As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A vaccum suggestion thread. Do I still just get a dyson?

IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
Our cheap little hoover from target just went kaput, but we have a cat and his scratchers leave little cardboard flecks all over the place, so I need a new one post haste. The old thread I found from 2013 is all dysons up and down, but maybe in nearly 10 years other brands have overtaken them in quality?

We are, Vaccines and covid willing, going to get hitched in 2022, and a dyson seems like a great wedding registry item considering their price tags, but I could be talked into the investment

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Dysons are great and I would happily take one if it were gifted to me, but we've been going with Sharks for years. They last quite a while if you don't have a household full of people with long hair and they're a small fraction of the cost.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    We've been using a Shark since 2016 and have been pretty happy with it.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Going to 3rd a Shark. Mine has been going strong for 5 years now and picks up dirt and animal hair better than any cheaper vacuum I've had.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    what specific models do you folks have, if you dont mind elaborating?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Personally, I have a Dyson V10 mini vacuum, and at this point I really recommend going with the mini vacuums with wall mount charger bases (I keep mine in the laundry room) over larger plugin models, regardless of maker. The fact that using it is just a matter of grabbing it off the charger and running it, without having to lug it out of a closet and unwind the cord (and wind it back up when done) makes it more likely that you will use the vacuum, especially when dealing with kitty messes.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So I just looked and it turns out we've been using Dirt Devils, not Sharks. We do actually have a household full of people with long hair (one waist-length) as well as a long-haired cat, nothing we get is going to last longer than two years. Like, I'm just being realistic here. No matter what we get I need to take out the brush and cut all the hair out of it at least every six months or so. By the time we're done with them, they don't owe us anything. We got 5 or 6 years out of a really nice Dyson once (with a repair in there somewhere), but it's so much easier to clean one out till it gives up after 1 1/2 to 2 years and then run to the store and drop $100 so I can go home and finish vacuuming, especially when it's about the same amount of money over time.

My parents used Sharks for a while and liked them because they were cheap, but eventually got a Dyson because they don't have long hair or long-haired cats, and in that situation a Dyson will last much longer than a Shark.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    what specific models do you folks have, if you dont mind elaborating?

The one we got specifically was the Shark NV682. I like how modular it is. Doesn't look like they make it anymore, but they probably make something similar now.

• Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    I've got the Shark NV752 since at least 2-3 years ago and have been pretty happy with it. I would guess we paid somewhere between $250-$300 for it.

We've got a Great Pyrenees so we're cutting away tangled-up hairs from the brush every 3rd or 4th vacuuming and emptying the canister about 2-3 times per room under normal circumstances.

I've found the Shark to throw less dust and odors into the air when vacuuming than some of our previous devices, and have been happy with its ability to maintain suction power over the years that we have had it.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Personally, I have a Dyson V10 mini vacuum, and at this point I really recommend going with the mini vacuums with wall mount charger bases (I keep mine in the laundry room) over larger plugin models, regardless of maker. The fact that using it is just a matter of grabbing it off the charger and running it, without having to lug it out of a closet and unwind the cord (and wind it back up when done) makes it more likely that you will use the vacuum, especially when dealing with kitty messes.
    I have a Dyson V10 with a wall charger and I love not having to screw with a cord and bag. I too would recommend the mini vacuum. It makes vacuuming just a quick run down, empty the bin and done.

zepherin on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    We were gifted a shark pet edition back in 2012 for our wedding. Its still trucking along. I've probably spent $60-$70 on replacement filters and a couple spare hoses as they got brittle and broke, but besides general maintenance its been a pet hair sucking machine.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I got a Shark NV803 three years ago and it's been good with a dog. The ability to separate had really been great for stairs.

Ask for a Dyson fan, the weird fanless kind that blows cold and hot hair.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Love my Dyson (multi floor model), going strong since 2014.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    All of these suggestions suck! :biggrin:

Another vote for Shark here. I went over Consumer Reports reviews when I bought ours and two Sharks were their top rated models, higher than the Dysons. Been very happy with mine.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Also shark here, I use the vertex one currently, had a whole bunch of pet attachments, I think there's a cheaper one without it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Are we about to go Sharks and Jets (Dysons) in this thread?

zepherin on
  • Options
    Apparently! We are desperately trying to buy a house right now and we have short haired cat. All the shark love, in combination with not exactly knowing how much carpet is potentially in my future life, I think I will buy a shark for now.

