As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I definitely am curious about what the third faction is. I actually like both the ISA and Marshers, can’t really decide between the two. Probably will lean towards the former due to the paladins.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I definitely am curious about what the third faction is. I actually like both the ISA and Marshers, can’t really decide between the two. Probably will lean towards the former due to the paladins.

Welp.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    e4p8h7ukyrd1.png

Damnit, looks like I'll be playing bad guys again.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm curious what everyone back on Caen has been doing for the thousands of years humanity has been gone. I wonder if they'll make an appearance later on or if this game will stick to humans only. Or possibly add new alien races?

Anyway, I can't decide between the Marchers and the Continuum.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    persona4celestia.jpg
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited July 2020
    Oh hey, the Full Warcaster Rulebook PDF is up.

Relevant, since apparently the first wave of shipments is supposed to start being sent out this week?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, the Full Warcaster Rulebook PDF is up.

Relevant, since apparently the first wave of shipments is supposed to start being sent out this week?

I forgot that was happening. Not that I can really manage a miniatures game at the moment.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Anything interesting from virtual gencon?

edited December 2020
    Man, the Department of Bad Ideas had a rough year. They're still finding body parts in the vents after someone gave the Butcher a doomblade. Hopefully they aren't needed anytime soon.

https://youtu.be/tOEfhBM0KfQ

...oh fuck.

EDIT: For those who can’t watch the video, it has a bit involving a
    Deathjack’d Karchev.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Bruh. This thread's been going on since 2014? Ded game.

Seriously though, did anyone back the IK: Requiem kickstarter? Backers now have access to the main book. :) Thoughts?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's always kind of wild to see this thread pop-up. I haven't played Warmachine in years now, but it was a huge part of my life when I created this thread in 2014. Nearly all of the people I play WoW/Valheim/RPGs with nowadays are people who I met either playing Warmachine or drinking afterwards. That group stuck together through four different game store locations and it's eventual closure. We started a Slack on the last day of 2015 that's used to organize boardgames, videogames, and RPGs to this day. We'll be re-telling our Warmachine stories and our drinking stories until we forget them, I'm sure

Sorry for the self-indulgent posting. :smile:

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Warmachine has been a part of my life since 2003. We played a lot for few years then took a hiatus til 2013. The years after that were the most fun ever. Traveling all over Europe for the game and meeting so many amazing people. Past few years have been less playing, but its always fun to see some old friends at a convention or tournament.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Honestly I haven’t even really played WM/H for over a year even pre-pandemic. Kinda got tired of getting close to finishing out a theme, and then having a brand new theme pop up with entirely different models that was suddenly my faction’s only really competitive theme *CoughFlamesInTheDarkness*

I did pick up a Monsterpocalypse starter though since that seems up my alley, but once again I chose something nobody else in the area is playing...

Kinda interested in Warcaster, but there seems to be a surprising lack of discussion about it in the areas I normally discuss games.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    This game died off in my area around the same time 2015-ish. We used to be one of the biggest communities around, dozens of players on a given night. Hell, we hosted the Welsh Open every year, the biggest event in Europe.

There was a couple of things in quick succession that killed it.

First 3rd edition. You naturally shed some players with an edition change, but a lot of people quit over a perceived "dumbing down" when they added premeasuring. I understand why it went, it's a terrible new player experience to die because you misjudged something by a few millimetres, but I don't think anyone could have predicted what would actually happen. Turns out when you take out one of the main ways to introduce player error in a game with almost no randomness you get really stupid stuff like being able to plan out an entire turn with proxy bases before you could take it. Adding a "let's measure it out and see if you die" phase to the start of every turn was a horrible experience.

Then you get themes back. You know, the one thing that everyone agreed was broken about 2nd. Adding a bunch of free shit for taking models you were going to take anyway is never balanced and I wish game designers would stop doing this.

Then of course, there was a general feeling that 3rd wasn't playtested well, which was only compounded by PP doing rolling betas for model updates. It smacked of poor planning.

In the UK at least it's impossible to get any kind of new release until literal years after it's out because PP had a falling out with their European manufacturer and took over production, and rather unshockingly just send anything new to US stores first. (good luck getting one of those loot crates, people are getting them about sixth months behind) Then they compounded this by deciding a forge world equivalent with incredibly expensive shipping was a good idea for a game aimed at being competitive. Of course, those said models are the only thing that looks good. 90% of the warmachine range has aged very poorly. They aren't even competing with smaller companies on quality anymore, let alone GW.

