As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy]: My Way!

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    So dressing like a vampire just runs in Vincent Valentine's family, huh?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Does Blank have a belt around his head? He is a weird looking character.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

AND he's got this frankenstein thing going on because his skin is different colored patches with stitches between them for some reason?

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »

AND he's got this frankenstein thing going on because his skin is different colored patches with stitches between them for some reason?

Maybe someone created Blank.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I just started up a playthrough of FFIX (modern port version) on a whim.

Way back when during the PS2 era, I bought a number of JRPGs like FFVII, Chrono Trigger and FFIX. I completed the others but only made it a short while into FFIX and never went back to it. No idea how much I'll actually play of it, but I've regretted not giving the game a fair shot.

Three or four hours in, and I'm already back where I think I stopped playing. It hasn't clicked with me yet, but I'm still interested in seeing where things go. The art style of this game is bizarre. I was also wondering why Blank looks so weird. Why's he so weird-looking.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    We have discovered the mystery that is Blank.

They just leave Ruby behind.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I started playing FFIX again, but this is the point at which Square’s missable items really started to be a problem for me. Even with fast forward capability, I might burn out if I keep checking every wall of every screen for that little ‘!’ bubble.

Might just find a list of important missable items to reign myself in - pretty sure I’ve only beat this game once, after stalling out while prepping for the super boss during my second play through.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The main failure of FF9 is that new dumb card game instead of just bringing Triple Triad back

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I started playing FFIX again, but this is the point at which Square’s missable items really started to be a problem for me. Even with fast forward capability, I might burn out if I keep checking every wall of every screen for that little ‘!’ bubble.

Might just find a list of important missable items to reign myself in - pretty sure I’ve only beat this game once, after stalling out while prepping for the super boss during my second play through.

Well, you know, there is a missable item you will miss if you don't complete the game fast enough...

• Options
    IIRC there aren't too many permanently missable items in FFIX, and most of them aren't really anything major

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I don't remember anything missable in IX that actually matters. The most annoying things are stealing from all the bosses and whatnot, and even then most of the time that's just to get stuff earlier.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Well, you know, there is a missable item you will miss if you don't complete the game fast enough...

I’ve known this for years, but knowing that I would have to miss other items to get this missable item thankfully short circuits that particular anxiety loop.

The info on most ‘missable’ items being fairly unimportant is helpful. I think it’s just the 1-2 combo of the play performance and the jump rope mini games that puts me in an annoyed collector mindset right out the gate.

• Options
    You kind of have to accept that you will miss something.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I remember back in the day reading about all the hoops you needed to jump through to get Excalibur 2 a sword that is barely stronger than regular Excalibur and I was like "Naw".

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I remember back in the day reading about all the hoops you needed to jump through to get Excalibur 2 a sword that is barely stronger than regular Excalibur and I was like "Naw".

Yeah, that was one of the first times where I consciously decided I wasn't going to do a thing in a video game.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Didn't they have that giant turtle that takes days to beat in FFXV?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I thought it was discovered you could just wait out the timer and it'll eventually overflow and reset back to 0. Which it will and you can get the sword. But apparently it's like 2 continuous years of waiting, so... yeah.

...Does the game have a fast forward feature? :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    The main failure of FF9 is that new dumb card game instead of just bringing Triple Triad back

As always when this comes up, I'd like to restate my belief that Triple Triad is a terrible game that people only remember fondly because drawing magic normally was even worse.

Tetra Master wasn't that good either, but at least it didn't rapidly devolve into being completely unlosable once your cards got good enough.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I thought it was discovered you could just wait out the timer and it'll eventually overflow and reset back to 0. Which it will and you can get the sword. But apparently it's like 2 continuous years of waiting, so... yeah.

...Does the game have a fast forward feature? :)
    The rereleases do. And they're courteous enough to affect the gameplay but not the timer, so if you want to go for Excalibur II on just about anything besides the original version, it's pretty easy (graduating to effortless if you want to use the other cheats to just god mode your way through it).

I did that for the PS4 version (I earned the jumprope trophy, so I was totally willing to cheese everything else to get platinum).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

As always when this comes up, I'd like to restate my belief that Triple Triad is a terrible game that people only remember fondly because drawing magic normally was even worse.

