As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

19495969798100»

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    i got rid of all my 40k stuff. i still have a few warhammer fantasy figures about, for playing some mordheim or the like, but i am done with wargaming.

Heresy!

Although, if it was ruining your life, congrats!

I was thinking of swapping 40k for heroin. Should be cheaper and less detrimental to my health.

Please don't do heroin. And glue your stuff in a well ventilated area!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    So I pawned my Smith & Wesson
    And I went to meet my man
    He hangs out down on Alvarado St.
    By the Games Workshop model stand

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I wish that Guant had his power sword. He's had that sword WAY longer than he used a chainsword.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I wish that Guant had his power sword. He's had that sword WAY longer than he used a chainsword.

Cain is honestly, if somewhat ironically, the commissar I'd most associate with excellent chainswordsmanship.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Speaking of Gaunt anybody else find the writing in Anarch to be like kind of off? I read that Iron Snakes short story collection right after and it really contrasted weirdly seemed much more on point

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

Is there any chance he comes with a different hand just for that option?

Spoilers for Gaunt's Ghosts...
    It's been a while since I've read through the Ghost books, how many of these guys are actually dead in the story so far?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I remember when the minis first came out as I was suprised they had minis for Milo and Dorden but I also remember the ugly toxic comments of the generic ghosts had a female mini of women don't belong in the guard and so on
    As I hopped and still hope when they redo the guard they have female members {I also wish if they reboot the guard to do the different worlds Mordia-Tallaran-Armageddon so on} to have them so you can swap the parts around to make your own custom squads [with the mono pose craze they are on lately I kind of hope they do but have little hope}

see317 wrote: »

It's been a while since I've read through the Ghost books, how many of these guys are actually dead in the story so far?

Losses are significant

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Any IG regiment that completes a mission without heavy losses is to be investigated for heresy.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I do like Abnett's take on the setting where everything isn't quite so pinned to level 11 maximum stupidity, like people survive a demon and it's like "good job here's a blanket" rather than everybody gets executed and the executors are executed and ten thousand psychics are boiled alive to memory wipe the solar system or whatever

Hobnail wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

Losses are significant
    After Anarch there's barely enough Ghosts left to form an honor guard for Guant in his new position as second in command of the Sabbat World's Crusade. Many major characters died.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    i got rid of all my 40k stuff. i still have a few warhammer fantasy figures about, for playing some mordheim or the like, but i am done with wargaming.

Heresy!

I was thinking of swapping 40k for heroin. Should be cheaper and less detrimental to my health.

Sorry, that was a typo. It should be heroine.

Sick of sause fest marines. Let's get some mighy ladies here instead.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Heresy!

Sorry, that was a typo. It should be heroine.

Sick of sause fest marines. Let's get some mighy ladies here instead.

sisters are currently the second best army, thanks to drukhari being horribly laughably busted

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I do like Abnett's take on the setting where everything isn't quite so pinned to level 11 maximum stupidity, like people survive a demon and it's like "good job here's a blanket" rather than everybody gets executed and the executors are executed and ten thousand psychics are boiled alive to memory wipe the solar system or whatever

My impression was that it's also partly a shift in policy over time. Like, early on the Inquisition still thought it was possible to suppress any knowledge of daemons whatsoever, so they did purges after a victory for secrecy. But as time went on, the futility of that became increasingly apparent, so the purges began to 'only' be used when there were concerns of lingering chaos-corruption or other heresies.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I think the current canon is that full on purges are only when Grey Knights get involved because 1) they only get involved when things are the worst and 2) they're top secret and need to hide themselves? It's still super stupid. Grey Knights have a lot of stupid fluff like that, which is mostly attributed to Matt Ward and later writers have been trying their hardest to smooth out the wrinkles he left.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The Grey Knights are like the last Hail Mary though right? Secrecy and purges at least makes some sense there.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    grey knights are when there is a problem that needs solving that a few dead criminals and some fire can't handle

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I think the current canon is that full on purges are only when Grey Knights get involved because 1) they only get involved when things are the worst and 2) they're top secret and need to hide themselves? It's still super stupid. Grey Knights have a lot of stupid fluff like that, which is mostly attributed to Matt Ward and later writers have been trying their hardest to smooth out the wrinkles he left.

