As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Western Animation] Max? More like Min

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
edited November 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
Animation is rapidly displaying sequential images to produce the illusion of movement.

Animexample3edit.png -> Animexample.gif

My mind is blown!

There used to be many different kinds of animation: Hand Drawn, CGI, Stop Motion/Claymation, Mechanical, but Worthikids is working way too hard to merge them into a gestalt entity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJBCuRsrqUU

Who Makes It?

Disney and Warner Brothers. And (Disney) Fox and (Disney) Pixar and (Warner Brothers) Cartoon Network and ((Warner Brothers) Cartoon Network) Adult Swim and Nickelodeon. Huh. Newcomers are Netflix and Amazon Prime. Also Youtube sometimes, when the Algorithm decides to make it profitable.

What to Watch?

This place is showing its age and needs an update, but still solid. Into the Spider-Verse for sure tho.

And remember, you don't need your "baka"s and "nani"s to get some top tier sack-coo-guh moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-8xyGf7w0

RMS Oceanic on

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Periodic reminder to watch Wakfu.

It's French! It's on Netflix! It originally used Flash for rendering! It's really good!

Here, have a taste!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KOH2Ocy778

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Is Catlevania western animation or anime?

Also, do words mean anything anymore?

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

To answer your second question: Yes!

To answer your first: I don't fukken know.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021

The production staff, head writer, animation studio and primary financing all seem to be western.

so, I'd say, it's not an anime. Though It's heavily anime inspired and based on a Japanese property.

Note: I had to go look, because I had no idea.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited May 2021
    Western anime.

Whatever; they did manage to stick the landing with season 4, though the Hector/Isaac/Carmilla plot ended up not being super important to the main story.

Isaac's the man, though, and Striga/Morana had great scenes, so I'll allow it.

Edit: now on S2E3 of Love, Death, and Robots. Not really pulling me in the same way as season 1 yet.

Halfway through, but I'm kinda grossed out by Blade Runner
    but for children.

Dracomicron on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Periodic reminder to watch Wakfu.

It's French! It's on Netflix! It originally used Flash for rendering! It's really good!

Here, have a taste!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KOH2Ocy778

And there's a new season in the works!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

It's funny you say this, because the original Toonami programming block on Cartoon Network did a lot to influence Western Animation. The creator of Infinity Train said as much recently:
    Anime influenced kids in the ‘90s and ‘00s due to packaging like Toonami. Those kids are now in their 30s and making their own TV shows. They want to make stuff similar to what they watched when they were kids. Hence, you get shows like Steven Universe, Owl House, She-Ra, Kipo, OK K.O., Rise of the TMNT, etc. It’s clear that anime has influenced an entire generation of cartoon creators. Anime can be kid-oriented, but can also veer into adult themes.

As kids, many show creators were watching the adult stuff, so they’re trying to recreate what anime does in the American market. Unfortunately, the people in charge didn’t grow up with anime, so they often miss its value.

A certain YouTuber also got a lot of flack recently for misattributing the changes in Western Animation to Avatar: The Last Airbender instead of the shows that inspired Avatar.

Hexmage-PA on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Granted Avatar was the one of the first (the first?) western shows to really wear the anime influences on its sleeves.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Granted Avatar was the one of the first (the first?) western shows to really wear the anime influences on its sleeves.

At least for what most Americans would recognize as anime. Americans have been reproducing things from anime and manga since the 60s.

Hell, the Gold Digger movie came out in 2001, it's just very obscure.

Incenjucar on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

At least for what most Americans would recognize as anime. Americans have been reproducing things from anime and manga since the 60s.

Hell, the Gold Digger movie came out in 2001, it's just very obscure.

A good portion of the animation for Batman: The Animated Series was done by legendary anime studio Sunrise, and that work would later inform the design of The Big O. Over in Europe, a number of anime series became cultural touchstones - most notably Saint Seiya, with its stories wrapped in Western myth making it a favorite in countries where that mythos was part of the national history - and that in turn informed European animation like the aforementioned Wakfu and Oban: Star-Racers, the latter being a fusion of Western and Eastern animation.

Crosstalk in animation has been going on for decades, and has only accelerated in the past few - that's why the take that modern Western animation traces its lineage through Avatar really stuck in my craw, as it shows a deep unawareness of the actual history of Western animation.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Avatar is mostly when American anime ripoffs went mainstream, just like Toonami made anime dubs mainstream. Thing is that a lot of art is made by mainstream folks.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Avatar is mostly when American anime ripoffs went mainstream, just like Toonami made anime dubs mainstream. Thing is that a lot of art is made by mainstream folks.

