As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Calica wrote: »
    It gets better, jab thread.

After having adequately raised my concerns to my manager, literally yesterday, about my co-worker ejecting the technical debt for someone else to take care of, and that it'll impact schedule of critical path things.

After being called 'emotional' for doing so.

I'm "in the dog house" because this morning I laid out that there's a schedule slip because, according to my manager, I didn't raise the impacts/my concerns sooner.

Like, this is the kind of The Office/Silicon Valley shit that happens in real life and just makes watching those shows impossible because they're too real.

That sucks. Do you have a paper trail?

I have enough receipts, yeah. Though in this topsy turvy world of Libertarian Trump Wanna-Bes, it isn't enough. Reality will be distorted to whoever is liked enough by the higher manager.

Dude is pulling this (leaning on me/blustering) because I'm one of the few remaining folks on his team that can really get work done, knows what's what about our industry, and I don't play The Game(tm) very well - so I'm easy pickin's.

This is why I was looking at moving/thinking about just taking off a few months ago. The out-of-cycle raise though convinced me to stick around. Already dusting off my exit plans though (I'll probably stick around for a bit longer, those golden handcuffs are a blessing that I'm not going to sneer at).

e: fkn, totp - Watch some The Mitchells vs. the Machines y'all.

thatassemblyguy on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Today my discussions with students have been focused on a pretty frequent item: reading.

So, I'd say 75-85% of my students HATE reading. Not just school-mandated reading, but casual reading in any capacity.

So through discussion with them, and some coworkers in the English department during lunch, we started putting together some possible theories for this.

Our leading theory? About ten years ago our district made the move away from having Silent Sustained Reading during the school day, as it was perceived to be an "empty" time with students "not doing anything." And we have to imagine that did it. Because from a quick survey of two of my classes, almost none of my students have ever had an opportunity in education to just read a book (a book that they chose to read) in a classroom with no external pressure (having to study the book for quizzes/tests/assignments).

All of this is built up to a student passionately telling me, "Books are obsolete. If I want entertainment, I can stream a show. If I want entertainment, I can go outside and look at the sunset. There's no use for books anymore."

I AM HEART-BROKEN AND LIVID

Both your school district administration and that student need to be bludgeoned with a shovel because I am too tired and angry to come up with actual solutions.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I was once talking to some random 10? year old kid while his foster parents (I know because he told me unprompted) looked at birds at the parrot rescue I volunteer at. He was super chatty and I never know what to say to kids, so I asked him what he liked to do for fun. He told me he liked reading comic books. I said, "That's good! Hold onto that!" and this kid straight up looked at me like I'd just told him ice cream was good for you. He said his parents didn't like him reading comics.

It's not the first time I've wanted to slap some sense into a parent, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Every word his foster mom said to him while they were there was either a criticism or a warning not to screw up, so I'm glad I could give him a little positive reinforcement at least :sad:

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Awesome is for keeping that kids dreams alive.
    💩 is for the foster mom

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Awesome is for keeping that kids dreams alive.
    💩 is for the foster mom

In fairness, I saw maybe 15 minutes out of her life. I can only hope it wasn't representative.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

After having adequately raised my concerns to my manager, literally yesterday, about my co-worker ejecting the technical debt for someone else to take care of, and that it'll impact schedule of critical path things.

I'm "in the dog house" because this morning I laid out that there's a schedule slip because, according to my manager, I didn't raise the impacts/my concerns sooner.

Like, this is the kind of The Office/Silicon Valley shit that happens in real life and just makes watching those shows impossible because they're too real.

That sucks. Do you have a paper trail?

I have enough receipts, yeah. Though in this topsy turvy world of Libertarian Trump Wanna-Bes, it isn't enough. Reality will be distorted to whoever is liked enough by the higher manager.

Dude is pulling this (leaning on me/blustering) because I'm one of the few remaining folks on his team that can really get work done, knows what's what about our industry, and I don't play The Game(tm) very well - so I'm easy pickin's.

This is why I was looking at moving/thinking about just taking off a few months ago. The out-of-cycle raise though convinced me to stick around. Already dusting off my exit plans though (I'll probably stick around for a bit longer, those golden handcuffs are a blessing that I'm not going to sneer at).

e: fkn, totp - Watch some The Mitchells vs. the Machines y'all.

I'm jumping in 400+ posts since the last time I lurked the thread, and I'll get to reading the rest of this most recent page now... But no... no. Holy cow, my pal, none of that is excusable regardless of your moving on plans. You gotta get outta there.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Athenor wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Today my imposter syndrome is flaring up something extremely fierce. I want to be good at devops and properly deploy tools and tech where I can. But I've barely played around with docker compose files, let alone kubernetes clusters or .yml or all sorts of other things that I feel I need to know in order to properly leverage a cloud environment.

I really want to learn more k8s stuff, right now there's just a pile of yaml and then magic happens and I have deployed stuff.

I've been thinking about setting up a cluster on a handful of Raspberries to play around with.

