As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Desert Online (Orwen Server Ch. Mediah O1)

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Finishing the Heidel storyline quests also gives you a costume, a fairly simple soldier uniform that nevertheless looks decent on some classes (compared to the default look anyway).

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    No good being a badass if you look like you just woke up in a cardboard box.

• Options
    Is there any benefit to joining the guild if it still exists, and is anyone able to invite?

• Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    Picked this up as it was under £5 in the Steam sale - fun so far but have no idea what I'm doing (a fairly common occurrence for me!)

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Seems to be a shitload of systems in the game, mainly just been levelling myself. I did get some snazzy outfit for free...for 7 days I guess, along with some extra inventory slots. Some of the instructions are fairly cryptic, like arranging inventory to merge items.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Yeah BDO has a lot of new, complex, or just plain odd systems. I do strongly recommend checking out newbie guides to help save yourself some hassle. Though the in game tutorial system is a helluva lot better now than it was at launch, I'd still suggest watching a few videos. Like this one!

https://youtu.be/6pOJYfMQPIA

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    While I type this at work, my character is at walking the streets of Velia with hundreds of lbs of trade goods on her back and wearing heels. I sorta question the need for the AFK play, but whatever, the game currently keeps me amused so I'm just going with it.

Also, I have three dudes picking potatoes for me, which I turn into beer for now. I need to watch that video again, still not sure about a few bits and pieces.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Gift letter of repayments: I have 5 of these things, anyone want them? They worth much?

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Hmm, Black Desert Mobile, eh?

They wouldn’t even need to change the monetization scheme much

• Options
    Got to level 56 and unlocked Awakening. Pretty interesting that the witch class' entire playstyle changes and you basically seem to blow off all your old skills and go with new ones. It's a bit of a learning curve to adjust to the new play, but I went back to a slightly previous area and found I was just annihilating Manes and Wandering Rogues, even the big named/special type ones.

My minions are furiously mining and what have you as I accrue material to make a sailboat now.

• Options
    vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    @Arthil Is the pa guild still a thing?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    It is, but @Axen has the reigns now I believe.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Somethinglovely updated their map for the new Kamasylvia pt. 2 content that came out today.

http://www.somethinglovely.net/bdo/

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So I got this due to the Steam special. Not a huge fan of the aesthetic, but so far the combat is fun.

Anything to take note of as I go about the early levels?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Is the thing listed as "Pre-order Purchase Bonus" on my account an extra copy of the game to give away? I didn't pay attention. Apparently expires December 31st this year.

• Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Playing after nearly a year again. The did change so many stuff, for most part for the good. I enjoy the new class but wow stuff is a lot easier. When I think how much time it took me to get my first char to lvl 56 you need now a weekend with the new extra exp servers.

If you have a char above lvl 52 I would patch and login at last once and talk to your Black Spirit, we got a free maid (storage or market) for a few days (event) this way...

tricon on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    So I know I'm on the new jack server for babies with the xp boost and stuff but beyond the fact that I quickly overleveled the quests around me, is combat supposed to be like

pointlessly easy?

My ninja can slide around and do flips and turn into a log and shit but from level 1-34 nothing actually harmed me beyond maybe ~ 10% of my health.

Eventually I wandered off to go fight monsters that were in the mid-40s and other than them being immune to some attacks, I still just tore everything apart while taking essentially no damage and it took a little longer

This game seems visually nice and fast-paced for a classical MMO, but none of the fights are remotely engaging

Is it just a faceroll until you go do dungeons or raid or whatever?

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    If you know what you’re doing and have proper gear, most pve is easy. I think that was part of the point, since you’ll spend a lot of time just killing mobs.

Any mobs not meant for grinding will be harder, but you can probably still handle it fine.

Class also makes a difference. Some classes don’t get major skills until 30+ to faceroll mobs.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    So I know I'm on the new jack server for babies with the xp boost and stuff but beyond the fact that I quickly overleveled the quests around me, is combat supposed to be like

pointlessly easy?

My ninja can slide around and do flips and turn into a log and shit but from level 1-34 nothing actually harmed me beyond maybe ~ 10% of my health.

Eventually I wandered off to go fight monsters that were in the mid-40s and other than them being immune to some attacks, I still just tore everything apart while taking essentially no damage and it took a little longer

This game seems visually nice and fast-paced for a classical MMO, but none of the fights are remotely engaging

There are no dungeons or raids or anything that I know of. The end game is pvp and grinding drops from the overworld. Theres no instances or anything resembling them.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    The issue is compounded by the fact that you have the server xp boost (and you can get more xp if you find a Bell Server - an item people can buy that gives the server another exp boost for an hour). If you stick to the main story quest line you will be over leveled until the first 'expansion' area - Mediah. If you do every quest you come across, you should be pretty ahead of everything til the desert - Valencia. At those points, you'll need to focus on acquiring good gear/weapons or things slow down significantly. Everything before Mediah should be easy regardless of exp/gear for the most part (probably some exceptions but I didn't come across any on multiple characters).

