As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four LightsVancouverRegistered User regular
edited December 2023 in Games and Technology
From the pod today:

Alex, Brad, and Vinny, you will be missed!

ps.

steam_sig.png
kHDRsTc.png
Hardtarget on

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Pains me to say this but I've made sure my auto-renewal is not turned on. Looks like I'm premium till December, who knows what is going to happen now. Gamespot and Giantbomb merger I would think as a start though.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Yeah my premium was about to renew. I'm not gonna pay for another year with this happening. I hope to hear Vinny/Alex/Brad's "what we're doing next" updates soon. I hope that is even happening.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm not crying. You're not crying. :(

My sub is set to renew on the 13th and the only reason I'd keep it now is to be able to watch all of the premium content (that interests me) that I haven't gotten to yet. However, if all of that goes free in the next week or so I can safely save my money.

I'll also need to find at least one new gaming focused podcast because Giantbomb and The Beastcast were the only two I listened to every week for almost 10 years.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    It's bananas the site doesn't have a statement ready to go and posted. Lots of misinformation already spreading re people like Rorie, etc

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    My premium literally ends tomorrow
    This is lowkey making me really sad deep inside

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I'm actually a little pissed that there's no statement.
    I can't tell if this is because:
    A. I really care about these people and want to know they're "ok"
    B. I really care about the site and want to know what happens to it
    C. I'm paying for premium and feel I'm "owed" some insight.

I'm going to go for a walk instead.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I renewed earlier this year, so I've got it til early 2022. I'm curious where they're gonna end up going or if they're just gonna shut it down/consolidate. Honestly, if Jeff decides to keep it going and hires some new, young people, I'd probably be ok with that. I think I've liked all of the new people they've brought on over the years. Sucks to see Vinny/Brad/Alex leave, though. They're great. I wonder if Vinny is gonna go do something more behind the scenes and production related for his next job.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I haven't really watched more than a random video here and there in a while, it just hasn't fit into my life. But I used to listen to every Bombcast and then every Beastcast and watch every video. Ryan's death hit me harder than any other "celebrity" death. I've had premium this entire time and never regretted it (it was going to renew in June, so this timing works out). So this still hurts.

I guess I'll listen to one last Bombcast, since it's just going to be reminiscing.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    It's bananas the site doesn't have a statement ready to go and posted. Lots of misinformation already spreading re people like Rorie, etc

My guess? This wasn't planned. The talk of a 6 month bonus payout clause may be true, but it seems very sudden, and that perhaps they weren't prepared for it. Red Ventures may be the one pulling the bonus parachute, paying them out, and then pushing them out the door. It's not an uncommon tactic. Jeff is usually a pretty prepared guy and saying they will have a statement later this week just screams of sudden corporate reaping.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Vinny says there was frustration between them and Red Venture

welp thats that then.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Jeff said they've been talking about this for a few weeks at least; that's enough time to come up with a statement.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

My guess? This wasn't planned. The talk of a 6 month bonus payout clause may be true, but it seems very sudden, and that perhaps they weren't prepared for it. Red Ventures may be the one pulling the bonus parachute, paying them out, and then pushing them out the door. It's not an uncommon tactic. Jeff is usually a pretty prepared guy and saying they will have a statement later this week just screams of sudden corporate reaping.

seriously doubt it, in the video clip above Jeff says they've been talking about it for weeks. GB just isn't 'professional', there is no internal HR, etc. This is one of the reasons it's great btw.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    *shrugs* Don't know than. They probably don't have a statement because they don't know what the future is. It's possible there are tense, not particularly friendly, meetings going on in the background with Red Ventures. Sounds like none of them are happy with the merger.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Well this is hugely gutting. I listen to the bomb cast and the beast cast every week. And the hotspot! I am so sad.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    A couple of tweets with some info:

So basically they stuck around as part of a business deal when she got sold and now that the timeframe is up they're out.

It's a hypothesis at any rate but I mean, it makes sense.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I haven't really been keeping up with GB for a couple of years now, just checking out the occasional video or live announcement commentary here and there, but this still sucks.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    My sub is set to renew on the 15th. I like Jeff but I just don’t know if I’ll cancel or roll it one more ‘gain.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I’m going to wager the following:
    1: Vinny and Alex were not going to get a new studio in NYC/Jersey, with the bonus guess of being ask to move back to SF

2: GB and GameSpot getting rolled together, with Jeff as the head. Explains why the video production guys and general support wizard Rorie are staying.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Cancelled my auto-renewal until we hear more.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Ah shit. They started playing "Synthetic Life" during the break and now I'm literally tearing up.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    RIP video games :(

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    If gamespot doesn’t have any sort of premium membership, that might be where any future GB content goes. Essentially Giant Bomb (in some form) as a subscription add-on to basic Gamespot.

Edit: Complete speculation here.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Oh wow Jeff G has a second kid on the way?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    RIP Giant Bomb

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicio wrote: »

announced it ....yesterday?

• Options
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    wt1vbn19pkmj.png

Okay, this one did it. Now I'm actually crying.

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »

announced it ....yesterday?

Yeah I just saw the tweet. I doubt he'll be too forward-facing in the near future then, he mentioned a few times that he'd like to be more present for his kid(s)

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    these tweets were fucking back to back

h3e7c9x3zip3.png

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I saw that a bit ago and was like "OH NO HOW DO I REACT"

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    So, odds of a new site "colossal explosive device" launching soon with departed players?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    So, odds of a new site "colossal explosive device" launching soon with departed players?

probably zero.

vinny has 2 children.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Jeff just announced all subs extended through May. It's not clear though if premium is going to continue to be a thing yet.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I’ve loved Quick Looks for years, but got super into the podcasts and other content during covid. They’ll always be a big part of my 2020 memories and it sucks to see it end.

There’s so much past premium content I’ve been exploring like Vinnyvania and Metal Gear Scanlon so while it’s a bummer, I’m sure I’ll be able to enjoy plenty until my sub runs out next year. I’m very curious of Brad will focus more on the Tech Pod and what else he and Vinny might do.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Well fuck.

Between things like Jan's storytime on the latest UPF, and Bakalar's recent job change, I was feeling pretty optimistic about the future of GB too.
    At the same time, I will say, there was a segment or two in the latest Hot Spot about the future of the industry, where they all just seemed uncertain and a bit down about it.

Who knows. This is a huge bummer though. One of the few video game sites/podcasts I regularly check in on these days. Definitely hope for the best for all of these folks, but man, this is a big 'ol gut punch I wasn't expecting today.

• Options
    not going to lie

this was very poorly planned and I get Jeffs explanation but like

....not good enough?

• Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Jeff just announced all subs extended through May. It's not clear though if premium is going to continue to be a thing yet.
    like may of 2022? Cause i've already paid till December, if premium goes away am I getting some sort of pro rated refund? lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

0%

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    like may of 2022? Cause i've already paid till December, if premium goes away am I getting some sort of pro rated refund? lol
    Mine's until June '22, although I can't remember extending past '21 haha

ouxsemmi8rm9.png