If we end up in carpet land, I'll put a dyson in the wedding registry, and we'll have TWO vacuum cleaners like ROYALTY.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    We bought a Dyson V10 Animal when we bought our house and we regret it. The battery lasts like 8 minutes, the filter gets clogged constantly.. it blows. Our almost ten year old Shark has been great still, though. It's not a stick unfortunately, but it just keeps trucking along. When we first bought it we had five cats, now we have three cats, two dogs, and a kid, and it is still going.

So yeah. Shark all the way.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    I would go with the Shark. Dyson is forever tainted in my eyes following James Dyson's pro-Brexit/ HQ relocation shenanigans.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I have a Shark Navigator...not sure specific model number.

I just clean the filter and container every 6 months or so and it works great.

Really good price/performance is why I went Shark

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    It's spendy, but I LOVE my Miele, and it's amazing if you have any allergies etc. The filter bags are great, suction is amazing and it's incredibly quiet for the power. We've beat on ours for about 8 years thus far with nary an issue other than a filter change and other than scuffs on the side from dragging around the house it works like new.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    The Dyson battery models have serious limits. They are great for spot cleaning or very small areas (like a closet) but terrible for normal use. With ours, a Dyson V6 Animal, a single charge on the battery wouldn't get you through a regular sized room if it was anything less the mildly dirty. The Dyson Animal Ball we have though still works great and hasn't needed any maintenance at all in the ~6 years we've had it. It still sucks things out of our soon to be replaced carpet that would horrify you, but you have to deal with a cord.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Our apartment is only 700sqft so cords are not a huge concern for me. Right now, I'm looking at this shark:
    https://www.amazon.com/Navigator-Lift-Away-Technology-Anti-Allergen-ZU561/dp/B07FX7Z3NL/ref=psdc_510110_t4_B005KMDV9A

Edit: I got it. The target down the street had this model available for curbside pick up.

Thanks for all the help, here!

Iruka on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Please report back down the road on how the self-cleaning brushroll works. My wife has been wanting one for a while, and I have dismissed it as a gimmick that couldn't possibly work.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    A few years back I got a shark rotator true pet to replace an ailing Dyson and it has been a pet hair beast. I had been regularly vacuuming my old apartment in LA with the Dyson, and the first day I got the Shark I filled its canister 4 times going over my small 2 bedroom apartment. It was gross how much better it was at lifting away hair.

• Options

Iruka wrote: »
    Our apartment is only 700sqft so cords are not a huge concern for me. Right now, I'm looking at this shark:
    https://www.amazon.com/Navigator-Lift-Away-Technology-Anti-Allergen-ZU561/dp/B07FX7Z3NL/ref=psdc_510110_t4_B005KMDV9A

Edit: I got it. The target down the street had this model available for curbside pick up.

Thanks for all the help, here!
    Ramius wrote: »
    Please report back down the road on how the self-cleaning brushroll works. My wife has been wanting one for a while, and I have dismissed it as a gimmick that couldn't possibly work.

Seriously! While ours is still trucking along, Its about time to retire it to garage use and get a new house vacuum.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Miele!

We've had ours for about three years now; the upfront cost is expensive but they're supposedly bombproof.

I picked in large part on a vacuum salesman AMA on Reddit, who strongly advocated against Sharks (I've tried before and had one good and one crappy), and who also noted that dollar-for-dollar a bagged vacuum is going to out-perform and out-filter bagless.

Bags on the Miele are a nominal expense ($20 a couple years ago for a package and I still have most?) and they're HEPA rated.

Buy them off Amazon and wait for a sale, don't pay full price.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I have a Dyson cordless stick vacuum, maybe the V10. A single charge will do my whole condo, even when cranking to FULL POWERRRRR mode for the rug. And vacuuming my furniture. The battery is pretty well done at that point.

