As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Washing a new rug?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
I know that typically, especially for fabrics and textiles and the like, it's recommended you wash them before wearing them. It was even recommended to wash a bathroom mat before using it for the first time, which never actually occurred to me in the past.

I have parquet floors (thin wooden tiles on top of a granite (or stone or whatever?) foundation. The floor is pretty clean, but I'm a bit of an OCD germaphobe and I really can't stomach touching the floor itself. But I just bought (a) a bean bag chair and (b) I'm getting into exercise now and there are times where I'll need to be on the floor.

I'm also looking for a good yoga mat.

I guess I could get a small rug and possibly throw that in the washer but the idea kinda worries me - I don't want to break the building's washing machine :P

What do people usually do? I'm just gonna order something relatively small on Amazon or some seller like that.

Also, are yoga mats typically washable? Should I wash that too?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Depends on the size of the rug/mat.
    If we're talking 2x3 feet or so, like a bath mat or a welcome mat then you should be fine throwing it through a washer.
    Any bigger though and you'd probably want to get a carpet shampooer to give it a deep clean, then hang it from a line or across a banister to dry (you don't want to keep a damp rug on a parquet floor, might damage the wood).

Check any labels on it first though and see if it has instructions.

• Options
    I guess I’m more asking if it’s necessary? I’m not finding many answers online to that but it actually doesn’t sound like it’s very necessary.

I ended up buying a 6x11 shag carpet.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I don't think it's necessary, Maybe if your buying second hand, but if it's straight from the factory I don't think it's hugely necessary.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Thank you.

Buying it from amazon but same thing I guess. Unless the warehouse folks open it and cut a rug on it before putting it in the box and shipping it to me.

Drez on
  • Options
    Also that pun was intentional.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    You're supposed to wash new clothes before wearing them?

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    You're supposed to wash new clothes before wearing them?

Yes because of all the poisons and fertilizers and sugars and demons they sew into the clothing to make it look fresh on the shelf or in the warehouse.

• Options
    PullmaneyPullmaney Registered User new member
    Yes, wash it.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    You could always go with a company like Ruggable and get machine washable rugs. That's what we use in our house.

• Options
    Thanks. I ended up licking them clean.