As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Assholes don't need to be given a legitimate excuse to be assholes. They're already overrunning the game as it is, and acting with complete impunity.

Obfuscating and hiding information about who the bad actorsare only empowers and enables them further, and gives them further tools to grief other people.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah, like rather than hiding things I think simply giving people better tools to deal with toxicity makes more sense.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    this information would be used productively almost never

ow isnt a game like league where there are state pieces of information u need to track about ur team mates like items or gold income or whatever, the only state ur team mates have is hp, position and ult charge and u got that shit

these stats would be purely consulted for blame shifting. this is made worse by the fact that people are delusional in how they conceive of how the game works; for example, a lot of players unironically believe that junkrat "should have gold damage", when in reality it completely depends on map, comp and playstyle. if im playing wid into orisa im going to have 60 crits and 60% accuracy just from pounding the fat horse cranium but its nothing to do with how sick i am. people dont need to be able to keep an eye on their team mates to know who the guilty party is because thats not the problem and u have literally no way to resolve those disputes productively anyway. ur ana has 50% scoped accuracy? guess what u can ask her to swap and she doesnt, now what? nothing u can do

its neither necessary nor beneficial and especially at lower levels performance is so wildly variable and understanding so poor its zero payoff

games are not low quality because of bad actors who have identifiable low stats; games are low quality because players get mad in competitive games

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I'm not really talking about teammates.

I moreso want the info for myself.

If it's that big a deal how about you only get the stats after the match is over.

Dragkonias on
    Those problems exist without that information. Productive players can use it to identify where the team is struggling and what can be done to best help the team. Toxic players, yes, will use it to be assholes, but those players are already using a lack of information to be assholes, and on top of that, exploiting that their own poor behavior can't currently be detected to further be assholes, and deflect the blame unjustly and unfairly onto other people because very few are going to check replays to see that the Genji spent every fight hopping around without attacking or the Junkrat only shot at walls.

Bad actors are already acting badly. The fear that they would continue to act badly should not be a reason to keep tools from the rest of the player base to better detect and police them, especially since Blizzard is unwilling to do it themselves.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Anniversary event, no patches or experiments, maybe Thursday or not (there was an off week in OWL last week which would have been perfect for a patch but fuck you, Blizzard yells out).

Sombra has a Catwoman skin which is easily her best skin, like Zatanna Symmetra. Best skin of the whole batch.
    Doomfist's Gladiator skin is one of his better ones, up there with Tuxedo
    Junkrat's candy theme makes him look like he's part of Big Mom's family, looks like Perospero
    Moira = meh
    Baptiste = overplayed theme and I hate the character so much so nah
    Ana is getting a Cyberpunk knockoff which is eh
    Echo's bird theme looks really nice, probably the default pick
    8 Ball Richard Hammond is just a mash of Carbon Fiber and his wood skin, and Hammond isn't even wearing the David Putty 8 ball jacket way to drop the ball even more Blizzard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3raKrkl3D4

TexiKen on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the moira skin is poison ivy to go with sombra catwoman for maximum sapphism

obF2Wuw.png
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Those problems exist without that information. Productive players can use it to identify where the team is struggling and what can be done to best help the team. Toxic players, yes, will use it to be assholes, but those players are already using a lack of information to be assholes, and on top of that, exploiting that their own poor behavior can't currently be detected to further be assholes, and deflect the blame unjustly and unfairly onto other people because very few are going to check replays to see that the Genji spent every fight hopping around without attacking or the Junkrat only shot at walls.

Bad actors are already acting badly. The fear that they would continue to act badly should not be a reason to keep tools from the rest of the player base to better detect and police them, especially since Blizzard is unwilling to do it themselves.

My feelings exactly. Plus, obfuscating useful information from players interested in improving makes it harder for those players to improve, forcing them to rely on flawed outside sources like overbuff rather than the logical place, the game itself.

Wooooooooooooow.

The weekly 'challenges' are "Play 27 games"? For the previous event, you needed to earn 30 stars a week in the PvE things, and you could easily get 8-10 per clear. You could play an hour a night and still not even be close to 27 games, especially if you're playing comp. That's a good quick way to get me to nope out of even logging on to play the PvE days, Blizzard.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Oddly you can get the halloween and summer stuff for coins or in boxes

edited May 2021
    Brainleech wrote: »

That's been the case for the last couple anniversary events as well. Everything is available/in anniversary boxes.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

That's been the case for the last couple anniversary events as well. Everything is available/in anniversary boxes.

I noticed it for the first time as usually I will play till I get what I want or buy with the coins
    I missed out on getting Dva's halloween skin this last time

Wooooooooooooow.

