As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all complain about the [job] thread

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    TheStig wrote: »
    When a medical person says mils they typically mean milliliters.
    Oh good, now I can also be confused in multiple dimensions as well.
    tynic wrote: »
    circuit design is the only thing I default to imperial on, and that's only because a lot of common components are sized in imperial so if you work in metric all your numbers look stupid.

I don't like it though.
    Oh yeah, the components, pad sizes etc. are all kinda stuck that way.
    Just work in mils only! You can pretend it's base 10 metric if you never convert to regular inches!
    How big is that PCB? 5000mils!

Thro on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    When a baker talks about mills they mean flour mills.

How many ounces in a baker's mil?
    Thro wrote: »
    circuit design is the only thing I default to imperial on, and that's only because a lot of common components are sized in imperial so if you work in metric all your numbers look stupid.

I don't like it though.
    Just work in mils only! You can pretend it's base 10 metric if you never convert to regular inches!

Ah 5 kilomils.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

487 degrees Kelvin.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I hate the use of "mils" but every Boomer/Late Gen X machine shop uses them and I have to mentally translate it in my head every time I hear it and it is irritating

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Decatus wrote: »
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HELL YES GOT THE OFFER FROM PORTLAND SCREW YOU CRAPPY PART OF CALIFORNIA IM OUTTA HERE.

...Shit there's a lot to do this summer. Time to start getting rid of junk.

Congrats.

Also how's your winter driving?

Decent. Im planning on getting rid of my car though. We want to live in the city and I can get an unlimited pass for the metro system for $100 a month out of my pay pre-taxes. Between that and a bike I think I'll be okay. We do have a new Rav4 that we're taking with us though, so its a nice and safe car for the rain.

PSN: decatus90
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

Thro wrote: »

I don't like it though.

Ah 5 kilomils.

Oh no you fucking don't. 5 kilomils is just 5.

The units cancel out, you see.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HELL YES GOT THE OFFER FROM PORTLAND SCREW YOU CRAPPY PART OF CALIFORNIA IM OUTTA HERE.

Congrats.

Also how's your winter driving?

Decent. Im planning on getting rid of my car though. We want to live in the city and I can get an unlimited pass for the metro system for $100 a month out of my pay pre-taxes. Between that and a bike I think I'll be okay. We do have a new Rav4 that we're taking with us though, so its a nice and safe car for the rain.

Oh yeah, Rav4s are really nice.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021

I don't like it though.

haha oh man

Let me tell you about metric vs. imperial

A vendor had an off-the-shelf board we were using with two high density, high-speed connectors we were using to push a shitload of data.

Between revs, without saying anything about it, they spun the board and switched from imperial to metric (or the other way around? I don't recall). So all of a sudden, none of our daughterboards could be installed in the new spin of their board. edit: because the connectors had shifted by like half a millimeter or something.

That was great, especially since the lead time and availability for the boards meant it was easier for us to just spin the daughterboards instead.

Ah, good times, good times.

Orca on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Oh, hello fellow Californian who is also moving to Portland for work!

We will be forced to contend with this plaid land and it’s dearth of tacos. (I am actually really looking forward to moving there, but there is stuff I will miss as well of course.)

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    There's, ah, actually a lot of tacos up here. Goes with a lot of Mexicans, which we also have. Not as much as down there, to be sure, but let's just say you aren't the only ones who've moved north in search of work.

• Options
    I'm so thrilled, really. We went up to Salem and Portland a few years ago and I've been itching to get the hell out of CA since. We're trying to figure out a timeline for moving and my wife has to find a job. She's working now as a court clerk, so I'm fairly certain she'll be able to find something easy enough. Our main concern is with healthcare, of course. It really seems like this would be uh, probably not a great time to lose our insurance and have nothing in place.

That's okay though, new admin says I only HAVE to be in Portland by August. Odds are we'll list our house in July and I'll probably move up with a couple cats in mid-late July while she stays here until early August.

Though that's just literally the first idea we had, if she finds a decent job or if I can get the district to start issuing me a standard pay warrant over summer the whole story changes. Next step is talking to HR though, so hopefully I'll get some firm information by Friday.

• Options
    There's, ah, actually a lot of tacos up here. Goes with a lot of Mexicans, which we also have. Not as much as down there, to be sure, but let's just say you aren't the only ones who've moved north in search of work.

The only way to be sure is to try every possible available taco.

You know, for science.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    today the IT and devs at my work rolled out several Quality of Life" changes to our new internal system.
    And one of the changes

Hooboy I've never been more excited for a small change.