The bigger thing that Avatar did was open the door for a lot of creators - many of whom weren't from the usual paths in Western animation - to get their work out there.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

The bigger thing that Avatar did was open the door for a lot of creators - many of whom weren't from the usual paths in Western animation - to get their work out there.

Also outside of anime itself, it showed that a kids show can have really, really good writing and it would pay off.

Too bad about sexism in the toys industry.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm still bitter about no Toph action figure.

Quid wrote: »
    I'm still bitter about no Toph action figure.

I mean cripes a Melon Lord Battle Playset would have been incredible.

So, there's bits and pieces of the second season of Love Death and Robots that has me thinking "wait, is this actual people?", which I guess at no point is the case.

I might be kinda compared to most people at actually recognizing actual people, due to some neurodivergent stuff, but I was kinda impressed a bit.

otherwise, I keep wanting to love this show, and ehh... I do like some of it, but most of it misses, and nothing this season really landed for me.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    So, there's bits and pieces of the second season of Love Death and Robots that has me thinking "wait, is this actual people?", which I guess at no point is the case.

I might be kinda compared to most people at actually recognizing actual people, due to some neurodivergent stuff, but I was kinda impressed a bit.

otherwise, I keep wanting to love this show, and ehh... I do like some of it, but most of it misses, and nothing this season really landed for me.

If nothing else it made me deeply conflicted about my roomba.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »

I'm still pretty sure Snow in the Desert is real people.

I also felt like this season didn't have anything that matched last season. I liked the train in the tall-grass episode most I think, and I kind've want to know more about that world - is that just some place on Earth, or is this a world where trains frequently pass through eldritch terrain?

H9f4bVe.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I guess they're making a new Hotel Transylvania movie. Though it looks like Adam Sandler didn't want to return for this one.

Spoilering for animated butt

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    I guess they're making a new Hotel Transylvania movie. Though it looks like Adam Sandler didn't want to return for this one.

Spoilering for animated butt

There's no Genndy Tartakovsky either, so don't expect that saving grace this time.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    i know this meme is making the rounds but i just had to share it with all of you, hoping that if you hadn't seen it, you'd enjoy it
    spoilered for invincible episode 8 stuff

Pailryder on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i know this meme is making the rounds but i just had to share it with all of you, hoping that if you hadn't seen it, you'd enjoy it

My favourite right now
    1621256770449.png

RMS Oceanic on

My favourite right now
    1621256770449.png

How are there not five of these for Emperor's New Groove yet?

My favourite right now
    1621256770449.png

How are there not five of these for Emperor's New Groove yet?

I've seen at least two.

02d.png

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Invincible ep 8 meme shitpost

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    Batman Animated Series Set at HBO Max and Cartoon Network; Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams, Matt Reeves to Produce
    A new Batman animated series has been ordered at HBO Max and Cartoon Network, with “Batman: The Animated Series” co-creator Bruce Timm attached as an executive producer.

“Batman: Caped Crusader” will be executive produced by Timm along with J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves. It will be produced by Warner Bros. Animation (WBA), Bad Robot Productions, and 6th & Idaho.

“We are beyond excited to be working together to bring this character back, to tell engrossing new stories in Gotham City,” the trio said. “The series will be thrilling, cinematic and evocative of Batman’s noir roots, while diving deeper into the psychology of these iconic characters. We cannot wait to share this new world.”

“Batman: The Animated Series” aired on Fox Kids from 1992-1995 for a total of 85 episodes. Kevin Conroy voiced the Dark Knight in the series, which is one of the most highly-regarded entries in the DC onscreen portfolio thus far. The show has received considerable praise for its dark nature and storytelling, with the voice performances also receiving well-deserved attention. Along with Conroy, the show featured the voices of actors like Mark Hamill as The Joker along with Efrem Zimbalist Jr. as Alfred and Adrienne Barbeau as Catwoman among many others. The show also served as the launchpad for the character Harley Quinn, who was created by Timm and introduced in the show’s first season.

“It is always fun to feed the insatiable appetite fans have for all things Batman,” said Tom Ascheim, president of Warner Bros. Global Kids, Young Adults and Classics. “‘Batman: Caped Crusader’ will entertain first time and die-hard fans alike and, with such an impressive creative team in place, we know we have another future Batman classic in the making.”

