As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]: My Way!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    All I know of Dirge of Cerberus comes from seeing Shelke in World of Final Fantasy.

She's a damn good Champion Medal summon; Countertek heals and Esuna's the party, and Dispels the enemy party.

...and that's about it. She rescues Lann and Reynn before they have a boss fight in Figaro Castle's Mako Reactor dungeon?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The best explanation for Dirge is the Jurassic Park quote; they were so focused on the fact that they could make this game they didn't stop think if they should.

I'm genuinely interested in how the mobile compilation thing is going to handle all the different games, not to mention Advent Children.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The Japanese version of Dirge was apparently even worse. It's like they released a beta version of a game, then went "hold on this sucks we gotta make some improvements", and the finished product still sucked.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The best explanation for Dirge is the Jurassic Park quote; they were so focused on the fact that they could make this game they didn't stop think if they should.

Also applicable to using Gackt for Crisis Core..

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    The Japanese version of Dirge was apparently even worse. It's like they released a beta version of a game, then went "hold on this sucks we gotta make some improvements", and the finished product still sucked.

Square did this for a lot of their games. An initial release for the Japanese market, followed by an improved global release, sometimes followed by an even more complete re-release in Japan.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The more compilation references and tie-ins the better. They already referenced 3 or 4 compilation things, keep 'em coming.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh, I'd definitely say a solid "no" to that. Square got real stupid with that spinoff stuff, as evidenced by Band-Aid Face. I'd get pretty cheesed off if they start using stuff like that as an excuse to turn the whole thing into another Belt Universe plus really awful characters that are more belt than person.

I'm liking the look of that Fort Condor minigame, though. I remember for the original game that I played the whole thing at least twice before it occurred to me that I could go back and play missions at Fort Condor beyond the first and last fights. Having it something like a boardgame is a great way to make sure you can always access it.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    fort condor was how you got a shit ton of All materia, mastered them, and then had infinite money

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I don't think I ever had to sell more than the first one or two All materia I got in order to have plenty of money to buy everything for getting a golden chocobo, plus paying off the shady guy at the Golden Saucer entrance to get a fuckload of GP without wasting a pile of hours on the arcade games. Fortunately, money was not much of an issue in FF7.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed Dirge. Needed more Yuffie, though.

wVEsyIc.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I enjoyed Dirge. Needed more Yuffie, though.

There's two of us. Hi5.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    No, FF9 progress today. I couldn't sleep the night before and I had to take a nap.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

kime wrote: »
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    See. Now I have to play my copy of Dirge I bought ages ago.

You really don't. And shouldn't.

Nobody should play Dirge of Cerberus.

Dirge wasn't that bad imo

It's not amazing but it's very clearly a Vincent story and I was fine with that going in. It's not a "sequel" to FF7. It's a gaiden. Gameplay it's not special but I liked the weapon customization.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I like to think that the gun customizing set the stage for resonance of fate to commit to scopes on scopes on scopes

initiatefailure on
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I have some mixed feelings right now about Intergrade and INTERmission. I'm excited to have Yuffie back, and her fighting style sounds pretty interesting. The fact that you can upgrade the PS4 version to the PS5 version for free is great (well except if you claimed the free PS4 version from PS Plus but that's fine). INTERmission being a separate code in the box for Intergrade is a little annoying, even though it doesn't apply to me. INTERmission being $20 as a separate DLC is a bummer, I was hoping for $10 (to cover the cost difference between PS4 and PS5 games) but expecting $15-20 so I'm not terribly surprised. Then I read that the deluxe edition, or collector's edition, or whatever special edition of Intergrade there is will include an exclusive weapon for Yuffie, and that kind of annoyed me. I doubt the limit break mechanics have changed from the rest of the game, so that sounds like it is going to lock non-deluxe owners out of a limit break. Unless it's just a reskin of one of her other weapons, I'm kind of unhappy about that.

On the plus side, it sounds like it is adding two chapters to the game instead of the one I was expecting. It's also supposed to be a direct lead-in to part 2, which is neat but doesn't really impact much since it's still probably going to be quite a while before Part 2 comes out. Even with the downsides I have noted, I'm really excited to get more FF7 Remake (my favorite game I played in 2020 by a good margin), hopefully I'm able to find a PS5 before it comes out.

Thoughts on FF7 Remake:
    Aerith is clearly aware of what her fate was in the original timeline, and I don't think she is necessarily making active attempts to avoid that fate. She very specifically tells Cloud that he can't fall in love with her and seems prepared to make the same sacrifice in this timeline. However throughout the game I think she starts to realize that the future is not yet written and can be changed, which it absolutely has in a few ways already, primarily shown with Zack surviving the fight at his return to the city. Now we have Yuffie showing up in Midgar and potentially meeting up with Cloud and friends well before she did in the original timeline, so the butterflies are definitely flapping. I am very excited to see where things end up going, and deep in my heart I hold out hope that we might get a branching storyline based on choices you make in game, even if that hope is extremely unlikely to be realized.

steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I am 100% stoked on the DLC as well as the free upgrade. Will play through Yuffie, and then probably the main game again for the 60fps if I finish RE and Returnal by then.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'm still over here, dehydrated, wishing for the cool soothing cup of a PC port announcement.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I'm still over here, dehydrated, wishing for the cool soothing cup of a PC port announcement.

Word (Nate Drake) is that an announcement is coming this year.

Interestingly, the same word is that NO Xbox port will be mentioned this year.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    This year is incredibly disheartening as that could put it almost 2 years after release. Ugh.