The date display on everything was default year-month-date, so 2021-05-03. and I would infact often get myself confused on if that was 3 May or 5 March.

But they rolled out this change that will let me choose my preferred date format and y'all.

I can set my date format to show as "Thurs, 5 May, 2021 2:35pm"

Ahhhhhhh

SO GOOD

this increases my visibility and cuts down on mistakes so much i'm so happy i could dance.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    The woman I was seeing at the time and I did a taco tour around Portland a few years ago. There's good tacos to be had. There's a few legit places in the back of tiendas.
    Also, it's not uncommon for people to give the finger to California license plates. I think it's less common now, but a co-worker told me that when they were looking for a house, they'd roll up and see the outline of California with a red circle and a line through it. It's safe to say there's been resentment, but I really do think it's decreased.

Me, I'm probably getting out of Portland and heading across the river to Vancouver.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Any particular reason why?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, I got a surprise raise today. A surprise 20% raise. That was...quite the surprise.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So, I got a surprise raise today. A surprise 20% raise. That was...quite the surprise.
    Next round is on you.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    If you're not measuring all distances in attoparsecs you're not even trying

*laughs in planck's length*

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh speaking of thousandths of an inch.

When someone says I got it within fifty thousandths of an inch, this is an example of terrible American English right, they mean 50 x 1 / 1000 right? Not 1 / 50,000?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Blake T wrote: »

When someone says I got it within fifty thousandths of an inch, this is an example of terrible American English right, they mean 50 x 1 / 1000 right? Not 1 / 50,000?

In this case the noun is "thousandths of an inch" and the adjective is "fifty" so yeah, they mean 50 (1in/1000)

e: this isn't even really a problem of American English, it's more an awkward interaction between English language, fractions, and Imperial measurements.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Some combo of legit dislike of gentrification/house price inflation as tech money flees California house prices, along with perceived ignorance of "true" pnw culture. Also a lot of right wingers hate the idea of California. And the pnw is a stark mix of rather left wing (lots of Portland and some surrounding areas) some very liberal as a pejorative (looking at you ted wheeler and Seattle, and "oh my god you want a white ethno state you actual fascists" racist. Which...Oregon was a little founded for, unfortunately.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Oregon: Legal to be black since 1976!

e: it's actually 1926 lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_black_exclusion_laws

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Oregon: Legal to be black since 1976!

e: it's actually 1926 lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_black_exclusion_laws

What's 50 years between friends?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular

When a maternity leave advocate talks about mils they mean MILS (Mom I’d Like to Support).

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Next round is on you.

next round of raises that is

• Options

Some combo of legit dislike of gentrification/house price inflation as tech money flees California house prices, along with perceived ignorance of "true" pnw culture. Also a lot of right wingers hate the idea of California. And the pnw is a stark mix of rather left wing (lots of Portland and some surrounding areas) some very liberal as a pejorative (looking at you ted wheeler and Seattle, and "oh my god you want a white ethno state you actual fascists" racist. Which...Oregon was a little founded for, unfortunately.

Funnily enough basically sounds exactly like actual California, just not the popular conception of California in the media.

California is mostly liberal cities and then the suburbs skew more and more conservative and the rural areas are majority conservative.

We’ve got the same gnashing of teeth over gentrification and the “true” nature of California changing. Mostly by old white people mad about immigration.

My city in California in particular was a “sundown town” into the 1960s. The head of the Western Division of the American Nazi party lived here. As did a Grand Cyclops of the KKK. Plenty of Trump flags during the last election cycle, and you didn’t have to drive far out of the city to start seeing majority Trump flags.

California tends to be the same story as the rest of America with the same ugly ugly past and legacy with a through-line to the present day. Main difference is the cities in California are big enough and liberal enough to, most of the time, direct the overall policy trends of the state.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Seven meetings today. First one was at 8:30. Last one is 4:00-5:00.

Come on.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Next round is on you.

Next round...of raises.

edit: Magic Pink beat me.

edit 2: To this joke.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Seven meetings today. First one was at 8:30. Last one is 4:00-5:00.

Come on.

Oh dang. And I was.complaining because I have two meetings.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    Good news: We're all getting a massive 2.5% pay increase with "discretionary" bonus awards for those who have achieved a Strong on their annual rating (Of course this is nothing to do with the now steady outflow of experienced colleagues to our competitors after last year's pay freeze, it's because the board wuv us sooooo much!)