This is the latest animated DC project for HBO Max. “Harley Quinn” moved over to HBO Max for its upcoming third season after airing two critically-acclaimed seasons on DC Universe, while “Aquaman: King of Atlantis” was ordered at the streamer in Jan. 2020. Meanwhile, Reeves is currently prepping a Gotham PD live-action series that will be a spinoff of “The Batman” film he directed and co-wrote, while Abrams is prepping a number of DC related projects, including “Justice League Dark.”

“’Batman: The Animated Series’ was a masterpiece that shaped the perception of the character for an entire generation of fans,” said Sam Register, president of WBA and Cartoon Network Studios. “It is in that spirit that we are bringing together three master storytellers in J.J., Matt and Bruce – each with their own intuitive understanding and affection for the character – to create a new series that will continue in the same groundbreaking legacy.”

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say this deal was done before Abrams fucked Star Wars into the ground, because nobody on the fucking planet could say "master storyteller" to describe Abrams at this point unless they're pushing a marketing campaign.

Yeah... my appetite for all things batman is very satiable.

More animated Batman? Yay! I hope it's good.

I hope they didn't learn the wrong lessons from Harley Quinn (which I love, mind), or this is going to be real bad. Edgy Batman, I'm looking at you Killing Joke, can be pretty awful,

...and "diving deeper into the psychology of these iconic characters"... hmm...

These not unplumbed depths. These are dark pits which have been quite thoroughly wallowed around in.

I do hope they take a light hand at things, make the characters human and relatable, despite the trauma that defines them. I mean, trauma is the thing that defines every single fucking character in Batman. There's more to people than that.

I just shake my head. B:tAS is iconic, yes, but it might be the most fully sequeled western cartoon in existence in terms of continuity. Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League, JLU; practically every goddamn moment in that Bruce's life is chronicled by now. What is Caped Crusader going to tell us that we don't already know?

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    ...and "diving deeper into the psychology of these iconic characters"... hmm...

And there’s the tell that this will probably be crap.

edited May 2021
    Warner Bros and DC apparently have moved from adapting comic book stories to adapting video game stories, as an animated movie based on Injustice: Gods Among Us has been announced.

https://www.ign.com/articles/injustice-gods-among-us-animated-movie-officially-announced-by-dc-warner-bros-animation

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    They've all realized that if people start getting a bit fed up with big superhero media, animated stuff allows for continuity-independent side stories that don't cost as much as a small skyscraper.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Warner Bros and DC apparently have moved from adapting comic book stories to adapting video game stories, as an animated movie based on Injustice: Gods Among Us has been announced.

https://www.ign.com/articles/injustice-gods-among-us-animated-movie-officially-announced-by-dc-warner-bros-animation

The actual game plot, or the comics which went into the backstory of the Injustice universe and how things ended up that way? The latter would be more preferable, and I heard the comic series is fairly all right

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."

The actual game plot, or the comics which went into the backstory of the Injustice universe and how things ended up that way? The latter would be more preferable, and I heard the comic series is fairly all right

I'd look up
    The Butlering

I just shake my head. B:tAS is iconic, yes, but it might be the most fully sequeled western cartoon in existence in terms of continuity. Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League, JLU; practically every goddamn moment in that Bruce's life is chronicled by now. What is Caped Crusader going to tell us that we don't already know?

We don't need anything new, now we get to see it all again, from different angles, again and again!

And again again and again~!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Slower motion! Fast motion! Bullet cam! Organ cam! Echolocation! Smellovision!

Still so many ways we can see the exact same seen.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

We don't need anything new, now we get to see it all again, from different angles, again and again!

And again again and again~!

I don't think the show is rebooting the animated show, they're just using that as an inspiration. They did this in the underrated Beware the Batman. There's always new stories to tell with Batman, and it's not like Batman TAS wasn't adapting Batman's greatest hits.

edited May 2021
    Re: Beware the Batman
    Wow, I find that particular CG off-putting. Not sad I missed that series completely.

That's more upsetting than the Joker in... The Batman.

redx on
    Amphibia Season 2 recently wrapped up. I love this show and it's frog people.

They dropped the intro for the upcoming 3rd and final season, and it's super heavy on spoilers, so definitely watch the show first, but if you're caught up, watch it and scream with me.

H9f4bVe.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Distant Lands Finn and Jake is out and all over fucking youtube so be wary

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.