As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I mean, which would you prefer, secreting away to a secluded wing of a palatial palace during a ball to take a wicked fat, straight up atomic dump in a nice fireplace, or trying to take the same weapons grade shock and awe shit in your friend Steve's bathroom with plywood walls while the person you like is right outside and can hear everything I mean everything oh god

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I don't know who you people are who are pooping after 8 AM but you got to get right with Jesus or something. Fiber I guess, goddamn.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Reginald isn't asking people to not shit in the fireplaces because they arent perfect places to take a shit he just resents the mess

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Reginald isn't asking people to not shit in the fireplaces because they arent perfect places to take a shit he just resents the mess

Reginald is angry that people have dared to already shit in his shitting places.

It would have been the perfect crime if you bunch didn't ruin it.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    A+ way to close out a thread

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    A weekly bath my odour is human-visible after like three days, three idle days after one day of work there are cartoon stink lines

To be honest, this is due in large part to your body replenishing your oils because you’re drying yourself out on the daily and the body overcompensates. If you bathed weekly your body would actually produce less gross stuff.

You’d still smell like bootybutt cheeks if you were sweatin’ a bunch though.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I really hope people only got up to tossing salad after a bath. Like, surely they know enough to be that sanitary right?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Ending the thread by talking about eating ass. By gods this really is the best thread on the boards.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Next thread:

Going down in [history]

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

looking it up, that trip would've cost twice the annual pay of a soldier after caesar had doubled their pay

also, a denarius at the time was 3.9 of silver, so it would've cost $1500 in modern currency

Worth it to check out Turkey, IMO.

sarukun wrote: »

that's from ephesus

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Over a thousand years too soon to check out Turkey.

Maybe a nice vacation in Anatolia instead?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    If you're a legionnaire and want to see Anatolia you can probably just wait. Odds are pretty decent you'll get deployed that direction eventually.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Yup, just hanging out at my post in Noricum in 465AD. Gonna be marching east any day now...

Shadowhope wrote: »

Over a thousand years too soon to check out Turkey.

Maybe a nice vacation in Anatolia instead?

Look, I can barely remember the names of places that exist now, my neurons are way too decrepit and encrusted with plaque to know things about old timey times.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    107 Year Old Irish Farmer Reflects on Change, 1965 2:49
    https://youtu.be/daIMIv8perM
    Turn on CC for subs

Michael Fitzpatrick talks about the many changes that have taken place in farming during his lifetime and recalls an eviction at Bodyke.

Michael Fitzpatrick moved from Clare to a farm near Maynooth as part of the Land Commission scheme in 1940 where he has lived ever since.

Now aged 107 Michael Fitzpatrick has experienced many changes in the world of farming. The biggest change that has taken place is the introduction of machinery and specifically the combine harvester.

Michael Fitzpatrick also remembers seeing an eviction taking place in Bodyke County Clare in June 1887. He recalls the event as being “very cruel” with women and children thrown out of their homes.

This episode of ‘Newsbeat’ was broadcast on 7 January 1965. The reporter is Jim Norton.

Last time it was Christopher Dorner

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Why did he use a different picture?

That seems like a question answerable only by the man himself if even that I couldnt tell you why I do things

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Something about the background of the Israeli-Palestine conflict just struck me today when I was talking to my wife who admitted she (not being a history fan) honestly really knew fuck-all about it.

Most people are aware that Israel/Israelites/Jews were part of the Roman Empire during the time of Jesus.

Once you've established that, you can generally cover the ownership of that region from that point until post WW2 in about a sentence.

When Rome fell in the west, the Byzantine/Eastern Roman Empire lived on; until they fell to the Ottoman's, who held the area until WW1, when the Ottoman empire dissolved and the British took over Imperial rule of the area.

Which is just a shockingly straightforward and relatively accurate summation of an area of the world that I think most Americans view as ancient, constantly in flux, and bizarrely complicated.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »
    Something about the background of the Israeli-Palestine conflict just struck me today when I was talking to my wife who admitted she (not being a history fan) honestly really knew fuck-all about it.

Most people are aware that Israel/Israelites/Jews were part of the Roman Empire during the time of Jesus.

Once you've established that, you can generally cover the ownership of that region from that point until post WW2 in about a sentence.

When Rome fell in the west, the Byzantine/Eastern Roman Empire lived on; until they fell to the Ottoman's, who held the area until WW1, when the Ottoman empire dissolved and the British took over Imperial rule of the area.

Which is just a shockingly straightforward and relatively accurate summation of an area of the world that I think most Americans view as ancient, constantly in flux, and bizarrely complicated.

it was ruled by arab caliphs until it was in part taken by crusaders, then it was under mamluk rule until the ottomans took it

also, initially there was supposed to be separate jewish and arab states established, but the various surrounding states couldn't come to terms on what the arab state would be while the jews were in agreement

also, pre-roman judea is complicated

Countries are a bit like coastlines. It's very easy to sum up a few thousand years of history but the closer you look the more history and the more complicated it gets.

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Countries are a bit like coastlines. It's very easy to sum up a few thousand years of history but the closer you look the more history and the more complicated it gets.

almost like onions...

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Started listening to the audiobook for “An Army at Dawn” which covers the North African campaign in WW2. Been interesting to far as it’s something I don’t know much about.

It’s pretty hilarious hearing the people at the time complain that the American recruits, the “quote unquote greatest generation”, are a bunch of soft, unruly, leftists that could never make a proper army.

It’s always a bit funny how cyclical so many aspects of history are, and what a constant the olds complaining about the indulgences of the youths are throughout all of history.

"Very easy" in the sense that you're doing it poorly and not really understanding it, sure.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I don't get it.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It’s Lee Harvey Oswald’s Marine Corps photo

Christopher Dorner was the ex-cop in Dallas who killed several cops himself, and people on social media frequently teick right wing idiots into retweeting him as a “fallen brother in blue”.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

I don't get it.

It's supposedly a picture of Lee Harvey Oswald, who was a marine. I say supposedly because I haven't fact checked this too deeply.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I see. Doesn't feel very clever to me, then. Are most members of Congress supposed to be able to recognize obscure photos? (This is rethorical.) You'd probably get the same response no matter who you asked.

This sort of thing is only funny when you expose a weakness specific to that person or their group, not when damn near everyone would have been equally fooled.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Good talk.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I see. Doesn't feel very clever to me, then. Are most members of Congress supposed to be able to recognize obscure photos? (This is rethorical.) You'd probably get the same response no matter who you asked.

nobody said it was clever. it's just internet trolls who want to fuck with shitty politicians for laughs. you're trying to make it out to be way more than the people actually doing it have any interest in.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Oh no, shitheads are getting unfair treatment by being lightly mocked this is awful

Like most things on twitter it literally doesn't matter. Go! Live your life!

I am in no way defending Gaetz or Schlapp (never heard of the second, the first is a world-class shitheel).

I just didn't think the tweet was funny, insightful, made its targets look particularly foolish or evil, and doesn't bring anything of value to a thread about history.

No, it doesn't really matter.

I was asking because I didn't understand the point of the tweet. Now that has been clarified, and I don't feel any need to give it more thought.

Myself I look forward to next year

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    edit: not helpful

Houk the Namebringer on
This discussion has been closed.