As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Second Annual [Quarantimes] Thread

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Jars wrote: »
    how is that different than now? unvaccinated people already walk around maskless

Because you can assume unvaccinated people without masks are assholes and keep your distance

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    And, as always, it will be the states that are worse-off healthcare infrastructure wise that are also hit hardest by people being cockasses, because they have the biggest antivaxx and antimask populations. E.g., Massachusetts is lifting basically all of our restrictions at the end of this month but we're also 75% vaccinated already and positive tests are down to 1% of the population, and will still require face coverings in some settings (editorial, I hope face coverings on public transit are required for the rest of time).

Southern states? Not so much on any of that! I really wish the CDC had kept their big mouths shut!

As well local political pressure will likely keep many wearing masks around for a while past the guidelines.

Like the meme says, "cdc says I can go without a mask because I'm vaccinated, but I don't wanna look like a conservative, so the mask stays on."

Like we're absolutely the height of privilege on starting to de mask. Not only do we have one of the top 5 full vaccination rates we come in second for total vaccinations including first shots. As well we're surrounded by the other 4 in the top 5 fully vaccinated and new york is still top 10. New Hampshire is a problem, but they also benefit from the fact they are an island of plague bearers among those actually trying to get past this shit, and the vaccination drop off is regional . Also the bulk of their population that won't ever get vaccinated has a heavy overlap with the number of their population ideologically opposed to entering Massachusetts ever. Like if de masking is ever a thing anyone's gonna be able to do massachusetts has the best possible conditions to try it currently.

Even still I think we're going about a month too soon, and I still fear for the youth in our tourist communities as they have to deal not just with the local conditions that are pushing towards being the correct conditions, but the conditions of every state people are visiting ours from, and that's pretty much every state.

Sleep on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    how is that different than now? unvaccinated people already walk around maskless

The point is that walking around without a mask, regardless of vaccination status, should be condemned

Thus anyone without a mask is some form of asshole, and it's safe to assume that they should be avoided at all costs

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    And, as always, it will be the states that are worse-off healthcare infrastructure wise that are also hit hardest by people being cockasses, because they have the biggest antivaxx and antimask populations. E.g., Massachusetts is lifting basically all of our restrictions at the end of this month but we're also 75% vaccinated already and positive tests are down to 1% of the population, and will still require face coverings in some settings (editorial, I hope face coverings on public transit are required for the rest of time).

Southern states? Not so much on any of that! I really wish the CDC had kept their big mouths shut!

As well local political pressure will likely keep many wearing masks around for a while past the guidelines.

Like the meme says, "cdc says I can go without a mask because I'm vaccinated, but I don't wanna look like a conservative, so the mask stays on."

Like we're absolutely the height of privilege on starting to de mask. Not only do we have one of the top 5 full vaccination rates we come in second for total vaccinations including first shots. As well we're surrounded by the other 4 in the top 5 fully vaccinated and new york is still top 10. New Hampshire is a problem, but they also benefit from the fact they are an island of plague bearers among those actually trying to get past this shit, and the vaccination drop off is regional . Also the bulk of their population that won't ever get vaccinated has a heavy overlap with the number of their population ideologically opposed to entering Massachusetts ever. Like if de masking is ever a thing anyone's gonna be able to do massachusetts has the best possible conditions to try it currently.

Even still I think we're going about a month too soon, and I still fear for the youth in our tourist communities as they have to deal not just with the local conditions that are pushing towards being the correct conditions, but the conditions of every state people are visiting ours from, and that's pretty much every state.

I was hoping it would coincide with some kind of "if you can't prove you're vaccinated you can fuck off back to whatever state you're trying to enter from" rule but that would probably be not money friendly enough for Baker.

I was hoping it would coincide with some kind of "if you can't prove you're vaccinated you can fuck off back to whatever state you're trying to enter from" rule but that would probably be not money friendly enough for Baker.

I've been watching the lots on my local hotels, we've had travelers from all over the country this whole time. On the cape, at the beginning of the pandemic a bunch of people ignored the advice and came up to their vacation homes to ride this out on the beach.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

DeSantis has made it a crime for businesses to ask for proof of vaccination

luv the death cult

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    are we going to end up in a situation where parts of the country are relative corona free and other parts are ravaged by it yearly for the foreseeable future

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    cool, very cool and normal, so thrilled that my 90 year old grandparents live in Florida

wait no the other thing

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    are we going to end up in a situation where parts of the country are relative corona free and other parts are ravaged by it yearly for the foreseeable future

oh absolutely not no, it will just be a constant annual global threat instead
    cool, very cool and normal, so thrilled that my 90 year old grandparents live in Florida

wait no the other thing

extremely glad my parents and I are vaccinated at least

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

No, there’s enough travel through the entire country that those sectors will just vomit case-positivity out to the rest of us.