Keep in mind that companies are usually forced to announce at least 1 month ahead of physical releases, since someone will leak stuff from the supply chain otherwise. The PC announcement to release could however be very short, hell it might even be day/date with the PS5 release and they are just being quiet now since they announced at Sony's event. (Miles Morales was confirmed for PS4 like... several days after the PS5 reveal?) Whether the DLC would come later to PC is quite a different matter.

Kai_San wrote: »
    This year is incredibly disheartening as that could put it almost 2 years after release. Ugh.

Given that the PS5 shortages are supposed to last into 2022, the PC release may the soonest most people may be able to reasonably actually get to play the DLC content.

FF9 Update
    I made it to Eiko's home. Had to fight a giant boss that used earthquake. I had to cast float to avoid it. He also cast Curaga so I hammered him with summons. There is a shrine puzzle with stones I have to complete.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Okay, so if these DLCs are PS5 exclusives, which is bullshit by the way, should we expect part 2 to be a PS5 exclusive as well?

I'd like to own a PS5 at some point but that's not looking too likely until like 2023.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    The next part is almost certainly PS5 exclusive. Here's hoping that PC/Xbox ports aren't held forever, since I bet keeping it to PS5 only is gonna hamstring their sales.

• CSStheGr8CSStheGr8 Registered User regular
    Can't imagine part 2 will be about before 23 or 24 anyway.

3DS FC: 2363-6921-5075
    The only reason to make it PS5 exclusive is if it genuinely can't be done on a PS4. If Sony are paying them to make an incentive to buy a console they can't make fast enough to sell, they don't deserve to make money.

edited May 2021
    The only reason to make it PS5 exclusive is if it genuinely can't be done on a PS4. If Sony are paying them to make an incentive to buy a console they can't make fast enough to sell, they don't deserve to make money.

Having a hard time parsing this.

Sony is ruthless enough to pay a company to keep a game off of PS4, even temporarily. See: Godfall. Very likely what happened to intergrade because it's pretty bonkers to force a DLC to next gen otherwise.

In the current environment this practice is Sony pissing money away, but these deals were likely made before the severity of demand was known. This is not a situation they would intentionally create, I can't imagine they are so full of malice as to ignore their greed.

This is all gonna be irrelevant for Part 2 because the PS4 will be irrelevant by the time it releases in 2 to 3 years. You will probably even be able to buy PS5s in store!

rahkeesh2000 on
    I figure that SE made this with PS5 in mind; specifically, the SSD. If it has been made with an assumption of a minimum data access speed, trying to make it work on a PS4's drive would hurt.
    If it turns out to still have the loading crawlspaces that the main game has, then I'll agree that there's some paid exclusivity going on.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I mean the idea of a big company like Squenix releasing the next part of their big project on last gen systems over a year to 3 years deep in the current generation is well... yea very unlikely. They are almost certainly focusing on current gen for big projects going forward

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    That's all well and good about focusing on the next generation and I wouldn't be pissed if I could go out and join that generation.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    By the time FF7R Part 2 is out, the PS5 situation will likely be very different.

Renzo wrote: »
    By the time FF7R Part 2 is out, the PS5 situation will likely be very different.

Yeah, we'll be fully into the PS6 shortage at that point.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I do kind of wonder how long it will take to bring out FF7 Remake Part 2. The game engine itself should be pretty much the same as Part 1, so it's not like they are starting from nothing on this work. They did say they didn't make Red XIII playable in Part 1 at least partly because his combat style didn't fit the same paradigm as the other characters (or something like that), so that's certainly something they would still have to complete, but it also sounds like Yuffie's combat style is a fair bit different from the other characters as well. Clearly the changes to bring it to the PS5 have already been done for Intergrade, though it's quite possible there is more optimization they could do.

That still leaves a good chunk of work to be completed though, as there would certainly need to be new environments and new allies/enemies as you leave the city environment behind. They also need to have a script and record the voice acting. I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff that would need to be done, but what I've listed isn't exactly a trivial exercise to be completed in a couple months. It feels like Part 2 should take less time than Part 1, but that doesn't mean it's going to come out this year. I'm thinking maybe the end of 2022 for the holiday season might be a reasonable estimate? Unless they did something silly and didn't start working on Part 2 until they saw the reception that Part 1 got, that could push it back anywhere from a few months to a year depending on how much of the team they lost or got reassigned.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2021
    Their post game interviews alone made it sound like they weren't really working full-speed-ahead right after release. Like they weren't even certain how they wanted to handle the more open areas of the overworld after having just made a game of pure hallways, or that unexpected enthusiasm for Zack was making them reconsider his role. Frankly I'm not surprised if their asset people did nothing but the DLC while a pre-production team hashed out concepts and prototypes, also factoring in the months where Japanese companies in particular struggled to adapt to work-from-home right around FF7R release.

I also have to think that FF16 is slated for 2022 release, which would probably make Part 2 poorly timed for then too. Especially if they are moving people between the two teams to ramp up when finishing the games.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    2022 for 16 seems optimistic to me but maybe???

actually I guess that would be in line with the pace they had between 13 and 15, except they went right into what would eventually shamble its way into being 15's development right after 13 and spent several years trying to fix the original 15 post release rather than working on 16, so this comparison is probably meaningless. If 16 has had a smooth development it could probably come out in 2022, but when did they actually start work on it? Probably right around when they ended development of 15 DLCs?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    16 is the next big FF and I'm guessing that one is gonna be 2022 so I wouldn't expect part 2 until 2024.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    16 is the next big FF and I'm guessing that one is gonna be 2022 so I wouldn't expect part 2 until 2024.

Different dev teams on them though, aren't there?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Different dev teams on them though, aren't there?

Yeah but companies generally don't like having their games compete with each other.

This discussion has been closed.