Bad news: I just investigated a case where the call handler not only repeated the email address back phonetically (and correctly) but sent a test email to the correct address and yet somehow STILL fucking managed to send the actual email with confidential info to the wrong email address.

Would anyone like to take a wild guess about an obvious defining characteristic of the caller? Like maybe the first or second thing you might notice about them?

They're an executive?

The caller whose name was mis-spelled was of the female persuasion. Again.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Uggghhhh, time to launch an investigation into why the strict controls put in place to prevent two lots of raw material from mixing together broke down.

The good news is that the lots in question have both been approved for use by the lab so we only have to do a mountain of paperwork.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Next round is on you.

Next round...of raises.

edit: Magic Pink beat me.

edit 2: To this joke.

/hides baseball bat

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Funnily enough basically sounds exactly like actual California, just not the popular conception of California in the media.

California is mostly liberal cities and then the suburbs skew more and more conservative and the rural areas are majority conservative.

We’ve got the same gnashing of teeth over gentrification and the “true” nature of California changing. Mostly by old white people mad about immigration.

My city in California in particular was a “sundown town” into the 1960s. The head of the Western Division of the American Nazi party lived here. As did a Grand Cyclops of the KKK. Plenty of Trump flags during the last election cycle, and you didn’t have to drive far out of the city to start seeing majority Trump flags.

California tends to be the same story as the rest of America with the same ugly ugly past and legacy with a through-line to the present day. Main difference is the cities in California are big enough and liberal enough to, most of the time, direct the overall policy trends of the state.

Yeah, we're escaping from the heart of Californias Trump Country. When I look out my front window I can see no less than 9 TRUMP2020 STOP THE STEAL flags. Its...not great. The wonderful thing, though, is that once I leave I never have to come back! No family in the area, no friends here, nothing. Good lord this summer can't happen soon enough. Oh, and its going to be in the mid 90's here today and its creeping ever closer to 100+. Its 80 in Portland and they're getting rain later this week. I haven't seen rain since January.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I swear, every time I write up a proposal or documentation and ask others to review/comment on it, my work ethic drops like a stone. It's like.. I am just waiting for that feedback on pins and needles, like it means something, and I can't stop thinking about or focusing on it, when I KNOW that if I do other work, the time will pass and they'll get to it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Yeah, we're escaping from the heart of Californias Trump Country. When I look out my front window I can see no less than 9 TRUMP2020 STOP THE STEAL flags. Its...not great. The wonderful thing, though, is that once I leave I never have to come back! No family in the area, no friends here, nothing. Good lord this summer can't happen soon enough. Oh, and its going to be in the mid 90's here today and its creeping ever closer to 100+. Its 80 in Portland and they're getting rain later this week. I haven't seen rain since January.

Yup that right there was the main reason I left california (aside from a job opportunity) to move up here to Washington state. When I was having thanksgiving at my parents place several years ago and the temp cracked 100 degrees, in freaking November I just gave up on dealing with California "Summer". My body doesn't deal with heat very well so having the regular precipitation up here has been a godsend.

....just wish the housing price explosion didn't follow me up here, but I guess the increase in pay has made up for it.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

In this case the noun is "thousandths of an inch" and the adjective is "fifty" so yeah, they mean 50 (1in/1000)

e: this isn't even really a problem of American English, it's more an awkward interaction between English language, fractions, and Imperial measurements.

Someone tells me they got it "within 50 thousandths of an inch" I'll ask them to please reduce their fractions.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    I used cursive pretty much exclusively from second grade (when I learned how) through college because I could write so much faster in cursive than in print. I only got out of the habit when I started taking a lot of programming classes, because it's hard to write code/pseudocode in cursive.

My handwriting in general is much worse now than it was in college, mostly because I don't use it nearly as much. I'd like to fix that; but also I have a terrible writing deathgrip, so I'd need to basically retrain myself from the ground up, and so far I find my attempts to correct my grip intensely frustrating. It's so slow! And I can write so much faster if I revert to the wrong way! Sure my whole arm tires within seconds but at least it's fast!

Question for the cursive-haters in the thread: do you think there's value in being able to at least read cursive? So many historical documents are written in it - including a lot of family history stuff from just a generation or two ago. Hell, my mom still sends me handwritten cards in cursive. I can't imagine not being able to read them.

I don’t hate cursive, but I do have to read handwritten case notes by doctors, nurses, and a range of allied health staff, which basically ends up being a discordant pile of elegant cursive, scribbled cursive, the first three letters of a word followed by a long squiggly line, chicken scratches, just scribbles, micrographia, ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME, print but the i’s dotted with little circles, or some mishmash therein.

