As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everyone get in here! We're havin' Hurgusburgus in the [bad food] thread

ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All BaconsWashington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
edited September 2021 in Social Entropy++
In further discussions about all things bad food related, I got to experience Taco Bell's new Potatorito and it is quite good and filling but still makes me feel like death afterwards.

A fine sacrifice to fulfill my potatoes and beef allotment for the day.

Thegreatcow on

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Get you someone to look at you like she look at those Toaster Struedels.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Gulab jamum is too good

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Gulab Jamun is like.... Yeah.

I can't decide between Gulab Jamun, jaleebi, or halwa though.

Basically if there's an Indian sweet, I will gobble it up.

I've never tried marmalade and I kind of want to? but I also don't want to just buy a jar and then not like it?

• Options
    I ordered some with my dinner thinking oh I'll just eat one of the three that comes to an order

Nope. I ate all three.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Indian sweets really nail the balance of not being sugar bombs, which I appreciate as someone who does not like desserts that are just What If You Ate Sugar.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    family friend made some halwa for Diwali last year and I am still thinking about it.

semolina pudding with essentially pure brown sugar flavouring and then a little bit of dried fruit and some pistachios.

she also made some ladoo and somebody brought Jaleebi and I was honestly the happiest fat white lady ever.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hmm. I just realized that in this Golden Age of Takeout, I can finally just order like a dozen samosas and see how many I can get through without having to say the order out loud to the server who is looking at me.

I would like to think I'm not going to do this thing, but I'll settle for hoping that the number is smaller than I always suspected it was.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Hmm. I just realized that in this Golden Age of Takeout, I can finally just order like a dozen samosas and see how many I can get through without having to say the order out loud to the server who is looking at me.

I would like to think I'm not going to do this thing, but I'll settle for hoping that the number is smaller than I always suspected it was.

It's only hubris if you fail.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

I've never tried marmalade and I kind of want to? but I also don't want to just buy a jar and then not like it?

Marmalade is very bitter, heads up in case that's an issue for you.

Also I find indian desserts incredibly sweet, the idea that they're not primarily sugar bombs is wild to me

• Options
    Yeah I mean the gulab jamum what I just ate were literally soaked in syrup

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Maybe you could find a jam sampler that has a small jar of marmalade? Enough to sample it, but not enough to feel bad about throwing out if you don't like it.
    Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Bonne-Maman-Assorted-Mini-Jams/dp/B008X8EGGK/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2CBFRNGX7D5AB&dchild=1&keywords=preserve+sampler&qid=1622754602&s=grocery&sprefix=preserve+sampler,grocery,196&sr=1-8

Though, those are tiny jars and pretty pricey for 5 tiny jars of preserves.
    Personally, I think I'd gamble the 5 bucks on just getting a small jar at the grocery store and live with the guilt for tossing it out if I didn't like it.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Marmalade is very bitter, heads up in case that's an issue for you.

Also I find indian desserts incredibly sweet, the idea that they're not primarily sugar bombs is wild to me

whoops there I went vagueposting again

yeah Indian desserts aren't not-sweet but they tend to have a lot of flavor and depth beyond "it's a huge pile of sugar!" that I really like

or I'm just weird which also seems extremely likely

• Options
    No I get what you mean, I think it's just that I prefer desserts that aren't very sweet. In the case of most indian desserts I find the other flavours (which are often quite strong) get a bit drowned out by the sugar. And my anosmia probably means I'm missing some aromatics which could help balance that.

• Options
    Ah sleep! That halcyon state where anything is possible, your fantasies can range wild, unconstrained by the boundaries of possibility

My brain:
    So you're in line at a fast food place, right?
    and you notice that their 'spicy chicken sandwich'
    is just absolutely drenched with something called "peppermint ranch".
    You decide not to order this item.
    You feel empowered.

(just remembered this very stupid bad food dream I had)

• Options
    Peppermint ranch sounds like a strip club or something

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Speaking of desserts I bought some tonka beans via Amazon and will be experimenting with them in various ways.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Picked up Whataburger on the way home and didnt realize until just now that they didn’t offer ketchup and now I have to use plain ole Heinz from my fridge instead of the perfect Whataburger spicy ketchup.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I know absolutely nothing about gulab jamum other than it is a delight to say.

Gulab jamum.

Guuuuulab jamooooom.

• Options
    Anyway, I'm gonna get Indian food tonight. What should I get?

Oh tikka masala, like I always get? With an extra order of garlic Naan?

Wow, thread you guys know me so well that sounds great thank you.

• Options
    Jugg if they have gulab jamun you should get it

• Options
    GOOOLAAAAAAAHB JAAAAMOOOM

I'm sorry it's so fun to say I don't even know what's in it

• Options
    It's deep fried milk solids, juggs.

It's soaked in syrup and cardemom and rosewater.

• Options
    they're little balls of sugar heaven.

just perfect for you, Juggs

• Options
    Oh fuck yeah that my friends is a dessert and you know what the Juggs is all about?

Did you say motherfuckin desserts?

Hell yeah you did cause that's what it is good job

• Options
    Imagine if you could slowly deep fry balls sweetened condensed milk, then soak that in a syrup that's even more decadent.

