As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In a world, where [Trailers] are fun...

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Just like the Kingkiller books themselves, that damn liar...

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »

I would say those are the best two of the bunch, cool.

I have all his novels. And also all his short story collections. And the sequel to Clarke's Meeting with Medusa he wrote together with Stephen Baxter.

In short, I kind of like him. Some story like Slow Bullets or Diamond Dogs would be awesome to see in animated form.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Saw a trailer for this on youtube on Apple TV, Jupiter's Legacy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY3IAqm-gpE

On TV the CGI looks bad and I thought they were going for a Robert Rodriguez Sin City style, but I don't think that's the case. I only read the first volume because of Quitley's art then gave up because I just lost interest because it felt like Millar repackaging stuff he already did in other stories. There's not a lot of story to begin with so maybe they won't pad it lolz who am I kidding.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    There are four things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, the anger of a gentle man, and the Netflix adaptation of your favorite things.

Your post legit got me to check if there is a Netflix adaptation of Kingkiller Chronicles. I am relieved to report there isn't.

I think our was HBO that was working on that (and a theatrical thing). Seems to have stalled, though.

I'd hope that HBO learned their lesson RE: Adapting incomplete works.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Jupiter's Legacy looks different from the original book, like they're starting with the later books that deal with the earlier story? Just don't fuck up the "Mommy hears everything." scene.

Nosf wrote: »
    Jupiter's Legacy looks different from the original book, like they're starting with the later books that deal with the earlier story? Just don't fuck up the "Mommy hears everything." scene.

imdb seems to spoil it. Real spoilers if you didn't read the comic
    Duhmel and Bibb are only showing 1 episode they're in out of 8, so it looks like they kill mom and dad in the first episode and I guess the rest will be in the time skip.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    There are four things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, the anger of a gentle man, and the Netflix adaptation of your favorite things.

Your post legit got me to check if there is a Netflix adaptation of Kingkiller Chronicles. I am relieved to report there isn't.

I think our was HBO that was working on that (and a theatrical thing). Seems to have stalled, though.

They may have realized "he'll finish writing it before we catch up" is a fools game.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Marvel sprinkling a few teasers for future movies into a bit of a montage with a Stan Lee monologue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpxoFcdORI&

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Dat Fantastic 4 tease.

No X-Men, though. Maybe 2025 to give it some breathing room.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Dat Fantastic 4 tease.

No X-Men, though. Maybe 2025 to give it some breathing room.

People will still say it's too soon.

I'm not one of 'em, but we can basically just start working on the pool for how many pages will be spent breathlessly arguing the matter, and how many thread kicks it takes to end the conflict.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    just like spiderman, at this point the FF's origin story is pretty well known and hopefully they devote like maybe 5 minutes to it in film and just jump straight into adventures
    the question is whether or not doom is in the picture right off the bat or not

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    just like spiderman, at this point the FF's origin story is pretty well known and hopefully they devote like maybe 5 minutes to it in film and just jump straight into adventures
    the question is whether or not doom is in the picture right off the bat or not

10-15 minutes. Quick character intro, have them already be famous and the world watching their experiment. 5 minutes in the experiment starts. By minute 15 they have their powers and are worldwide celebrities. May work really well if the Avengers are still on the outs, Earth would definitely be ready for a new team.

Also, it should have a Spider-man cameo. Just with Johnny, or maybe trying to join and Reed going "no, you're just a kid!"

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    FF should get the same level of attention to their origin story SpiderMan did. Someone saying, "Wait, so you got hit by cosmic rays and it gave you super powers?" With Reed starting into a long-winded discussion about how it wasn't "cosmic rays" and Ben overriding him with, "Yeah, pretty much." And then nothing else is said about it.

I feel like the more established supers there are in your universe, the less interesting origin stories become. Ones about people taking up the mantles of retired/killed heroes or villains redeeming themselves, maybe, but "This weird thing happened and now I have powers" is the same story every time.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    FF should get the same level of attention to their origin story SpiderMan did. Someone saying, "Wait, so you got hit by cosmic rays and it gave you super powers?" With Reed starting into a long-winded discussion about how it wasn't "cosmic rays" and Ben overriding him with, "Yeah, pretty much." And then nothing else is said about it.

I feel like the more established supers there are in your universe, the less interesting origin stories become. Ones about people taking up the mantles of retired/killed heroes or villains redeeming themselves, maybe, but "This weird thing happened and now I have powers" is the same story every time.

