As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    tl;dr for those who didnt watch

They dont really plan ahead, they have content lined up all week as per usual, seems like bombscasts will continue but going dark otherwise for May, everyone subscription has been extended through the end of May.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    So, odds of a new site "colossal explosive device" launching soon with departed players?

probably zero.

vinny has 2 children.

I can't imagine any of those three being in a place where they really want to kickoff another startup site.
    not going to lie

this was very poorly planned and I get Jeffs explanation but like

....not good enough?

have you considered the possibility that it's not about you

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    not going to lie

....not good enough?

ya the no press release stuff is insane, especially since people are actual paying members

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular

Unbelievably proud of @VinnyCaravella, @bradshoemaker, @alex_navarro, and everyone at Giant Bomb for making it something truly special. I’m incredibly thankful to have worked there, for the fun but also for how much I learned from such great people. Best of luck to everyone! <>

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2021
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    So, odds of a new site "colossal explosive device" launching soon with departed players?

0%

If GB was being shut down, maybe, but if Jeff is staying I doubt they're going to just go and make a competitor service.

• Options
  • Options

in case you didn't happen to tune into this week's Bombcast, I should probably say publicly that I have given my notice, and this Friday will be my last day @giantbomb. It's been an incredible 10 years, but I made the difficult decision that it was time to move on.

I will spend some time tonight catching up on all your messages and DMs, but for right now I think I just need to take a walk around the block. let's save the goodbyes til Friday. we've still got videos about video games to make!

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Who was Vinny talking about that had to deal the most with them, when he teared up? His wife, because he basically worked himself to the bone, right?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Who was Vinny talking about that had to deal the most with them, when he teared up? His wife, because he basically worked himself to the bone, right?

Agro Crag

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »

yeah

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    VOD is up for the Bombcast. Watching it now cause I missed the start of the Bombcast so I didn't watch it. Lol at Jeff making a "you're all fired" joke during the preshow.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Does this make Kingdom Hearts the most cursed game ever for the site?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    My on the bright side of this is I hope this gives Jeff the chance to hire some diverse young people to mentor

It sucks he’s always gotten shit about the new hires to some degree but he’s mentioned it’s hard to hire on camera roles and to gel with a staff of long time existing friends

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    not going to lie

....not good enough?

I doubt any of them wanted it to go down like this.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    FeloniousmozFeloniousmoz Registered User regular
    Great, I'm in the stage of mourning when Wiz Khalifa is on repeat. Fantastic.

"How can we not talk about family when family's all we got"

A fucking video game website. Goddammit.

Steam: FeloniousMoz
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

huh, kinda surprised. weird timing then, especially to have all 3 quit at once

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Does this make Kingdom Hearts the most cursed game ever for the site?

@Raiden333 brought up that Kingdom Hearts managed to kill both SBFP and Giant Bomb. What a cursed series.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    let make sure we take some time to remember the best vids
    https://youtu.be/tkqrzpHO7F8

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Feels like talk with Red Ventures stalled and an ultimatum was given that didn't sit well with the dudes.

Could have been paycuts or "demotions" if the Game Spot merger rumors are true. Maybe Alex and Vinny were told they needed to move back to SF? etc etc

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

it's almost certainly still dissatisfaction with Red Ventures that led to them all talking about it and presumably coming to the same conclusion and deciding that leaving all at once just made more sense than trying to draw it out. This just means there's nothing particularly meaningful about the six months

• Options

This Friday will be my last day with Giant Bomb as per the announcement on the Bombcast today. I'm so proud of everything we've accomplished over the years and so thankful for everyone that has been a positive part of it. It has shaped who I am.

I'm going to take a breather, spend some time talking with friends and family that have been neglected for too long, and then get back to working hard on something new. Just have to figure out where that energy is going. Again, thanks so much for your continued love and support.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    My first thought is that Red Ventures wasn't going to pop for a new NY studio, figuring that Alex and Vinny could just keep streaming like they have been during the pandemic, and both of them didn't want to spend the rest of their careers streaming from home.

But that doesn't explain Brad leaving as well.

• Options
    Wait, do you guys think that Brad, Vinny, and Alex were all about to release a 3 person co-review of a new Square Enix game and they didn't like it and this is the fallout?!

FOLLOW THE MONEY

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I wonder how badly subscription cancellations hit today for them. Thinking about it I bet it’s not great for them to have a ton of people stop subs immediately upon hearing the news. I wonder if the extension thing was a way to stem that some.

Edit: and I say this having realized it after having done the same with my sub coming up for renewal soon.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    The bigger question for me is will Red Ventures even keep GB around now that they've lost over half of the staff since the aquistition.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Cancelled my auto renew.

Best of luck to the remaining crew(?) and to everyone else on their futures.

I think it's shameful that Jeff hasn't stated the future of All Systems Goku.*

*(Kidding of course)

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I wonder how badly subscription cancellations hit today for them. Thinking about it I bet it’s not great for them to have a ton of people stop subs immediately upon hearing the news. I wonder if the extension thing was a way to stem that some.

i know i canceled. the website is functionally dead at this point, and with nothing but vague platitudes like "we have something exciting planned and hope we can pull it off" i wasn't about to let my sub renew for a year in like 2 days.

given they've spent the last 2 years saying things were good as they hemorrhaged people and i believed them, this is the straw that breaks the back of continuing to believe them.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    This is the opportunity for Jeff to flex his anime expertise to transition Giant Bomb into a Dragonball fan site.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    The bigger question for me is will Red Ventures even keep GB around now that they've lost over half of the staff since the aquistition.

Brad's been doing that podcast with Will Smith for more than year now, maybe their Patreon money is real good?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    All I can picture in my head is the finale of Newsradio.

Everybody follows Jimmy James off to New Hampshire, and Jeff Gerstmann sits alone at his desk.

Then Bakalar pops out and Jeff realizes this is his fate, his eternity, his own personal hell.

• Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »

Brad's been doing that podcast with Will Smith for more than year now, maybe their Patreon money is real good?

it in fact is doing very well

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

They’re increasing the prices of the Patreon tiers, or at least the minimum, so it’s doing great. It’s my current favorite podcast.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

It should be enough to make the pressure on him pretty low. It is probably, after fees, somewhere in the $1.5k to $2.5k range per person (They have 4k subs for 2 people, lowest tier is $2). Not enough to be a career just yet, but enough to either consider going all in, or to try and find something else (some sort of consulting/writing for business side, Brad is definitely a well respected writer)

Vinny is in a weird place, where his skills are potentially highly valued but also fairly niche, and his knowledge may be a bit outdated. Honestly I wouldn't be too surprised if he contacts some people at Viacom/CBS.

Alex seems a little bit more shaky, less of clearly defined skill. He does have a lot of connections in the industry, but it's a pretty weird industry.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I imagine they could all get jobs in PR/dev relations departments at video game companies. Don't forget that Alex was responsible for putting together the E3 after-hours couches, so he was talking to everybody.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Vinny also saying he's not going anywhere in particular makes me think this Red Ventures thing has gone pretty poorly for the site.