As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Do you think the butt-bearing person is mentally disabled?

As a parent of a child with a developmental disability I know that she probably won't ever be able to live a completely independent life. She tends to forget basic self care things that typically developing people do without much thought. Odds are she'll probably have to get a job through some program for disabled adults and I might have to work with employers to make sure they know about her capabilities and struggles.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Boss; My call ended early. I can talk now if that’s convenient.
    Me (immediately): Sure, let’s talk now. Here’s my Webex info.
    Boss, for the next five minutes: *total silence*

I was already irritated but this is one of my pet peeves.

Maybe I'm missing something but what is the pet peeve? Was your boss shocked into silence or did he just ignore you?

someone saying they can talk now, and then not doing so.

Reminds me of https://www.nohello.com

Basically, avoid putting other people in a limbo state where they are waiting around for you to get back to them, especially when they have no idea if when you will get back is in 1 second or 5 hours.

I'm real glad to find out this is a common peeve and not just me being grumpy / too sensitive to the particulars of my coworkers after working with them too long.

Especially if it's something after hours. Yes I know you're sorry and wouldn't be bothering me now if you didn't need to but I would have fixed it already if you would TELL ME WHAT WAS WRONG

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Maybe I'm missing something but what is the pet peeve? Was your boss shocked into silence or did he just ignore you?

Basically, avoid putting other people in a limbo state where they are waiting around for you to get back to them, especially when they have no idea if when you will get back is in 1 second or 5 hours.

I'm real glad to find out this is a common peeve and not just me being grumpy / too sensitive to the particulars of my coworkers after working with them too long.

Especially if it's something after hours. Yes I know you're sorry and wouldn't be bothering me now if you didn't need to but I would have fixed it already if you would TELL ME WHAT WAS WRONG

Ever since reading that I've striven to start all my Teams communications with a greeting, a "priority" note, and then the description of what I'm looking for in general. To the point where I apologize if I hit enter too early and don't include all that info.

(I tried to type strived and google didn't like it.)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Strove?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Looking as the work thread I muted and discovering 33 unread text messages.

Short 1, maybe 2 more people. Just.....ow

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Do you think the butt-bearing person is mentally disabled?

As a parent of a child with a developmental disability I know that she probably won't ever be able to live a completely independent life. She tends to forget basic self care things that typically developing people do without much thought. Odds are she'll probably have to get a job through some program for disabled adults and I might have to work with employers to make sure they know about her capabilities and struggles.

This honestly crossed my mind and I've had a lot of trouble trying to figure out what to think, based on our work. Like, the partial nudity (I legit am not sure how to say it other than "butt hanging out"), we are a contractor on site. Does the client company say something? What happens if they do? They can request removal of someone and our company will just assign them to a different site, but is that okay? Does he keep getting removed because clients keep saying no to him?

And then his dad coming in to talk while he stands aside not speaking. Does he need someone to communicate for him? Okay, well, every post requires dozens to hundreds of brief to extensive conversations with strangers daily. Is that doable? And a decent number of those conversations will be mildly confrontational, cause people want to just go where they need to, not bother with procedures. Does he understand that clearly? Is he capable of handling that?

I can absolutely see the office people lying about the job responsibilities to get him or his father to agree to the employment.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Striven: The sequel to Strmyst

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Also I may edit out my last few posts. I feel like I'm being vague enough about the sausage making but I'm still paranoid.

Well no wonder your tyres are no good if they're made out of sausage

Goddamn it, first shift keeps eating the production queue.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Back when I used to work at Verizon, I found that if I put my question in the 'hello' message, there was a significantly lower chance that the other person would respond. Just saying "hello" raised the possibility of a first reply by a lot. The reason was, as I gauged it based on work culture, that if you just said 'hello' they didn't know if you were about to ask them about notes they themselves had written or a case they themselves had worked on, which was stuff they would feel more obligated to reply on, or if you were just asking for institutional knowledge questions, something people were leery about sharing. There was this whole culture of not sharing knowledge to protect your job - something I never agreed with as a principle, and still don't. But if they've already replied to your "hi" message, few people are rude enough to ignore your question after that.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I hate knowledge hoarding with the power of a thousand fiery suns.

