As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Athenor wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if you can't find the TNG crew because Paramount has a license with Mega Blox / Construx for Star Trek kits.

That didn't stop Brickmania from making their TOS crew and Enterprise Bridge playset but I'm sure the whole licensing issue would deter them now:

https://youtu.be/aKoiVIBI26Q

https://www.brickmania.com/starship-bridge/

These days, they're trying their best to take the legit route by acquiring official licenses from the likes of military manufacturers like Bell and Lockheed.

Sadly, their custom sci-fi products based on existing popular IPs (under the general umbrella term of "Dark Future") have dried up save for the odd Randoverse offering (which is where they've basically recycled their misprinted figures and pairing them with odd custom weapons and accessories and mixing them up in an eclectic, post-apocalyptic Mad Max-ish universe). The prints alone in their recent Doomsayer Brew Pub playset are pretty awesome but I couldn't swing the price myself:

https://www.brickmania.com/doomsayer-brew-pub-brickmania-randoverse/

I hear that they're making a rundown Randoverse arcade gallery next. Should be interesting and fun to see what they came up with for that playset.

Speaking of custom third party Lego playsets, there is the infamous strip club that Citizen Brick made a while back (very hard to find these days) that they humorously called the "Center for the Performing Arts":

https://youtu.be/2vQWnlofx1g

Hilarious stuff! I never bought from Citizen Brick before but I may have to check out their stuff, at least their military offerings.

Raiju on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’ve finished the ground floor of the Daily Bugle and there are two errors in the instructions! One is a piece graphic missing from a sub assembly step. It is just a number with no piece.

The second is an actual design flaw. The yellow breaker box on the left side of the set, if looking at the front, that hides the technic connector that allows the set to attach to other modular buildings is off. On all modular buildings, and the other three in this set, the connector is on the tenth and eleventh studs from the front and back edge respectively. This one is on the eleventh and twelfth studs making it unable to connect. I checked the instructions multiple times and went and checked my other buildings to be sure. It is very odd. You can easily fix it by moving the 2x2 sidewalk tile and a nearby 1x2, then moving the yellow piece forward one stud, and then using the extra 1x1 tile and 1x1 quarter circle tile to fill in the sidewalk gap.

It helps that the alleys have very rough cement look.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I finally started making my discovery, Hubble is finished and I’m like 3 bags into the shuttle proper. It’s a fun build so far and I can tell it’s going to look excellent.

Have to figure out how I’m going to display all my NASA legos together

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I don’t know if I needed to stay up for the midnight release of the rainbow set, but I thought I’d better just in case and managed to get one. This is going to win me some serious brownie points with my rainbows and diversity loving wife. She hasn’t told me about it which I hope means she is somehow unaware of its existence and it will be a complete surprise. Got a second one for my work as well as it’ll make a great desk display.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I don’t know if I needed to stay up for the midnight release of the rainbow set, but I thought I’d better just in case and managed to get one. This is going to win me some serious brownie points with my rainbows and diversity loving wife. She hasn’t told me about it which I hope means she is somehow unaware of its existence and it will be a complete surprise. Got a second one for my work as well as it’ll make a great desk display.

I hope she orders one to surprise you also.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So building Daigon Alley I messed up a sticker placement and put it on the wrong piece. I had pressed it down pretty good and it was on there for at least 24 hours. I figured I was screwed when I read this tip online that I have to share because it's a lifesaver.

The waxy paper that the stickers come on can be slid under the corner and give you and edge to remove them.

It works!!! I was in shock. Doesn't damage the sticker at all either.

I wiggled the wax paper under it and couldn't believe it. The corner came right up.

Just had to post it because I'm aware of using the brick separator to help place them, but had never seen this trick mentioned before.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    On the one hand I definitely don't need this very nice looking Serenity spaceship MOC being offered for £256 on eBay right now.

On the other hand I could get it and the crew from that custom minifig site and then go SWOOSH with it.

All good arguments.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    On the one hand I definitely don't need this very nice looking Serenity spaceship MOC being offered for £256 on eBay right now.

On the other hand I could get it and the crew from that custom minifig site and then go SWOOSH with it.

All good arguments.

I only see one good argument, and it involves SWOOSH.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hmmm actually looking at it more it may be knockoff Lego bricks and not the real thing, so perhaps I will be able to resist. I know someone was selling a fantastic Serenity kit for a while online but this isn't that.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Hmmm actually looking at it more it may be knockoff Lego bricks and not the real thing, so perhaps I will be able to resist. I know someone was selling a fantastic Serenity kit for a while online but this isn't that.
    My partner was very disappointed in the quality of the knock-off bricks. The model looked nice (it was a knock-off of a discontinued modular city building), but was a pain to build and contained many pieces that would not have passed quality control in a Lego factory.

She's actually considering Marie Kondo-ing the whole set in the trash. Even reselling it would feel disingenuous. :/

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Building the blacksmiths forge set and I have so many spare pieces. Like 10 extra in each bag.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I completely forgot about this set and luckily they are still up and available on Lego.com for sale.

