As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]: My Way!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    16 is the next big FF and I'm guessing that one is gonna be 2022 so I wouldn't expect part 2 until 2024.

Different dev teams on them though, aren't there?

Yeah but companies generally don't like having their games compete with each other.

Definitely zero chance they would release the two within less than probably six months of each other. Given that every damn game these days wants to push DLC on people, I'd bet more like a year minimum between the releases so Squareenix can push DLC at the 3/6/9/12 month marks for FF16, if they release it first.

So either the next chunk of FF7R is going to be no closer than several months before FF16 to drum up extra attention and interest, or it's going to come out no sooner than a year afterwards so as not to impinge on DLC sales.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    2022 for 16 seems optimistic to me but maybe???

actually I guess that would be in line with the pace they had between 13 and 15, except they went right into what would eventually shamble its way into being 15's development right after 13 and spent several years trying to fix the original 15 post release rather than working on 16, so this comparison is probably meaningless. If 16 has had a smooth development it could probably come out in 2022, but when did they actually start work on it? Probably right around when they ended development of 15 DLCs?

Most of the 15 team is making Forspoken. I'm not surprised if there is some staff overlap but 16 could've started during 15's DLC or even sooner.

The other thing that makes me think its coming sooner, aside from Yoshida saying so, is that Sony already outlined exact exclusivity duration, something that did not happen for FF7R until it was a year out. Releasing late this year is even possible and might have been more certain without a pandemic, but I'm still feeling another year off is more likely.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Man. Remember when we got like, 3 numbered titles on the same system?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Enlong wrote: »

Publishers used to be okay with a lot smaller budgets and smaller teams so there was necessarily fewer resources to develop, and it's a lot faster for a team to write a story than make a game. Which is why mid-budget games are the realm of indie developers now and, not at all coincidentally, that's where most breakout hits come from these days. But when you've got a few hundred people on one team with a couple hundred million for a budget, they gotta spend plenty of time making sure the game is going to get back at least what it cost.

I would gladly have an FF7R that's 10-15% less amazing visually (because it's all that polishing the really really top end shit that eats up resources, not the bulk of the cheaper material ) if it meant a story as strong as the original and a yearly release schedule. Knowing that it will probably take the better part of a decade to get and play the remaining two entries for FF7R is not exactly a pleasant thought.

EDIT: The PS1 only had about 5-6 years before the PS2 came out, and the PS4 had basically just as long to work with. So yeah, it's definitely a much slower pace of game release from big companies, outside the usual shit-it-out-every-year garbage from Activision/EA/Ubisoft.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Enlong wrote: »

Yeah but the spinoffs didn't exist in the same way. In the Ps4 generation, instead of Final Fantasy XV through XVII, we got Final Fantasy XV, lots of different FFXIV expansions, FF VII Remake, FF XII Zodiac Age, FF VIII Remastered, FF Dissidia NT, Kingdom Hearts III, two KH Remasters, KH Melody of Memory, Nier Automata, Nier Replicant, Neo The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest XI and XI: S, Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2, Secret of Mana, and Trials of Mana. The way you guys are talking, it's as if SE just sat on their hands instead of... making a shit ton of games, many quite popular and beloved.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    the ports and rereleases absolutely do not count
    square did put out a huge number of releases in the PS1 era but games were both a lot less work to make per same amount of content, and just much smaller in terms of overall amount of stuff in them back then, so it's hard to make a direct comparison

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    square did put out a huge number of releases in the PS1 era but games were both a lot less work to make per same amount of content, and just much smaller in terms of overall amount of stuff in them back then, so it's hard to make a direct comparison

If you're going to use that logic (which I don't really agree with BTW), then:
    Final Fantasy XV, lots of different FFXIV expansions, FF VII Remake, FF XII Zodiac Age, FF VIII Remastered, FF Dissidia NT, Kingdom Hearts III, two KH Remasters, KH Memory of Melody, Nier Automata, Nier Replicant, Neo The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest XI and XI: S, Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2, Secret of Mana, and Trials of Mana.

DQ XI:S is debatable. The 2D game was still a completely separate developed 3DS game, but it never came to the NA market until XI:S. So arguably the list should actually be Dragon Quest XI PS4, Dragon Quest XI 3DS, and Dragon Quest XI:S

Either way that's still a pretty big list.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    2022 for 16 seems optimistic to me but maybe???

actually I guess that would be in line with the pace they had between 13 and 15, except they went right into what would eventually shamble its way into being 15's development right after 13 and spent several years trying to fix the original 15 post release rather than working on 16, so this comparison is probably meaningless. If 16 has had a smooth development it could probably come out in 2022, but when did they actually start work on it? Probably right around when they ended development of 15 DLCs?

All of the news and information we've been given suggests 2022 for 16. Doesn't seem optimistic at all.

They've been pretty clear they were announcing this one with much more finished and much further along. Insiders have confirmed it's way further along than people expect. And they've said Forspoken is coming out first and this will be after April 2022 which would be a bit weird to confirm if it wasn't 2022 at all. Of course things can always go wrong. But the plan seems pretty much for next year.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

The ports and re-releases in this list were either brand new games (the two Mana ones), games where the work was done new, but for a different console (DQ XI: S), or ones with new work to them (KH 2.8 has an entirely new, smaller KH game in it). I'll say FFVIII Remastered is the only genuinely smaller burden in the entire list.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

What is this INTERmission versus Intergrade? Yuffie DLC looks to be PS5 only maybe? God these names are shit.

edited May 2021
    Final Integrade Trailer (warning, big spoilers for the main game and probably the DLC too)

https://youtu.be/wwM1aJicdnw

Sony with the slippery wording again on exclusivity (at end of trailer)

FF7-Remake-Intergrade-PS5-exclusivity-6-months.jpg

Is the entire FF7R extended exclusivity or just the DLC?