Counterpoint: I love the Reed/Doom origin story dynamic and feel their relationship should be a highlight of the new MCU film

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I really want a comic-style Doom in a movie.

pMOIJPB.jpg

i wonder if marvel will interpret him to have an english accent as would be typical for evil doctors or actually have him have a more eastern european/baltic accent which would be more accurate

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    i wonder if marvel will interpret him to have an english accent as would be typical for evil doctors or actually have him have a more eastern european/baltic accent which would be more accurate

Eastern European is the new evil british accent.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    i dont care about the first doctor strange movie where he played some no-name jobber villain

give me mads mikkelsen as Victor Von Doom

Any buff guy in the suit. Peter Stormare as the voice.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I'd hope that HBO learned their lesson RE: Adapting incomplete works.

I don't think that's the problem, I think it's that the people they had to finish the work were uh

bad

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    my hot take is that FF is the lamest of the Marvel legacy comics

Eternals is pretty shitty, up there with Inhumans trying to be fetch mutants.

Fantastic Four actually probably has the most iconic runs by creators in their primes more than any other series. At least in Marvel for sure.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

with modern effects you don't even need a buff guy in a suit, just Perter Stormare in mocap pajamas.

• TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Trailer for Paul Verhoeven's new film Benedetta. Looks like nunsploitation is back on the menu!

(spoilered for titties)

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Sorry, all that trailer makes me think of is this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuziQsUrbeM&t=16s

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Yeah - Verhoeven probably thought the trailers in front of Tropic Thunder were dares to the film industry to be brave enough to make the films depicted.

It's almost on the nose.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Maybe it's supposed to be making a satirical statement like Verhoeven's other films

Nuns are ripe for being taken down a peg - finally, somebody brave enough to make a statement about whatever he's making a statement about

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Maybe it's supposed to be making a satirical statement like Verhoeven's other films

Nuns are ripe for being taken down a peg - finally, somebody brave enough to make a statement about whatever he's making a statement about

The film is based on the non fiction book Immodest Acts about the church's documented investigation of Sister Benedetta Carlini and is apparently the earliest documented case of lesbianism in modern western history.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

The film is based on the non fiction book Immodest Acts about the church's documented investigation of Sister Benedetta Carlini and is apparently the earliest documented case of lesbianism in modern western history.

Hopefully they'll skip the boring investigation stuff in favour of lesbian nuns.

Which is all I ask of all my 'based on a true story' investigative journalism films.

• KanaKana Registered User regular

Also a bit of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgaLlP0xmqE

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEfIGktbwmI

This already came out in Japan earlier this year, looks like Netflix is just doing worldwide distribution. Alls I knows is Sailor Jupiter is best girl.

• Shakey1245Shakey1245 Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Also a bit of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgaLlP0xmqE

Which is very reminiscent of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd_nsFJAXV4

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEfIGktbwmI

This already came out in Japan earlier this year, looks like Netflix is just doing worldwide distribution. Alls I knows is Sailor Jupiter is best girl.

I watched a few episodes of the Sailor Moon remake and wasn't impressed (especially with the art direction compared to the original show), but the adaptation of this arc in the original anime was the worst season of the entire show, so I'll give these movies a shot.

EDIT: Now that I skip around the trailer a bit, did they change the art style from Sailor Moon Crystal?

Hexmage-PA on

a buff Victor Von Doom goes against the whole point of the character

he's a nerdy geek that got horribly disfigured and only eats what fits through his mouth vents
    4921562-swtoo1.jpg

Zavian wrote: »

he's a nerdy geek that got horribly disfigured and only eats what fits through his mouth vents
    4921562-swtoo1.jpg

Okay, but his armor at least makes him look buff. And I assume the actor would need to do action scenes requiring some physical prowess since he's not going to be wearing actual super armor.

edited May 2021

4921562-swtoo1.jpg

Okay, but his armor at least makes him look buff. And I assume the actor would need to do action scenes requiring some physical prowess since he's not going to be wearing actual super armor.

if anything, I kind of think going for a more automated mechanical movement for Doom would make more sense than some agile Iron Man type movements. Also, there absolutely better be Doombots

Zavian on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They need a redo of Ghost Rider.

Krathoon wrote: »

I want Nick Cage Ghost Rider to be the King of Hell in the MCU (that's what Johnny Blaze is in the comics now).

does anyone really need reasons for why Nick Cage as the King of Hell Ghost Rider would be fucking awesome in the MCU?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

I want Nick Cage Ghost Rider to be the King of Hell in the MCU (that's what Johnny Blaze is in the comics now).

does anyone really need reasons for why Nick Cage as the King of Hell Ghost Rider would be fucking awesome in the MCU?

"Alright Mr Cage, you're the King of Hell. You sit here."
    "Got it"
    "Here's the script"
    "Fuck your script, I'm the King of Hell. Roll camera."

Doom does not eat the dog

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
This discussion has been closed.