Friends and I really enjoyed Black Desert until all the bonus packs (inventory/storage space + node management etc) ran out. The packs made the game way more functional and the minute they stopped, it felt very restricted and it was a choice between what amounted to a monthly sub or not playing. We chose to stop instead. :(

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

pointlessly easy?

This is basically what made me quit the game. At first, the PvE had at least some challenge, and the crafting took effort and time. Maybe too much time, but the point is that after awhile, the devs gave up and just made everything pointlessly easy because they figured all everyone wanted to do was get to the endgame and grind forever between PvP ganks and griefing.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So this game has finally started to click with me. Getting my node empire up and going and coming to grips with the fact that mob grinding is a huge part of the PvE has gotten me settled in to a nice rhythm. I also had like 200m silver dumped on me from my account just sitting idle and getting "Family Fame Funds", so my Dark Knight is a grind monster now with full +15 non-boss gear. Basically just grinding contribution as fast as I can to build my AFK cash empire.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Anyone get back into this with the PS4 release? Had a buddy stay at my house for a few days and watched him play.

So I hopped back on my PC and loaded it up. Still no idea what to do and my dude is 54 lol.

Is there cross play between the pc and ps4?

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    There isn't sadly. That was one of the questions I asked them when I went to their space at PAX this year. They were giving out codes but I wouldn't want to start over. At 54 you'd be questing/grinding in Mediah generally and at 56 you get an awakening quest for a new weapon + stuff. After that it's main story and grinding in whatever way you enjoy to get gear upgrades. The part I liked the most about BDO is exploring everywhere and unlocking the map nodes as I found the story to be pretty poor (up to Valencia part 1, I haven't gone beyond that yet). I do know that they added new solo fights for different bosses but other than that, I don't know what has changed in a year.

My friend plays it passively cause he loves the worker empire. I haven't been back since archer release but basically we grind out a bunch for a month or two them i'm good for several years lol. At somepoint I'll be back so we can explore the ocean + giant homeland. I basically told him I'd play for awhile when the new area comes out near the end of the year/early next year.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    People keep telling me to try this out, and I keep pointing out how dead the PA thread is for it as proof positive I shouldn't. :P

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    People keep telling me to try this out, and I keep pointing out how dead the PA thread is for it as proof positive I shouldn't. :P

No time to posts, too busy grinding for stones and ores on the season server!

• Options
    edited December 2020
    KiTA wrote: »

IMO the gameplay is not bad and the gameworld is huge with lots of eye candy but the enchantment system sucks. Have not played since the added the Lahn class so ~2 years. My country moves to a full corona lockdown in the next couple days until January 10 so aside from 2077 I have time to replay some of the older games.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=88xmV8LOL5Q

Another class this week plus season servers, something the added in June as a catchup mechanic for new and returning players
    Season servers are designed for new and returning players to help them get started in BDO but anyone can participate. There are various rewards you can collect by participating, which will give you a great start in terms of gear. The daily quests also help to introduce you to certain parts of the game without throwing you straight into the deep end. If you’re a veteran player then you can still benefit from playing on the season servers and it can be refreshing to play on them, but the rewards are not too desirable that you would feel forced to participate if you don’t want to.
    https://www.blackdesertfoundry.com/season-servers-guide/

Certainly a good idea even if it's restricted to one new class and finally Kakao Games will lose the NA/EU rights in February, it goes back to Pearl Abyss.
    So let's see if change enough to hold my attention.

tricon on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Man I actually liked this game when they had that battle royal mode. It was legit fun, and it even allowed you to make money without doing stuff I... didn't like. Grinding with boring skill setups is what made me hate this game because the classes and combat are so freaking good, only to be ruined by never needing to interact with most of it until you put thousands of hours into building up to be strong enough to PVP. Only in PVP do you get to use all the stuff the classes have and interact with excellent combat. Too bad before that point you pretty much just can't pvp without it being a waste of time.

That BR mode got rid of all those issues and let me enjoy the game. Then they got rid of it without ever intending to bring it back.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, grinding is the gamekiller here.
    Though it is good game, plenty of stuff to do outside pvp if you are willing to grind for stuff.
    I would recommend someone to pick it up, make a character and level up to 59 or so, get through Valencia storyline, try out life skills a bit.
    You can currently just buy pretty powerful gear for 1 coin that is powerful enough to last until 60 assuming you are not going for the most dangerous content solo. Though those are going to go away at some point so i would suggest keeping a spare weapon in storage.
    There are also season servers that are supposed to get you decent gear, so once next season starts that might be a thing for a newcome to give a go. No idea how those work, have not tried them (will once next season start, maybe try a guardian).

There is a ton of stuff to do, just be careful to not get bogged down on one thing, because getting anywhere is going to take forever, but you have always more to do, and something else to do if you get bored with what you are doing.

Currently i am levelling up farming and trying to gathe materials for a big boat. Like, more than half the map is water, and i have not even explored the continent fully yet.
    Will probably make a smaller boat first, takes like tenth of the time and even less of the resources.
    Just to explore a bit and get a change of pace.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    About the only thing holding me back from really committing to playing full time is the enchantment system. I like the lifeskilling system, building a little worker empire so I could craft a boat to sail and fish was great but my main reason for playing was the outstanding combat.

