your style.

Otherwise, the best way to understand anatomy is to practice practice practice. The more you draw the human form the more you'll intuit how it works. I would caution against getting super invested in musculature and ligaments and learning every single tendon and bone, though. At least when you're just starting out. I think it can be overwhelming and also not all that helpful until your particularly advanced.

Thank you very much for these recommendations. I’ll check out the video as well as the book, got it on my to-read list 🙌

I’m still building with circles so maybe squares will definitely help. Figure drawing is not my forte at all but I would definitely like to add some realism to my otherwise very cartoony style which is why I’m working hard at those figure drawing sessions.

I’m working on a big mural project and yesterday I tried to bring some realism to this concept painting before I put it on the wall.
    b2cc8h5stfc2.jpeg

Anatomy is also a huge mystery for me, I read a book once about it but I definitely need to brush up on it.

AntonioMabs on
    If you're looking for figure references, you can't go wrong with Proko. He's got most of his lessons on Youtube and they are entertaining, easy to follow, and well-organized. (unfortunately I just joined up and can't post a link)

Keep at it! I can see already that your figures are improving over the course of this thread. I particularly like the fluidity of the gesture on the woman sitting down in the 1 min sketch, and the 5 min of the woman holding her head in her hands.
    If I were to give a critique, I would say that you might want to be a bit looser with your 1 min. gestures. You really don't need to put in too much detail at that stage, just get the basic action lines of the poses with only the tiniest bit of structure on top.

Sounds like you're taking classes, that's great! Get the most out of that stuff while you have the structure to do so.

Thank you very much for this feedback. It’s sometimes hard to see improvement myself when I’m in the thick of it, but I’m grateful you can point it out for me.

I will take both of your advices, been seeing a couple of Proko videos throughout my career but sitting down to really take in the content will be of great use. And I’ll keep those 1min sketches on even looser 🙌

As for classes, it’s not really a class but there’s this app:
    https://line-of-action.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing

I use it to practice and there’s a 30min class mode on it, it gives you pics in different time increments like 30secs, 1min, 5 mins and 10mins

I don't know any color pallet apps unfortunately, but James Gurney has a great technique called "Gamut mapping" where you take the color wheel and create a mask over it to purposefully limit your color pallet so that it's harmonious.
    For color study in general, I greatly recommend finding a copy of Gurney's Color and Light if you can afford it. It's the bible of color theory as far as I'm concerned and it's amazing for self-study.

Update: Yay I can post links now!

James Gurney Gamut Mapping:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EejGPq4GyeA

Color and Light:
    https://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Realist-Painter-Gurney/dp/0740797719

Uhhh niceee!!! Gonna check out the video. Got the book as soon as you sent it and I’m finding it really inspiring, so far I’m about 20 pages in and the illustrations are beautiful!! I hope some day I get to paint like that.

In the meantime here’s some work in progress on another mural I’m working on.
    sxgx417g427y.jpeg

I finished this other one a while back for my mom.
    x55mmxa87p9j.jpeg

And finished this piece for a big wall collab with my graffiti crew GraffNSurf
    6ihbvesg22bc.jpeg

Wow so much physical media, and huge! That's great that you're doing so many different types of projects, with a variety of styles no less.
    As far as the self-study, I totally hear you. It's a long road but ultimately more rewarding than if you were in school for it maybe? Though I'm sure there's pro's and cons.

Thanks! I love doing murals, digital work has been what I’ve been doing for most of my career but murals is where my heart lies. I’m super grateful to be doing so many this year, and I’m finding it very fun to put the two things together, like first concept it digitally and then throw it at the wall. That’s awesome.

As for self-study, well it’s gotten me this far so I can’t complain about it, but a community definitely helps, being part of this forum this last couple of weeks has done wonders for my mental health in terms of not feeling like I’m in a vacuum creating all the time or feeling lost with my studies. The feedback you all provide either sheds new light or further reinforces what I was thinking and let’s me know I’m going down the right path. So if anyone else is doing this self taught I definitely recommend finding a good community of like minded artist to bounce ideas, questions and theories off.

Exactly, I am starting up here for the same reason. It's so hard to build or find a community of artists I'm finding, especially during these pandemic times. You can give yourself feedback, but that only goes so far.

Painted this new one today part of the animation backgrounds I’m working on. du7t9f26we3f.jpeg

10min figure drawing from today’s session. o1l49j00raxr.jpeg

Finished up the concepts for the rum bottle and the character design. The client will be purchasing test bottles so I can print up some stickers to put on them with these designs. 5xtxhe0rp79x.jpeg

Whoa that's awesome! Great silhouette and design of the mask there :)

Thank you very much! I’m very happy with how it all came out especially the nutritional panel at the back of the bottle I love how that looks with the close up of his face.

Yeah! It's like he's judging you for drinking it almost? (Vice and all that)

Hahahahaha I like that

edited May 2021
    Completed client work, Cinnabuns at the beach

g80dznchwwvt.jpeg

AntonioMabs on
    Working on this wall. Today I laid down all the top bricks. ic5vvqzg1mtl.jpeg

Rad! So it looks like you're painting brick patterns onto a wooden-wall surface?

Yeah! It’s on cement though but trynna make it like brick patterned and then the big orange squares below are gonna be darker but bricks too, and then a big tree with a couple of reddish leave and a big wooden door on the right with a window inside that shows a green hill on a sunny day.

That sounds like it would really brighten up the space! What a cool project :)

Cool stuff as usual @AntonioMabs :+1:

Thanks a bunch!! I appreciate your kind words. 🙏

Here’s an update on that tree mural. 0w0qfhue3jk9.jpeg

Sketched out some concepts for a client coverart fq9ipjq8m3qv.jpeg