It says so many terrible things about the hoarder and their organisation.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Back when I used to work at Verizon, I found that if I put my question in the 'hello' message, there was a significantly lower chance that the other person would respond. Just saying "hello" raised the possibility of a first reply by a lot. The reason was, as I gauged it based on work culture, that if you just said 'hello' they didn't know if you were about to ask them about notes they themselves had written or a case they themselves had worked on, which was stuff they would feel more obligated to reply on, or if you were just asking for institutional knowledge questions, something people were leery about sharing. There was this whole culture of not sharing knowledge to protect your job - something I never agreed with as a principle, and still don't. But if they've already replied to your "hi" message, few people are rude enough to ignore your question after that.

See, now this feels like a trap, and makes me feel more personally justified in waiting for someone to say something else if I just get a “hello” message. I let my Read notification do the talking for me.

I wholly recognize this is just a me thing though and our past working history and environments don’t fully align. I’ve never had to deal with people information guarding for example.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I've got a machine that we need to upgrade Apache Tomcat on. I'm currently waiting for some more info from the vendor, but it looks like we're just going to go ahead and upgrade the whole server, because it's running Server 2012 and that is rapidly approaching End of Life (if it isn't there yet). So I need to put in a security exception for the tomcat version so that people aren't getting bugged about it by the security office.

So I fire up their security software.

I can't do anything in the program because it's still going through the initial load. I've been sitting here for 10 minutes. I can't even put in a search for the server I want to look at so it stops trying to collate all the data it has from all our servers.

How the hell does the security office put up with this?

Either they have a work flow where they boot it up right when they start their shift with the idea of actually using it later.

Or they are pretty checked out and it helps eat part of their 8 hour shift are my two guesses.

30 minutes. Something HAS to be broke. So I'm.. *shudder* communicating with the security team.

The fix, as conveyed by my security team, was to turn off any adblockers, popup blockers, and script blockers I may be running and then reload the page.

I turned off uBlock Origin and it worked instantly.

Let that one sink in.

Well yeah, a lot of the security software we use doesn't like to turn on if it sees something trying to control stuff. For that same reason people can't use Tor or Brave browsers when accessing most of the cloud programs we use. We didn't set it up that way, its just how it is.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

See, now this feels like a trap, and makes me feel more personally justified in waiting for someone to say something else if I just get a “hello” message. I let my Read notification do the talking for me.

I wholly recognize this is just a me thing though and our past working history and environments don’t fully align. I’ve never had to deal with people information guarding for example.

I wouldn't see it as a trap but I might have a "wtf you weirdo" reaction, like I'd probably wait a while just to see if anything else was coming in case you hit send too early. And then maybe "...yes?" Which would be exactly as testy as it sounds.
    I also havent had to deal with that precise kind of toxicity though.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My immediate team members and I tend to send the question first and then go, "oh right hi and good morning"

Folks from other teams that I don't want to talk to our who shouldn't actually be messaging me at all well always Saturday with "Hi Sarah" and I'm immediately "no fuck off", but only in my head.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I send a question and when I don't hear back I follow up with "I need an answer before I approve your budget request"

Money taaaaalks

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I should just start using that even though I don't oversee any budgets and have no power over anyone's finances.
    Maybe confusion will talk instead.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I generally kick work questions off with a friendly "u up?"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I should just start using that even though I don't oversee any budgets and have no power over anyone's finances.
    Maybe confusion will talk instead.

You never know who the budget people will talk to during budget season~

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I am torn between thinking I am very good at my new job or I am missing something.

My weekly goal post training is 10 cases per week, and 8 live contacts as part of that overall 10.

Today I did 7 cases and 5 live contacts. I don’t officially finish my training until the end of this week. Either expectations are quite low or I am doing something horribly wrong to resolve cases so fast.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Got my logo, boyz, girlz and nbz

a7kh7rfvey83.png

Also, here's kind of the facility I'm looking to build for living & working (and swimming).

h02do4ce9w3c.jpg

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    No slide from the second floor straight into the pool? Well I suppose it's ok for a first draft.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So uh...