Guard regiments being exterminated and Astartes being mind-wiped after prolonged contact with Chaos far predates Matt Ward

The only detailed example we have for this now is after the (first? Don't remember) War of Armageddon when Angron himself rocked up and the Space Wolves told the inquisitor responsible that they could either not do that or they could get their shit kicked in and the inquisitor backed down

uH3IcEi.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It could (can) make sense if written well.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The old fluff with the purges was from when just seeing a genuine rune of a chaos god could drive people insane instantly, and hearing daemons described was just as bad, while actually being in the presence of a daemon would basically cause automatic and inevitable physical and mental corruption unless you were incredibly strong willed. Basically, unless you’re a Grey Knight who is constantly chanting prayers and also covered in blessed armour and you fight a daemon? You’re already dying of tentacle-cancer even if it’s not obvious yet, and the best you can hope for is that the inevitable mutation doesn’t affect your mind before you die or else you will go insane and start summoning more daemons using the corpses of your friends and coworkers as foci. Even then, if the physical mutation gets too extreme before your inevitable purging in holy fire, you’ll die screaming anyway as the daemons use you as a focus to breach reality.

Against a threat like that, utterly insidious and impossible to guarantee a cure (even the mind-wiped were to be subject to constant surveillance for the rest of their lives, in case they missed a bit) giving a regiment or two the Emperor’s Mercy right now while a) they’re still sane enough to join the Emperor in death and b) you know where they all are, was the only practical solution since mind-wiping 10,000 ordinary humans then letting them return to their lives (you know, after they re-learn what forks are for and stuff) while also setting up to monitor them all 24/7 forever is impossible and failure could cost you the planet. More if they move between worlds.

The apparent threat of chaos is much reduced these days though, so the Armageddon solution seems extreme and the stuff the grey knights get up to in their spare time seems like pointless busy-work…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Ya'll are forgetting that also the later in the timeline you get, the more the big E is like a god. There's real protection in faith, to a degree. Hearing the name of a chosen or Chaos god can hurt but your faith in the emperor can carry you through it. Faith saved[saved] Gereon.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Personally, I like it when 40K is super-dumb and turned up past 11 with the knob broken off. Like I get it that it's not even remotely feasible or sustainable that the second someone whispers the word "daemon", a full retinue of Inquisitors shows up and Exterminatuses every planet in that solar system, but that's... fine, for me. I don't need all the numbers on the left side of this equation to add up to the numbers on the right side, I want over-the-top nonsense. I can see how that kind of stuff would be irritating when trying to tell some kind of a consistent story, and I did enjoy all the Eisenhorn novels, which dial things down to a much more sustainable level.

Not disparaging anyone preferring a more cohesive and toned down 40K, mind you!

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Personally, I like it when 40K is super-dumb and turned up past 11 with the knob broken off. Like I get it that it's not even remotely feasible or sustainable that the second someone whispers the word "daemon", a full retinue of Inquisitors shows up and Exterminatuses every planet in that solar system, but that's... fine, for me. I don't need all the numbers on the left side of this equation to add up to the numbers on the right side, I want over-the-top nonsense. I can see how that kind of stuff would be irritating when trying to tell some kind of a consistent story, and I did enjoy all the Eisenhorn novels, which dial things down to a much more sustainable level.

Not disparaging anyone preferring a more cohesive and toned down 40K, mind you!

Yeah I’m the other side of the coin. I love imagining the Command Relationships and logistical nightmare of deploying Space Marines. ADB’s take on them is the pinnacle of the art for me. But I feel you: the beauty of the setting is that depending on who’s telling the story it can be that heavy grim dark metal or the hard(er) sci-fi rock & roll, or even some off-the-wall noir jazz but it’s all still Warhammer. The only heresy in my opinion is trying to define Warhammer as his one thing. Trying to meet all those goals in something like the codex lore entry is not easy.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
This discussion has been closed.