This is the third Dyson I've had, and the second cordless. This one is much better than my previous, so if you've had a bad Dyson, they've definitely improved.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I've got cheapo refurbished Dyson V6, mostly just to dip my toes in and see if we liked them without shelling out mondo-bucks. The battery is enough to do our 1k sq ft unit twice over (though 100% hardwood), though if we want to use the MAX mode for our rugs, we usually charge it for a little bit extra.

The one thing I will say that I've noticed is that any vacuum is only as good as how often you actually use it. Going cordless we found we ended up using it 2-3 times more often because it's just so much easier and faster to pick up and clean whatever we want and so everything just stays cleaner (even with a white fluffy dog who sheds his weight in fur every 2 days).

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Tough to beat a Miele and a bagged vacuum will do a better job and last longer than a bagless.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    To be honest I haven't thought about using a bagged vacuum in so many years I didn't even realize they were sold anymore.

edit: which isn't to say they're bad! I don't know anything about them, I haven't had one in my entire adult life.

ceres on
  • Options
    Six wrote: »
    Tough to beat a Miele and a bagged vacuum will do a better job and last longer than a bagless.

They are great but I don't like dragging the canister around behind me. For me I'm going to do the most vacuuming the easier it is to vacuum. One the battery tech in the cordless stuff gets a bit better I'm going to switch over to those.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Six wrote: »

They are great but I don't like dragging the canister around behind me. For me I'm going to do the most vacuuming the easier it is to vacuum. One the battery tech in the cordless stuff gets a bit better I'm going to switch over to those.

The hose is insanely long and miele's are crazy light. My 5 year old vacuums with it once in a blue moon with no issues. Also, way easier to get the hose into crevices when it's not attached to stuff (under couches etc.)

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    May be a little late to this party...but the best thing I ever did was stop buying cheap vacuums from department stores (yes, even Dyson), and go to an actual vacuum store and get a good, bagged vacuum. Yes it costs a little more, yes changing the bag every monthish is an added two minute step...but my carpet is so much cleaner since I made the switch.

This is doubly true if you have a heavy shedding pet like I do. Bag-less vacuums suck (and not in the good way) for heavy shedders.

e: I guess I should say what vacuum I have. I have a Royal Pro Series, and by doing the most basic maintenance (bag, filter, belt) it has lasted me several years now, with no issues, and is so much cleaner than my old bag less vacuums. When I bought it at the vacuum shop down the street they sold me a ton of bags, belts and replacement filters on the cheap so I still have years worth of those parts. I've spent maybe 30 minutes total on the maintenance to keep it in this state.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I know OP is done, but if you think bagged vacuums are strange, check out Rainbow vacuums that use water to filter the air:
    0i2ma79q9ycd.jpg

Been around for almost 100 years. Collectors go nuts for old ones.

Just imagine instead of tearing a bag and getting dust all over, it's dirty sludge.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I know OP is done, but if you think bagged vacuums are strange, check out Rainbow vacuums that use water to filter the air:
    0i2ma79q9ycd.jpg

Been around for almost 100 years. Collectors go nuts for old ones.

Just imagine instead of tearing a bag and getting dust all over, it's dirty sludge.

My folks gave me one a few years ago as a hand-me-down. It worked pretty well but it was ungainly. FAR too expensive though. They are like Cutco.

• Options
    Its been a few weeks now, and the shark is great. There is no hair on the brush, but there's a huge caveat to that, the longest hair in the house is my fiancés beard. The cat is a short hair and my hair doesn't shed too much, now that its in locs.

I will say, that compared to my old vac the capacity seems small, but because its lighter I have been running it more. Its also picking up WAY more dust than the one did, and that has had a noticeable affect. So far, I would say this is a good in between from a cheap vac to the dyson, especially for our relatively small apartment.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    My favorite thing with the Shark I got is that it's cordless.

Bringing out the old vacuum, pulling the spooled cable out, messing around with reaching the nearest outlet, and then start vacuuming (while staying in range of the outlet) was a project.

I vacuum way more often now that I can just grab the cordless Shark and walk around however I want with it.