Tetra Master wasn't that good either, but at least it didn't rapidly devolve into being completely unlosable once your cards got good enough.

I didn't ever turn cards into magic, I just really liked the game that much. I was ecstatic to keep playing in FFXIV especially with the new rules and modes.

As far as drawing magic I never did much of that either.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Excalibur II's stats are obviously too good to call it a joke weapon, but if you actually do get it you also find a note which pretty much turns it into a meta-joke weapon.
    It's a note from Enkidu to Gilgamesh saying that he found the Excalibur II but it looked worn and dirty so he left it and picked up the nearby Excalipoor instead

Shenl742 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Did not take days when I beat it. Half hour, maybe? Memory is pretty fuzzy on it. The only things I really remember about it were the camera constantly flipping out and clipping into shit and the whole ordeal not being remotely worth it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular

Did not take days when I beat it. Half hour, maybe? Memory is pretty fuzzy on it. The only things I really remember about it were the camera constantly flipping out and clipping into shit and the whole ordeal not being remotely worth it.

You can also apparently instakill it with the Ring of the Lucii

But yeah it's not a particularly satisfying fight even if you do it the long way.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    In the fullness of time it's lead to great results however:

cd3.png

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I remember the adamantoose fight in XV having a cool custom summon animation, and a cool custom counter animation

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I have a really hard time calling Type-0 a great game or anything, but it's still vastly more fleshed out than XV(not saying much), fun to play(despite the PSP-y mission format), and this moment of the opening gives me chills every time.

https://youtu.be/4f90TFq32Xo?t=282

Class Zero know how to make an entrance.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Oh. I thought they said it was a long time on Conan.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Oh. I thought they said it was a long time on Conan.

Originally, they wanted it to take 15 real-time hours (30 in-game days), but decided not to do that. Still, I believe it takes like at least half an hour if you don't do the Lucii ring, which is still a long time.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I liked the stealing from bosses mechanic in FFIX. It could be frustrating sometimes, but was a sorta neat way to add an optional layer of challenge to the fights.

Continuing my FF7R hard mode run intermittently. Ghoul was a cool fight, pretty challenging, fighting in a cramped space like that. And the second phase where he just alternates between putting Balefire everywhere and doing that annoying stun scream move was rough.

Then Eligor was just obnoxious. Putting unending reflect on everyone, the wheels you bounce off of, riding around all the time, resisting physical, silencing casters. Thankfully his attacks are pretty easy to dodge.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/AmzcNYzsRbg

New FF7R Intergrade trailer. I do not recognize the shirtless white hair sword guy that appears to be in the battle simulator? So that's something new (I think?) outside of the Yuffie stuff.

https://youtu.be/jU4awVM7QX8

This is just fuckawesome. One Winged Angel in the style of Doom Eternal. Skip to 9:04 for the song.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FF9 update.
    I made it to Black Mage Village.I learned they have a short lifespan. Also Dagger and Zidane got married to get to the Sanctuary. Eiko is now in the party.

• Options
    Oh. I also have been running into Cactuars.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/AmzcNYzsRbg

New FF7R Intergrade trailer. I do not recognize the shirtless white hair sword guy that appears to be in the battle simulator? So that's something new (I think?) outside of the Yuffie stuff.

He's one of the antagonists from Dirge of Cerberus, along with Face Bandage Man from the Yuffie bit.

So hold on to your butts. They're doing Compilation stuff. I will cackle like a witch if they bring in ol' Gackt. :twisted:

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    See. Now I have to play my copy of Dirge I bought ages ago.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Hell, I still haven't played through Crisis Core.
    They are probably going to blend together all the spin off stuff into FF7 Remake.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

You really don't. And shouldn't.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Nobody should play Dirge of Cerberus.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Maximilian Dood did a playthrough in the run up to Remake's release, you could watch that.
    I find more entertainment in watching another's suffering that suffering myself, but maybe that's just me.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Nobody should play Dirge of Cerberus.

Dirge wasn't that bad imo

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Dirge was serviceable gameplay and just a damned story

This discussion has been closed.