• Options
    Buddy I'm gonna have to remind you this is a 13+ forum there may be children reading this filth but also no yeah absolutely 100% that's a thing we should figure out how to do.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Tonight I'm going to use some leftover pork loin to make a "curry of pork" recipe out of an American cookbook from 1931 (Aunt Sammy's Radio Recipes Revised, specifically). The ingredients as written are:
    • 1 cup sliced onion
    • 2 tablespoons pork drippings
    • 4 cups diced tart apples
    • 2 cups chopped lean cooked pork
    • 1 cup thin gravy
    • 1 teaspoon curry powder
    • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    • salt to taste

The instructions are pretty simple, sweat out the onions in the drippings, add the apples and cook until tender, then mix in the rest of the ingredients and heat everything through. I think I'll up the curry powder amount, a teaspoon seems a bit scant for that much food. The use of apples is interesting, I mean I think apples and pork actually go together quite nicely but I wonder if the use of tart apples and lemon juice was to evoke the tanginess of tamarind or like mango pickles?

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Seems like a pretty decadent recipe from the Depression era. I would've expected something like

1 whole onion diced
    Cup of dust
    Whisper your memories of pork into a cloth handkerchief and then wring it out into the pot
    2 cups standing tire water

Once the water is boiling and you've pried John Steinbeck off the stove pipe, stare, despondent, at your fallow fields and the winking gravestones of 3 generations of family you've had to bury.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

Seven. It was seven samosas, and now I can go fall into a food coma and never do this again.

Edit: Okay, eight. I'm putting them away now, I swear.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Seems like a pretty decadent recipe from the Depression era. I would've expected something like

1 whole onion diced
    Cup of dust
    Whisper your memories of pork into a cloth handkerchief and then wring it out into the pot

Once the water is boiling and you've pried John Steinbeck off the stove pipe, stare, despondent, at your fallow fields and the winking gravestones of 3 generations of family you've had to bury.

So I was curious about that too because a lot of the recipes aren’t particularly extravagant but they also don’t scream depression-era cooking, and they actually explain in the foreword that these recipes were originally broadcast over the radio by the Department of Agriculture beginning in 1926, so a few years before the depression really kicked off.

• Options

Seven. It was seven samosas, and now I can go fall into a food coma and never do this again.

Edit: Okay, eight. I'm putting them away now, I swear.

Don't you dare.

• Options
    Anyway, I'm gonna get Indian food tonight. What should I get?

Oh tikka masala, like I always get? With an extra order of garlic Naan?

Wow, thread you guys know me so well that sounds great thank you.

It has been 0 days

• Options
    You are now all contractually obligated to get Indian food.

As commanded by The Pact.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    jgeis wrote: »

1 whole onion diced
    Cup of dust

So I was curious about that too because a lot of the recipes aren’t particularly extravagant but they also don’t scream depression-era cooking, and they actually explain in the foreword that these recipes were originally broadcast over the radio by the Department of Agriculture beginning in 1926, so a few years before the depression really kicked off.

You are absolutely cooking a radio-audience version of a Ranji Smile recipe. He was to curry powder in the early 20th century what Emeril Lagasse was to creole seasoning in the early 2000s.

Ranji Smile was a celebrity chef when that meant having your own restaurant in a hotel that people travelled from all over the country to eat at. If you want his full biography and some of his other recipes, I highly recommend Eight Flavors: The Untold Story Of American Cuisine by Sarah Lohman.

The book also contains the best recipe for chocolate mousse I have ever made. In the soy sauce chapter, if that piques your interest.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Indian sweets really nail the balance of not being sugar bombs, which I appreciate as someone who does not like desserts that are just What If You Ate Sugar.

I, uhhhh, have the exact opposite experiences with Indian sweets? Every time my boss or coworkers bring them in, I try to eat one to be nice, and then go into a sugar coma for a few hours

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

1 whole onion diced
    Cup of dust

You are absolutely cooking a radio-audience version of a Ranji Smile recipe. He was to curry powder in the early 20th century what Emeril Lagasse was to creole seasoning in the early 2000s.

Ranji Smile was a celebrity chef when that meant having your own restaurant in a hotel that people travelled from all over the country to eat at. If you want his full biography and some of his other recipes, I highly recommend Eight Flavors: The Untold Story Of American Cuisine by Sarah Lohman.

The book also contains the best recipe for chocolate mousse I have ever made. In the soy sauce chapter, if that piques your interest.

I would actually be very interested in that chocolate mousse recipe.

Also this curry is really tasty. It's far from the most dynamic curry I've ever had, but it's really, uh, harmonious? Everything blends together really pleasantly. It's a little sweet, a touch sour, and it feels immediately like a comfort food even though I've never had it before.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I wish I could enjoy Indian sweets but they all have cardamom and cardamom tastes like dirt to me.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Cardamom is a spice that works at a liquor store and likes to flirt with and flatter milfs.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    #pipe wrote: »
    I wish I could enjoy Indian sweets but they all have cardamom and cardamom tastes like dirt to me.

Kaju katli maybe? No cardamom in that that I've ever had

Man I do agree that most Indian sweets are too sweet for my tastes but I fuckin love kaju katli

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
This discussion has been closed.