PiptheFair wrote: »

oh absolutely not no, it will just be a constant annual global threat instead

I mean, I think kinda. Areas with high vaccination will be like "oh, a few cases of the 'rona, everyone make sure you get your booster when you get your flut shot," but probably largely not have anything remotely like what we saw last year. Areas with low vaccination will see actual large outbreaks.
    Tynnan wrote: »

No, there’s enough travel through the entire country that those sectors will just vomit case-positivity out to the rest of us.

That's true, but in high vaccination rate areas incoming positive cases will peter out pretty quickly.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    @Juggernut I figure airing our grievances is what this thread is all about. Drop me a line any time.

I’m incredibly tired today, but it’s all worth it to help people out, and also a hot nurse said I was manly.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm vaccinated, but it's only 95%. I've rolled a lot of 1s in DnD games.

So if I do fail the check I most likely won't be hospitilized? Fine. That's cool. Will I have the long term awful side effects? My mom got Covid because of work. That was over 6 months ago. She still gets winded and light headed and needs to sit and rest walking from her car to the front door of her house. That's still a big fucking deal even if she didn't go to the hospital. I literally cannot do or keep my job if that happens to me.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The CDC announcement completely obliterates any chance we had of enforcing masks in the library, so now we're just going to have to deal with the fact that only a third of the people walking in without a mask have actually been vaccinated. And the vaccination rates are hitting a brick wall around here.

I don't know what that looks like in terms of the precautions we should be taking, because all the official guidance assumes people will follow the rules.

Just baffling.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Unfortunately we still know functionally nothing about long haul covid, or how vaccines might interact with it

There have been isolated cases of symptoms subsiding following vaccination, however, and current theories seem to be optimistic regarding the effect of vaccines on long covid

Maddoc on
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Anyway, I didn't mean to shit up the thread with my not-problems. I'm just kind of venting into space about stuff.
    Friend, I say this with love in my heart.
    Cut the bullshit.

Your problems are real, and valid, and tough.

In my experience, the go-to examples for 'real problems' are things like extreme poverty ('puberty' no thank you, autocorrect, not helpful) and debilitating illness. Yeah, sure, someone with imminent death syndrome, acquired metastructural pediculosis, and Atlantis complex has it hard, no question. But your context is your context.

Sidebar:
    Plus, folks I know who deal with non-fictional chronic health issues don't need or want pity, or to be elevated on a pedestal as an excuse to ignore problems; they want support and solutions, and to be treated as individuals apart from and in their context.

Naming or labeling a thing can validate or articulate experiences or symptoms and provide a framework.

I am not a depressed person, I am a person with depression. One is inherent and singularly defining, the other is something possible to address and only one facet of my experience.

But recognizing context without attempt at resolution is just patching a hole in the wall with duct tape -- it helps and works for awhile, but it's not a real fix. The pursuit of resolution brings its own issues, and is part of why medical trauma is a thing.

But we have choices, so -- support, and solutions, and a life respectful of but differentiated from strains.
    You can be aware of your various privileges without diminishing your struggles. Downplaying and denying and numbing yourself is a valid coping strategy until it becomes paralyzing.

I think you are worthy of effort, and telling yourself otherwise is active sabotage.

As a not-entirely-metaphor from a professional layman: Someone may break a leg. My goal is to mitigate harm when possible, then triage, pain management to help with the worst, and I'm also going to advise a splint and crutch and physical therapy when there's a chance to heal. Sometimes, there is no healing, it's just palliative care, but that's a long road to the last resort.

Be kind to yourself; you're doing your best, even if it's less than other days.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    To be fair pooka, extreme puberty would be a very tough thing to deal with.

Oh, hey, y'all.

I'm reading "The Narcissist in Your Life," and it's like I'm back in college with all the notes (autocorrect, seriously, 'nudes', c'mon!) I'm scribbling down. Which, ostensibly, I bought the current stack of books to supplement if I go back for a social work degree. . .
    (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. It's a true, but also not the only, reason. So grateful I don't have to unpick a narcissist from my brain. However self-centered I might be in moments.)
    Gotta do something with alla this.. interest in mental health and helping. Instead of just armchair psychology-ing at people unasked. :bzz: Kinda tempted to get local copies or ebooks of some of my adhd books, try to shrink my own brain some more but also ... find use locally.
    Fucking hyped up right now, lort, focus, focus! O_O

I metabolize weirdly, so I'm not sure if it's caffeine or that I've been using my brain in academic ways this morning or what, but I guess the combo of the above plus lovely weather plus whichever personal cycles at play has put me in a more pleasant mode in this moment. I feel decidedly okay.
    Like, I'm a generally pleasant person and can be in a good or at least neutral mood while feeling exhausted, but I don't feel particularly happy or content -- despite not sleeping through the night, I guess I feel rested? Rare; gonna ride this feeling.