The weekly 'challenges' are "Play 27 games"? For the previous event, you needed to earn 30 stars a week in the PvE things, and you could easily get 8-10 per clear. You could play an hour a night and still not even be close to 27 games, especially if you're playing comp. That's a good quick way to get me to nope out of even logging on to play the PvE days, Blizzard.

It's 27 points, and playing a full game win or lose gets you a point. You get two points for a win. It looks like it's more to combat the terrible matchmaking times and leavers right now.

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Wooooooooooooow.

It's 27 points, and playing a full game win or lose gets you a point. You get two points for a win. It looks like it's more to combat the terrible matchmaking times and leavers right now.

If they made tanking more fun and cracked down on toxicity, they’d have more players and a better distribution of roles.

But they’d sell fewer alt accounts to toxic players so they make rewards harder to get and keep the shiftiness.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    someone said this a long time ago but there are so many hidden mechanics of the game that really shouldn't be, i'd like to see those before adding different stats showing up. for example, how much does each weapon do? I should be able to see that info right in the info screen for the character. How much does a crit do? What makes me crit? What does my ult actually do? How long does it last? These are all things that people have to look up at secondary places or spend a lot of time figuring out and it doesn't need to be that way. This ties into the cards issue for things like defensive assists, what even are those? Its all obfuscation and it's really bad for the health of the game. Why should i pick X player to counter another player? Sure if you are a veteran you know the answer but if you are new or stuck in bronze, maybe you don't know and the game certainly doesn't help you find out.

News is OW2 PvP is 5v5, 1 tank.

When you won't balance your game the right way and had to change the system already because you wouldn't balance years ago, why not lose a teammate altogether. Big brain time, this means more players available by 17%!

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    the changes to TBC and how OW2 looks to be going. damn rip.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    god y'all just have the most cynical bad faith takes about this game and the devs that work on it

this thread is becoming a bigger cesspool by the day, damn

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm worried about how stressful it'll feel to be the only tank, but I'll wait and see, I guess.

edited May 2021
    1 tank is interesting.

I'm guessing they're gonna be severely rebalanced kinda like that experimental from months ago.

TBH back before role queue I was used to being the only tank anyway so it isn't that big of a difference but I will miss tank synergies.

Also, no more tank to tank voicelines.voiceless.

But I understand why they're trying it. Tanks are in a weird position where you make them too powerful and they instantly imbalance the game but too weak and no one wants to play them.

Limiting tank to might allow them to up the player level while worrying less about broken synergies.

Dragkonias on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Tanks are getting buffed so they can play more aggro and now get to monopolize healer attention so chances are you get to feel like a raid boss instead of feeling like you have to always be setting up a front line.

edit:

Those role buffs seem interesting:

Tanks: Players generate less ult for shooting tanks.
    DPS: everyone runs like 10% faster across the board
    Support: Everyone gets passive HP regen after a while

Sounds like they want less hard CC all around

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Wait. Mei doesn't freeze enemies with her primary fire anymore. I'm all in now. Give me OW2.

Edit: Sounds like they're removing crowd control from a lot of DPS heroes.

BionicPenguin on
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Feels like a lot of these changes are aimed at making the game a more coherent viewing experience in OWL. I'll reserve judgment on the 5v5 change - hopefully they do a good job adjusting for it and we don't spend several patch cycles fixing heroes that are broken in complicated ways by the shift. I'm skeptical as to whether or not the map design will do enough to make it so you're not just forcing people onto barrier tanks only.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Feels like a lot of these changes are aimed at making the game a more coherent viewing experience in OWL. I'll reserve judgment on the 5v5 change - hopefully they do a good job adjusting for it and we don't spend several patch cycles fixing heroes that are broken in complicated ways by the shift. I'm skeptical as to whether or not the map design will do enough to make it so you're not just forcing people onto barrier tanks only.

I don't think this change has anything to do with OWL specifically, considering how small OWL is compared to the player base as a whole. I do believe them when they say they did it to reduce the chaos and confusion of the game for players in general.

If they were making this change for OWL specifically, I would consider it a major miscalculation because this is going to earn them a LOT of bad blood from pros (specifically, tank players) and fans alike, even if it ends up being better for the game in the long run.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular

I don't think this change has anything to do with OWL specifically, considering how small OWL is compared to the player base as a whole. I do believe them when they say they did it to reduce the chaos and confusion of the game for players in general.

If they were making this change for OWL specifically, I would consider it a major miscalculation because this is going to earn them a LOT of bad blood from pros (specifically, tank players) and fans alike, even if it ends up being better for the game in the long run.

Was the confusion of the game a significant objection of the playerbase? I've never really seen that be the case. The chaos of actually spectating the game, though, has in my experience been the #1 thing people raise as to why they're not more into OWL.

Not that this change can't be made for more than one reason at the same time.

