As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] Another Big Sale to see out this thread!

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Meh. Min-maxing using base game equipment was already a thing.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    trying the show for the first time

how the hell am I supposed to hit the ball

Don't be afraid to lower the difficulty on hitting

I have it on beginner lol
    I like the pitch guessing mechanic, but that seems to only be on Road To The Show mode

I had to use one of the zoomed in cameras for hitting as well just to see the pitches better.

Naturally, I'll have 1 game where I go 3 for 4 followed by 3 games where I don't get on base once lol

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Hitting is hard

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    30% success rate = HOF

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/prgDiyd2eIs

Looks incredible, I can’t believe they got it to 60 and 4K. Definitely going to play this again

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    dangit, i don't think it's on gamepass anymore

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    trying the show for the first time

how the hell am I supposed to hit the ball

Don't be afraid to lower the difficulty on hitting

I'd still recommend to not put it on the easiest setting which is just swinging without having to use a directional part. But literally it just takes time to learn how to hit, and its the hardest part of the game for sure.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Is difficulty distinct from input method? (Full analog, directional, etc)

edited May 2021
    dporowski wrote: »

Yes, input method is how you interact, when you play you select from rookie, veteran, allstar, etc. Which controls how big your swing zone is, and how fast the ball comes at you. Which can lead to like playing a challenge on rookie and striking out because your swinging too early. Also don't even use contact, or power, use normal (a on the xbone).

Also one help with challenges, bunts count as hits, so say you have to hit a homerun and 2 other hits with Bryce Harper (todays daily) restart until you get the homer, and then drop two bunts in the shift with Bryce and coast to victory.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Also turn dynamic batting difficulty off. It is hard enough learning to hit without pitch speed and plate coverage varying wildly cause the game yoyos you from veteran to legendary and everything in between.

edited May 2021
    Man finally getting around to play resident evil 7 and while some of it is fantastic, there’s so much annoying things. Pretty much every section you’re forced to die in cos you usually have no idea what to do, and the shooting and aiming is so cumbersome. Like I get that’s the point, and the enemies are also slow, but I’ve died more so far than I have in like every other resident evil game combined. And just doing sewuences over and over ruins their initial impact. Like after the 5th time doing something I’m no longer scared I’m just pissed

There’s loads that’s great here but I wish there was more like environmental ways to take out enemies, everything just being a really frustrating attempt at headshots or just turning around and running to get distance is kind of dull compared to the framing and setting which feels great

Prohass on
    Preacher wrote: »

Yes, input method is how you interact, when you play you select from rookie, veteran, allstar, etc. Which controls how big your swing zone is, and how fast the ball comes at you. Which can lead to like playing a challenge on rookie and striking out because your swinging too early. Also don't even use contact, or power, use normal (a on the xbone).

Also one help with challenges, bunts count as hits, so say you have to hit a homerun and 2 other hits with Bryce Harper (todays daily) restart until you get the homer, and then drop two bunts in the shift with Bryce and coast to victory.

Ima try to set it to "teeball" I think. Hope it's got "teeball".

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Man finally getting around to play resident evil 7 and while some of it is fantastic, there’s so much annoying things. Pretty much every section you’re forced to die in cos you usually have no idea what to do, and the shooting and aiming is so cumbersome. Like I get that’s the point, and the enemies are also slow, but I’ve died more so far than I have in like every other resident evil game combined. And just doing sewuences over and over ruins their initial impact. Like after the 5th time doing something I’m no longer scared I’m just pissed

There’s loads that’s great here but I wish there was more like environmental ways to take out enemies, everything just being a really frustrating attempt at headshots or just turning around and running to get distance is kind of dull compared to the framing and setting which feels great

Maybe you're already doing this, but don't forget to guard predictable damage. Other RE's have dodging, 7 has the guard.

edited May 2021
    Yeah guard helps but there’s a few sewuences early on where the balancing act between “confused and fumbling for effect” and “confused and fumbling in a bad way” goes too hard to the latter.

