As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Mount Sprue

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Mount Sprue

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    jvdmrjvdmr Registered User new member
    Tycho definitely knows this as a warhammer player, that is indeed not how it works.

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Buying gunpla from a show you haven't watched yet is just an excuse to watch a new show. "Ooh, this Shining Gundam looks nice, guess I have to watch G Gundam now."

• Options
    AsheramAsheram Registered User regular
    Ah, the Pile of Shame.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Do Gundams also have to be painted or no?

Cause yeah, the next pile of shame is "I have so many assembled models waiting for paint. More than I'll ever be able to address in a lifetime."

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Cause yeah, the next pile of shame is "I have so many assembled models waiting for paint. More than I'll ever be able to address in a lifetime."

Nearly all Gundam kits come molded in colored plastic, with increasingly show-accurate levels of color-separation among the sprues as you go up in quality grade. IIRC, even the 'entry-level' High Grade kits now-days often look pretty good out of the box, just put on the decals and spray on a matte or satin finish to protect them and get rid of the plastic sheen.

That doesn't stop the more dedicated enthusiasts from painting kits for various reasons, most often because they want their own original color scheme.

Edit: Panel lining is a popular middle-ground between painting or not, which can really add visual pop to the details in the mold.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    For those who didn't know exactly what panel lining is (myself included):
    https://www.gunpla101.com/panel-lining-for-gunpla-101/

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

They don't have to be. Or you could do something like this crazy shit:

GDT1985 on
  • Options
    Azur3flameAzur3flame Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Can confirm. I have an RX78-2 Perfect Grade that has been in the box, waiting to be built, for a year and a half. The local gaming shop had it, I wanted it, and had the money for it. Goal is to make space and build it. But right now that space is also for D&D stuff and my 3d-printer. But the kit is there and I can build it. Need space and time, but at least the thing is mine to do when I can. Y'know, eventually.

I used to have a Perfect Grade Wing Zero Custom, but it was eaten by the forces of Moving From One Residence To Another. I have most of the pieces but pretty sure I just need to throw them out, call it misspent youth, and maybe try it again when life settles down a bit and I know I'm not likely to move just because a lease is up.

(clarification: I did build the Wing Zero. It just got kind of... un-built?)

Azur3flame on
  • Options
    ComradeCousinComradeCousin Registered User new member
    As an addict to 40k, Age of Sigmar, Necromunda, and Star Wars: Legion, I feel personally attacked by this.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    All hobbies have the Pile of Shame. Two years ago I spent $200 on a new nailer, an extra fine scroll blade for my jig saw, and a stack of boards. I'm going to make some cool shelf with movable bookends for my wife.

The nailers still in the box, the blade still in the blister pack, the wood is still standing in the corner of my workroom, and my wife is using an old coffee maker as a bookend.

• Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    Try this: Organize the kits in order of what you most want to assemble to least want to assemble. Then have a second person start at the low end. Race to see who can assemble the most kits.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Try this: Organize the kits in order of what you most want to assemble to least want to assemble. Then have a second person start at the low end. Race to see who can assemble the most kits.

I read this, and in my mind I saw it as a movie montage with the following:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADYrf9QIeU

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    As soon as Gabe discovers Build Fighters, things are gonna get real good. It's the perfect mix: His love of Models and his Loveate of VR!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Nearly all Gundam kits come molded in colored plastic, with increasingly show-accurate levels of color-separation among the sprues as you go up in quality grade. IIRC, even the 'entry-level' High Grade kits now-days often look pretty good out of the box, just put on the decals and spray on a matte or satin finish to protect them and get rid of the plastic sheen.

That doesn't stop the more dedicated enthusiasts from painting kits for various reasons, most often because they want their own original color scheme.

Edit: Panel lining is a popular middle-ground between painting or not, which can really add visual pop to the details in the mold.

I have a bunch of older kits I assembled before I knew proper sprue cutting methods that I want to paint in order to hide my past mistakes. That has prevented me from assembling any of my still boxed models until I learn to paint. This has been ongoing for about 15 years now.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772