As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Thanks Koopah.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Anyone ever have a listen to an AKG K371 either wired or BT? It's looking intriguing as an option to the senns, with a more studio/neutral profile, which I think might be a nice contrast to my 6xx? At least I think I remember the 6xx are "tuned" a bit more rather than being straight reference style.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah the Drop Panda update is easy and it def makes a difference in the iPhone.

I find on my PC using Peace I get a better EQ sound but it’s fairly close.

I assume they will continue adding to the functionality.

edited May 2021
    Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah the Drop Panda update is easy and it def makes a difference in the iPhone.

I find on my PC using Peace I get a better EQ sound but it’s fairly close.

I assume they will continue adding to the functionality.

The firmware update part went fine, but getting SoundID to talk to the Pandas (Android app) took forever and I was afraid I was going to brick something. Eventually had to power cycle the pandas when SoundID took ten minutes to "connect". I then left music playing on my mp3 app on the phone before running the SoundID until SoundID it took over talking to the headphones to keep the headphones awake, and then everything eventually worked and it was able to load a profile to the headphones. They do sound different (more base and more top end from what the SoundID questions selected for me) and some stuff absolutely sounds better (actually, I'd say they sound different really). I will have to play around with it more later though.

Naphtali on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ah yeah it was a bit weird, I deleted the existing Panda paired saved connection on my iPhone.

When it first tried to pair I saw it wasn't using the existing connection, it wanted to make a second one.

I just deleted the old one before trying to move on cause I figured it would get screwy.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Sennheiser ('s consumer electronics division) is getting bought by Sonova. Now, Sonova apparently make hearing aids and cochlear implants, so this sort of makes sense, I guess, but still makes me wonder what's going on in the market that made them sell it off in the first place.

Sennheiser ('s consumer electronics division) is getting bought by Sonova. Now, Sonova apparently make hearing aids and cochlear implants, so this sort of makes sense, I guess, but still makes me wonder what's going on in the market that made them sell it off in the first place.

Based on my current feelings about senn, I don't feel like better value or quality are likely in the cards. Senn was already making good deals. As well as low cost trash and high cost crazy I'm sure, but they seemed to have a good creamy middle.

edited May 2021
    oh no, not ole mate senn

where else will we get the hurr durr six hungos?

Naphtali on
    Naphtali wrote: »
    oh no, not ole mate senn

Idgi. I like mine anyway

oh no, not ole mate senn

Idgi. I like mine anyway

It's a reference to an Austrialian youtuber who does classic iPod/MP3s player & audiophile videos, DankPods.

He's a riot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAevLnhaU68

• RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Edit: Figured it out.

Raynaga on
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    There's no need for a headphone amp in between my Zune and my Grado SR-80, right?

Right?

Someone tell me there's no reason to keep looking at amps

Sleek, sexy amps...

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    There's no need for a headphone amp in between my Zune and my Grado SR-80, right?

Right?

Sleek, sexy amps...

Grados for the most part do not need amps. Maybe the higher end ones do but the SR-80's will be totally fine without one. That said, an amp is definitely not going to be detrimental in any. A good amp will be beneficial to almost any headphone but I might, for now, recommend saving your money to put towards better headphones in the future and budget for an amp to go with them. Or just buy a good amp now and save for better headphones in the future.

Ignoring most of that, if you want an amp, have money for one, go and treat yourself! The Grados will sound a little better but don't expect a night and day difference.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    can anyone link to a good tutorial to wire a headset by chance?

I'm debating making some headphones

spono wrote: »

Right?

Sleek, sexy amps...

You do not need an amp, but may benefit from one. You certainly don't need an EXPENSIVE amp.

Thanks all, I'm currently waffling between making a CMoy-type amp or buying the Schitt Modi, or just spending that money on more music instead

It'll sit on my desk at work, so there's no need for it to be portable

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I picked up a pair of the little Sony ATMOS speakers to use on the "front height" channels. Is there a way to test their affects out with streaming media or do I have to have like 4K BluRay player and use select titles?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    So I was curious if I could still recommend the schiit stack (mine were V1 or 2), and came across this wild algorithmically generated "review" if anyone else wants some audiophile timecube vibes:

https://planethifi.com/schiit-stack-review/

So I was curious if I could still recommend the schiit stack (mine were V1 or 2), and came across this wild algorithmically generated "review" if anyone else wants some audiophile timecube vibes:

I don't want to live on this planet anymore

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I picked up a pair of the little Sony ATMOS speakers to use on the "front height" channels. Is there a way to test their affects out with streaming media or do I have to have like 4K BluRay player and use select titles?

You may want to post this in the TV thread. It's more "home theater".

Here's a link to some trailers you can download the test: https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

I love my Schiit Stack but goddamn that article. It hurts to read.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    There can be cheaper components that you can purchase, but they are not a stack, in the sense of this uniform perpendicular landscape.

640qocnq4ske.gif

I'm not sure if that site is trying to be a parody or if the author just has no concept of how to be a good writer. Maybe it really is algorithmically generated because good lord is everything there poorly written and literally painful to read.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

I'm not sure if that site is trying to be a parody or if the author just has no concept of how to be a good writer. Maybe it really is algorithmically generated because good lord is everything there poorly written and literally painful to read.

Let´s see what is the Schiit stack now.

Let's see, indeed.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
    It's the use of a thesaurus/dictionary to look up other ways to say "stack" and the nonsense of it that really read algorithm to me. I feel like I'm finding more and more reviews that are just scrapes of user reviews recombined so this fits right in.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm trying to get the most out of my Sennheiser headset while gaming. My friends say they use Windows Sonic to get Virtual Suround Sound. Honestly, I just plugged in my headset and it seemed to have some form of spatial sound.

