As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    For real though bring back the commentator. Yes, even in wild battles. Yes, even in the ancient past.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I'm less worried about Legends being "half-assed" than I am about it being essentially impossible to get right. Meaning, I don't think any company could produce a worthwhile AAA game on the sort of schedules that Gamefreak has to hit, and I think a lot of the facets that people complain about are less that Gamefreak doesn't care and more that they have to ship a full game every two years (or less). That's more of a framing issue than any objection to the actual sentiment, though-- it's definitely an ambitious idea with a lot of potential to fall on its face.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Kupi wrote: »
    I'm less worried about Legends being "half-assed" than I am about it being essentially impossible to get right. Meaning, I don't think any company could produce a worthwhile AAA game on the sort of schedules that Gamefreak has to hit, and I think a lot of the facets that people complain about are less that Gamefreak doesn't care and more that they have to ship a full game every two years (or less). That's more of a framing issue than any objection to the actual sentiment, though-- it's definitely an ambitious idea with a lot of potential to fall on its face.

Eh, it's probably a bit of both. Remember, even Red and Blue/Green were a buggy mess. And Iwata had to go in and fix Gold & Silver because it was so borked to the point he freed up enough room to add Kanto. I kinda feel like Gamefreak has never had the best track record on the programming side of things :P I kinda wish they'd lend the license out to other devs more often than they do - I mean, look at how friggin' amazing/gorgeous New Pokemon Snap was and that was Bandai Namco... (even the original Snap was HAL :P)

Edit: But still better than Bethesda :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Their "a game every two years" is self imposed. They're a private, independent studio so they could do whatever they want and have the money and staff to do so. Sure they have close ties with Nintendo, but Nintendo only owns a portion of The Pokemon Company (as does Game Freak). The Pokemon Company deals with essentially everything Pokemon that is not Pokemon the Game.

Even if Nintendo wanted to exert some influence I do not think they would, at least judging by their own First Party releases. Hell, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some folks at Nintendo have suggested to Game Freak that they maybe should take their time.

edit- Game Freak isn't a small time studio. The mainline Pokemon games generate in or around a billion USD each time. They could absolutely afford to spend, say, 4-5 years on a new entry and make it something special.

The problem, however, is that if they did do that the game would probably still sell the same and cost more to produce. So why bother when what they got going on now is working extremely well?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So what was the take on New Pokemon Snap overall? Seems pretty positive if what you want is a rail shooter photography game?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I absolutely adore it.

You can get some hilarious and amazing pictures out of it.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    I think new pokemon snap might also be the hardest pokemon game?

I've beaten it now, but I'm only 2/3 through the requests and the ones i haven't solved yet seem pretty tough to figure out. Also still missing some pokemons poses and diamond ratings.

At this point I've easily cleared 40-50 hours
    i just used a DNS server thing to get all the event itens on my legit Platinum cart and then caught Arceus.

Is this still possible? Because I'd love to finally get my Arceus from platinum

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    So what was the take on New Pokemon Snap overall? Seems pretty positive if what you want is a rail shooter photography game?

New Snap is just one of those games where you can cruise around taking funny and cool pictures of your favorite pokemon, or you can really lean hard into the nature photographer-side of it and go digging for all the unique poses and all the pokemon to help fill up the report.

So it's definitely a solid, good game.

Really, my only complaint is how arcane and hard it is to discover some of the alternate routes- the snow ones are just almost impossible to trigger unless you know they're there already.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    i just used a DNS server thing to get all the event itens on my legit Platinum cart and then caught Arceus.

Is this still possible? Because I'd love to finally get my Arceus from platinum

yeah, it's really simple and as close to legit as possible. Also not illegal or anything weird. I used my smartphone as a password-less access point for a few minutes while at home and configured the DNS in the cartridge wifi settings.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Accidently lost my Giratina path and managed to get shiny Garbador and Shiny Toxtricity so far trying to get Giratina back.

I now have four shiny Toxtricity.

i never found a single shiny in the dynaventures

camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2021

It's literally all the good parts of the first game expanded like crazy to add way more content and some new twists and stuff to do. Honestly it's pretty much the perfect sequel - it does everything a sequel should do IMO. There are a few things that could obviously be better (seriously, just let us pick one photo PER star level...) but overall it's just really fun.
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Really, my only complaint is how arcane and hard it is to discover some of the alternate routes- the snow ones are just almost impossible to trigger unless you know they're there already.

I mean, I suppose that's what google is for :P But they do give the "special requests" which are hints at how to get the rare pictures, which I find to be a pretty nice system. (though some of them are way too vague or confusing... like, if it says to feed a pokemon, you might have to do it several times, or in a certain spot, and it's not clear about that..)

I do hope they do DLC though. I could go for like one or two more courses with new pokemon. I'm also really shocked that shinies are not a thing in this game...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    The vast majority of my sword and shield shiny collection has been obtained through legal RNG Manipulation of dens to create hosted shiny dens.

I was called a Den scummer for this because why not.

i did found 2 or 3 random overworld shinies in Sword, plus a shiny came over to me at the Pokepélago.
    that was funny.

camo_sig2.png
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Oh man, I just remembered that I bred a Square Shiny Krabby that didn't have the HA, but now with the new ability capsule things I can fix that issue if I want to have the extra shiny flair.

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I can fix my shiny cinderace.