This is where I think I fall behind. I don't really want to spend my free time learning stuff for work. I want my workplace to be like "we need these skills! Learning them is part of your job. Now take this training."

That's where that reductress quiz above fails for me. I don't feel like I spend hours outside work improving my skills. I spend it thinking about structures and proposals and what I wish we could do, but I don't actually work outside of work hours often.

Thing is, I already have a bunch of Raspberries at home for my personal stuff. They're an excellent candidate for learning new things to improve my own private network and digital toys.

Bonus: I can then apply this to work as well.

edited May 2021
    Edit: Wow, double post 8 hours apart?

I’m definitely 40.

sarukun on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular

"So, to be clear, it's my responsibility to report any failure of $colleague to deliver to you in the future? Are there any other supervisor responsibilities you expect me to be fulfilling?"

V1m wrote: »

"So, to be clear, it's my responsibility to report any failure of $colleague to deliver to you in the future? Are there any other supervisor responsibilities you expect me to be fulfilling?"

“And what additional compensation will be provided for this expansion of my job description?”

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    The upside of my personal life breaking down over the past two months is that I was able to request to not have to manage other people for the time being with very little fuss.
    Working for people you know can for sure have its downsides but this in my books I would consider this a huge fucking win.

I have one part time dev whose task load I still manage but he's really switched on and requires very little intervention so it kind of works out.

stimtokolos on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Ah yes, buying a new car and how to write up all the state taxes I paid on it. That's what hemmed me up. I got the records right here saying I paid $1500ish on tax, but cannot find the damn ad valorum tax or registration tax. Look like it was all rolled into one charge.

Beautiful

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Ah yes, buying a new car and how to write up all the state taxes I paid on it. That's what hemmed me up. I got the records right here saying I paid $1500ish on tax, but cannot find the damn ad valorum tax or registration tax. Look like it was all rolled into one charge.

Beautiful

Generally don't post about tax fraud?

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Beautiful

Generally don't post about tax fraud?

.....wa? I am doing my taxes, as I stated earlier. Discovered it was the $1500 in salea tax and registration fees that stopped my progress.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I haven't posted here for a while. Unfortunately, tournament time for my son's bowling leagues and the end of the year approaching for him and my wife (teacher) means I've been just busy both in and out of work. I did get some amazing news the past week. I currently wear two hats - first I'm an account manager for a few of our largest customers, specifically one that does a lot at oil sites, one with a bunch of car parts shops, and one that makes a well-known soft drink. My other hat is that I handle every part of our billing process. I would say that I'm currently at about 120% capacity and have been for a few years.

I am getting rid of all but one of my customers in the next few weeks to a coworker, to focus almost entirely on billing. It's what I've wanted for years, to not be customer-facing at all, and should allow me to not feel like I'm behind in my work all the time. Frankly, it also means that one of my big fleets gets someone who has way better attention to detail and organization than I do, which I think will be awesome for them.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just did some math and thought I did it wrong but then I verified it and uh.

This year I've had a 4,207% increase in eBook checkouts.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

Juggernut on
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Don't lie, you've had a 4206.9% increase and rounded up.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I've got a machine that we need to upgrade Apache Tomcat on. I'm currently waiting for some more info from the vendor, but it looks like we're just going to go ahead and upgrade the whole server, because it's running Server 2012 and that is rapidly approaching End of Life (if it isn't there yet). So I need to put in a security exception for the tomcat version so that people aren't getting bugged about it by the security office.

So I fire up their security software.

I can't do anything in the program because it's still going through the initial load. I've been sitting here for 10 minutes. I can't even put in a search for the server I want to look at so it stops trying to collate all the data it has from all our servers.

How the hell does the security office put up with this?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    In the vein of the vacation discussion, make sure your vacation is actually approved before leaving.

I have the dumbest geniuses working for me.

Quid on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I did 11 pallets of chemicals and still had to help dairy finish
    My body basically gave up at about 15 after 7 and I went home

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I've got a machine that we need to upgrade Apache Tomcat on. I'm currently waiting for some more info from the vendor, but it looks like we're just going to go ahead and upgrade the whole server, because it's running Server 2012 and that is rapidly approaching End of Life (if it isn't there yet). So I need to put in a security exception for the tomcat version so that people aren't getting bugged about it by the security office.

I can't do anything in the program because it's still going through the initial load. I've been sitting here for 10 minutes. I can't even put in a search for the server I want to look at so it stops trying to collate all the data it has from all our servers.

Either they have a work flow where they boot it up right when they start their shift with the idea of actually using it later.

Or they are pretty checked out and it helps eat part of their 8 hour shift are my two guesses.

Inquisitor on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Two day work week, because Wednesday is telework and Th/F I'm taking off but already things are looking crazy because of callouts and tickets.

In the words of Worthikids, "Oh you wanna take some sucker shots at my banana cage? You wanna take some sucker shots at my banana cage BILBO?! WELL LET'S TANGO."

