As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

All [birds], all the time!

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Wife and I had been trying to track down a Boreal Chickadee for the longest time, then one day while visiting my parents (who live nowhere near where they are usually spotted) one flies right up to wet it's beak in their backyard, right next to me! Of course no one else was around and my camera was charging inside. But I saw it! I SAW IT!!

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'm sure you did, Mr. Cristoval

Let's get you back to your room

1h9vkkoexq8c.gif

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    you saw a government drone that was partially refracted through swamp gas

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    oh wow nobody posted this yet

https://youtu.be/ml7bK1jg69I

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    you saw a government drone that was partially refracted through swamp gas

i forgot this was a thing and then I was walking home from the gym today and a lightpole had a Birds Aren't Real sticker on it telling everyone the truth!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That's a fantastic "Me? Oh golly, are you sure?" photo.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Ok birb people... there's this bird I've heard over the past year that's been driving me nuts. I can't figure out what it is, and it's birdsong is not like anything I've ever heard in New England before. The closest thing I figured was that it was some exotic bird that was a lost pet and would likely die in the winter; but no, it started chirping again this spring!

Any ideas??

https://youtu.be/dpSTO5pErbw

My mom thought it was a red wing blackbird, but... it doesn't sound anything like that AFAICT

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited May 2021
    it sounds pretty familiar, maybe just a robin?

deffo not a rw blackbird

Magic Pink on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited May 2021
    Ok, I've been loafin' for too long and am about to inject some hot birbs into this birb thread! Here are some shots I took before my life got overwhelmed with dad duties/covid depression!

49174301026_e0b6038882_c.jpg

49173815308_115367baaf_c.jpg

49174301841_cdaecd2ae1_c.jpg

49174308546_fe83060480_c.jpg

49174519387_4806520f95_c.jpg

49174520132_bee1780346_c.jpg
    (I don't think I'll ever take a better bird photo than this. I have dubbed thee Kylo Wren)

49174303451_d857013e64_c.jpg

49173817348_3de84b676d_c.jpg

49173817468_226df9cbe5_c.jpg

49173818578_06494c9961_c.jpg

49173815753_d3043d0624_c.jpg

49174523302_97afc00b37_c.jpg

49174302456_987434c9cc_c.jpg

50918886141_9e984a107f_c.jpg

49174525242_a7740b14af_c.jpg

I hope to start getting out again soon. First big trip after the boarders open up is heading back to Australia, and I need to track down my white whale; wild cassowaries!

Cristoval on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Those are some excellent birb photos.

steam_sig.png
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Ok birb people... there's this bird I've heard over the past year that's been driving me nuts. I can't figure out what it is, and it's birdsong is not like anything I've ever heard in New England before. The closest thing I figured was that it was some exotic bird that was a lost pet and would likely die in the winter; but no, it started chirping again this spring!

Any ideas??

https://youtu.be/dpSTO5pErbw

My mom thought it was a red wing blackbird, but... it doesn't sound anything like that AFAICT

Doesn't sound like a red-wing blackbird. That being said, bird calls are hard / I'm really bad at bird calls, but turns out the good folks at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology are working on an app to ID bird calls. If you can make an audio file from that recording, you could try submitting it here and seeing what the program being put together by the professionals think.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I think I saw a grey blackbird yesterday. Is that a thing.
    Size and shape looked like regular blackbird and it hopped around with a dark brown partner.

Possibly the female? Hey are highly unspecific compared to the male.

edited May 2021
    I only have a shitty screen grab when the hopped through a video.
    ebqm3zk2ww8k.jpg

Light grey on the left, dark brown which looked more like a female blackbird on the right.

honovere on
    My vote goes to grey catbird

62999411-480px.jpg

I don't think it had that black head. Also looking it up, it's not really found here. Should have added this is in central Germany.

Anyway another bird today. Some kind of thrush? Song Thrush maybe
    2yxygivpgc5l.jpg
    be7lers8b004.jpg
    vf4gkhvaax3j.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fieldfare

Turdus pilaris, fieldfare in English, and Wacholderdrossel in German.

I didn't realize when you were talking about blackbirds before that you meant European blackbirds, which are also in thrush family (American blackbirds are a different family). Location is important for bird IDs!

Thanks, yeah the grey neck didn't fit that well with song thrush.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fieldfare

Turdus pilaris, fieldfare in English, and Wacholderdrossel in German.

Heh

Turdus

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Isn't that the phone booth Dr. Whom flies around in?

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I bought a bird feeder this weekend. I think my descent into middle age is now complete.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    oh wow nobody posted this yet

https://youtu.be/ml7bK1jg69I

These wholesome nerds are hiding something, I can't quite put my finger it....

edited May 2021
    So this May long weekend I ventured out back to the cabin where the Alpine chickadee first escaped my grasp, except this time I came prepared! Battery on full, camera never left my side, and had some audio recording going. The fellow never did show up, which I expected, BUT there was a bird up at the very top of a birch tree singing a tune a hadn't heard before. I pointed my lense and lo and behold it was another lifer I had not anticipated!

51200706388_cdcd9094bf_c.jpg

A Ruby throated Grosbeak! So elusive that even my wife hadn't had it on her count yet (she is the more hardcore birder of the two of us), and she still doesn't because once again she wasn't around...

Anyway, look at that little Muppet!

EDIT: ROSE BREASTED GROSBEAK, thanks Mayabird. Laughed out of the bird conventions I will be!

Cristoval on
    Frist (and only) time I saw a grosbeak I was surprised at how much bigger they were than I expected. Even more surprised were the goldfinches at my feeder since grosbeaks don't usually visit feeders.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    "large" is right there in their name!

Had a goshawk* fly a few feet over my head today while being out in the park with the daughter in her stroller.

Look like it was chased by two smaller birds in close pursuit through the woods.

5 minutes later it was chilling on the lowest branch of a tree next to the trail.

Wasn't fast enough for a picture though. The smaller birds came back and chased it off.

* Best guess as those are apparently fleeing into the cities here to be safe from hunters and poultry farmers illegally hunting them.

Forgot to mention but some days ago I saw a raven being chased by two crows. Very easy to tell the difference between the two - ravens being much larger than crows (basically, if you have to ask if it's big enough to be a raven, it's a crow, because you will know if it's a raven), and also their different calls (the crows cawing at the raven, and the raven croaking in likely annoyance).

And on a different note

She's the important bird. That's her area.

A turkey hen and her chicks visited my yard a few days ago. We counted thirteen chicks.

https://youtu.be/GQUmfmvL2AM

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

right after murdering someone in cold blood with a swapblaster

BahamutZERO.gif
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    That sounds about right for how terrifying those monsters are.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    that 100% sounds like the downtown shootout scene from Heat, holy shit

sarukun wrote: »
    That sounds about right for how terrifying those monsters are.

how dare you

Now I need a shoebill v. stork shootout noise scene

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Shoebills are definitely monsters from the Hyborian Age that accidentally survived to the present day.