Also what’s with the choice where
    you have to choose between the girlfriend/wife you came here to rescue and the stranger who’s been helpful and all but is still literally a stranger. Like even if there’s some twist and the wife is the wrong choice, you’d have to be an insane asshole to go “hey sorry honey but I like this new chick better”

Prohass on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Anyone here use Media Player on Xbox? Moreover, does anyone use a remote with it? Can you use a remote with it?

Until just recently, we'd been using the media player on PS4, but the PS5 doesn't have one and you can't use the PS4's on it, so we're using the Xbox's now. But I'd rather have a dedicated remote.

If so, any recommendations? Had my eye on one Windows Central recommended, but apparently it doesn't turn off by itself.

Would this suit your needs? It works for all my Xbox media requirements.

https://www.amazon.com/Talon-Media-Remote-Control-Blu-ray-Streaming/dp/B01GOK34SO/ref=mp_s_a_1_3

That's the one WC recommended, but reviews seemed all over the place. If you recommend it, I may give it a shot.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Anyone here use Media Player on Xbox? Moreover, does anyone use a remote with it? Can you use a remote with it?

Until just recently, we'd been using the media player on PS4, but the PS5 doesn't have one and you can't use the PS4's on it, so we're using the Xbox's now. But I'd rather have a dedicated remote.

If so, any recommendations? Had my eye on one Windows Central recommended, but apparently it doesn't turn off by itself.

https://www.amazon.com/Talon-Media-Remote-Control-Blu-ray-Streaming/dp/B01GOK34SO/ref=mp_s_a_1_3

That's the one WC recommended, but reviews seemed all over the place. If you recommend it, I may give it a shot.

I have an official Microsoft one and a Talon one. I can happily recommend both, but the Talon is my daily driver and is the one I'd point to first. Depending on how you use it, the extra buttons may or may not be useful - the MS one also provides all the basic functionality you need, really.

Worth noting both light up upon detecting motion, which does impact their battery life compared to other remotes (it's still not bad, better than the PS3 remote that uses Bluetooth, in my experience) but does make them super nice in the dark. The Microsoft one has a curved bottom so a good wobble can set off its light; the Talon has a flat bottom so it's a non-issue there.

Jazz on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I have an official Microsoft one and a Talon one. I can happily recommend both, but the Talon is my daily driver and is the one I'd point to first. Depending on how you use it, the extra buttons may or may not be useful - the MS one also provides all the basic functionality you need, really.

Worth noting both light up upon detecting motion, which does impact their battery life compared to other remotes (it's still not bad, better than the PS3 remote that uses Bluetooth, in my experience) but does make them super nice in the dark. The Microsoft one has a curved bottom so a good wobble can set off its light; the Talon has a flat bottom so it's a non-issue there.

The only issue with the old model Talon remote (aside from "I have tiny hands and wish it were smaller," I suppose, but even I don't think it's too big and my hands are hardly huge), is that the back casing (which allows battery access, can quickly become loose and could probably use a better fixture point. Apparently this wasn't really addressed in the revised Talon, which dropped the TV tuner functionality? Avoid playing with it unless you're changing the battery, or even put a little double-sided tape inside, and that becomes a nonissue.

Also remember that it is an infrared remote (hence its much better response time than most Playstation BT remotes)--so if something is obstructing the tiny receiver window on your Series console (in the sync button), it will, in fact, not work.

edited May 2021
    Yeah, Xboxen have always used IR remotes. Good: better battery life, doesn't need pairing; bad: needs line of sight. Speaking of which, neither the MS or Talon are picky about the latter, which is nice (unlike, say, my DVR remote).

I'm still not completely sure how they hid the sensor on the original Xbox One, clever bit of design, but it's there (right next to the disc slot IIRC). I don't mind it being shown, though, like on the One X or original 360; but putting it in the sync button for the Series definitely adds to the minimalism they were going for (and is a subtle nod back to the slim 360 which did the same).

Jazz on
    edited May 2021
    I don't know how you could miss the plastic oval on the 1X, but it's right there!

I had (still have, in a box, I think) a big, white plastic official remote for the 360. Back when I used it for Netflix and ESPN3 and such. It was a terrific, full-featured remote with a push-here-to-see-what-input-is-active light. Then it stopped working (after plenty of years of good use). I replaced it with a slick, black plastic official remote that does half as much and is absolutely not user friendly.