I am constantly saying that Big Top Burger line to myself and I want it on my tombstone probably.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

If I had a 69 show up you better believe I'd post that.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Two day work week, because Wednesday is telework and Th/F I'm taking off but already things are looking crazy because of callouts and tickets.

In the words of Worthikids, "Oh you wanna take some sucker shots at my banana cage? You wanna take some sucker shots at my banana cage BILBO?! WELL LET'S TANGO."

Hey Thursday is Ascension Day, so you can just say you observe all the important Christian holidays. And Friday off because ... well... who wouldn't need a day off after Ascension Day. I mean, come on.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

If I had a 69 show up you better believe I'd post that.

Run your numbers again. Computers are fickle creatures, and will sometimes round up (or down) your numbers without you being ever the wiser.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Either they have a work flow where they boot it up right when they start their shift with the idea of actually using it later.

Or they are pretty checked out and it helps eat part of their 8 hour shift are my two guesses.

30 minutes. Something HAS to be broke. So I'm.. *shudder* communicating with the security team.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Juggernut wrote: »
    [Redacted]

Do you guys not have a materials control lab or something similar that has to test the raw material and give it a quality sign off?

Kane Red Robe on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

Hey Thursday is Ascension Day, so you can just say you observe all the important Christian holidays. And Friday off because ... well... who wouldn't need a day off after Ascension Day. I mean, come on.

Only holiday I need to be observing this Thursday is my birthday

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Quid wrote: »
    In the vein of the vacation discussion, make sure your vacation is actually approved before leaving.

I've done that before

In my defence it was when I went from academia, where the protocol for taking leave was "oh I won't be at the next meeting" and maybe setting up an email notification, to a small firm where you had to clear it with hr. I had a brain fart and told my boss/ceo "hey I've got two weeks of leave banked, I'm gonna take a few days off next week to travel", (him: "no problem!") but didn't email our HR person. Apparently this does not count as adequate notification and will get you screamed at and threatened with termination over the phone in Scotland.

I'm now at a large company where the protocol for leave is saying "oh hey I won't be at the next meeting" and maybe setting an out of office notification on your email/slack profile. Thank fuck.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Even though I deleted my resume from all online search engines and took off any sign that I was still searching for a job from Linkedin, I still regularly get recruiters hitting me up. The thing is, I don't WANT to move from Splunk. Splunk treats me like a queen and they have a product everyone wants. They are also aware of and cater to my neurodiversity, are pro BLM, pro LGBTQ+, pro diversity in general. They also have spent a fucking lot of time just in getting me trained, I have done zero productive work for the company yet because of how much they invested in training. I know people complain about the cost of Splunk but so far I think they invest that expense extremely well into their employees.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Inquisitor wrote: »

30 minutes. Something HAS to be broke. So I'm.. *shudder* communicating with the security team.

The fix, as conveyed by my security team, was to turn off any adblockers, popup blockers, and script blockers I may be running and then reload the page.

I turned off uBlock Origin and it worked instantly.

Let that one sink in.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    ALSO today is a free holiday for me, called a Splunk day of rest, because they know the pandemic has people burned out they've just been giving an extra quarterly holiday to help relieve the stress of it. That's on top of the large amount of extra paid time available to people for pandemic-related activities such as getting a vaccine or if you were to get sick. Splunk is the best company I've ever worked for.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm finding it surprisingly demoralizing how quickly and thoroughly mask compliance has collapsed since the mask mandate expired. Like, we're still asking everyone who comes in to put on a mask, and around half of them either refuse or yell at us. And even a bunch of the ones who do put a mask on are dicks about it.

I guess I always figured that people followed library rules for reasons other than an implicit threat that we'd call the police if they didn't, or at least that most people would do a thing if you asked them politely.

I usually get by day-to-day assuming that the people I serve are generally good folks. Now it's like I have a special pair of those glasses from They Live that makes it perfectly clear how many of my patrons don't care whether I live or die.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited May 2021
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Something something metallurgy something crystal grains

steam_sig.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Chemical composition is definitely not an adequate metric to use to grade steel.

Thanks to juggs and Koro I will never be buying us brand tires, I know that much.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

I've done that before

In my defence it was when I went from academia, where the protocol for taking leave was "oh I won't be at the next meeting" and maybe setting up an email notification, to a small firm where you had to clear it with hr. I had a brain fart and told my boss/ceo "hey I've got two weeks of leave banked, I'm gonna take a few days off next week to travel", (him: "no problem!") but didn't email our HR person. Apparently this does not count as adequate notification and will get you screamed at and threatened with termination over the phone in Scotland.

I'm now at a large company where the protocol for leave is saying "oh hey I won't be at the next meeting" and maybe setting an out of office notification on your email/slack profile. Thank fuck.

In this case it results in me making phone calls and making sure it gets approved. Followed up next week by me showing up outside the sailor's cubicle to ask what we've learned with dad voice.

Screaming might have happened if they'd gone to Scotland, but we're also directly liable for our people, and "I didn't know this person with critical knowledge left the country" is generally frowned upon as an excuse.