Do I just pick a desk, or is there assigned seating?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I just realized earlier today that one other thing I miss about the office is this.

Almost all of my meetings now go over time. 15 minutes becomes 30 minutes, 1 hour becomes 1.5 hours.

Why?

Because there is no longer the social pressure of your colleagues standing impatiently outside the conference room waiting for you to get out of there.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I’ll take two of them. When can you deliver?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Got my logo, boyz, girlz and nbz

a7kh7rfvey83.png

Also, here's kind of the facility I'm looking to build for living & working (and swimming).

h02do4ce9w3c.jpg
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    No slide from the second floor straight into the pool? Well I suppose it's ok for a first draft.

Look at the company name. Who needs a slide when you're just gonna kick people off the second story balcony?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Please. We wouldn't kick employees into the pool, that's barbaric. We kick underperforming employees into the hole out back.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I will never get tired of people forwarding an email to IT and asking a variation of "how do I fix this?" or "can you fix this for me?"

"PER THE EMAIL YOU FORWARDED TO US...."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    In other news there's a contractor here and he's 18? He's driving a golf cart around doing stuff but I don't think he can even see over the steering wheel. He is a tiny baby child of only 4 summers. Who let him in here? Who is allowing him to do work in this factory, this borderline fetus, this miniscule infant of only 5 weeks?
    Ah, this reminds me of the day I met a new co-worker who was born after I started working with the company.

That was a fun day.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    At my next-to-last job, one of my co-workers was just a few years older than my niece.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My career will be of drinking age in 9 days.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Royce: .....so yeah, do the report for the misson but no callback needed to dispatch who sent it. Where was the mission?
    New guy: Mordor.
    R: *dreads the answer but asks anyway* Where are you now?
    NG: ummm.....Mordor
    R: *inhales and calmly asks* and why didnt you hit reassign?
    NG: 0:19. https://youtu.be/wYRHngrc4o0

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

Hmmm, kinda surpises me that the US actually has a federal one.
    800px-Drinking_age_map.png

Although that map is wrong anyway. Under the right circumstances you could be drinking here in Germany at age 14...

honovere on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Although that map is wrong anyway. Under the right circumstances you could be drinking here in Germany at age 14...

We do and we don't - technically the drinking ages are set by the states, but since the feds used the power of the pursestring (either up your drinking age to 21, or no more federal highway money), everyone plays by their rules.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm not quite there yet, I still have a few months.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I feel like if you spend enough of your night having stress work dreams, you should get to report the whole thing as telework and take the next day off.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Yeah that map isn’t right. Drinking age in Sweden is 18, buying alcohol in the state stores is 20. Two different things.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    21 is such a ridiculous age limit for drinking

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'm trying to work with a colleague and it's just infuriatingly difficult. They seem to think that their use of version control for this project - which is highly idiosyncratic and completely separate from the entire rest of what the company does - just goes without saying.

So I say hey I don't understand this, can you let me know what I should be doing?

- Oh no worries I wrote it down!

"Step 1.) The original machine had a base plate of prefabulated amulite
    Step 3.) The latter consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzlevanes
    Goblins.) Can't trust em"

Okay no I still do not understand what this process involves, can you lead me through it?

- You'll get it if you just read what I wrote

It's just... a bunch. I have to actively push through to just get to the point where I can begin because they're so fucking confident that there's no reason anyone would find it difficult to see into their brain.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    21 is such a ridiculous age limit for drinking

I wish it were higher, or tied to some kind of competency thing.

I lost a 19 year old cousin because he went to a concert in a town over, (supposedly) got drunk, and then drove a supercharged pickup in a way he couldn't control. Ended up wrapping the truck around a tree off the interstate.

... but I also recognize that is personal, and teaching everyone responsibility is apparently a bit harder than we can pull off.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I send a question and when I don't hear back I follow up with "I need an answer before I approve your budget request"

Money taaaaalks

I've realized this and I absolutely use this in my project discussions.

Who wants to explain why OFCOM fined us a % of our profits works WONDERS for stakeholder agreement.