As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Me and my wife spent the morning looking at my constipated sons butt to see if there any ..... movement shall we say.

How's everyone else's morning going? :P

I came out to the livingroom to my son trying to add YouTube to the TV. I said, "No, No YouTube on the TV!" and was a little shocked when he squeaked, "buhwhynot?"

Folks. Folks. I might finally be entering the "why" stage.

My initial answer was, "because dad says so" which I appended with "you can get up to too much chaos out there without strict limits and I'm not up for that, like, ever as far as the TV is concerned".

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So, vacations. Specifically vacations with no kids.

For those of you that have family or such that are able to watch your kid(s) for multiple days, do you take vacations without them? For how long? At what ages?

Presumably traveling will be something that we can do again at some point, unlike 2020, so I'm just wondering what other people's thoughts/experiences are here.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I don't think either of our parents could handle the kid for multiple days. I'm looking at the other scenario, which is to bring a bunch of family and friends along on the vacation to spread the child-watching duties around

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    I don't think either of our parents could handle the kid for multiple days. I'm looking at the other scenario, which is to bring a bunch of family and friends along on the vacation to spread the child-watching duties around

I wouldn't trust my parents alone with either of my kids for an hour alone until they were like...9 and already mostly self sufficient.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • amethystoakamethystoak Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

As a stay-at-home parent of a kid who has been in this stage for a while now, I offer my condolences. XD

It's actually pretty cool to see kids start making sense of the world in that way. But I think I lose a little more sanity every day trying to answer all of the why's.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Me and my wife spent the morning looking at my constipated sons butt to see if there any ..... movement shall we say.

How's everyone else's morning going? :P

Actually new research shows poop likely isnt stored in the butt like we've assumed all these years.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Spent my morning trying to get the five year old to eat his breakfast in time to get to daycare promptly while the baby bellowed at me for not shoving food in his face fast enough for his liking. Not awesome. The baby is in the shriek like an angry pterodactyl stage right now.

:so_raven:
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

As a stay-at-home parent of a kid who has been in this stage for a while now, I offer my condolences. XD

It's actually pretty cool to see kids start making sense of the world in that way. But I think I lose a little more sanity every day trying to answer all of the why's.

I actually would prefer why, because it shows an interest in information outside his own head, where he does very good living there. I want him to talk and communicate and ask questions.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    So, vacations. Specifically vacations with no kids.

For those of you that have family or such that are able to watch your kid(s) for multiple days, do you take vacations without them? For how long? At what ages?

Presumably traveling will be something that we can do again at some point, unlike 2020, so I'm just wondering what other people's thoughts/experiences are here.

We did that 2.5 years ago. We went on a two week trip to Japan and left the toddler with my parents for a week and then had my brother-in-law and his then-girlfriend stay at our home for the remaining week. That way the kid could still go to daycare. I was not a fan at first, because I always want us to be a family, but my partner convinced me that it'd be our last chance at a vacation that far away and the kid would be fine.

It turned out fine, he had a great time with his family and didn't miss us very much. I still missed him feel bad that I couldn't bring him along on holiday. The kid still has never left this country (and our country is the size of some counties in the US) and I want him to get to experience more of the world. There was some social stigma, but I think his young age and good relationship with his family made it OK for everyone who bothered asking me why we'd done that.

I would never do it now that he is older. My partner thinks differently atm, but who knows what it'll be like when her mental health improves and the kid is older than 4. I genuinely hope so, but at the moment I'm more concerned with partner ever getting healthy enough to be able to take care of the kid in the first place.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Sons sleep schedule seems to have gone backwards again after a week of doing really well.

Nothings changed but he's back to waking every two hours on the dot and then every hour after 0400 with him fully waking at 0600.

Exhausted. Was getting optimistic that me and my wife could start staying up later and watching films etc in the evening seeing as we weren't getting up all night with him.

My kid thinks everything typically gendered to girls is lame. We're trying to steer him away from that mindset, but it is not like we are going out of our way to get him to do ballet and wear dresses. My partner always gets a bit snappy when he proclaims that (for example) ballet is lame, even though he has never gone to a ballet lesson.