Why is "console exclusive" defined as "6 months before any other format." By "any other format" are PCs not included?

Hell is this thing showing up on PS4 in 6 months?

rahkeesh2000 on
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Intergrade is the PS5 upgraded version of FF7 Remake. INTERmission is Yuffie's DLC, that while technically separate is only available for Intergrade (currently, unknown if it will be available for the PS4 version at some point in the future). No word on a PC version of any FF7 Remake stuff yet, and also no word on any potential Xbox release.

steam_sig.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Let me know when they release FF7R Tardigrade.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Final Integrade Trailer (warning, big spoilers for the main game and probably the DLC too)

https://youtu.be/wwM1aJicdnw

Sony with the slippery wording again on exclusivity (at end of trailer)

FF7-Remake-Intergrade-PS5-exclusivity-6-months.jpg

Is the entire FF7R extended exclusivity or just the DLC?

Why is "console exclusive" defined as "6 months before any other format." By "any other format" are PCs not included?

Hell is this thing showing up on PS4 in 6 months?

You can even upgrade for free*!

*if you can find a PS5
    **you probably can't
    ***Yuffie could

wVEsyIc.png
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    cj iwakura wrote: »

*if you can find a PS5
    **you probably can't
    ***Yuffie could

We just need to be more like Yuffie and how she "finds" things she wants.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    FF9 Update
    I made it past Eiko's dinner. It went well. Now we are on our way to the Lifa Tree. Zidane peed with Vivi. So, apparently, Vivi has junk.

FF9 works really well with doubling the internal resolution in the emulator. It doesn't seem to throw anything off.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    New piece from the rumor mill...

This supposed new FF game in the works is being made by team ninja.

Hmmm.

DemonStacey on
    edited May 2021
    New piece from the rumor mill...

This supposed new FF game in the works is being amde by team ninja.

Hmmm.

In case anyone missed earlier rumors: this game is also supposed to be a full-on PS5 exclusive, is a "new direction" for the series, and will be revealed sometime in June.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Still sounds like a spinoff.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Still sounds like a spinoff.

That is a known qty as it is not related to 16.

The question is what kind of spinoff?

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    So who is ready to defeat the four fiends of cinder and link the First Crystal?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    So who is ready to defeat the four fiends of cinder and link the First Crystal?

I played that game on the 3DS.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    It certainly has my attention. I look forward to hearing more.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Triple Triad in early-game VIII is a bit of a grind. Took me a bit to get some decent cards, and I still haven't gotten the Quistis card; the Trepe groupies don't use it that often, and when they do I haven't been able to do better than a draw yet.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Pretty much everyone reporting that this game is Final Fantasy Origin, is set in the universe of FF1, and is an action-RPG leaning in Souls direction, by Team Ninja. Same sub-team of that studio that produced Dissidia NT. (maybe this is what they have been doing since?) Sounds like it is a timed PS5 exclusive with a PC version coming later.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Triple Triad in early-game VIII is a bit of a grind. Took me a bit to get some decent cards, and I still haven't gotten the Quistis card; the Trepe groupies don't use it that often, and when they do I haven't been able to do better than a draw yet.

IIRC you can also get the mog from the kid thats always just running laps, and you can get diablos from beating him. You should be able to use those and ifrit and some random monster to grab quistis then you can farm whatever. then if you get the brothers' GF those are basically the best to use until you get the human character cards way later in the game.

edited May 2021
    FF9 Update
    I made it to the Lifa Tree. I saved at the moogle near the roots. I feel a boss coming on.

Krathoon on
    throw a phoenix down at it :^)

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    It's Iifa.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

FF Type 1, at last?

wVEsyIc.png
    Yeah. I heard that there are undead at the tree.

reVerse wrote: »
    It's Iifa.

Considering the lore surrounding it’s weird that it isn’t Lifa. But yeah, it’s Iifa, with two “i”s in a row. Pronounced “E-fah”, I think.

Oh. That Lifa Tree boss. It is a long walk to it from the save. Is there somewhere to get ether in the game? My magic keeps running out.

edited May 2021
    I beat the Lifa Tree boss. I cast
    Life on it. Instant kill.

How do you tell if something is undead? It seems like Detect just shows what they are carrying.

Krathoon on
    edited May 2021
    FF9 Update
    Red haired guy is in my party. Back at the Iifa Tree.

Krathoon on
    I remember doing all the wrong things in that fight. I was like oh it's a plant, I'll check if it's weak to fire. No, fire just makes it use some ever stronger attack. Only way later did I learn I could just cast life and kill it. That's like learning you could kill gi natak in ff7 the same way after slogging through the fight.

Enigmedic wrote: »
    I remember doing all the wrong things in that fight. I was like oh it's a plant, I'll check if it's weak to fire. No, fire just makes it use some ever stronger attack. Only way later did I learn I could just cast life and kill it. That's like learning you could kill gi natak in ff7 the same way after slogging through the fight.

I was glad there was an easy way to kill it. I was getting my ass kicked.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I remember that fight being pretty hard

This discussion has been closed.