Everyone on our team seems to be good at deciphering one type of writing. There are even doctors’ notes where we’re basically like, oh, it’s so-and-so, only Clinician A can read that so really this will just have to wait until they’re in on Wednesday. (Not really but it comes close sometimes.)

It doesn’t help that most of the notes come from pretty time-poor folks, either. It’s like a broken typewriter sneezed in the middle of a whirlwind during an earthquake.

If you want someone to decipher cursive, get ye to a social worker that has to read notes from a range of rushed, time-poor health professionals. We’ll figure that shit out. Eventually.

So my screen name is some stupid shit I came up with when I was like 15 that is a sort of still phonetically accurate mangling of "Two-Fisted Death" because I saw someone with that name in StarCraft lobby and as a teenager I thought it was super cool, but it wouldn't fit in the name field of the MUD I first used it in.

In my senior year in college I was super into puzzle pirates, where I also used the name. At one point someone in my flag was like "Tofu, what even is your name?" and immediately someone else chimed in with the correct answer.

I was shocked, because he was literally the first person to just instantly jump to the right answer and asked why.
    His response: "I'm a pharmacist. It's what I do all day. "

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    I used cursive pretty much exclusively from second grade (when I learned how) through college because I could write so much faster in cursive than in print. I only got out of the habit when I started taking a lot of programming classes, because it's hard to write code/pseudocode in cursive.

My handwriting in general is much worse now than it was in college, mostly because I don't use it nearly as much. I'd like to fix that; but also I have a terrible writing deathgrip, so I'd need to basically retrain myself from the ground up, and so far I find my attempts to correct my grip intensely frustrating. It's so slow! And I can write so much faster if I revert to the wrong way! Sure my whole arm tires within seconds but at least it's fast!

Question for the cursive-haters in the thread: do you think there's value in being able to at least read cursive? So many historical documents are written in it - including a lot of family history stuff from just a generation or two ago. Hell, my mom still sends me handwritten cards in cursive. I can't imagine not being able to read them.

I don’t hate cursive, but I do have to read handwritten case notes by doctors, nurses, and a range of allied health staff, which basically ends up being a discordant pile of elegant cursive, scribbled cursive, the first three letters of a word followed by a long squiggly line, chicken scratches, just scribbles, micrographia, ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME, print but the i’s dotted with little circles, or some mishmash therein.

Everyone on our team seems to be good at deciphering one type of writing. There are even doctors’ notes where we’re basically like, oh, it’s so-and-so, only Clinician A can read that so really this will just have to wait until they’re in on Wednesday. (Not really but it comes close sometimes.)

It doesn’t help that most of the notes come from pretty time-poor folks, either. It’s like a broken typewriter sneezed in the middle of a whirlwind during an earthquake.

If you want someone to decipher cursive, get ye to a social worker that has to read notes from a range of rushed, time-poor health professionals. We’ll figure that shit out. Eventually.

So my screen name is some stupid shit I came up with when I was like 15 that is a sort of still phonetically accurate mangling of "Two-Fisted Death" because I saw someone with that name in StarCraft lobby and as a teenager I thought it was super cool, but it wouldn't fit in the name field of the MUD I first used it in.

In my senior year in college I was super into puzzle pirates, where I also used the name. At one point someone in my flag was like "Tofu, what even is your name?" and immediately someone else chimed in with the correct answer.

I was shocked, because he was literally the first person to just instantly jump to the right answer and asked why.
    His response: "I'm a pharmacist. It's what I do all day. "

oh i keep reading it as "toys of death"

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sigh
    Well we are back to how we used to do it when I first started long ago at the hell known to men that 2nd shift no longer called Cap 2 just unloads the trucks and downstacks sorting the freight
    As we were supposed to show/tell them how I do frozen {sadly I had to work it all by myself once again} I said after the 3rd time what goes where to my manager just create a note since they are doing it back there [Just outside the frozen door in that area} the note saying this goes to these pallets so if they don't have the same people and neither you or any of the other managers can explain it to them use a default?
    Alas he just stared at me. I know they don't get the best and brightest for managers at the hell known to men but it doesn't take much to figure out a way to fix that problem that doesn't require constant oversight
    As in the pep rally they do at the start of every shift they said the words of doom "if you know anyone needing a job have them come down and apply" I know my brother and I just survive on what I make but I have told him he would be bat shit insane to apply there

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    ah, Puzzle Pirates. My first/gateway "MMO", so many years ago.