How do you get a 4 year old to withhold judgement over stuff he knows fuck all about? We try reasoning, but he just applied circular reasoning and doesn't elaborate further. Does he first need to be on the receiving end of unfair judgements from his peers to understand that he does the same?

• ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    My kid thinks everything typically gendered to girls is lame. We're trying to steer him away from that mindset, but it is not like we are going out of our way to get him to do ballet and wear dresses. My partner always gets a bit snappy when he proclaims that (for example) ballet is lame, even though he has never gone to a ballet lesson.

How do you get a 4 year old to withhold judgement over stuff he knows fuck all about? We try reasoning, but he just applied circular reasoning and doesn't elaborate further. Does he first need to be on the receiving end of unfair judgements from his peers to understand that he does the same?
    Huh we're having this exact issue, down to ballet and all (his younger sister likes it) except he's 6. We've mostly gone with 'It's ok that you don't like it, but that doesn't mean that other boys can't.' Probably hasn't helped that his sister's ballet class is all 3 year old girls.
    We do have him try to give everything a chance. But honestly, toddler ballet is mostly just picking pretend flowers, rescuing a prince by waving a pretend wand, and not once did anyone get to be a dinosaur or robot. So he watched, danced a little bit, and decided it wasn't for him.

His bestie does ballet, she taught him how place his feet. He then showed her how to rock out with an air guitar.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm not sure we've figured out how to get anyone to withhold judgment over stuff they know fuck all about, let alone a 4 year old. My suggestion would be to not engage when he says whatever his opinion is and instead just show him tons of examples of all kinds of people doing all kinds of things, including explicitly crossing traditional gender roles, and try to sneak the good opinions in the back door.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Love when she tries to sneak a peek at the choreo then reproduce it

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    9am-3pm: Remote school. Constant, every one and a half minutes, non-stop interruptions from the kids all day long. Everyone needs homework assistance/drinks/snacks/help/entertained. Managed to accomplish thirty minutes worth of writing, over the course of six full hours.

3pm: Just about to turn my game on, finally. All three boys, expectantly over my shoulder the second I sit down, the most passive agressive thing in the world, "You know what's fun?? Going to the park! Sure wish *we* could go to a park..."

4pm (One hour from now): "Boy that was fun at the park, but do you know what would be be even better??" (Baby takes over the computer where I write/kids take over videogames)

5pm (Two hours from now): "We're *h-u-n-g-r-y*. Make us some, (Little Man): Chicken Nuggets!, (Middle Guy): Pizza!, (Tiny Wonder): I won't eat *either* of those!

6pm: (Three hours from now) I'm hiding in a bathroom. Basically immediately after shutting the door, a scuffle breaks out from the other room. "I'm telling....D-ad!" From the other side of the door, someone starts knocking, and doesn't let up . One of the children starts screaming, but joyfully. Silently as possible, I lock the door

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I've had another sperm test done which has come back more or less the same as the one I did three years ago.

So looks like IVF will be our route for our next child.

The results were what I was expecting but it's still a bit upsetting. We're fortunate that we've got one child and that his IVF was free on the NHS.

My parents will help us with the costs for the next round but it's daunting knowing that it's such a huge cost and a positive outcome isn't certain.

We've already agreed that adoption is something we'll do if IVF isn't successful.

I know we're incredibly fortunate that we have a healthy son so can't complain too much.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I've had another sperm test done which has come back more or less the same as the one I did three years ago.

The results were what I was expecting but it's still a bit upsetting. We're fortunate that we've got one child and that his IVF was free on the NHS.

My parents will help us with the costs for the next round but it's daunting knowing that it's such a huge cost and a positive outcome isn't certain.

We've already agreed that adoption is something we'll do if IVF isn't successful.

I know we're incredibly fortunate that we have a healthy son so can't complain too much.

I went through similar in our path to have kids, coming back with zero count. We ended up using donor sperm to finally have our kiddo and it took a long time, a lot of money (holy shit), and a lot of heartbreak. But we got there.