Also saw this on their site. They are having their first Lego Con Virtual event on June 26 12PM EST/ 9 AM PST.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/lego-con?icmp=HP-SHH-Standard-NO_Hero_Legocon_HP-OC-NO-V93M9X7OL5

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    well, almost done with the shuttle

i got through sticker hell tonight. those cargo bay doors are legit evil, all those stickers on a curved surface? absolute monsters over at lego for that one

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    well, almost done with the shuttle

i got through sticker hell tonight. those cargo bay doors are legit evil, all those stickers on a curved surface? absolute monsters over at lego for that one

Yeah, but it looks so good, especially from a distance. :)

I did have to disassemble it and use all my sticker placing skills to do it right, though.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular

I really was expecting the Awesome set to be sold out or backordered status but it as easy peasy for me to purchase on the site when I remembered that it was released that day hours later.

• Options
    Man I finished the orbiter and it’s just so incredibly cool

I love this set. It’s just very striking, they did a great job on it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Season 2 of lego masters ep 1 was pretty good!

I think I liked last seasons teams better though? But there's plenty of time for them to grow on me.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »

I think I liked last seasons teams better though? But there's plenty of time for them to grow on me.

I liked that they actually showed all the builds this time rather than skip some or blow past them. Plus more on-screen building time.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I have a leftover NASA sticker that I neglected to put on my Discovery and not knowing where it goes will haunt me forever.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Elbasunu wrote: »

That dragon float that won was really impressive. Think it would work great as the basis for a Ninjago set.

see317 on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Can we please put Lego Masters S2 results behind spoilers?

• Options
    I have a leftover NASA sticker that I neglected to put on my Discovery and not knowing where it goes will haunt me forever.

Solution is to take it all apart and rebuild it so you can find where that sticker goes. :)

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

Solution is to take it all apart and rebuild it so you can find where that sticker goes. :)

I rebuilt my Slave 1 (set 8097) over the weekend and discovered I never put the stickers on. I have *no* idea where that sheet would be now, if I even have it.

Thankfully there's only a handful and I don't think they add much to the set.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Which ones? I'll tell you where they go.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited June 2021

Which ones? I'll tell you where they go.

Cool! It's one of the #5 ones - the straight NASA logo - lemme see if I can grab a pic.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The NASA logos go on the back of the cargo bay doors near the joint, I can post a picture

Edit:76mos1jun4kd.jpeg

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    God bless this message board.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who never uses the stickers?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I held off on them for a long time. But the Overwatch sets finally broke that. D. Va's mech just isn't complete without the logos on it.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Stickers have improved a lot over the years, they used to be pretty annoying (I think some even went over multiple bricks!). Nowadays I think they usually pretty essential at enhancing the set and used fairly sparingly, even on sets with a lot of them. I'd still prefer pre-printed 100% of the time but realize that's not practical.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I ordered the Apollo rocket

god damn

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021

I always apply the stickers, but I build Gundam models most of the time. My most recent Gundam build had over 500 decals.

For reference, RG Perfect Strike Gundam:
    s-l1600.jpg

P.S. That model is only 5" tall.

Heffling on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Welp, that post cured me of any interest I had in Gundam, so thank you :P

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Welp, that post cured me of any interest I had in Gundam, so thank you :P

To be fair, they look just fine without the decals. Just a bit of panel lining to accentuate the details and they look good.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I guess part of me just never got out of the kid mindset of Lego kits are meant to be built once, then torn apart and but into a large bin when I will then use them to build my own kits.

Sure, I could put a sticker on. But what if I want to make a rad submarine? Why does it say NASA then, huh?

Uh, speaking of. If I wanted to sort out my old Legos and see what sets I have, and advice? Are the instruction manuals available online? Any good way to look up online sets and see what jogs my memory?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I guess part of me just never got out of the kid mindset of Lego kits are meant to be built once, then torn apart and but into a large bin when I will then use them to build my own kits.

Sure, I could put a sticker on. But what if I want to make a rad submarine? Why does it say NASA then, huh?

Uh, speaking of. If I wanted to sort out my old Legos and see what sets I have, and advice? Are the instruction manuals available online? Any good way to look up online sets and see what jogs my memory?

Yes and yes. I think I managed to find everything on Bricklink. Just try to find unique weird parts, look up in what sets those appear and Bob's your uncle all the manuals will be there. Then see what exactly was in that set and sort that out from your bin to make sure the set is complete.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

If you wanted to catalog all your sets you can create an account on https://brickset.com/ which creates summaries of your sets by year, theme, minifigs, etc. You can also search the site by year and theme if you want to see what you may have purchased in the past and add it to your collection.

Lego.com should have all the manuals online.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I haven't been there in a while, but Peeron.com should let you inventory your bricks and can tell you which sets you can build from that. You can also add full sets to the inventory.

Inventorying LEGO is ton of work.

Tomanta on
  • Options

In that universe NASA now has a submarine. :P

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I’m making the a wing now and man this is a pretty hard build relatively. I’ve had to do a whole lot of staring at the instructions being like wait what do you want

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.