Dealing with controller timeouts were better after that.

EDIT:
    Oh, original X1. Pictures show it next to the eject button.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2021
    I never got the full size 360 remote, my first one was a launch box that included that mini version as a bonus freebie. That thing served me well for a very long time; I pretty much wore it out. Still got it, though.

Also, yes, I know, that's why I said "I don't mind it being shown, though, like on the One X..."

Jazz on
    Tried Dragon Quest builders, I wanted a more structured minecraft, but early on the game feels maybe too structured? I dunno feels like the game is holding my hand and I really can't explore at all, and I dunno if I like what I can do anyway. Oh well free to try!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Tried Dragon Quest builders, I wanted a more structured minecraft, but early on the game feels maybe too structured? I dunno feels like the game is holding my hand and I really can't explore at all, and I dunno if I like what I can do anyway. Oh well free to try!

It's "Dragon Quest but you build stuff", not "Minecraft with a plot", if that helps. It's fun (not that I finished, but when do I ever) though. You get way more recipes and stuff as you open up the plot.

The Show gave me Ohtani for my diamond dynasty, who immediately pitched 7 innings with 1 run and 14 strike outs while knocking 2 home runs.

Docshifty wrote: »
    The Show gave me Ohtani for my diamond dynasty, who immediately pitched 7 innings with 1 run and 14 strike outs while knocking 2 home runs.

Make sure to to the monthly tops thing to get some real banger cards.

Also hilariously there is now a Relief Pitcher version of Anthony Rizzo.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Holy shit in the Nightmare dlc for Resident Evil 7 is there any trick to the final Jack incarnation? Like vulnerable/invulnerable states? Cos I shut that fucker with like 20+ magnum rounds and like 8 shotgun shots, and finally went down to 2 grenades. What a son of a bitch.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the input about the remotes, everyone! I was also contemplating the official one (though I couldn't find it on Microsoft's own website), but I'm under the impression that the Talon is generally better?

As for 360, I think this is the one I have.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!

'Tops' or 'Topps'?

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

It's "Dragon Quest but you build stuff", not "Minecraft with a plot", if that helps. It's fun (not that I finished, but when do I ever) though. You get way more recipes and stuff as you open up the plot.

I'm really enjoying it, I think it'll keep me busy until Subnautica Below Zero drops.

The game is opening up now, got lots of new building parts - but I'm sticking with my tried and tested building style of rectangular boxes.

I do wish time stopped when in your village though - it's a pain trying to built stuff when you have to eat, fight off monsters, etc.

I did just build a small bathroom, though, so I can start collecting poop to use.

Pro tip - build several bathrooms to maximise poop collection.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Dear DQB2, please let me skip this excretable tutorial and cinematic, I just want to play the game already.

M-Vickers wrote: »

I'm really enjoying it, I think it'll keep me busy until Subnautica Below Zero drops.

The game is opening up now, got lots of new building parts - but I'm sticking with my tried and tested building style of rectangular boxes.

I do wish time stopped when in your village though - it's a pain trying to built stuff when you have to eat, fight off monsters, etc.

I did just build a small bathroom, though, so I can start collecting poop to use.

Eventually your villagers just get to the point where they handle shit. That's one aspect I really like, that your villagers will start doing all the basic maintenance like farming/planting/harvesting/feeding/defense, the busywork. All you have to do is like, plant a sign. Maybe give them a sword, you know?

edited May 2021

'Tops' or 'Topps'?

Sorry Topps, like the baseball cards.

And again a tip for some of the multi hit challenges, the computer is absolutely terrible at defending against bunts and most of the players you get have over 50 speed so they can leg it out.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited May 2021
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Eventually your villagers just get to the point where they handle shit. That's one aspect I really like, that your villagers will start doing all the basic maintenance like farming/planting/harvesting/feeding/defense, the busywork. All you have to do is like, plant a sign. Maybe give them a sword, you know?

My villagers all have spiked swords, and they wreck enemies during attacks.

I messed up and built a big hall on the flat area next to the water pool.