I started playing again in the spring (no surprise) got a few characters to 60, mainly hopped back in because they had the free TRI boss gear event going but that is probably as far as I will get ever gear wise because I have zero desire to interact with the enchantment system in any meaningful way.

• Options
    Happily, the gear can be bought and sold in the marketplace, so if someone feels the quest or event gear is not enough (should be for mainquest and stuff), you can just, get money through farming and logging and mining and horse breeding, etc..., and buy it.

Would still take a long time, the good stuff is super expensive, but you can get there using a steady and slow method, especially if someone enjoyes the lifeskill side of the game, there's good money in farming and trading if one has patience for it.
    And everyone needs logs, like my number one regret (other than not rolling a witch as my first character), is not saving all the logs i have gotten rid of to save space while logging.

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Happily, the gear can be bought and sold in the marketplace, so if someone feels the quest or event gear is not enough (should be for mainquest and stuff), you can just, get money through farming and logging and mining and horse breeding, etc..., and buy it.

Would still take a long time, the good stuff is super expensive, but you can get there using a steady and slow method, especially if someone enjoyes the lifeskill side of the game, there's good money in farming and trading if one has patience for it.
    And everyone needs logs, like my number one regret (other than not rolling a witch as my first character), is not saving all the logs i have gotten rid of to save space while logging.

yeah that was pretty much what I was doing before I petered out, slowly grinding silver to buy tet accessories; posting today inspired to log in and see where I left off with my characters. looks like my ninja main was at 61 and grinding SP in pollies and my musa/archer are just 57, I do have 1.2 bill, and I do have some time to spare...maybe I'll work on replacing another accessory :P

• Options
    I just finished the second part of Valencia quests (level 59, 55% to 60), will be doing sidequests for a bit, and working on a boat, before heading to Kamasylvia, where i have not been at all yet.
    Might go sailing instead if i get a boat done, map os over half water and i have level 50 quests telling to go explore so might as well.

And then try out the seasonal servers when the next season starts, probably either a sorcerer or guardian.
    Wonder if i can reset a pre existing character or if i have to delete one to make room, not a big loss either way, neither are past 20.

• Options
    I stopped playing just as they rolled out seasonal servers but from what I recall, you make a character specifically on the seasonal server but once the season is up, that character becomes a non seasonal character and if you met certain criteria/hit certain goals on the seasonal server you can get some pretty solid gear for your mains.

• Options
    Basicly my understanding as well.
    Though there was this npc dude who talked about transferring and loosing your gear/levels or something which made me think if i could just use one of my low level alts i never bothered to play as instead.
    I'll see when the season starts (no idea when that is, might end up levelling an alt while waiting the regular way if it goes past christmass).

• Options
    Short recap. The season servers are a good addition to the game. The enhancement system is a bit easier there but IMO it still sucks but it's less painful the way it works there. You don't need memory frags to repair the tuvala gear and the throw enough advice of valks at you that you don't need to build fail stacks the old way. My armor is full PEN, so equal to TET boss gear and I miss only 2 PEN accessories. The main story quest item rewards that you can enhance to tri are a good substitute. Good enough for the now higher midrange ~240ap zones to get some coins to buy better gear but it's still a long way outside of it.

The Nova class is fun but I doubt I will stick around. Overall the improved the game in the last couple years but the core is still there. If you did not like it a couple years ago I doubt you like it now but with the season and free tri oasis gear (good for alts or as backup) you have a good starting point not that I would pvp with it ......

uf04no2hd6f4.jpg

Don't mind me, just doing a quest. :P

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Apparently I own this game so I gave it a shot tonight.

Theres uh, theres a lot to this game huh

• Options
    Last day to transfer your data to PA.

Have you heard the news?

The ability to transfer your Black Desert Online game data to Pearl Abyss will come to an end on Monday, May 31st. 😥

This means that if you don’t transfer your game data before this date, your valuable game data will be deleted forever...

Since you’re reading this announcement, do any friends, acquaintances, or guildmates that might have not transferred their game data yet come to mind? If so, please take this chance to let them know!

Not only will the person who transfers their game data be rewarded, but so will the person who shared the news! You can say it’s two birds with one stone!
    https://www.naeu.playblackdesert.com/en-US/News/Detail?groupContentNo=927&countryType=en-US

• Options
    Went back to this because I got a new video card and yeah, full tilt, 130fps is pretty keen.

Anyways, I levelled my Valk to 56 and hit awakening and then saw the seasonal servers so what the hell. I rolled a guardian and while it initially feels clunky in combat flow, there are spots where you just mash everything in front of you and around you and well, pretty much anything you see. The seasonal servers seem pretty keen, and I haven't bothered to buy the pass, it's 30 bucks I think, but maybe if I complete all of it I will throw that at them.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Corsair looks interesting, will probably install on my series X and roll one.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai