As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's cosmetics, anyway. Like the Blood Knights weapons all being the same. If there aren't options that can be confused it doesn't really matter.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I want to give the new leaked SBGL battletome a shot, but I don't have any points worth of spooky models, so I gotta get creative. The goal was to use the minis I got in Cursed City, plus whatever other stuff I had lying around, to create the SPOOOOKIEST list possible. It's going to be:

Radukar the Wolf
    Gorslav the Gravekeeper
    Torgillius the Chamberlain
    Watch Captain Halgrim
    Kosargi Nightguard
    Varskyr
    Vrykos Blood-born
    10 Graveguard
    10 Deathrattle Skeletons
    10 Deadwalker Zombies
    The Sepulchral Guard
    Lady Harrow's Mournflight (basically 4 Myrmourn Banshees)
    6 Fell Bats
    The Thorns of the Briar Queen
    Duke Crackmarrow and the Grymwatch
    6 Rat Swarms

It's not quite a legal list - all of this comes out to 1797 points (counting 10 zombies as 57 points since the minimum unit size is 20 and I only have 10). Also, death doesn't have any rat swarms so I'm using the Skaven profile. We're going to be playing on a 4x4 with a bunch of trees and two Sigmarite Mausoleum's worth (so 4 Gardens of Morr) of graveyard terrain. The guy I play AOS with doesn't know what I'll be using, but I told him I'm playing Death, my list is really stupid, has very little synergy, and that he had better be ready to get SPOOKED!

I fully expect to get slaughtered, but it should be a fun time.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It's worth noting even if you field less than the minimum number, you still pay the full points for it. EG if you field 10/20 zombies you still pay the points for 20 zombies.

I am very tempted to try to make a dire wolves based army, because at 135 points with 2 wounds each, with a +1 to attack/wound on charge, they are actually not bad at all. Also I love the models and they would be extremely fun to paint.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It's worth noting even if you field less than the minimum number, you still pay the full points for it. EG if you field 10/20 zombies you still pay the points for 20 zombies.

I know that that is the matched play rule, but it's a stupid rule so I have elected to ignore it.

• Options
    Reading the Legion of Blood article and it'S kinda funny how it emphazises their reliance on deathrattle and how thoye are especially regimented and disciplined at the same time GW relaces the old square base designed skellies with the new ones that look way more comically shambling.

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular

I am very tempted to try to make a dire wolves based army, because at 135 points with 2 wounds each, with a +1 to attack/wound on charge, they are actually not bad at all. Also I love the models and they would be extremely fun to paint.

I have been thinking about jumping into AoS with the draculas but I’m not a fan of horde type armies, so I was also considering running wolves and blood knights as my only core units

Or just playing a different faction, because I do like those new stormcast they showed off in the preview

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Nechriah wrote: »

I have been thinking about jumping into AoS with the draculas but I’m not a fan of horde type armies, so I was also considering running wolves and blood knights as my only core units

Or just playing a different faction, because I do like those new stormcast they showed off in the preview

I have never had the opportunity to play them (stupid covid), but I rather enjoyed my chonky beast claw raiders. Fun to custom them to be 50% female, too.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Malerion is in the latest Broken realms fiction article on the Warhammer Community website.

Hopefully we'll see something of his Elves soon.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Malerion is in the latest Broken realms fiction article on the Warhammer Community website.

Hopefully we'll see something of his Elves soon.

d0oictady797.jpg

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Interview with Bat-Boy on page 6!

Also;

Elvis Presley Moon Base discovered?! Page 12!

I love it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Hmm, I wonder what the reason is for releasing what Gravelords stuff they have and holding off on the rest. I'm honestly not super fond of the new Vampire Lord? Like they're cool and all, but I wish there was a bit more customization options and the hair is neat, but it seems very... fragile. I might just wait for the Blood Knight Kastellan to be my main Vampire, and/or go with a Mounted Wight King and go all skeleton army.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Hmm, I wonder what the reason is for releasing what Gravelords stuff they have and holding off on the rest. I'm honestly not super fond of the new Vampire Lord? Like they're cool and all, but I wish there was a bit more customization options and the hair is neat, but it seems very... fragile. I might just wait for the Blood Knight Kastellan to be my main Vampire, and/or go with a Mounted Wight King and go all skeleton army.

LoN is woefully out of date, and a new edition is the best time to basically completely redo an army

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am trying to hold out hope for Cursed City stuff being made, as they haven't released any of the clear "These were supposed to be cursed city models" characters or similar for this first wave. I do need me a bunch of Dire Wolves though...

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    PiptheFair wrote: »

LoN is woefully out of date, and a new edition is the best time to basically completely redo an army

I mean you can go all skelly's in a Gravelords force, if that's what you mean, though obviously you'll want a Vampire or two in there for the benefits the different bloodlines give that Wight Kings can't provide. Right now a Legion of Blood force with a Wight King on Steed as general. Then probably a generic Lord or maybe just some Blood Knights to capitalize on the Legion of Blood's favored retainer rule.

Is it normal for like 4/5ths of the units in a book to be leaders?

Edit: also I wonder why they didn't announce/aren't releasing new Black Knight or Grave Guard minis

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    the warscrolls updated. Vampires can't take horses anymore. Also Black Knights are uhhh not a unit you want to invest heavily in anyway.

Grave Guard meanwhile feel like the Phoenix Guard to Soulblight's CoS.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Ah well, goodbye to their generic summoning ability that made them a regular Nighthaunt ally.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    the warscrolls updated. Vampires can't take horses anymore. Also Black Knights are uhhh not a unit you want to invest heavily in anyway.

Grave Guard meanwhile feel like the Phoenix Guard to Soulblight's CoS.

I still like the Black Knights thematically, even if they kind of suck now. Was thinking of subbing in the Ulfen Watch from Cursed City for Grave Guard. Might just buy them straight from Ebay. I don't know how their price would compare to a re-release of the Grave Guard but on their own they look about 60ish dollars

• Options
    Why has a fully armoured skelly knight with shield a 5+ save? And no actual Lance charging bonus. That special rule also seems like they're supposed to be run in minimum size units?

Why are they so bad and different compared to grave guard?

Speaking of grave guard, why are their two handed blades worse at wounding than at hitting? Most of the time the end result is the same but it just feels weird.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    there's been a lot of lateral-ish changes on the warscrolls for this book that wildly shift how you're going to be using some units, but the absolute gutting Black Knights took is baffling.

Like, I'd kinda be okay with it if they became unconditional battleline but there's not even that.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really other than getting the vampire with bats in her hair and the half beast lord just to paint I have little interest in them

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I feel like they're kinda just taking the piss now

This is the new Start Collecting Soulblight Gravelords box

Or7zzgiy5cP1kKT8.jpg

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    and now 3/4 of the Death start collectings come with a Black Knight kit.

Cursed City Radukar & co. also coming out as a separate purchase which might be giving credence to the idea that they have the kits but haven't been able to source the paper stuff.

• Options
    Online only selling of Cursed City figures has to be the death knell for anyone hoping for more copies to be made.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Weirdly I would've pegged the skeleton/zombie sprue as being part of a new starter.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I got that Start Collecting box mostly to get a discount on extra stuff together with Arkhan the Black. I intend to run the Black Knights as Kavalos Deathriders.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Online only selling of Cursed City figures has to be the death knell for anyone hoping for more copies to be made.

Yeah, genuinely disappointed to see that announced this week. I honestly wonder what the fuck happened behind the scenes to Cursed City.

• Options
    Weirdly I would've pegged the skeleton/zombie sprue as being part of a new starter.

The minor enemy sprue from Cursed City only has five skeletons and five zombies on it (plus three rats, three bats, two objectives, and some other assorted gribblies), so in order to make a minimum sized squad they would have to throw four sprues into the box, plus whatever they decide for a Hero, plus whatever they decide for the non hero/non troops unit. It makes more sense to just throw a standard 20 skellies into the box. Also, I am assuming that the decision on what models were going into that box (plus the manufacturing) started waaaay before the Cursed City fiasco. It's still kinda goofy to slap the hell out of a unit immediately before announcing it will be part of a SC box (as is getting everyone to preorder stuff separately before announcing the SC box that a lot of people likely would have gotten instead of individual units, but that's business, babyyyyyyy).

Hopefully there will be some way for people to get ahold of the Skeleton/Zombie sprue at some point in the future though, because the models are really cool. One of my pet peeves in the hobby is having multiple identical sculpts on the table, so having some unique sculpts to break up the army of identical skeletons or zombies would be a nice option for other people who feel the same and want to beef up their army.

I think them selling Radukar and the Court on their own is great for people who were unable to get ahold of Cursed City (as long as they're not grossly overpriced :rotate: ), but my guess is it's a panic move by GW, and they're selling them webstore only because they don't have time or availability to have specific boxes printed (and will arrive in the standard GW white boxes).

The additional good news is that if they're selling Radukar and the rest of the models separately, than they really can't have them locked together as a single mandatory 755 point unit anymore, which would be really great. Having half of your army's heroes all locked into a single specific dynasty is still a colossal pain in the ass, but baby steps.

• Options
    Unfortunately they are in fact still locked together as a single mandatory 755pt unit in the book.

• Options
    Unfortunately they are in fact still locked together as a single mandatory 755pt unit in the book.

The book was printed before this mess, I wouldn't be surprised if it was FAQ'd either soon or as part of the upcoming General's Handbook.

• Options

The book was printed before this mess, I wouldn't be surprised if it was FAQ'd either soon or as part of the upcoming General's Handbook.

here's hoping

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Yeah, genuinely disappointed to see that announced this week. I honestly wonder what the fuck happened behind the scenes to Cursed City.

Getting the printed materials from China was/is too hard/costly/time-consuming, if I had to hazard a guess. GW does minis in house so it's not a shortage of those (especially given that they're going to sell them on their own).

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    got a headcanon going where there's pallets upon pallets of cardboard cursed city components sitting on the Ever Given.

• Options
    I feel like they're kinda just taking the piss now

This is the new Star Collecting Soulblight Gravelords box

Or7zzgiy5cP1kKT8.jpg

That's a cool looking collection of models and I'd love to play a pure death rattle army but the way the book works from what I've seen this is a pretty garbage way to play it.

• Options
    I'll probably go for mostly deathrattle for thematics, it sucks the black knights are so bad and I hope they update their warscrolls... But I'll still play them. That being said... What's a good way of differentiating a Wight Queen?

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'll probably go for mostly deathrattle for thematics, it sucks the black knights are so bad and I hope they update their warscrolls... But I'll still play them. That being said... What's a good way of differentiating a Wight Queen?

Writing "Wight Queen" on the base :P

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular

Scraps of hair seems like your best bet, on account of all the skelebones and all. Or you could do a Tomb Kings trick and give them a death mask maybe.

• Options
    You could have valkyrie boob plate armour even if there’s nothing left to fill it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    I mean, they got no skin, so the best way I can think of would be manner of dressing?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    You could have valkyrie boob plate armour even if there’s nothing left to fill it.

I was leaning towards swapping in the body of an armored woman of some sort for a more 'female' armor shape, if not necessarily a sororitas style breatplate.

Edit: If I get the Blood Knights, I can maybe swap out the body of the female Blood Knight with the Wight's.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    The crimson court vampires having only one or two wounds is surprising. Also prince duvalle can't fly while the court kinda can, but weirdly with a special ability instead of just having the fly rule like the vampire lord.

This discussion has been closed.