So now when enemies attack, they go through the hall, and my villagers get trapped underneath it.

I also wish I’d just levelled the entire village at the starts - as it’s all up and down, my rooms and fields are all over the place, and I have lots of wasted space.

Still lesson learned for my next village.

I think I’m nearly ready to leave the second island, as my village and character are max level, I’m currently stuck
    building a fucking tree.
    it’s a massive pain, like building a Lego set on a computer using a joypad.

I’m looking forward to building real beds - my people are all sleeping on straw mats...

M-Vickers on
    The tree building will rapidly, rapidly improve.
    Eventually they'll just build the shit for you, all you gotta do is get the mats.

edited May 2021
    The tree building will rapidly, rapidly improve.
    Eventually they'll just build the shit for you, all you gotta do is get the mats.

Hilariously, when I'd actually finished the first part, I noticed there was a quest from the guy who wants to be mayor, telling me not to worry about building it, as the villagers would do the work, immediately follow by him congratulating the villagers in their hard work. I shouted at the TV. Prick.

Back on the first island, the game is a lot more freeform now.

I really, really wish there was a "Malkith, buddy, please stay 6 feet behind when I'm building and please stop running up to me in first person mode and blocking my view" button.

My new place is taking shape. Growing some wheat, got a nice big shared bedroom, got a restaurant, and a nice row of toilets collecting poop, which I'll need since I'm trying to turn a desert green.

M-Vickers on
    edited May 2021
    So this year I bought an Xbox series x, a new computer, a ps5 and a switch. I have a million AAA critically acclaimed games to play.

So what am I playing now?

Alice in wonderland Madness Returns...the old middling 360 platformer, via gamepass

I have no idea why. I love the art and writing though

You also get a different dress for every new level. I love when games do that!

Prohass on

'Tops' or 'Topps'?

And again a tip for some of the multi hit challenges, the computer is absolutely terrible at defending against bunts and most of the players you get have over 50 speed so they can leg it out.

Yeah this is the monthly rewards program. They can be a bit of a pain, but they have some beastly cards. Like finishing just this month should out you at most of a mid to high 80s line up.

Also! There is a gift package in the store for another week. Has like 8 packs, I think around 4 or 5 are gold and diamond players, and the rest are gold and diamond skills and equipment.

'Tops' or 'Topps'?

Yeah this is the monthly rewards program. They can be a bit of a pain, but they have some beastly cards. Like finishing just this month should out you at most of a mid to high 80s line up.

Also! There is a gift package in the store for another week. Has like 8 packs, I think around 4 or 5 are gold and diamond players, and the rest are gold and diamond skills and equipment.

I had the best pack luck ever this weekend. Finished the pujols map for 10 packs, and got 3! Diamonds including acuna the second most expensive player in the game.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited May 2021
    My God does it suck going through the exchange to get rid of cards.

Oh you have 8 silvers you wanna trade in? Well flip through these 20 pages to find them. It is just like a binder of cards! Isn't that awesome? No, you can't organize it the way you want.

Docshifty on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    So this year I bought an Xbox series x, a new computer, a ps5 and a switch. I have a million AAA critically acclaimed games to play.

So what am I playing now?

Alice in wonderland Madness Returns...the old middling 360 platformer, via gamepass

I have no idea why. I love the art and writing though

You also get a different dress for every new level. I love when games do that!

The core of it is actually really extremely sick. Like, the fact that dodging cancels every animation in existence means it's practically a super responsive, crunchy character action hack and slash. The development of the mystery of the underlying plot and psychology is also fun
    The problem is that it's stretched super thin over a bunch of levels that are always a touch too long, and even though it does evolve with more tools over time it doesn't do it frequently enough to keep it feeling fresh

My God does it suck going through the exchange to get rid of cards.

Oh you have 8 silvers you wanna trade in? Well flip through these 20 pages to find them. It is just like a binder of cards! Isn't that awesome? No, you can't organize it the way you want.

Yeah selling off my dupes is useful for stubs but obnoxious as fuck.

Speaking of obnoxious god damn do these mad bum challenges blow. My last one is 14 freaking ks in one game

pleasepaypreacher.net