.. So I guess in the morning my hyper shows more when I'm actually rested; makes sense. Otherwise, it's just putting me at a functional level.
    Still hoping to get vaccinated before I pull chocks from NZ, got a follow-up with the cardiologist tomorrow and who knows what Immigration will do with that information. My sister decided she needs to go with me for the appointment, so her protective instincts speak to a greater nervousness about all of it than I'm feeling most of the time. Hard to tell if I'm having true chill Wu Wei or just compartmentalizing like a mf... I do need to bump up my self care, but it's not worth trying to discern which is the case so long as I'm doing my due diligence!

Spoiler for angry
    Especially looking at things back home, and hearing about India, I do get a little ragey with how lax some folks are here. It is so. simple. to scan in with the contact tracing app or stop to log a visit in a book, and few do so. (And some businesses seem like they're hiding the damn things.) Y'all fuckers only have to wear masks on public transit! Just! Show some caution!

But it seems in keeping with a general mentality, a flightless bird with no natural predators on an island in the middle of nowhere -- no one's gonna hurt me!

(The time for ignorance or naivete has passed. I also had security concerns. I wrote in the physical logs sharing the minimum of info. When I started encountering more people during travel, I said, fuck it, my information is already out there, at least this might do some good.) Think about more than your own inconvenience, make the effort to think about your community! We live in a society!!

lfchwLd.jpg
    Blake T wrote: »
    To be fair pooka, extreme puberty would be a very tough thing to deal with.
    It's true, it's true.
    Not really a go-to example, tho, which is why autocorrect's eagerness wasn't helpful in that moment.

..Kinda feel like puberty is just inherently extreme, I don't really want to contemplate the kind that is to go even further beyond.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I mean I would imagine if you pop a pimple, you would just explode.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I mean I would imagine if you pop a pimple, you would just explode.

There’s a Mad Magazine comic of this from about 20 years ago that’s seared into my brain for some reason

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I am now 100% work from home. 300-some-odd cases in Taiwan yesterday, mostly in the North, where I live.

But we didn't have any ridiculous superspreaders like that poor old lady in Korea who infected like 1000 people... that we know of.

It is my hope that the rapid decision to shut things down good and proper will prove effective and that we can be done with this in 6-8 weeks. By then the Taiwanese vaccine should be approved and going into production and we can all breathe a bit easier.

Edit: GET IT BECAUSE COVID IS PRIMARILY A RESPITORY DISEASE

JOKES!

sarukun on
    Calm down and take your meds, grandpa.

I'd by lying if I said I wasn't a little bit stressed out.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I thought covid was primarily cardiovascular in nature, with some respiratory included.

Madican on
    Madican wrote: »
    I thought covid was primarily cardiovascular in nature, with some respiratory included.

I have no idea, I'm just saying words on the internet.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

This is dangerously close to the kind of shit Joe Rogan says!!!!

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

This is dangerously close to the kind of shit Joe Rogan says!!!!

until Sarukun has millions of diehard followers and isn't obviously joking around it's probably fine

Nope! It’s all serious business from here on out, Pinfeldorf has shown me the error of my ways!

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    But sarukun what if your serious business

is japery

Nobody pays me for these jokes, you want frivolity, you gotta pay like everyone else.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    You like joking, huh?

Well, you know who else is a comedian?

Joe Rogan

There's not really been any exact confirmation of how extensive the damage definitely is

ChicoBlue wrote: »
    You like joking, huh?

Well, you know who else is a comedian?

Joe Rogan

That's a very generous compliment you've payed the man.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

There's not really been any exact confirmation of how extensive the damage definitely is

It "fucks you up" with varying levels of fuckage, permanence, and location.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

It "fucks you up" with varying levels of fuckage, permanence, and location.

As a second opinion, I agree with the doctor’s assessment.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    My two building, 30 floor each corporation full of conservative Republicans just decided no more masks.

this will never eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeend :rotate:

Speaking of respiratory I got my sleep study results back from Kaiser. Did it overnight last week with a machine they sent home with me.

"Hi, yeah, you have severe sleep apnea considering we recorded 88 instances where you literally stopped breathing so we're gonna be ordering that CPAP machine ASAP what kind of mask do you want."

So that's in its way now with a full mouth/nose Darth Vader mask. Maybe soon I'll get to experience what a good night's rest actually is because tired has been my baseline state for a long time.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    what kind of mask do you want."

"make me look like i kill for pleasure. that way the night monsters will leave me alone"

Magic Pink wrote: »
    what kind of mask do you want."

"make me look like i kill for pleasure. that way the night monsters will leave me alone"

I do that well enough on my own. Last time I had a "monster approaching my bed" nightmare I bit it on the nose and cursed at it before snapping my teeth at it again. Whatever my subconscious was doing apparently it didn't have a response to this and the monster went back into the kitchen as I went to dream sleep again growling about goddamn night terrors.

This discussion has been closed.