Was the confusion of the game a significant objection of the playerbase? I've never really seen that be the case. The chaos of actually spectating the game, though, has in my experience been the #1 thing people raise as to why they're not more into OWL.

Not that this change can't be made for more than one reason at the same time.

I mean as someone who has spent waaaay too much time watching OW twitch streamers, visual clutter and overall team fight confusion has been a constant complaint I've seen, yeah.

I dunno, it could just be that I'm a credulous idiot (absolutely) but I'm perfectly happy to take the devs at their word that this change was done with the wider playerbase in mind.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I don't feel strongly about whether 6 or 5 player teams are inherently better. 5v5 is tried and true in MOBAs. One tank is really interesting - it is a lot of pressure for that person, and a lot of risk for toxicity directed at them for their hero pick, but it also makes it much easier to balance tanks around being really powerful. I question the 2 healers though - why not 1-1-3?

Zek on
    edited May 2021
    5v5 is fine and I'm pretty sure I suggested it way back when because it naturally forces asymmetry in team comp. I'm less sold on mandating one tank so long as the maps remain claustrophobic, the kill-boxes remain ridiculously deadly, and the TTK in general remains nigh instantenous. The dominant meta in the been-5v5-from-the-start Paladins has pretty much always been 2 DPS, 1 main tank, 1 main healer, and then either 1 off tank or 1 off healer depending on various things. Two damage, three sustain characters, at any rate. But the maps, mechanics, and damage rate promote a shitload more mobility focus than Overwatch has. One tank with 50% more barrier/HP is just going to die in 1.2 seconds instead of 0.7 without addressing *waves hands* all the other things.

Cutting way down on hard CC, especially on DPS, would also be a hugely welcome improvement and something I've been saying since time immemorial.

None of it will really matter though if they're not going to crack down on throwers and trolls.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    Zek wrote: »
    I don't feel strongly about whether 6 or 5 player teams are inherently better. 5v5 is tried and true in MOBAs. One tank is really interesting - it is a lot of pressure for that person, and a lot of risk for toxicity directed at them for their hero pick, but it also makes it much easier to balance tanks around being really powerful. I question the 2 healers though - why not 1-1-3?

3 DPS and 1 support would ensure that the support is dead at all times constantly forever, even more so than now.

They seem to want to reduce overall incoming damage and slow the game down a bit. Adding another DPS while removing a tank and a healer would uh...probably not do that.

It'd also basically delete Zen from the game, there'd be a lot of pressure to pick a versatile main healer if you only have one slot.

The same can be said for the tank changes though - and from what I've seen of the gameplay so far today I'm not at all confident they've done nearly enough to address the fact that your one tank needs to get his ass on a barrier pick. They simultaneously made Reinh more necessary AND drastically improved him. Hopefully it's not just him and Zarya that are getting gameplay passes, since Hog and D.Va looked unchanged.

edited May 2021
    Yeah they want to reduce the importance of shields bit to do that you also have to keep the damage output down.

Also they said they play tested 1-3-2 and it was terrible so I doubt 1-3-1 is any better.

Dragkonias on

3 DPS and 1 support would ensure that the support is dead at all times constantly forever, even more so than now.

That seems like something that can be solved by just buffing support survivability, e.g. health and self-heal abilities.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Still don't feel very good about playing sole tank; I feel like with OW's community it's just a built in scapegoat to dogpile toxic chat onto at the end of a losing round.

That seems like something that can be solved by just buffing support survivability, e.g. health and self-heal abilities.

Even if they make them more survivable, the game still becomes "who can kill the single healer first" which I personally don't think sounds as fun. 2 dps 2 support just seems better all around.

You probably don't want to give characters too much health or it'll slow the game down.

I don't like their dodge on the question of hero changes. I'd really like to see changes on the scale of what they've done to Reinhardt to the vast majority of the cast, but right now it seems there are only about 5 heroes with any kind of gameplay changes. The role traits aren't going to be enough to update hero gameplay, hopefully they plan on doing more.

edited May 2021
    I mean there are gonna be new heroes.

I doubt individual heroes would change much they'd probably introduce a new mechanic before that

Dragkonias on
    I'm torn on the decision to keep talent trees out of PvP. On the one hand, that's an obvious balance nightmare. On the other - I'd really like to see the overall gameplay evolve. I could imagine a trimmed down version of it working. Something like a big, single feature from each talent tree and you get to pick one of the three.

I bet at some point they add talents in PvP as an experimental / arcade mode and it's really popular and then they have a big decision on their hands.

Dragkonias wrote: »

I doubt individual heroes would change much they'd probably introduce a new mechanic before that

Then how is a sequel justified? More maps and more characters isn't enough to warrant a full new game.

Dragkonias wrote: »

Then how is a sequel justified? More maps and more characters isn't enough to warrant a full new game.

If that's all you want then you don't need to buy the sequel.