Just because you've been successful once doesn't mean you can't complain. The situation sucks and you're totally within your rights to complain about it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

Just because you had success already doesn't invalidate your feelings about the next rodeo.

On the other side I got zero alive on my post vasectomy test so wooo! Shooting blanks over here.

Wait you mean you don't just test by having a bunch of sex and seeing what happens?

Shit.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Well

After several months of waiting and IVF treatments, we have implantation!

Only time will tell if it takes, but send your good vibes our way if you can :)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I’m sending you all my sticky thoughts.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The kid has had a cold for the last week or so, this was passed onto my wife who, as tradition has passed it onto me.

I am now old enough that apparently when I get a cold my entire face hurts.

In good news, all the skin has stopped falling off my hands from the hand foot and mouth.

In other news is the skin is now falling off my feet.

Peen wrote: »
    Wait you mean you don't just test by having a bunch of sex and seeing what happens?

Shit.

I mean, that's what we did for years. Hence the actual tests after since there was no babby formed.

Shit.

Hey peen, I’m not going to sit here and scream at you, because I don’t think this is your intent but considering that people are just talking about this is a low key shitty thing to say considering that people are literally just talking about going through ivf.

You rolling in with hohoho, I just have this thing called sex and see what happens really cuts down on these people who are doubt going on an emotional roller coaster.

Blake T wrote: »

Shit.

Hey peen, I’m not going to sit here and scream at you, because I don’t think this is your intent but considering that people are just talking about this is a low key shitty thing to say considering that people are literally just talking about going through ivf.

You rolling in with hohoho, I just have this thing called sex and see what happens really cuts down on these people who are doubt going on an emotional roller coaster.

I think he was making a joke about my post vasectomy test?

I know that, (and I hope that is clear with what I said) I’m just saying in context with everyone else right, now, it isn’t the greatest thing to say.

I mean I said something about a test immediately after MegaMan said his post vasectomy test was negative, and I think I was the first person in this thread to say that I got snipped so I'm on that record, so I thought what I meant was pretty clear and obvious, but if I offended anyone who has difficulty conceiving I'm sorry and it was an accident and I wish everyone the best best of luck.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    My wife has these black maternity leggings that rise up real high. She wears them shirtless when breastfeeding. Here's a pic (NSFW)

ox3rsuszx2lo.jpg

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    *John Oliver likes this

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Somehow Burpette has got super into Paw Patrol and now it's all she watches

It's awful crap but she only gets ~15 minutes a day of TV so I want her to be able to choose

I miss Maddie, and Ben&Holly and everything else. Even Peppa Pig is better

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Peppa Pig is great. I love the subtle grown-up-targeted jokes.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Somehow Burpette has got super into Paw Patrol and now it's all she watches

It's awful crap but she only gets ~15 minutes a day of TV so I want her to be able to choose

I miss Maddie, and Ben&Holly and everything else. Even Peppa Pig is better
    kime wrote: »
    Peppa Pig is great. I love the subtle grown-up-targeted jokes.

Have you heard the word of our lord and savior Bluey?

What in the name of all that is good? Peppa Pig fucking blows.

Ripley watches like thirty minutes a weekday after school which helps her unwind but more on the weekend, depending on the activity schedule.

Mira, Royal Detective is pretty good. Strong smart female characters, everyone is Indian, and the mongoose sidekicks are funny.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Peppa pig is not as painful as some other things.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Peppa Pig was more bearable the more I watched it with my daughter. Some fun stuff aimed at parents.

https://youtu.be/jil0WCh_UoQ

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Was rough housing with Athena and did something that annoyed her, so she said under her breath, "Stupid dada" which made Mrs Moon gasp and Athena immediately drop to the couch and hide under the blanket because she knew she did something bad.

I'm proud that I managed to not laugh out loud and reinforce bad behavior as funny.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the urge to laugh when a kid does something technically wrong that you don't really want to reinforce..
    The times I have actually laughed have come around to bite me enough times that I usually hold my tongue.. but..
    Well, my son did say the words "you're not the boss of me!" And playing the tmbg song didn't really help..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I’ve had to dismiss my wife from the room multiple times because she cannot keep a straight face.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page