Do you need one of these fancy apps? I've heard they don't work with all games, and that they can actually make things worse for certain games with built in surround sound.

You shouldn't need those apps. Most AAA games have sound designed the way they want it. There are some minor gimmicks like increasing certain frequencies so you can hear footsteps easier, which I guess if your a competitive gamer might help.

Even back with the original Mass Effect 3, I tried turning on all the Sound Blaster surround sound bells and whistles and I couldn't really tell the difference.

I'm trying to get the most out of my Sennheiser headset while gaming. My friends say they use Windows Sonic to get Virtual Suround Sound. Honestly, I just plugged in my headset and it seemed to have some form of spatial sound.

Do you need one of these fancy apps? I've heard they don't work with all games, and that they can actually make things worse for certain games with built in surround sound.

It should be under sound options if your right click on the speakers in the taskbar. There's a "spacial sound" section.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Are they headphones or a headset? If it's a sennheiser headset,I'm guessing they already have the virtual surround sound built in. For headphones, they probably don't have any of that built in.

Also, if you have a sound card or are using a USB, it's probably already doing its thing, too.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    My open back Sennheiser HD598SRs are coming up on three years old. The sound still works good but they're kind of tattered and getting less comfortable to wear during long days. Long ass cord management, flaked plastic, padding ripping inside of the cups, etc... I'm using the E10K Fiio amp for a direct USB connection. I might be in the market for a new pair soon.

So here's a few questions for yall:
    • How do Open-Back Wireless PC headsets fair? I have the DROP Pandas, but they're closed back planar and are tighter on my head than I'd like. So I can't hear what my partner is saying when they're talking to me during work hours. Unfortunately, that leads to me not wanting to use them all the time because I don't want them to think I'm ignoring them.
    • If wireless is still good, does anyone have recommendations on the cheaper side ($200-300) for a decent pair?
    • If wired is just outright better, would anyone recommend a wired pair in the same price range? Would it be worth just to re-up on the latest Sennheiser model (the 599 SE)?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My open back Sennheiser HD598SRs are coming up on three years old. The sound still works good but they're kind of tattered and getting less comfortable to wear during long days. Long ass cord management, flaked plastic, padding ripping inside of the cups, etc... I'm using the E10K Fiio amp for a direct USB connection. I might be in the market for a new pair soon.

So here's a few questions for yall:
    • How do Open-Back Wireless PC headsets fair? I have the DROP Pandas, but they're closed back planar and are tighter on my head than I'd like. So I can't hear what my partner is saying when they're talking to me during work hours. Unfortunately, that leads to me not wanting to use them all the time because I don't want them to think I'm ignoring them.
    • If wireless is still good, does anyone have recommendations on the cheaper side ($200-300) for a decent pair?
    • If wired is just outright better, would anyone recommend a wired pair in the same price range? Would it be worth just to re-up on the latest Sennheiser model (the 599 SE)?

Have you used open back before? My main pair of headphones is a set of Grados and while you get some noise coming in I still can't tell what people are saying and stuff, just that someone is talking. So at least you would know she is talking to you and could take them off.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Can you just get replacement cups for the Sennheisers? It just sounds like the cups and supports need seeing to, less so the sound quality being an issue there. Probably cheaper than replacing the entire headset, but if it just isn't comfortable even if you replaced all that stuff, then it would be worth looking for something else. I have a pair of Beyerdynamics that are really comfortable (Tygr 300-R, which are close to the DT770/880s but open back and bit more tuned for gaming sound profiles afaik) and would recommend their design in terms of comfort pretty reliably.

Wired vs wireless is really down to what you're looking for, lack of cables/mobility vs more sound quality. The other issue with wireless is they're generally all going to be closed-back or in-ear, which doesn't help with your being able to hear around you. Staying with your current open back Sennheisers or looking into something similar with open back would probably work better.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Can you just get replacement cups for the Sennheisers? It just sounds like the cups and supports need seeing to, less so the sound quality being an issue there. Probably cheaper than replacing the entire headset, but if it just isn't comfortable even if you replaced all that stuff, then it would be worth looking for something else. I have a pair of Beyerdynamics that are really comfortable (Tygr 300-R, which are close to the DT770/880s but open back and bit more tuned for gaming sound profiles afaik) and would recommend their design in terms of comfort pretty reliably.

Wired vs wireless is really down to what you're looking for, lack of cables/mobility vs more sound quality. The other issue with wireless is they're generally all going to be closed-back or in-ear, which doesn't help with your being able to hear around you. Staying with your current open back Sennheisers or looking into something similar with open back would probably work better.

I had not thought about getting new pads. That's interesting. Any recommendations on which would be good replacements? First look on Amazon shows the Geekria replacements.

I had not thought about getting new pads. That's interesting. Any recommendations on which would be good replacements? First look on Amazon shows the Geekria replacements.

Not a clue, unfortunately.

Look into Dekoni, Brainwavz, or oem Sennheiser.

Thanks @Cormac !

• schussschuss Registered User regular

Yep, my grados are on pair #2 of Dekoni's I think? Most high end headphones are designed to replace earpads as consumables.

You may have to try multiple kinds out. For my M50's I tried I think 3 different replacement pads and all of them altered the sound. Ended up with official replacements when I needed them.

Trajan45 wrote: »
    You may have to try multiple kinds out. For my M50's I tried I think 3 different replacement pads and all of them altered the sound. Ended up with official replacements when I needed them.

I ordered some 'Genuine' replacements from Sennheiser off of Amazon for $40. I'll see how they work.

They showed.
    t9wvewzjzlj6.jpg
    oo01sqf89m6w.jpg
    Olds
    3co1kyqmg83z.jpg

They legit feel like new cans, and they still sound good. Easy removal and click on parts with the new ones too. Hope they last awhile, thanks for the notes friends!