Then, of course, games workshop released 8th edition 40k, 40k exploded including the tournament scene, so anyone left just jumped ship.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I loved WMH so much when I started playing. The models were decent and much better priced than GW, the game was relatively well balanced with an eye towards a tournament scene. So many fun games. Then yeah, Mk III hit and the game just wasn't nearly as fun to us. Compound that with the weird way PP handled the forum changeover really upset a couple guys in my group. The whole "nothing negative about the game" rule for the forums they were pushing just stuck in one guy's craw particularly and he will still rant about it if you get him started. ;)

This thread popping up today is serendipitous since I'm moving to Okinawa in a couple months and last night I was packing my WMH stuff away. I tell you it was heartbreaking packing up my fully painted Cryx army to put in long term storage. So much work that has sat/will sit on a shelf/in a box for years.

My group is definitely guilty of going all in on 40k when 8th came out and it was just a better game to us.

I was hoping this was a MkIV announcement actually since I got so nostalgic for the game last night.

Nealneal on
    I know I haven’t had a chance to get stuff on the tabletop lately (the local group meets at a time where it’s impossible for me to make due to work), but I’m still pretty positive on it. All the updates coming in via CID have been hitting all the right notes, and I really want to dust off my Retribution stuff with the latest round of updates. The tweaks to the Shyeel myrmidons makes them actually more of a threat.

Honestly, if you are looking for a Mark 4, check out what CID’s done, it basically *has* been a new edition.

persona4celestia.jpg
    I know I haven’t had a chance to get stuff on the tabletop lately (the local group meets at a time where it’s impossible for me to make due to work), but I’m still pretty positive on it. All the updates coming in via CID have been hitting all the right notes, and I really want to dust off my Retribution stuff with the latest round of updates. The tweaks to the Shyeel myrmidons makes them actually more of a threat.

Honestly, if you are looking for a Mark 4, check out what CID’s done, it basically *has* been a new edition.

Man, I didn't realize the Scyrah got another CID. I guess it's back to making lists I'll never buy and poking at the models I never finished putting together/painting...

I wish there was somewhere to play that didn't involve driving into Seattle/Bellevue/Tacoma.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

edited May 2021
    Going through and reading the new IKRPG Requiem books (they sent PDF's out to backers), and it's fascinating on some of the big things that have changed post-Claiming to the setting.
    Especially since the Protectorate is basically DEAD. Tristan Durant basically took all the sane followers and did a mass exodus across the sea to found a city, New Icthier, on the coast of Zu.

There's still a holdout of people that are guarding some of the vaults and cities, but it's basically a ghost nation now.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Some Protectorate went through the magic portal, right? I seem to recall fiction where the Harbinger led a bunch of people through it during the war.

I think Harby was trying to stop people from leaving so that Menoth could continue to claim those souls?

I'm glad they finally gave some answers on the Iosian's, it was nice to finally have an answer to where the hell the gods went.

edited May 2021
    EDIT: What happened to the Iosian gods? I didn't even realize there was a kickstarter.

Nobody on
    Nobody wrote: »
    EDIT: What happened to the Iosian gods? I didn't even realize there was a kickstarter.

They got eaten by the Internals, other than Scyrah who got pushed back into the real world to save her, and Nyssor who has already wandered off. I believe the idea is the internals needed them to learn how to enter the physical realm or something?

Interesting, is it portrayed as known by the Iosians or do they still blame the humans?

Interesting, is it portrayed as known by the Iosians or do they still blame the humans?

I mean, blaming the humans isn't wrong.
    Thanks, Thamar. One of the other conditions for the whole "gift of magic" thing was the Infernals demanding information on the iosian gods' location in the real world. They had gone into seclusion trying to figure out how to get back into Urcaen, the Infernals showed up due to her tip-off, it went poorly and some gave up giving Scyrah a chance at escape.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    This game died off in my area around the same time 2015-ish. We used to be one of the biggest communities around, dozens of players on a given night. Hell, we hosted the Welsh Open every year, the biggest event in Europe.

I tried to get people into Warmachine, but the incredibly poor balance of certain factions and the toxic community around it where I was killed the game pretty quickly. Like a lot of people are very competitive about their miniatures games, but Warmachine/Hordes attracted a group that basically drove everyone else away until nobody played it anymore. Then like you said, Games-Workshop pulling their big boy pants up and figuring out how to make 40k actually playable again did a lot of the rest of it for a lot of miniatures games in my store.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.

Thanks, Thamar. One of the other conditions for the whole "gift of magic" thing was the Infernals demanding information on the iosian gods' location in the real world. They had gone into seclusion trying to figure out how to get back into Urcaen, the Infernals showed up due to her tip-off, it went poorly and some gave up giving Scyrah a chance at escape.

Oooooooh
    Thamar really screwed up huh?

Oooooooh
    Thamar really screwed up huh?