I bred a handful of shinies (fave: Cramorant), but got a TON more from surprise trade.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    Cramorant has a great shiny! It's a big plus that it's also very fun to use and can run amazing annoyer sets.

edited May 2021
    For Breeding i did the three galar starters and an Applin.

Scorbunny took 992 eggs Sobble and Grooky took 42 and 46 which i consider absurdly lucky

Surprise trade has kind of been ruined for me because of all the annoying Admon

Zunde on
    ~20 years of playing pokemon games: 4 shinies

pokemon go: lol shinies go brrrr

sig.gif
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Slugma is probably my favorite shiny. it's like a metabble from dragon quest.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

The only generation I haven't played is Gold/Silver

I am still without a shiny(that wasn't from an event) in my pokeboxes.

For some reason I got shinies like crazy in Moon. Probably because they added that multi-pokemon fight thing that makes them more common (and also because I loved Moon enough to actually complete the Alolan Pokedex)

sig.gif
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    NPS is crazy pretty. More of this. Screw any other Pokemon game, just give me photography games 110% of the time

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    USUM has a nice way to get shinies
    dive into the Ultrawormholes in the post game, try to reach the furthest possible circle portal with the most rings, huge chance of shiny.
    I got a crustle, a swellow, a barbaracle, a drapion, 2 medichans and 2 altarias. Plus a natural random shiny Lapras and shiny alolan meowth, and that crazy pokepelago murkrow.

then I got a random natural blissey (one of the worst possible shinies), swirlix, wobbufet and tyrogue in Sword.

Oh, and my first shiny was in Y, my first pokemon game, a yanma that i didn't realized was a shiny for the longest time.

then there are the wonder trade shines, a Regigigas called BEN BISHOP (who actually looks legit), a Sloking (that looks like MIGHT be hacked)

the only 2 shines i managed to breed were dreepy and phantump

i'm not even gonna mention pokemon go shinies, i got tens of them, just like event ones.

Sorry if i already told these stories before, I'm getting a bit forgetfull in my late 40's :P

camo_sig2.png
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    For years the only two shinies I got were two Zubats, I think both in third gen (one in Sapphire, one in Fire Red). Then in seventh I got a shiny Cubone while chaining Cubones, which was great because Alolan Marowak shiny is a nice shade of purple.

Then in Gen 8 I got a shiny Dracovish by pure dumb luck. And that's it, aside from shiny Gyrados from Gen 2 and Shiny Magikarps when that was an event in Gen 8.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I went hard on shinies back in gen 4 and still usually end up breeding up about a dozen or so each gen, last time I checked in home I was up to over 100, most recent one I bred was a Rowlett, and it was only like 14 eggs, super lucky. I got crazy lucky with my shiny Dracovish, only took like 20ish resets

Kanden on
    would anyone be around to help with some trades on sword/shield?

specifically, 4 pumpkaboo I need to trade evolve, so we'll need 5 trades in total

sig.gif
    i can help, pm me if you're still up to it

camo_sig2.png
    i can help, pm me if you're still up to it

yo I spent the last week going through my pearl, pt, HG, Bl, Bl 2 games using that DNS trick and I got so. much. shit.

I've got special pikachus and shiny legends coming out the arse. Most importantly though, I've gotten my first ever Arceus, Manaphy (Phione) and Genesect!

funnily enough the Arceus from the hall of origin (the one that was actually always there, coded into Gen4 from the beginning but never had the azure flute released to reach it) isn't considered a valid pokemon by Bank/Home. It wouldn't let me transport them across :( Just the lv 100 Arceus given out over wifi qualifies as a legit Arceus. I guess since the flute was never officially released it is "impossible" to have the hall of origin as a catch location

anyway my living national dex is now only missing 4 things:

Diancie
    Volcanion
    Magearna
    Marshadow

now I'm spending my time filling out the various different forms of things, hence the pumpkaboo

sig.gif
    i can touch trade you those too

camo_sig2.png
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

Just another Pokemon clone, right?

I'm gonna need you all to watch the entire trailer.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    What if Pokemon, but actually enslavement and exploitation?

It's very pretty but looks way too cynical a take on the monster collection genre for me.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Just another Pokemon clone, right?

I'm gonna need you all to watch the entire trailer.

I couldn't get past the fact that it also looks like a 3rd person shooter.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Y'know I often wondered what war looked like in the Pokemon world.

Now I know.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Probably the worst part were the tears and frowny face on the sheep while it's getting blasted. The idea of the game could work, just not how they are doing it. BUT the monster fusion thing with the not-gyarados and the other thing is something I haven't seen in a game since like monster rancher 2, and I loved that game mechanic.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, I just saw an official Sword/Shield tournament called the Fair And Square tournament.

The rules are unusual, but simple. Legendary Pokémon are prohibited (including stuff like Urshifu)... but duplicate Pokémon and duplicate items are permitted.

So I’m wondering; what’s the most broken team that one can make if you’re permitted as many as 6 of the same species?

*Buzz light-year meme that says "dragons, dragons everywhere"*

Probably just hard hitting and fast or bulky dragons like salamence, garchomp, dragapult. Like wtf are you going to do against double earthquaking chomps once they scout to make sure you aren't using balloons or something?

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Eh, I hear it only runs at 25fps. I'll wait for NTSCworld.

TamerBill on
    3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451