I mean
    She did what she felt was necessary to release the humans of the Iron Kingdoms from the shackles of slavery. Was it maybe a bad bargain? Yeah. Did she have any other options? Not that I'm aware of.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I got really in to WM/H during MkII, but when MkIII came out I just lost the thread. It seemed like PP was just completely lost on what they wanted to do and really blew all the momentum they had built during MkII. Combined with a local scene that was extremely toxic at times, I quit miniature games altogether. As others have said 8th Ed. 40k brought me back to the table top and I've been big on 40K and AoS since. My poor Cygnar just sit here in my glass case not doing much. We still have a local WM/H scene but it's full of the same toxic over-competitive people it had back during MkII and I just won't engage with them. The 40K/AoS scene around here is much more open and friendly, even the competitive players.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I got really in to WM/H during MkII, but when MkIII came out I just lost the thread. It seemed like PP was just completely lost on what they wanted to do and really blew all the momentum they had built during MkII. Combined with a local scene that was extremely toxic at times, I quit miniature games altogether. As others have said 8th Ed. 40k brought me back to the table top and I've been hard on 40K and AoS since. My poor Cygnar just sit here in my glass case not doing much. We still have a local WM/H scene but it's full of the same toxic over-competitive people it had back during MkII and I just won't engage with them. The 40K/AoS scene around here is much more open and friendly, even the competitive players.

Hey, I had almost this exact experience. Except I'm only just now thinking about getting back into a minis game. Tempted to do Warhammer Underworlds. I just miss my trollbloods slamming dudes all over the place.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I got really in to WM/H during MkII, but when MkIII came out I just lost the thread. It seemed like PP was just completely lost on what they wanted to do and really blew all the momentum they had built during MkII. Combined with a local scene that was extremely toxic at times, I quit miniature games altogether. As others have said 8th Ed. 40k brought me back to the table top and I've been hard on 40K and AoS since. My poor Cygnar just sit here in my glass case not doing much. We still have a local WM/H scene but it's full of the same toxic over-competitive people it had back during MkII and I just won't engage with them. The 40K/AoS scene around here is much more open and friendly, even the competitive players.

I wonder what it is that causes this experience. It's exactly what killed the local community I tried to grow in my games store as well.

Oddly, all those players moved to Kings of War and have successfully killed that games community as well, while there are now at least 12-14 people regularly playing AoS (more playing 40k!). For a small town that's some solid numbers.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    The competitive WM/H community that I was part of in Mk2 was pretty chill.

But by Mk3 most of those players had drifted away and no one I used to play with still plays, as far as I know. My suspicion would be that the “competitive” players who stuck with Mk3 were more attached to the idea of a good hyper-competitive game than actually understanding what makes one good. Basically you were just left with the mid-tier of competition — the PTQ grinders, for anyone familiar with MTG parlance — which is where all the toxic personalities tend to sit.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Holy shit that's exactly beat for beat what happened with me and Warmachine. There wasn't any fun casual people left.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited June 2021
    I would also say that the gap between casual and competitive got a lot bigger in Mk3. Not in terms of skill, but in terms of approach to list building. Mk2 Warmachine lists lended themselves to a chill approach to list building — a little bit of everything. You’d have your combo pieces and power pieces, but the gap between what a casual player could put together and what was played at the top level wasn’t usually that massive.

Then Mk3 hit and the first broken list (which got nerfed) was Karchev + infinite Berserkers. No one was going to build that for fun. Mk2 had already started to inch in that direction with stuff like the Amon Vigilant tier list and the Baldur3 wold squad, but it really spiked in Mk3.

admanb on
    Part of the issue is that, if I understand correctly, WM/H was made explicitly to be more competitive friendly by making the rules less ambiguous. But once you position your game as "the competitive" option, you are automatically start grabbing the blowhards that quit playing 40k because people stopped playing with you because all you wanted to do was argue about the specific interpretation of a rule.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I never played the tabletop game, but I really like the IKRPG and the totally dug the art and fiction. Fell off for a bit and now I see its all in space? Bwuh?

Is there a source for the new fiction explaining what I missed?

Brody wrote: »
    Part of the issue is that, if I understand correctly, WM/H was made explicitly to be more competitive friendly by making the rules less ambiguous. But once you position your game as "the competitive" option, you are automatically start grabbing the blowhards that quit playing 40k because people stopped playing with you because all you wanted to do was argue about the specific interpretation of a rule.

In my experience, those blowhards never made their way into the WM/H community because they could no longer win games by arguing their opponents into submission. They usually ended up playing against the same 1-3 people they dragged from 40k who they could beat every time, then they'd show up at one real game day or tournament, get their shit pushed in, and never show up again.

Not to say WM/H didn't have its own varieties of blowhard, but that guy didn't make it.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    At least in my local scene the WM/H blowhards tended to be the types that would run roughshod over new and less experienced players, laugh about it in their little clique, and give that player zero advice on how to get better. They were the Dark Souls 'git gud' players of table top games.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Uh.

UH.

https://home.privateerpress.com/2021/06/04/this-is-not-a-keynote/

(read it in order, don't skip ahead.)

persona4celestia.jpg